|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 36: "Mkushi,” Zambia had been independent since October of what year?
2. What did the doctor prescribe for the narrator’s mother during her difficult pregnancy in Chapter 25: "Mutare General"?
(b) Gentle exercise.
(c) Bed rest at the hospital.
(d) Drinking tea.
3. What word in the book refers to a compact 9mm submachine gun?
4. What was Mum diagnosed with in Chapter 40: "Now"?
(a) Pancreatic cancer.
(c) Manic depression.
5. Serioes Farm was three to six hours from what impoverished town, according to the narrator in Chapter 36: "Mkushi”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bobo called after she began attending boarding school?
2. What word from Chapter 31: "Moving On" refers to any of several (usually white) herons that grow long, graceful plumes?
3. Who did the narrator and her sister stay with while their father went to fetch their mother in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
4. Vanessa attended a private coed school focusing on what in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
5. How many peasant farmers each raised one acre of tobacco at the farm when the Fullers arrived in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the history of land acclimation in Rhodesia in Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi"?
2. Where was the Fullers’ farm located in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"? How were the people described?
3. What political changes took place after the revolution in Chapter 22: "Independence"? What interim government was formed?
4. What happened when Bobo’s father went to retrieve their mother from the hospital in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
5. What caused Bobo to become ill in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"? Who helped her overcome her illness?
6. When did Bobo begin attending boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? How was the school described?
7. How is Mum’s behavior described in Chapter 31: "Moving On"?
8. What job position did Bobo’s father accept in Chapter 32: "Malawi"? Who was his employer?
9. How was Devuli Ranch described in Chapter 27: "Ranch Work"? Why did Dad herd the cattle gently there?
10. How was the Fuller family’s new home described in Chapter 33: "Touching the Ground"?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)