|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Vanessa was expecting her what child in Chapter 40: "Now"?
2. What dictator was Dad’s new employer in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
(a) President Kenneth Kaunda.
(b) Robert Gabriel Mugabe.
(c) President Ian Douglas Smith.
(d) Dr. Hastings Kamuzu Banda.
3. What did Mum believe the ranch managers were attempting to do in Chapter 30: "Nervous Breakdown"?
(a) Rape her.
(b) Send her secret messages.
(c) Kill her husband.
(d) Poison her.
4. Who did Mum tell not to smoke marijuana in the house in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
5. What did the narrator’s sister convince her to eat to help her when the narrator was ill in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"?
(b) An apple.
(d) An orange.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator’s family begin spending weekends in Chapter 34: "The Goat Shed"?
2. For how long did the narrator and her sister go on a trip with their father in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"?
3. What word in the book refers to a compact 9mm submachine gun?
4. What did the Fuller family eat at every meal after the narrator’s father accepted a job appointment in Chapter 24: "Devuli"?
5. How old was Bobo when Vanessa went away to boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wild animal did Mum rescue in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"? How did she feed it?
2. What caused Bobo to become ill in Chapter 26: "Loo Paper and Coke"? Who helped her overcome her illness?
3. How did life for the Fuller family change after power was returned to the British in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
4. How is the geography of Malawi described by the narrator in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
5. How does the narrator describe the new black and mixed race students at her school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
6. When did Vanessa leave for boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? Where did Bobo complete her studies at this time?
7. How does the narrator compare the Fuller family prior to and after the death of Richard in Chapter 30: "Nervous Breakdown"?
8. How does the narrator describe the history of land acclimation in Rhodesia in Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi"?
9. Where was the Fullers’ farm located in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"? How were the people described?
10. What happened when Bobo’s father went to retrieve their mother from the hospital in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)