|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One in how many people had AIDS in the area of Zambia described in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
2. Why did Mum chide the narrator’s father when they visited her at the hospital in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
(a) The girls’ hair and fingernails were dirty.
(b) They lacked money for the hospital bill.
(c) The dogs had not been fed in days.
(d) The cattle had not been sold.
3. Who was elected Prime Minister of Zimbabwe in 1980?
(a) Kenneth Kaunda.
(b) Ian Douglas Smith.
(c) Robert Gabriel Mugabe.
(d) Dr. Hastings Kamuzu Banda.
4. What did the narrator and her sister transform into a nursery in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
(a) A storeroom.
(b) A bathroom.
(c) A kitchen.
(d) An attic.
5. How many acres of grounds did the boarding school have that Bobo began attending?
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after the 1980 elections, Bobo was one of only how many white students at her boarding school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
2. How many peasant farmers each raised one acre of tobacco at the farm when the Fullers arrived in Chapter 32: "Malawi"?
3. Where did Bobo’s parents go on a short vacation after Mum left the hospital in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
4. Who was the first black student to arrive at Bobo’s school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
5. What did Mum call for Dad to bring her when she was wading in the water in Chapter 31: "Moving On"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the political atmosphere of Zambia in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
2. How did the Fuller family meet Charlie in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"? What relationship did she form with the family?
3. What plan did Vanessa develop to help the family in Chapter 31: "Moving On"?
4. How does the narrator describe the recent events in Mum’s life in Chapter 40: "Now"?
5. What wild animal did Mum rescue in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"? How did she feed it?
6. How does the narrator describe the new black and mixed race students at her school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
7. How was the Fuller family home described in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"?
8. What political changes took place after the revolution in Chapter 22: "Independence"? What interim government was formed?
9. What position did Bobo’s father accept in Chapter 24: "Devuli"? How is the setting of this chapter described?
10. How was Devuli Ranch described in Chapter 27: "Ranch Work"? Why did Dad herd the cattle gently there?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)