|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The desk where Bobo did her correspondence lessons was next to what in Chapter 21: "School"?
(a) Her brother’s desk.
(b) Her sister’s desk.
(c) Her mother’s desk.
(d) Her father’s desk.
2. After how much time did Bishop Abel Tendekay Muzorewa give power back to the British in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 14 months.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 11 months.
3. Vanessa told her mother that she and Bobo would do what when they visited her in the hospital in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
(a) Fix a nursery for the baby.
(b) Buy her a new puppy.
(c) Free the rabbits.
(d) Feed the dogs.
4. Where did the narrator’s family begin spending weekends in Chapter 34: "The Goat Shed"?
(a) Cape Town.
(c) Cape Maclear.
(d) Victoria Falls.
5. What word from Chapter 31: "Moving On" refers to any of several (usually white) herons that grow long, graceful plumes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the hospital where the narrator’s mother gave birth in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
2. In Chapter 23: "Losing Robandi,” the narrator states that white settlers had been tricking black Africans out of land since what year?
3. The narrator’s father herded the wild cattle gently because stressed cows do what?
4. What did Mum believe the ranch managers were attempting to do in Chapter 30: "Nervous Breakdown"?
5. What did Vanessa do when Bobo asked about the baby in Chapter 29: "Richard"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Vanessa leave for boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? Where did Bobo complete her studies at this time?
2. What “close call” happened with at a checkpoint in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
3. What wild animal did Mum rescue in Chapter 37: "Balm in the Wounds"? How did she feed it?
4. How does the narrator describe the new black and mixed race students at her school in Chapter 22: "Independence"?
5. Why did Bobo’s mother chide her father in Chapter 28: "Charlie Chilvers"?
6. Where was the Fullers’ farm located in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"? How were the people described?
7. How does the narrator describe the political atmosphere of Zambia in Chapter 36: "Mkushi"?
8. When did Bobo begin attending boarding school in Chapter 21: "School"? How was the school described?
9. What job position did Bobo’s father accept in Chapter 32: "Malawi"? Who was his employer?
10. How does the narrator describe the recent events in Mum’s life in Chapter 40: "Now"?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)