|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sampson's pretend squire leave him?
(a) He says Sampson is behaving as mad as Don Quixote.
(b) Sampson has no money to pay him.
(c) He has become friends with Sancho who will be hurt.
(d) He decides the wants to be the knight himself.
2. Why do so many people in Barcelona know Don Quixote's name?
(a) Sancho goes ahead and tells everyone who is coming.
(b) People there have read the Benengeli history.
(c) Don Antonio has pinned his name across his back.
(d) Barcelona people are friendlier than others.
3. How does Sancho's common sense come though during the telling of the Countess' story?
(a) He questions why a Queen would die at the marriage of her daughter.
(b) He suspects the Countess is another of the household maids.
(c) He says that the idea of turning the princess into a brass monkey is absurd.
(d) He does not believe Don Clavijo could become a metal crocodile.
4. Why were the Duke and Duchess eager to meet Don Quixote and Sancho?
(a) They had read about them in the First Volume.
(b) They are bored and want a diversion.
(c) They are madder than Don Quixote.
(d) They think Quixote is a real knight.
5. Where are Quixote and Sancho taken by the ten horsemen?
(a) To La Mancha
(b) Back to the castle of the Duke and Duchess
(c) To the galleys
(d) To the inn that Quixote thinks is a castle
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Quixote continue his tradition of siding with the underdog?
2. On the galley, Don Quixote gets a royal greeting but what happens to Sancho Panza?
3. What happens to the boat Sancho and Quixote expropriate on the river?
4. What ignoble disaster befalls Don Quixote and Sancho out in the countryside?
5. How does Cervantes work yet another side plot into his story at the point of boarding the ships?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Don Antonio disappointed that Quixote and Sancho are returning home?
2. What occurs when Don Diego de Miranda joins Quixote and Sancho on the road?
3. Describe the irony of Sancho's eating habits as governor of the island of Barataria.
4. How does the Duchess use her conversation with Sancho Panza?
5. What event causes Don Diego to invite Don Quixote and Sancho to his house?
6. What elaborate set-up does Don Antonio Moreno arrange to have fun with Don Quixote and Sancho?
7. What causes Don Quixote and Sancho to leave the young shepherdesses they had promised to champion?
8. What advice does Don Quixote send Sancho in a letter?
9. Describe Don Quixote's emotional state as he returns to his home.
10. What happens when Don Quixote is finally defeated by another knight who orders him to return to La Mancha.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)