|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
(a) How his goat is the enchanted Leandra.
(b) How Leandra became a shepardess.
(c) Unrequited love for Leandra
(d) Betrayal by a woman
2. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
(a) He is transformed into a knight errant.
(b) He starts braying like his mule.
(c) He becomes deathly ill and cannot expel the substance.
(d) He spits it out because it tastes so disgusting.
3. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
(a) Zoraida's father learns of her desire to go to a Christian country and helps them.
(b) They are freed in a raid by spanish troops.
(c) She gives them enough money to ransom themselves and buy a boat.
(d) They manage to rob the cruel Moor who is their master.
4. What is the cause of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza getting a brutal beating from the Yanguesan carriers?
(a) Sancho's attempt to get back hos mule
(b) Rozinante's attempt to mate with their pirze mares
(c) Don Quixote's idea that the carriers are enemy soldiers.
(d) Don Quixote's attempt to secure two horses for himself and Sancho
5. What symbolism does Cervantes use to express the closeness of Quixote and Sancho?
(a) The sun and the moon
(b) The Knight of the Wood and his squire
(c) The closeness of Dapple and Rozinante
(d) The common belief in enchantment
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
2. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
3. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
4. What is the irony when Don Quixote speaks to a group of people?
5. Andres, the boy Don Quixote saves from a beating in his early adventures, shows up and tells Quixote never to help him again. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
2. What is the significance of the Knight of the Wood?
3. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
4. Summarize Don Quixote's idea of the Golden Age.
5. Describe how Cervantes suggests that Don Quixote descends into madness.
6. What is Sancho's comic rationale for believing Don Quixote is not in an enchanted cage at all?
7. Describe how Cervantes presents Sancho as one motivated by money.
8. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
9. What happens when the Don and Sancho meet an acting troupe still in costume?
10. Describe Dorothea's relationship with Don Fernando.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)