|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
(a) He starts braying like his mule.
(b) He is transformed into a knight errant.
(c) He becomes deathly ill and cannot expel the substance.
(d) He spits it out because it tastes so disgusting.
2. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
(a) A parallel is drawn between Don Quixote and King Arthur.
(b) A narrator is introduced who discovers an old manuscript about Don Quixote.
(c) A sage is found to travel with Don Quixote and write down his adventures.
(d) Lengthy poetic renditions are added to give the story more authenticity.
3. Why is the canon so amazed at Don Quixote's speech?
(a) Because he can talk for such a long time without stopping.
(b) Because he is right about everything he says.
(c) Because he is so articulate and convincing.
(d) Because none of it makes any sense whatsoever.
4. What is Cervantes' complaint in the prologue to the second part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) That he has made no money off of the first part already in circulation.
(b) That the first part is really enough except for the public demand for more.
(c) That he is being forced to write a second part to satisfy royalty.
(d) That some writer had written a second part plagirizing the character of Don Quixote.
5. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
(a) To remain in his own station and not think of governorships.
(b) That this time he will surely die.
(c) That he must come home with another 100 crowns or not come home at all.
(d) That he should break his leg and get out of going with the madman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What constantly overcomes Sancho Panza's skepticism about Don Quixote?
2. What coincidence does Cervantes use to untangle some of the plot in Chapter 36?
3. How can the first of Don Quixote's adventures be described?
4. Who judges the basin to be a helmet, though incomplete?
5. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Don and Sancho meet an acting troupe still in costume?
2. How does Don Quixote agree to return to La Mancha?
3. Describe how Cervantes suggests that Don Quixote descends into madness.
4. Relate Don Quixote's battle with the giant of Micomicon.
5. Discuss Don Quixote's choice of penance after the release of the prisoners.
6. Describe the story of the Captive Captain.
7. Describe Rocinante.
8. Tell the story of how Don Quixote becomes entangled with the criminal, Gines de Pasamonte.
9. Summarize Don Quixote's idea of the Golden Age.
10. How does Teresa Panza show her practical side?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)