|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
(a) The princess of El Toboso.
(b) The daughter of a wealthy man who begins acting as a shepherdess.
(c) The milkmaid who marries a king.
(d) A cruel murderess.
2. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
(a) She thinks he is the most handsome man she ever saw.
(b) Her father wants to marry her off to an old Moor gentleman.
(c) She fears being sold into slavery.
(d) She wants to leave and go to a Christian nation.
3. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
(b) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
(c) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
(d) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
4. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) The barber and the priest
(b) The mischevious student Sampson
(c) The mayor of La Mancha
(d) His housekeeper and his niece
5. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
(a) Large rocks
(c) Oak trees
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sancho Panza doubt that the enchanted demons are real?
2. As Dorothea tells her story, what does Cardenio suddenly realize?
3. What does the imagery of the Golden Age represent to Don Quixote?
4. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
5. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Don and Sancho meet an acting troupe still in costume?
2. Why is Don Antonio disappointed that Quixote and Sancho are returning home?
3. How does Don Quixote contrast the life of a soldier and that of a scholar?
4. What trick is played on Sancho that makes him resign his governorship and return to Don Quixote?
5. What is the story of the Princess Micomicona, of the land of Micomicon?
6. Discuss Don Quixote's illusions that cause him to do battle with strange things.
7. What happens on the River Ebro?
8. Why do the ten horsemen take Quixote and Sancho back to the castle of the Duke and Duchess?
9. How do many people abuse Don Quixote's madness?
10. How does the Duchess use her conversation with Sancho Panza?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)