|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the canon's opinion of the chivalric tales?
(a) He says that he has never read one of them.
(b) He thinks they should be read by all educated people.
(c) He hopes they will restore chivalry to the world.
(d) He says that the so-called books of chivalry are most harmful to the commonwealth.
2. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
(a) Gines de Pasamonte rides up disguised as a gypsy but Sancho Panza recognizes him.
(b) Don Quixote finds the mule in the castle stables.
(c) The mule has bucked off its captor and headed back to La Mancha.
(d) Don Quixote offers a large reward for the mule.
3. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
(a) He is actually a woman.
(b) He has not actually been knighted.
(c) He is actually Sampson.
(d) He is another unreal enchantment.
4. Why do Sancho and the squire of the Knight of the Wood go off by themselves?
(a) Don Quixote orders them to go away.
(b) The Knight of the Wood is shocked that Sancho speaks up so freely.
(c) They want to talk about their crazy masters.
(d) The knight's squire is Sancho's cousin.
5. As Don Quixote and Sancho Panza look for water in the night, what spooks them?
(a) A metallic clanking and the sound of running water
(b) A drum beating in the distance
(c) The sound of many horses
(d) A ghostly moan over the sound of water
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
2. Found lying on the ground and severely wounded, where is Don Quixote taken by a neighbor?
3. When Don Quixote sets out again on adventures, who does he take with him?
4. What device does Cervantes use to introduce the comedic nature of Don Quixote?
5. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Don Quixote's choice of penance after the release of the prisoners.
2. Relate how Sancho Panza prevents Don Quixote from charging toward a loud noise in the dark of night.
3. Relate Don Quixote's battle with the giant of Micomicon.
4. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
5. What is Sancho's comic rationale for believing Don Quixote is not in an enchanted cage at all?
6. Discuss Marcela's defense of herself at the funeral of Chrisostom.
7. Discuss Don Quixote's illusions that cause him to do battle with strange things.
8. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
9. Describe Dorothea's relationship with Don Fernando.
10. Discuss how Don Quixote always explains away any adverse events or circumstances.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)