|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
(b) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
(c) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
(d) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
2. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
(b) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
(c) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
(d) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
3. What is the challenge to knight errantry presented to Don Quixote by Vivaldo?
(a) Vivaldo says that the rules of knight errantry need to be rewritten.
(b) Vivaldo suggests that the day of knights errant are long past and Don Quizxote should go home.
(c) Instead of making their last moments in honor of their ladies, knights should instead submit themselves to God.
(d) Vivaldo challenges Don Quixote to find and slay a dragon.
4. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
(a) Asking about Dulcinea
(b) Reminding Quixote about his knightly obligations
(c) Talking about Sancho Panza
(d) Talking about knight errantry
5. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
(a) He turns it around and gets Sancho to pay him a monthly wage.
(b) He fires him and starts looking for a replacement.
(c) He pays him with enchanted money that Sancho cannot see.
(d) He says he never read anything like that in his books about knight errantry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In yet another tale within the tale, who does the captive captain contrive to rescue?
2. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
3. Why is the canon so amazed at Don Quixote's speech?
4. What happens to Camilla, Anselmo, and Lothario at the end of the tale within the tale?
5. What secret does Don Fernando confide to Cardenio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before the start of the second part of their adventures, why do Sancho and Don Quixote have a disagreement?
2. Discuss Don Quixote's choice of penance after the release of the prisoners.
3. How does the student Sampson enter into Don Quixote's life?
4. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
5. Describe Dorothea's relationship with Don Fernando.
6. Give a physical description of Quizada before he transforms himself into Don Quixote.
7. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
8. Summarize Don Quixote's idea of the Golden Age.
9. Describe how Cervantes presents Sancho as one motivated by money.
10. Discuss Marcela's defense of herself at the funeral of Chrisostom.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)