|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
(a) He points Rocinante in the wrong direction.
(b) He loosens Quixote's saddles so it falls off.
(c) He ties Rocinante's back legs together.
(d) He puts a sleeping powder into Don Quixote's wine.
2. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
(b) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
(c) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
(d) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
3. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
(a) Her father wants to marry her off to an old Moor gentleman.
(b) She thinks he is the most handsome man she ever saw.
(c) She fears being sold into slavery.
(d) She wants to leave and go to a Christian nation.
4. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A cane
(b) A pillowcase
(c) A teapot
(d) A bottle
5. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
(a) By seeing him dead and buried at the end of Part Two.
(b) By getting a legal restraining order.
(c) By allowing only a select few people to see his work.
(d) By writing the rest of the books in code.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Quixote send Sancho Panza on a mission?
2. These early adventures of Don Quixote establish what theme that runs throughout the novel?
3. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
4. What secret does Sancho Panza overhear and tell to Don Quixote?
5. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the student Sampson enter into Don Quixote's life?
2. Discuss how Don Quixote always explains away any adverse events or circumstances.
3. How does Don Quixote agree to return to La Mancha?
4. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
5. How does Don Quixote contrast the life of a soldier and that of a scholar?
6. How do many people abuse Don Quixote's madness?
7. Describe Rocinante.
8. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
9. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
10. How does Teresa Panza show her practical side?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)