|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
(a) The mule has bucked off its captor and headed back to La Mancha.
(b) Don Quixote finds the mule in the castle stables.
(c) Don Quixote offers a large reward for the mule.
(d) Gines de Pasamonte rides up disguised as a gypsy but Sancho Panza recognizes him.
2. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
(a) Plays are educational to those who cannot read books.
(b) Plays are a reflection of real life and teach valuable morals.
(c) The plays that are staged nowadays are mirrors of absurdity, patterns of folly, and images of lewdness.
(d) The plays staged at his time are worthy of high praise.
3. Where does Quixote send Sancho Panza on a mission?
(a) To return to the inn he believes is an enchanted castle
(b) To buy provisions for a long camp out in the mountains
(c) To find the half naked man
(d) To see the lady Dulcinea
4. Who comes to inform Don Quixote of the book that has been written about him?
(a) The canon
(b) Juana Panza
(c) The mischevious student Sampson
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
5. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
(b) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
(c) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
(d) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the challenge to knight errantry presented to Don Quixote by Vivaldo?
2. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
3. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
4. Why do Sancho and the squire of the Knight of the Wood go off by themselves?
5. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Outline the story of what Anselmo wants Lothario to do.
2. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
3. How does Teresa Panza show her practical side?
4. Describe how Cervantes suggests that Don Quixote descends into madness.
5. How does Don Quixote contrast the life of a soldier and that of a scholar?
6. What is the significance of the Knight of the Wood?
7. What is the story of the Princess Micomicona, of the land of Micomicon?
8. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
9. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
10. Before the start of the second part of their adventures, why do Sancho and Don Quixote have a disagreement?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)