|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
(b) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
(c) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
(d) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
2. What symbolism does Cervantes use to express the closeness of Quixote and Sancho?
(a) The closeness of Dapple and Rozinante
(b) The common belief in enchantment
(c) The Knight of the Wood and his squire
(d) The sun and the moon
3. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
(a) The daughter of a wealthy man who begins acting as a shepherdess.
(b) The milkmaid who marries a king.
(c) A cruel murderess.
(d) The princess of El Toboso.
4. As Don Quixote and Sancho Panza look for water in the night, what spooks them?
(a) The sound of many horses
(b) A metallic clanking and the sound of running water
(c) A ghostly moan over the sound of water
(d) A drum beating in the distance
5. How does Don Quixote interpret the penitents and their effigy of the Virgin?
(a) He thinks they have come to set him free of enchantment.
(b) He thinks they are ghosts.
(c) He sees them as holy men on the way to Jerusalem.
(d) He sees them as criminals who have kidnapped a Lady.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
2. Why does Sancho Panza continue to insist that Don Quixote is not enchanted?
3. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
4. What happens to Camilla, Anselmo, and Lothario at the end of the tale within the tale?
5. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the ten horsemen take Quixote and Sancho back to the castle of the Duke and Duchess?
2. Tell the story of how Don Quixote becomes entangled with the criminal, Gines de Pasamonte.
3. Why is Sancho shocked by the message of Death on the huge wagon of white-clad penitents?
4. Outline the story of what Anselmo wants Lothario to do.
5. What advice does Don Quixote send Sancho in a letter?
6. Explain how Master Pedro and his trained ape are able to identify Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.
7. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
8. What happens when Don Quixote is finally defeated by another knight who orders him to return to La Mancha.
9. What causes Don Quixote and Sancho to leave the young shepherdesses they had promised to champion?
10. In a kind of switch, what is Don Quixote's reaction to Sancho's belief about the ride on the wooden flying horse?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)