|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
(a) Don Luis, the boy who is following Clara.
(b) Sancho Panza who has not paid his taxes to the crown.
(c) The Captive Captain who had a bounty on his head.
(d) Don Quixote who is wanted by the king.
2. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From listening to children's fairy tales
(b) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
(c) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
(d) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
3. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
(a) He insists that they are demons and he and Sancho have been enchanted.
(b) He says that Sancho is so hungry he is hallucinating.
(c) He agrees with Sancho but can do nothing.
(d) He tells Sancho that they only appear to be flesh and blood.
4. What is the canon's opinion of the chivalric tales?
(a) He says that the so-called books of chivalry are most harmful to the commonwealth.
(b) He hopes they will restore chivalry to the world.
(c) He thinks they should be read by all educated people.
(d) He says that he has never read one of them.
5. How does Dorothea get Don Quixote to leave the mountain and travel with her, the curate, the barber, Sancho and Cardenio?
(a) By pretending to be the sister of the Lady Dulcinea.
(b) By pretending to be a Queen driven from her country by evil giants.
(c) By reading aloud from a book of chivalry each night.
(d) By promising to marry him if he gets her home safely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What device does Cervantes use to introduce the comedic nature of Don Quixote?
2. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
3. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
4. In yet another tale within the tale, who does the captive captain contrive to rescue?
5. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dorothea's relationship with Don Fernando.
2. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
3. Outline the story of what Anselmo wants Lothario to do.
4. Before the start of the second part of their adventures, why do Sancho and Don Quixote have a disagreement?
5. What happens when the Don and Sancho meet an acting troupe still in costume?
6. How does Teresa Panza show her practical side?
7. Summarize Don Quixote's idea of the Golden Age.
8. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
9. How does Don Quixote agree to return to La Mancha?
10. Relate Don Quixote's battle with the giant of Micomicon.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)