|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
(a) The pillows on his bed
(b) Pumpkins stacked in a corner
(c) Expensive wineskins filled with wine
(d) The inn's windmill
2. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
(a) How Leandra became a shepardess.
(b) How his goat is the enchanted Leandra.
(c) Betrayal by a woman
(d) Unrequited love for Leandra
3. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
(a) The curate promises to pay Sancho to go with him as a protection.
(b) He realizes that Don Quixote is penniless and cannot pay.
(c) Don Quixote seems ready to accept Sampson as his squire.
(d) He thinks about the isle he will one day reign over.
4. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
(a) Dulcinea has traveled to Madrid to visit the Queen.
(b) The priest at the church thinks they are up to no good and refuses to tell them where to find Dulcinea.
(c) Neither of them has ever seen Dulcinea and they do not know where to find her.
(d) Dulcinea is in the village selling wheat but they do not recognize her.
5. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
(a) Oak trees
(c) Large rocks
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sancho Panza doubt that the enchanted demons are real?
2. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
3. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
4. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
5. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
2. Describe Dorothea's relationship with Don Fernando.
3. Relate Don Quixote's battle with the giant of Micomicon.
4. Discuss Don Quixote's choice of penance after the release of the prisoners.
5. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
6. Discuss how Don Quixote always explains away any adverse events or circumstances.
7. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
8. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
9. Relate how Sancho Panza prevents Don Quixote from charging toward a loud noise in the dark of night.
10. Before the start of the second part of their adventures, why do Sancho and Don Quixote have a disagreement?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)