|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These early adventures of Don Quixote establish what theme that runs throughout the novel?
(a) That the age of chivalry is not dead.
(b) That he wins people over by his great imagination.
(c) That he is invincible when he wears his armor.
(d) That his meddling seldom has the resultsfor which he plans.
2. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
(b) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
(c) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
(d) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
3. As Don Quixote and Sancho Panza look for water in the night, what spooks them?
(a) The sound of many horses
(b) A ghostly moan over the sound of water
(c) A metallic clanking and the sound of running water
(d) A drum beating in the distance
4. What happens when the barber shows up and recognizes the packsaddle and the basin he lost to Don Quixote?
(a) Don Quixote pays the man for the helmet and the packsaddle.
(b) Don Quixote insists that the basin is the helmet of Mambrino.
(c) Don Quixote challenges the porr barber to a duel.
(d) Don Quixote is convinced the basin is a basin.
5. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
(a) He puts a sleeping powder into Don Quixote's wine.
(b) He points Rocinante in the wrong direction.
(c) He loosens Quixote's saddles so it falls off.
(d) He ties Rocinante's back legs together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What coincidence does Cervantes use to untangle some of the plot in Chapter 36?
2. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
3. On their next adventure, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza head first?
4. How do the curate and the barber plan to get Quixote to return with them to La Mancha?
5. What is Don Quixote's explanation for the way the people at the inn toss Sancho into the air from a blanket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sancho's comic rationale for believing Don Quixote is not in an enchanted cage at all?
2. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
3. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
4. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
5. Describe how Cervantes presents Sancho as one motivated by money.
6. Discuss Marcela's defense of herself at the funeral of Chrisostom.
7. How does Don Quixote contrast the life of a soldier and that of a scholar?
8. Describe the story of the Captive Captain.
9. Give a physical description of Quizada before he transforms himself into Don Quixote.
10. How does the student Sampson enter into Don Quixote's life?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)