|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the canon's opinion of the chivalric tales?
(a) He says that he has never read one of them.
(b) He hopes they will restore chivalry to the world.
(c) He says that the so-called books of chivalry are most harmful to the commonwealth.
(d) He thinks they should be read by all educated people.
2. Why does Lothario think Camilla is being unvirtuous?
(a) He sees her maid's lover leaving the house early one morning.
(b) He hears that a number of men have been visiting her at home.
(c) He thinks she is beginning to respond to him and the poems he writes for her.
(d) He notices that Camilla goes out every afternoon when Anselmo is away.
3. What is the plan to transport Don Quixote back to La Mancha?
(a) He is tricked into leading them to La Mancha because Dulcinea has come there.
(b) He is taken prisoner by the king's horsemen.
(c) He is held in a makeshift cage on back of an oxcart.
(d) He is ited to the back of his horse and led to La Mancha.
4. The niece, the housekeeper, the curate and the barber all agree on what as the cause of Don Quixote's madness?
(a) His vast collection of books
(b) His extreme old age
(c) His poor diet
(d) The cheap wine he has been drinking
5. What unlikely group of men does Don Quixote set free and enjoin them to go tell Dulcinea of their release?
(a) A group of soldiers on military training
(b) A group of actors rehearsing for a play
(c) A group of criminals being taken to the galleys
(d) A group of Christians captured by the Moors
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dorothea get Don Quixote to leave the mountain and travel with her, the curate, the barber, Sancho and Cardenio?
2. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
3. Why is the canon so amazed at Don Quixote's speech?
4. As Don Quixote and Sancho Panza look for water in the night, what spooks them?
5. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
2. What is Sancho's comic rationale for believing Don Quixote is not in an enchanted cage at all?
3. Describe the story of the Captive Captain.
4. What is the significance of the Knight of the Wood?
5. Describe how Cervantes suggests that Don Quixote descends into madness.
6. What is the story of the Princess Micomicona, of the land of Micomicon?
7. Discuss how Don Quixote always explains away any adverse events or circumstances.
8. How does the student Sampson enter into Don Quixote's life?
9. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
10. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)