|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops the melee at the inn in the middle of the night?
(a) Don Quixote's bed falls through the floor into the room below.
(b) The inn catches on fire.
(c) An officer of the Holy Brotherhood believes that Don Quixote is dead.
(d) The police arrive and break up the fighting.
2. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
(a) Without armor
(b) In poverty
(c) In love
(d) Very old
3. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
(a) A suit of armor to protect him against future beatings
(b) Fierabras balm that Quixote had said would cure anything.
(c) Money so that he can return home
(d) Wine to numb his pain
4. What unlikely group of men does Don Quixote set free and enjoin them to go tell Dulcinea of their release?
(a) A group of actors rehearsing for a play
(b) A group of criminals being taken to the galleys
(c) A group of soldiers on military training
(d) A group of Christians captured by the Moors
5. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
(a) He realizes that Don Quixote is penniless and cannot pay.
(b) The curate promises to pay Sancho to go with him as a protection.
(c) He thinks about the isle he will one day reign over.
(d) Don Quixote seems ready to accept Sampson as his squire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
2. What does Don Quixote imagine to be the legendary helmet of Mambrino?
3. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
4. What is the cause of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza getting a brutal beating from the Yanguesan carriers?
5. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate how Sancho Panza prevents Don Quixote from charging toward a loud noise in the dark of night.
2. Describe the visit of the barber and the curate to Don Quixote after his return home.
3. Discuss Marcela's defense of herself at the funeral of Chrisostom.
4. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
5. Describe the story of the Captive Captain.
6. Summarize Don Quixote's idea of the Golden Age.
7. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
8. Describe how Cervantes presents Sancho as one motivated by money.
9. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
10. What is the story of the Princess Micomicona, of the land of Micomicon?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)