|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
(a) Expensive wineskins filled with wine
(b) The pillows on his bed
(c) Pumpkins stacked in a corner
(d) The inn's windmill
2. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
(a) He is a prince who has fallen in love with a commoner.
(b) He is a poor poy who is pining away for love of clara.
(c) He is one of the escaped criminals the king is looking for.
(d) He is the son of a wealthy man who is in love with the judge's daughter.
3. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
(a) He spits it out because it tastes so disgusting.
(b) He starts braying like his mule.
(c) He is transformed into a knight errant.
(d) He becomes deathly ill and cannot expel the substance.
4. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) He is set upon to see if he has money.
(b) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(c) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(d) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
5. Found lying on the ground and severely wounded, where is Don Quixote taken by a neighbor?
(a) To the village where everyone can see him and make fun of him.
(b) To his door just as the curate and barber arrive with his niece and housekeeper.
(c) To an inn where he thinks he is in a castle.
(d) To the local magistrate who will examine Don Quixote's mental ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Quixote blend knight errantry and sainthood?
2. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
3. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
4. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
5. What constantly overcomes Sancho Panza's skepticism about Don Quixote?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate Don Quixote's battle with the giant of Micomicon.
2. How do many people abuse Don Quixote's madness?
3. How does Don Quixote contrast the life of a soldier and that of a scholar?
4. Discuss Don Quixote's choice of penance after the release of the prisoners.
5. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
6. What is the significance of the Knight of the Wood?
7. How does the student Sampson enter into Don Quixote's life?
8. Discuss Marcela's defense of herself at the funeral of Chrisostom.
9. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
10. Discuss Don Quixote's illusions that cause him to do battle with strange things.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)