|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza getting a brutal beating from the Yanguesan carriers?
(a) Don Quixote's idea that the carriers are enemy soldiers.
(b) Don Quixote's attempt to secure two horses for himself and Sancho
(c) Rozinante's attempt to mate with their pirze mares
(d) Sancho's attempt to get back hos mule
2. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
(a) Wine to numb his pain
(b) Money so that he can return home
(c) A suit of armor to protect him against future beatings
(d) Fierabras balm that Quixote had said would cure anything.
3. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
(a) Some real demons
(b) Dulcinea and her entourage
(c) A goat and its goatherd
(d) The ghosts of two knights errant
4. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
(a) He now believes the inn is an enchanted castle.
(b) He has forgotten to bring the letter Quixote wrote to Dulcinea.
(c) He refuses to give them any information about Don Quixote.
(d) He forgets where he left Don Quixote.
5. How does Don Quixote believe he has been enchanted in the night as he guards the inn?
(a) He uses a pitchfork in place of his lance which has been broken to pieces.
(b) He sees giants walking everywhere in the courtyard of the inn.
(c) He is tricked into being tied by one hand in the barn loft as he stands on the back of Rozinante.
(d) He thinks he sees Dulcinea walking in the moonlight around the inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Found lying on the ground and severely wounded, where is Don Quixote taken by a neighbor?
2. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
3. What does the imagery of the Golden Age represent to Don Quixote?
4. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
5. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give evidence that the farmer's daughter is a popular theme in Cervantes' writing.
2. How is the character of Don Quixote enlarged and filled out by Cervantes?
3. Relate how Sancho Panza prevents Don Quixote from charging toward a loud noise in the dark of night.
4. When Don Quixote sees a girl Sancho says is Dulcinea, what are the circumstances?
5. What is Sancho's comic rationale for believing Don Quixote is not in an enchanted cage at all?
6. What happens while Don Quixote is allowed out of the cage on the oxcart?
7. Discuss Don Quixote's illusions that cause him to do battle with strange things.
8. How does Don Quixote agree to return to La Mancha?
9. Relate Don Quixote's battle with the giant of Micomicon.
10. Tell the story of how Don Quixote becomes entangled with the criminal, Gines de Pasamonte.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)