|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ignoble disaster befalls Don Quixote and Sancho out in the countryside?
(a) They fall into a swamp.
(b) They are trampled by swine.
(c) They are attacked by birds.
(d) They are robbed of everything.
2. What happens when Sancho Panza brays for the town that brays?
(a) They give Sancho the braying trophy.
(b) They make Sancho their mayor.
(c) They think he is mocking them and they stone Sancho and Don Quixote.
(d) They tell Sancho that he has a lot to learn about braying.
3. How does the Duke get Sancho to agree to the self flagellation?
(a) Getting him drunk with summer wine
(b) Bribing him with a large sum of money
(c) Fear that he might lose the governorship the Duke promised him
(d) Promising him a new green suit
4. What social gaff does Sancho make in the castle?
(a) Asking the Duchess' Lady in Waiting to stable his ass
(b) Putting his elbows on the table
(c) Interrupting Don Quixote while he is talking
(d) Eating with his fingers
5. How does Cervantes work yet another side plot into his story at the point of boarding the ships?
(a) He tells about a love affair that goes terribly wrong.
(b) He tells the tale of a Christian woman who is captain of a pirate ship.
(c) He writes about a woman who dresses as a man to find her lover.
(d) He te;;s about drunken Turks who abduct a beautiful Christian woman.
6. The curate, the barber, and the bachelor are not in agreement with whom over Quixote's decision to become a shepherd?
(a) The niece and the housekeeper
(b) Dulcinea and Maria
(c) The Duke and Duchess
(d) Sancho and Teresa
7. How does Roque Guinart handle a mutineer among his men?
(a) He has him hanged from the nearest tree.
(b) He splits his head with his sword.
(c) He has him horse whipped.
(d) He banishes him from the band of robbers.
8. What does Don Quixote want Sancho to do before he leaves to become a governor?
(a) Send a letter to La Mancha so Teresa will know where he is.
(b) Learn to write and read a little
(c) Learn to speak without using proverbs
(d) Learn how to dress properly
9. How does Sancho come across as he takes charge of his isle?
(a) He becomes grand and snobbish.
(b) He does not seem as pleased as he thought he would be.
(c) He starts plotting how to amass great sums of money.
(d) He forgets all his old friends and family.
10. Who does Sancho get into an argument with about waiting women?
(a) A scullery maid from the Duke's kitchen
(b) One of the traveling actors they had met earlier
(c) The stable boy dressed as a woman
(d) Dona Rodrigquez de Grijalba
11. What comes back to Sancho from his behavior toward Don Quixote?
(a) Now people are asking him for money.
(b) Now he has to make all the decisions.
(c) Now people think he is mad.
(d) Now he has to hear all court cases.
12. Finally, Don Quixote and Sancho Panza are invited to a real castle. Who invites them?
(a) Dona Rodrigquez de Grijalba
(b) A real Duke and Duchess
(c) A prince of the realm
(d) Camila de Camacho
13. What madness does the puppet show bring on in the mind of Don Quixote?
(a) He believes the puppets are warning him against a danger.
(b) He thinks the Moors chasing the Catholic lovers are real and he attacks them.
(c) He believes the puppets are enchanted and need a magician.
(d) He jumps on his horse and goes looking for Moors.
14. How does Sancho's common sense come though during the telling of the Countess' story?
(a) He does not believe Don Clavijo could become a metal crocodile.
(b) He questions why a Queen would die at the marriage of her daughter.
(c) He says that the idea of turning the princess into a brass monkey is absurd.
(d) He suspects the Countess is another of the household maids.
15. Who arrives next to see the famous Don Quixote?
(a) Countess Trifaldi, also called the Doleful Duenna
(b) Sir Lancelot of the Round Table
(c) The Duke of Earl
(d) Queen Guenevere
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Duke and Duchess eager to meet Don Quixote and Sancho?
2. Where are Quixote and Sancho taken by the ten horsemen?
3. Why does Tosilos reveal himself at the duel?
4. How does Sancho perform as the new governor?
5. What invitation is given Don Quixote and Sancho when they meet two students and two peasants?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)