|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Don Quixote wounded back in the Duke's and Duchess' castle?
(a) By a spurned young girl
(b) By falling down the stairs
(c) By sparring with the Duke
(d) By cats with bells tied to them
2. What irritates Don Quixote as he listens to Sancho speak?
(a) His rambling on and on without a point
(b) His use of homespun proverbs
(c) His butting in to Quixote's conversations
(d) His affected speech
3. What is the price Don Quixote must pay for his defeat?
(a) He must become the squire of the Knight of the White Moon.
(b) He must give up Riconante.
(c) He must give Sancho to the knight.
(d) He must return home.
4. Why does Tosilos reveal himself at the duel?
(a) He doesn't want to harm an old man.
(b) He decides he can see better without a helmet.
(c) He suddenly desires to marry the Duenna's daughter.
(d) He gets scared and thinks revealing himself will stop Don Quixote.
5. What invitation is given Don Quixote and Sancho when they meet two students and two peasants?
(a) The wedding of Quiteria the Fair to Camacho the Rich
(b) A duel between Camacho and Basilio, a former lover of Quiteria
(c) The sports games of the county
(d) The local fair and festival
6. What does Sancho do in response to Don Quixote's suggestion?
(a) He invites all knights errant to come to the island.
(b) He raises taxes and builds schools.
(c) He minds the poor and makes good and just laws, but not too many.
(d) He gives lots of banquets for the wealthy.
7. What means of travel does the Duenna say the giant Malambruno will send for them to go to him?
(a) A large blue bull
(b) A flying carpet
(c) A caravan of white elephant
(d) A giant wooden, flying horse
8. In a scheme to poke fun at Don Quixote and Sancho, who makes an appearance?
(a) An actor dressed as the Devil
(b) The eccliastic dressed as an avenging angel
(c) A cow saddled like a knight's steed
(d) A milkmaid dressed as the Lady Dulcinea
9. What is the surprise plot twist as Don Quixote lays on his deathbed?
(a) It is revealed that Don Quixote is dying from a broken heart.
(b) He receives a visit from an angel.
(c) He renounces his knight errantry as madness.
(d) He writes a will that leaves Sancho Panza out.
10. What happens when Sancho Panza brays for the town that brays?
(a) They make Sancho their mayor.
(b) They tell Sancho that he has a lot to learn about braying.
(c) They give Sancho the braying trophy.
(d) They think he is mocking them and they stone Sancho and Don Quixote.
11. What is the irony of Sancho's coming into political power?
(a) Before he could not have rich food because he was poor; now it is because the doctor thinks it is not good for him.
(b) Sancho is so accustomed to having Don Quixote tell him what to do, he is unhappy.
(c) Sancho id becoming the kind of man he has always resented.
(d) Suddenly he has no friends which is unusual for a man like Sancho.
12. What is the significance of Ricote in the the story?
(a) It show how people who know the joke can believe Sancho as a governor.
(b) It makes a transition for Sancho back into regular life.
(c) It points out the religious persecution of the day.
(d) It takes up a few pages in the story.
13. What does Sancho finally have the courage to tell Don Quixote?
(a) That he is leaving him and returning to his isle.
(b) That he will not suffer any more abuse.
(c) That he lied about seeing Dulcinea.
(d) That he is a fool who believes he is a knight.
14. After the feast at Camacho's house, where does Don Quixote want to go?
(a) The cave of Montesinos
(b) The enchanted castle
(c) The cathedral at Madrid
(d) Back to La Mancha
15. On their trip away from the castle, what misfortune happens to Quixote and Sancho?
(a) They get entangled in bird nets.
(b) They battle a bull Don Quixote thinks is a dragon.
(c) They stop to eat and their mounts are stolen.
(d) They get lost and end up back at the castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Quixote and Sancho taken by the ten horsemen?
2. Why is Sancho amazed once again at Don Quixote's vast knowledge?
3. How does the man with the ape know the names of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza?
4. Back in the castle what happens with Quixote and Dona Rodriguez?
5. What is the literary significance of the pit Sancho and Dapple fall into?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)