|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sancho perform as the new governor?
(a) He tears his new suit.
(b) He makes many bumbling mistakes.
(c) He cannot think of any appropriate proverbs.
(d) His common sense astonishes everyone.
2. What is the moral of the story of the braying town going to war with its neighbors?
(a) Not all war is honorable and glorious.
(b) People should not make fun of people who bray.
(c) If you must bray, don't tell anyone.
(d) People who know how to bray should keep quiet.
3. Because Quixote is so despondent, what does Sancho agree to do for money?
(a) He will beat himself for a set amount per lash.
(b) He will go and bring Dulcinea to Quixote.
(c) He will find the person who enchanted Dulcinea.
(d) He will trade Dapple for Dulcinea.
4. How does the Countess of Trifaldi attempt to capture the interest of Don Quixote?
(a) With a tale of a giant
(b) With a tale of an evil count
(c) With a tale of two lovers
(d) With a tale of dragons
5. How does Roque Guinart handle a mutineer among his men?
(a) He splits his head with his sword.
(b) He banishes him from the band of robbers.
(c) He has him hanged from the nearest tree.
(d) He has him horse whipped.
6. What advice does Don Quixote give the young page on the way to the inn?
(a) That he should go to Italy.
(b) That he should go back to his master he ran away from.
(c) That he should look for a knight to serve.
(d) That the military is a good life with chance for advancement.
7. How does Cervantes work yet another side plot into his story at the point of boarding the ships?
(a) He tells the tale of a Christian woman who is captain of a pirate ship.
(b) He tells about a love affair that goes terribly wrong.
(c) He te;;s about drunken Turks who abduct a beautiful Christian woman.
(d) He writes about a woman who dresses as a man to find her lover.
8. What is a result of Sancho Panza's replying to the ecclesiastic in proverbs?
(a) The eccliastic takes notes for a sermon.
(b) Quixote rebukes Sancho again for his provencial speech.
(c) The Duchess is thrilled that the eccliastic show Sancho up.
(d) The Duke considers that Sancho might make a good governor.
9. What sage thing does Sancho say that astonishes Don Quixote?
(a) Anybody can be a governor.
(b) I pretend my right hand is paralyzed so I have to use my left hand.
(c) Lions will never sleep with lambs.
(d) We are all the same when we sleep.
10. What means of travel does the Duenna say the giant Malambruno will send for them to go to him?
(a) A flying carpet
(b) A large blue bull
(c) A caravan of white elephant
(d) A giant wooden, flying horse
11. Who does Sancho get into an argument with about waiting women?
(a) One of the traveling actors they had met earlier
(b) A scullery maid from the Duke's kitchen
(c) The stable boy dressed as a woman
(d) Dona Rodrigquez de Grijalba
12. How does Sancho come across as he takes charge of his isle?
(a) He does not seem as pleased as he thought he would be.
(b) He starts plotting how to amass great sums of money.
(c) He forgets all his old friends and family.
(d) He becomes grand and snobbish.
13. After the stoning, Sancho Panza makes what demand on Don Quixote?
(a) He demands to be made a knight.
(b) He demands a new horse to ride.
(c) He demands money again after seeing that Don Quixote is a man of means.
(d) He demands a security team to keep them from being beaten.
14. Why does Sampson's pretend squire leave him?
(a) He has become friends with Sancho who will be hurt.
(b) Sampson has no money to pay him.
(c) He says Sampson is behaving as mad as Don Quixote.
(d) He decides the wants to be the knight himself.
15. How does Quixote continue his tradition of siding with the underdog?
(a) He teaches the students about knighthood.
(b) He avenges the peasants.
(c) He champions Basilio.
(d) He helps Quiteria escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their trip away from the castle, what misfortune happens to Quixote and Sancho?
2. What comes back to Sancho from his behavior toward Don Quixote?
3. What causes Sancho to resign his post and leave his isle?
4. Who else does Quixote insist he sees inside the cave?
5. What plot does the Duchess hatch against Sancho?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)