|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Don Quixote want Sancho to do before he leaves to become a governor?
(a) Learn how to dress properly
(b) Learn to write and read a little
(c) Learn to speak without using proverbs
(d) Send a letter to La Mancha so Teresa will know where he is.
2. What is a goal of Sancho as he assumes his governorship of his island?
(a) To stop boys from dressing like girls
(b) To see that everyone pays taxes
(c) To see that girls stay in the home
(d) To shut down the gambling houses
3. What madness does the puppet show bring on in the mind of Don Quixote?
(a) He believes the puppets are enchanted and need a magician.
(b) He jumps on his horse and goes looking for Moors.
(c) He thinks the Moors chasing the Catholic lovers are real and he attacks them.
(d) He believes the puppets are warning him against a danger.
4. What arrangements had the Duke made regarding the duel?
(a) To keep injury to a minimum
(b) To stop the duel and declare Don Quixote the winner
(c) To convince Don Quixote that it was all an illusion
(d) To invite the country people to watch
5. Who challenges Don Quixote and defeats him?
(a) The captain of the guard
(b) The giant of Algiers
(c) The Knight of the White Moon
(d) The Knight of the Mirrors
6. What is the price Don Quixote must pay for his defeat?
(a) He must give up Riconante.
(b) He must become the squire of the Knight of the White Moon.
(c) He must give Sancho to the knight.
(d) He must return home.
7. What is a result of Sancho Panza's replying to the ecclesiastic in proverbs?
(a) Quixote rebukes Sancho again for his provencial speech.
(b) The Duke considers that Sancho might make a good governor.
(c) The eccliastic takes notes for a sermon.
(d) The Duchess is thrilled that the eccliastic show Sancho up.
8. How does Roque Guinart handle a mutineer among his men?
(a) He has him hanged from the nearest tree.
(b) He splits his head with his sword.
(c) He has him horse whipped.
(d) He banishes him from the band of robbers.
9. Why is a substitute used for the man who had been challenged to a duel?
(a) The actual man had run away to avoid becoming the son-in-law of the Duenna.
(b) The substitute could be easily beaten.
(c) The substitute was paid a great deal of money.
(d) The actual man was a relative of the Duke's.
10. When the wooden horse arrives, why are Quixote and Sancho blindfolded?
(a) They might get airsick if they could see and look down.
(b) They have to get their eyes ready to see the giant in his dark castle.
(c) They cannot see where the giant's hideout is.
(d) They are told they must do that for the horse to fly.
11. What is the significance of Ricote in the the story?
(a) It show how people who know the joke can believe Sancho as a governor.
(b) It points out the religious persecution of the day.
(c) It makes a transition for Sancho back into regular life.
(d) It takes up a few pages in the story.
12. In a scheme to poke fun at Don Quixote and Sancho, who makes an appearance?
(a) The eccliastic dressed as an avenging angel
(b) An actor dressed as the Devil
(c) A cow saddled like a knight's steed
(d) A milkmaid dressed as the Lady Dulcinea
13. What is the surprise plot twist as Don Quixote lays on his deathbed?
(a) It is revealed that Don Quixote is dying from a broken heart.
(b) He writes a will that leaves Sancho Panza out.
(c) He receives a visit from an angel.
(d) He renounces his knight errantry as madness.
14. At the inn, what does Sancho happily observe?
(a) The page will buy his meal.
(b) This time there is a room for them in the inn.
(c) Don Quixote does not mistake this inn for a castle.
(d) The priest and the barber are waiting there for them.
15. What means of travel does the Duenna say the giant Malambruno will send for them to go to him?
(a) A large blue bull
(b) A flying carpet
(c) A caravan of white elephant
(d) A giant wooden, flying horse
Short Answer Questions
1. While staying at the castle of the Duke and Duchess, what does Sancho do every time he gets frightened?
2. Why were the Duke and Duchess eager to meet Don Quixote and Sancho?
3. Because Quixote is so despondent, what does Sancho agree to do for money?
4. What is the irony of Sancho's coming into political power?
5. Why is Sancho amazed once again at Don Quixote's vast knowledge?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)