|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Duke get Sancho to agree to the self flagellation?
(a) Getting him drunk with summer wine
(b) Promising him a new green suit
(c) Fear that he might lose the governorship the Duke promised him
(d) Bribing him with a large sum of money
2. How does Sancho come across as he takes charge of his isle?
(a) He forgets all his old friends and family.
(b) He does not seem as pleased as he thought he would be.
(c) He starts plotting how to amass great sums of money.
(d) He becomes grand and snobbish.
3. Why do so many people in Barcelona know Don Quixote's name?
(a) Sancho goes ahead and tells everyone who is coming.
(b) People there have read the Benengeli history.
(c) Barcelona people are friendlier than others.
(d) Don Antonio has pinned his name across his back.
4. Why do Don Quixote and Sancho believe the outlandish tale?
(a) Because they have been drugged during dinner.
(b) Because Malambruno is supposed to be a clever enchanter.
(c) Because the Duke and duchess appear to believe it.
(d) Because they believe any tale that involves a damsel in distress.
5. What does Sancho finally have the courage to tell Don Quixote?
(a) That he will not suffer any more abuse.
(b) That he is leaving him and returning to his isle.
(c) That he is a fool who believes he is a knight.
(d) That he lied about seeing Dulcinea.
6. Why is a substitute used for the man who had been challenged to a duel?
(a) The actual man had run away to avoid becoming the son-in-law of the Duenna.
(b) The actual man was a relative of the Duke's.
(c) The substitute was paid a great deal of money.
(d) The substitute could be easily beaten.
7. What does Sancho do in response to Don Quixote's suggestion?
(a) He invites all knights errant to come to the island.
(b) He gives lots of banquets for the wealthy.
(c) He minds the poor and makes good and just laws, but not too many.
(d) He raises taxes and builds schools.
8. How does the man with the ape know the names of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza?
(a) He asked the ape to find out for him.
(b) He has read the first volume.
(c) Master Pedro turns out to be Gines de Pasamonte from Volume One
(d) He has a confederate who suppplies him with information.
9. Why were the Duke and Duchess eager to meet Don Quixote and Sancho?
(a) They are madder than Don Quixote.
(b) They had read about them in the First Volume.
(c) They are bored and want a diversion.
(d) They think Quixote is a real knight.
10. When they come to another inn, what does Don Quixote see?
(a) A cathedral
(b) An inn
(c) A fortress
(d) A castle
11. What is the price Don Quixote must pay for his defeat?
(a) He must become the squire of the Knight of the White Moon.
(b) He must return home.
(c) He must give up Riconante.
(d) He must give Sancho to the knight.
12. Why does Tosilos reveal himself at the duel?
(a) He gets scared and thinks revealing himself will stop Don Quixote.
(b) He decides he can see better without a helmet.
(c) He suddenly desires to marry the Duenna's daughter.
(d) He doesn't want to harm an old man.
13. What sage thing does Sancho say that astonishes Don Quixote?
(a) Lions will never sleep with lambs.
(b) Anybody can be a governor.
(c) I pretend my right hand is paralyzed so I have to use my left hand.
(d) We are all the same when we sleep.
14. What is a goal of Sancho as he assumes his governorship of his island?
(a) To see that everyone pays taxes
(b) To see that girls stay in the home
(c) To stop boys from dressing like girls
(d) To shut down the gambling houses
15. What one last joke is played on Don Quixote and Sancho before they leave the castle?
(a) They put ants in Don Quixote's armor.
(b) Altisidora accuses Quixote of stealing her garters.
(c) They put the Duchess' handkerchief in Sancho's pants pocket.
(d) They tie the tails of Dapple and Roxinante together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who challenges Don Quixote and defeats him?
2. On their way back to La Mancha, who do Don Quixote and Sancho run across?
3. How does Sancho perform as the new governor?
4. Where are Quixote and Sancho taken by the ten horsemen?
5. What happens as they ride up to meet a Duchess and a Duke?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)