|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to inform Don Quixote of the book that has been written about him?
(a) The mischevious student Sampson
(b) Juana Panza
(c) The canon
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
2. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(b) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
(c) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(d) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
3. What does Don Quixote imagine to be the legendary helmet of Mambrino?
(a) A mop bucket
(b) A brass barber's bowl
(c) A tea kettle
(d) A gravy boat
4. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
(a) Talking about knight errantry
(b) Asking about Dulcinea
(c) Reminding Quixote about his knightly obligations
(d) Talking about Sancho Panza
5. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
(a) A narrator is introduced who discovers an old manuscript about Don Quixote.
(b) A parallel is drawn between Don Quixote and King Arthur.
(c) Lengthy poetic renditions are added to give the story more authenticity.
(d) A sage is found to travel with Don Quixote and write down his adventures.
6. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
(a) Dulcinea is in the village selling wheat but they do not recognize her.
(b) Dulcinea has traveled to Madrid to visit the Queen.
(c) Neither of them has ever seen Dulcinea and they do not know where to find her.
(d) The priest at the church thinks they are up to no good and refuses to tell them where to find Dulcinea.
7. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
(a) They are freed in a raid by spanish troops.
(b) They manage to rob the cruel Moor who is their master.
(c) She gives them enough money to ransom themselves and buy a boat.
(d) Zoraida's father learns of her desire to go to a Christian country and helps them.
8. What happens when the barber shows up and recognizes the packsaddle and the basin he lost to Don Quixote?
(a) Don Quixote pays the man for the helmet and the packsaddle.
(b) Don Quixote is convinced the basin is a basin.
(c) Don Quixote insists that the basin is the helmet of Mambrino.
(d) Don Quixote challenges the porr barber to a duel.
9. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
(a) He thinks about the isle he will one day reign over.
(b) The curate promises to pay Sancho to go with him as a protection.
(c) He realizes that Don Quixote is penniless and cannot pay.
(d) Don Quixote seems ready to accept Sampson as his squire.
10. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
(a) He says he never read anything like that in his books about knight errantry.
(b) He pays him with enchanted money that Sancho cannot see.
(c) He fires him and starts looking for a replacement.
(d) He turns it around and gets Sancho to pay him a monthly wage.
11. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
(a) The princess of El Toboso.
(b) The daughter of a wealthy man who begins acting as a shepherdess.
(c) The milkmaid who marries a king.
(d) A cruel murderess.
12. How do the niece and housekeeper rationalize the disappearance of Don Quixote's books?
(a) They blame an enchanter.
(b) They blame the rats.
(c) They blame the curate.
(d) They make Don Quixote believe he gave them away.
13. Why does Sancho Panza doubt that the enchanted demons are real?
(a) He touches them and they feel like human bodies.
(b) He overhears them speaking in his native tongue.
(c) He does not believe in demons.
(d) He sees that they leave footprints when they walk.
14. In yet another coincidence, what happens when a learned judge arrives at the inn with his beautiful daughter?
(a) The judge has come to take Don Quixote back to La Mancha.
(b) The judge is looking for some escaped criminals.
(c) The Captive Captain recognizes the judge as his brother.
(d) The girl turns out to be Zoraida's long lost sister.
15. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
(a) Arthur and Lancelot
(b) Peter and Paul
(c) Valiant and Gawain
(d) Amadis and Orlando
Short Answer Questions
1. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
2. What is the canon's opinion of the chivalric tales?
3. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
4. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
5. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)