|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marcela's argument that she is not responsible for the death of Chrysostom?
(a) She has warned Chrysostom to leave her alone and find another girl.
(b) Her beauty does not obligate her to love those who love her for it.
(c) She knows nothing of Chrysostom's fixation on her.
(d) She does not know how a nobleman can waste away for a shepherdess.
2. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
(a) He has not actually been knighted.
(b) He is another unreal enchantment.
(c) He is actually Sampson.
(d) He is actually a woman.
3. When Don Quixote sets out again on adventures, who does he take with him?
(a) Sancho Panza
(b) The barber
4. The niece, the housekeeper, the curate and the barber all agree on what as the cause of Don Quixote's madness?
(a) His extreme old age
(b) His poor diet
(c) The cheap wine he has been drinking
(d) His vast collection of books
5. How do the niece and housekeeper rationalize the disappearance of Don Quixote's books?
(a) They blame the curate.
(b) They blame an enchanter.
(c) They make Don Quixote believe he gave them away.
(d) They blame the rats.
6. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
(a) Amadis and Orlando
(b) Peter and Paul
(c) Arthur and Lancelot
(d) Valiant and Gawain
7. As Dorothea tells her story, what does Cardenio suddenly realize?
(a) That she can lead him to Lucinda.
(b) That she is the farmer's daughter Don Fernando promises to marry.
(c) That she is more beautiful than Lucinda.
(d) That he cannot remember Lucinda's face.
8. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
(a) Unrequited love for Leandra
(b) How his goat is the enchanted Leandra.
(c) How Leandra became a shepardess.
(d) Betrayal by a woman
9. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
(a) She wants to leave and go to a Christian nation.
(b) She fears being sold into slavery.
(c) She thinks he is the most handsome man she ever saw.
(d) Her father wants to marry her off to an old Moor gentleman.
10. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
(b) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
(c) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
(d) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
11. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
(a) Don Quixote who is wanted by the king.
(b) Sancho Panza who has not paid his taxes to the crown.
(c) Don Luis, the boy who is following Clara.
(d) The Captive Captain who had a bounty on his head.
12. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) The barber and the priest
(b) His housekeeper and his niece
(c) The mayor of La Mancha
(d) The mischevious student Sampson
13. What does the innkeeper use as a holy book of heraldry in the knighthood ceremony?
(a) A catalogue
(b) A Bible
(c) His ledger book
(d) An old book of chivalry
14. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
(a) He is a prince who has fallen in love with a commoner.
(b) He is the son of a wealthy man who is in love with the judge's daughter.
(c) He is a poor poy who is pining away for love of clara.
(d) He is one of the escaped criminals the king is looking for.
15. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
(a) They are freed in a raid by spanish troops.
(b) Zoraida's father learns of her desire to go to a Christian country and helps them.
(c) They manage to rob the cruel Moor who is their master.
(d) She gives them enough money to ransom themselves and buy a boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can the first of Don Quixote's adventures be described?
2. During the visit of the curate and the barber, why is there a commotion outside Don Quixote's door?
3. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
4. In yet another tale within the tale, who does the captive captain contrive to rescue?
5. What unlikely group of men does Don Quixote set free and enjoin them to go tell Dulcinea of their release?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)