|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(b) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
(c) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(d) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
2. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A bottle
(b) A teapot
(c) A cane
(d) A pillowcase
3. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
(a) Don Luis, the boy who is following Clara.
(b) Sancho Panza who has not paid his taxes to the crown.
(c) The Captive Captain who had a bounty on his head.
(d) Don Quixote who is wanted by the king.
4. What unlikely group of men does Don Quixote set free and enjoin them to go tell Dulcinea of their release?
(a) A group of soldiers on military training
(b) A group of actors rehearsing for a play
(c) A group of Christians captured by the Moors
(d) A group of criminals being taken to the galleys
5. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
(a) The plays staged at his time are worthy of high praise.
(b) Plays are a reflection of real life and teach valuable morals.
(c) The plays that are staged nowadays are mirrors of absurdity, patterns of folly, and images of lewdness.
(d) Plays are educational to those who cannot read books.
6. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
(b) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
(c) From listening to children's fairy tales
(d) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
7. Why does Lothario think Camilla is being unvirtuous?
(a) He thinks she is beginning to respond to him and the poems he writes for her.
(b) He notices that Camilla goes out every afternoon when Anselmo is away.
(c) He hears that a number of men have been visiting her at home.
(d) He sees her maid's lover leaving the house early one morning.
8. Realizing their mistake, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza go to hide only to meet up again with Gines de Pasamonte who steals Sancho's ass?
(a) The Sierra Morena mountains
(b) The fulling mills
(c) Back in La Mancha
(d) The inn where they stayed before
9. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
(b) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
(c) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
(d) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
10. How does Don Quixote believe he has been enchanted in the night as he guards the inn?
(a) He thinks he sees Dulcinea walking in the moonlight around the inn.
(b) He is tricked into being tied by one hand in the barn loft as he stands on the back of Rozinante.
(c) He sees giants walking everywhere in the courtyard of the inn.
(d) He uses a pitchfork in place of his lance which has been broken to pieces.
11. What characteristic do Quixote and the innkeeper share as observed by Dorothea and Cardenio?
(a) They both love the books of chivalry and believe them to be true.
(b) They are both fond of money and use tricks to get it.
(c) They both love fighting with uneducated people.
(d) They are about the same age, height, and build.
12. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
(a) He ties Rocinante's back legs together.
(b) He points Rocinante in the wrong direction.
(c) He loosens Quixote's saddles so it falls off.
(d) He puts a sleeping powder into Don Quixote's wine.
13. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
(a) A cruel murderess.
(b) The daughter of a wealthy man who begins acting as a shepherdess.
(c) The princess of El Toboso.
(d) The milkmaid who marries a king.
14. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
(a) He forgets where he left Don Quixote.
(b) He now believes the inn is an enchanted castle.
(c) He has forgotten to bring the letter Quixote wrote to Dulcinea.
(d) He refuses to give them any information about Don Quixote.
15. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
(b) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
(c) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
(d) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Camilla, Anselmo, and Lothario at the end of the tale within the tale?
2. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
3. What stops the melee at the inn in the middle of the night?
4. Why do Sancho and the squire of the Knight of the Wood go off by themselves?
5. What does Don Quixote imagine to be the legendary helmet of Mambrino?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)