|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A teapot
(b) A bottle
(c) A cane
(d) A pillowcase
2. What does Don Quixote imagine to be the legendary helmet of Mambrino?
(a) A gravy boat
(b) A mop bucket
(c) A brass barber's bowl
(d) A tea kettle
3. How does Cervantes poke fun at his own mistakes in writing the first part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) He discusses putting in so many unrelated stories in the book.
(b) He talks about how the characters in his book are unbelievable.
(c) He raises the question of the disappearing ass, Dapple, and its unexplained reappearance.
(d) He discusses the absurdity of a man like Don Quixote.
4. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
(b) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
(c) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
(d) From listening to children's fairy tales
5. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
(a) Don Quixote seems ready to accept Sampson as his squire.
(b) He realizes that Don Quixote is penniless and cannot pay.
(c) He thinks about the isle he will one day reign over.
(d) The curate promises to pay Sancho to go with him as a protection.
6. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
(a) Dulcinea and her entourage
(b) A goat and its goatherd
(c) Some real demons
(d) The ghosts of two knights errant
7. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
(a) He is a poor poy who is pining away for love of clara.
(b) He is a prince who has fallen in love with a commoner.
(c) He is the son of a wealthy man who is in love with the judge's daughter.
(d) He is one of the escaped criminals the king is looking for.
8. What is the cause of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza getting a brutal beating from the Yanguesan carriers?
(a) Rozinante's attempt to mate with their pirze mares
(b) Don Quixote's attempt to secure two horses for himself and Sancho
(c) Sancho's attempt to get back hos mule
(d) Don Quixote's idea that the carriers are enemy soldiers.
9. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
(a) Don Quixote thinks they are the king and his court.
(b) Don Quixote thinks they are emmisaries from the Lady Dulcinea.
(c) Don Quixote asks them for money to support a knight errant.
(d) One actor plays a trick that causes Rozinante to throw Don Quixote.
10. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
(a) In love
(b) Very old
(c) Without armor
(d) In poverty
11. What secret does Sancho Panza overhear and tell to Don Quixote?
(a) That the curate tells the Princess Micomicona to find another champion.
(b) That the Princess Micomicona no longer has a kingdom.
(c) That Dorothea is not Princess Micomicona.
(d) That the Princess Micomicona has fallen in love with Don Fernando.
12. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
(a) A narrator is introduced who discovers an old manuscript about Don Quixote.
(b) Lengthy poetic renditions are added to give the story more authenticity.
(c) A parallel is drawn between Don Quixote and King Arthur.
(d) A sage is found to travel with Don Quixote and write down his adventures.
13. In yet another tale within the tale, who does the captive captain contrive to rescue?
(a) A Moorish lady who wishes to be a Christian.
(b) A princess running away from a marriage she does not want.
(c) A group of laves about to be impaled.
(d) A woman and her children who are about to be sold as slaves.
14. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
(a) He tells Sancho that they only appear to be flesh and blood.
(b) He agrees with Sancho but can do nothing.
(c) He insists that they are demons and he and Sancho have been enchanted.
(d) He says that Sancho is so hungry he is hallucinating.
15. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
(a) She fears being sold into slavery.
(b) Her father wants to marry her off to an old Moor gentleman.
(c) She thinks he is the most handsome man she ever saw.
(d) She wants to leave and go to a Christian nation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sancho Panza continue to insist that Don Quixote is not enchanted?
2. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
3. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
4. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
5. What coincidence does Cervantes use to untangle some of the plot in Chapter 36?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)