|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
(a) Don Quixote seems ready to accept Sampson as his squire.
(b) He thinks about the isle he will one day reign over.
(c) He realizes that Don Quixote is penniless and cannot pay.
(d) The curate promises to pay Sancho to go with him as a protection.
2. Why does Lothario think Camilla is being unvirtuous?
(a) He thinks she is beginning to respond to him and the poems he writes for her.
(b) He notices that Camilla goes out every afternoon when Anselmo is away.
(c) He hears that a number of men have been visiting her at home.
(d) He sees her maid's lover leaving the house early one morning.
3. When Don Quixote sets out again on adventures, who does he take with him?
(a) Sancho Panza
(c) The barber
4. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
(a) Don Quixote asks them for money to support a knight errant.
(b) Don Quixote thinks they are emmisaries from the Lady Dulcinea.
(c) Don Quixote thinks they are the king and his court.
(d) One actor plays a trick that causes Rozinante to throw Don Quixote.
5. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
(a) By getting a legal restraining order.
(b) By seeing him dead and buried at the end of Part Two.
(c) By allowing only a select few people to see his work.
(d) By writing the rest of the books in code.
6. Where does Quixote send Sancho Panza on a mission?
(a) To find the half naked man
(b) To see the lady Dulcinea
(c) To return to the inn he believes is an enchanted castle
(d) To buy provisions for a long camp out in the mountains
7. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A pillowcase
(b) A bottle
(c) A teapot
(d) A cane
8. In yet another coincidence, what happens when a learned judge arrives at the inn with his beautiful daughter?
(a) The girl turns out to be Zoraida's long lost sister.
(b) The judge is looking for some escaped criminals.
(c) The judge has come to take Don Quixote back to La Mancha.
(d) The Captive Captain recognizes the judge as his brother.
9. What happens when the barber shows up and recognizes the packsaddle and the basin he lost to Don Quixote?
(a) Don Quixote pays the man for the helmet and the packsaddle.
(b) Don Quixote is convinced the basin is a basin.
(c) Don Quixote challenges the porr barber to a duel.
(d) Don Quixote insists that the basin is the helmet of Mambrino.
10. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
(a) He ties Rocinante's back legs together.
(b) He loosens Quixote's saddles so it falls off.
(c) He puts a sleeping powder into Don Quixote's wine.
(d) He points Rocinante in the wrong direction.
11. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(b) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
(c) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(d) He is set upon to see if he has money.
12. What stops the melee at the inn in the middle of the night?
(a) An officer of the Holy Brotherhood believes that Don Quixote is dead.
(b) The inn catches on fire.
(c) Don Quixote's bed falls through the floor into the room below.
(d) The police arrive and break up the fighting.
13. What does the imagery of the Golden Age represent to Don Quixote?
(a) A simpler, more peaceful time in the age of chivalry.
(b) The days when literature was at its peak.
(c) A time when there was money for everyone.
(d) The times when uses of metal were discovered.
14. What is the challenge to knight errantry presented to Don Quixote by Vivaldo?
(a) Vivaldo says that the rules of knight errantry need to be rewritten.
(b) Instead of making their last moments in honor of their ladies, knights should instead submit themselves to God.
(c) Vivaldo suggests that the day of knights errant are long past and Don Quizxote should go home.
(d) Vivaldo challenges Don Quixote to find and slay a dragon.
15. Who judges the basin to be a helmet, though incomplete?
(a) The barber from La Mancha
(b) The curate
(c) The innkeeper
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
2. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
3. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
4. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
5. How do the curate and the barber plan to get Quixote to return with them to La Mancha?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)