|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. These early adventures of Don Quixote establish what theme that runs throughout the novel?
(a) That he wins people over by his great imagination.
(b) That his meddling seldom has the resultsfor which he plans.
(c) That he is invincible when he wears his armor.
(d) That the age of chivalry is not dead.
2. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
(a) The ghosts of two knights errant
(b) A goat and its goatherd
(c) Dulcinea and her entourage
(d) Some real demons
3. The niece, the housekeeper, the curate and the barber all agree on what as the cause of Don Quixote's madness?
(a) The cheap wine he has been drinking
(b) His poor diet
(c) His extreme old age
(d) His vast collection of books
4. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
(a) Sancho Panza who has not paid his taxes to the crown.
(b) The Captive Captain who had a bounty on his head.
(c) Don Quixote who is wanted by the king.
(d) Don Luis, the boy who is following Clara.
5. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
(a) Plays are a reflection of real life and teach valuable morals.
(b) The plays staged at his time are worthy of high praise.
(c) The plays that are staged nowadays are mirrors of absurdity, patterns of folly, and images of lewdness.
(d) Plays are educational to those who cannot read books.
6. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
(a) He is transformed into a knight errant.
(b) He spits it out because it tastes so disgusting.
(c) He starts braying like his mule.
(d) He becomes deathly ill and cannot expel the substance.
7. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
(b) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
(c) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
(d) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
8. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
(a) Money so that he can return home
(b) Wine to numb his pain
(c) Fierabras balm that Quixote had said would cure anything.
(d) A suit of armor to protect him against future beatings
9. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
(a) They think there are many men attacking them.
(b) They are mourners taking a body to Segovia and are unarmed.
(c) They cannot see well in the darkness.
(d) They think Don Quixote and Sancho are ghosts.
10. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(b) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(c) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
(d) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
11. As Dorothea tells her story, what does Cardenio suddenly realize?
(a) That she can lead him to Lucinda.
(b) That she is the farmer's daughter Don Fernando promises to marry.
(c) That he cannot remember Lucinda's face.
(d) That she is more beautiful than Lucinda.
12. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
(a) The tale of Lancelot and Guinevere
(b) The tale of two cities
(c) The tale of Robin and Marian
(d) The tale of Anselmo and Lothario
13. What symbolism does Cervantes use to express the closeness of Quixote and Sancho?
(a) The sun and the moon
(b) The Knight of the Wood and his squire
(c) The closeness of Dapple and Rozinante
(d) The common belief in enchantment
14. In yet another coincidence, what happens when a learned judge arrives at the inn with his beautiful daughter?
(a) The girl turns out to be Zoraida's long lost sister.
(b) The Captive Captain recognizes the judge as his brother.
(c) The judge has come to take Don Quixote back to La Mancha.
(d) The judge is looking for some escaped criminals.
15. What does Don Quixote imagine to be the legendary helmet of Mambrino?
(a) A mop bucket
(b) A brass barber's bowl
(c) A tea kettle
(d) A gravy boat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
2. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
3. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
4. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
5. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)