|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
(a) They cannot see well in the darkness.
(b) They are mourners taking a body to Segovia and are unarmed.
(c) They think there are many men attacking them.
(d) They think Don Quixote and Sancho are ghosts.
2. How does Don Quixote interpret the penitents and their effigy of the Virgin?
(a) He thinks they have come to set him free of enchantment.
(b) He sees them as holy men on the way to Jerusalem.
(c) He sees them as criminals who have kidnapped a Lady.
(d) He thinks they are ghosts.
3. Where does Quixote send Sancho Panza on a mission?
(a) To find the half naked man
(b) To see the lady Dulcinea
(c) To return to the inn he believes is an enchanted castle
(d) To buy provisions for a long camp out in the mountains
4. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
(a) Peter and Paul
(b) Amadis and Orlando
(c) Valiant and Gawain
(d) Arthur and Lancelot
5. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
(b) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
(c) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
(d) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
6. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
(a) Reminding Quixote about his knightly obligations
(b) Talking about Sancho Panza
(c) Asking about Dulcinea
(d) Talking about knight errantry
7. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
(b) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
(c) From listening to children's fairy tales
(d) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
8. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(b) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(c) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
(d) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
9. In yet another coincidence, what happens when a learned judge arrives at the inn with his beautiful daughter?
(a) The girl turns out to be Zoraida's long lost sister.
(b) The Captive Captain recognizes the judge as his brother.
(c) The judge has come to take Don Quixote back to La Mancha.
(d) The judge is looking for some escaped criminals.
10. How does Don Quixote receive his knighthood?
(a) From Dulcinea del Toboso
(b) From the innkeeper he imagines as Lord of a great castle
(c) From the prostitutes he imagines as great ladies
(d) From a passing knight errant
11. In yet another tale within the tale, who does the captive captain contrive to rescue?
(a) A Moorish lady who wishes to be a Christian.
(b) A group of laves about to be impaled.
(c) A woman and her children who are about to be sold as slaves.
(d) A princess running away from a marriage she does not want.
12. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
(a) The ghosts of two knights errant
(b) A goat and its goatherd
(c) Dulcinea and her entourage
(d) Some real demons
13. What secret does Sancho Panza overhear and tell to Don Quixote?
(a) That the Princess Micomicona no longer has a kingdom.
(b) That the Princess Micomicona has fallen in love with Don Fernando.
(c) That the curate tells the Princess Micomicona to find another champion.
(d) That Dorothea is not Princess Micomicona.
14. How does Quixote blend knight errantry and sainthood?
(a) He says knights are appointed by God.
(b) He says every true knight dies with the name of God on his lips.
(c) He says knights must also be saintly in behavior.
(d) He says knight errantry is a religion.
15. On their next adventure, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza head first?
(a) To El Toboso to get the blessing of the Lady Dulcinea
(b) To the mountains for some training
(c) To Constantinople to start a crusade
(d) Back to the inn that Quixote thinks is a castle
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolism does Cervantes use to express the closeness of Quixote and Sancho?
2. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
3. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
4. What does the innkeeper use as a holy book of heraldry in the knighthood ceremony?
5. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)