|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
(a) Her father wants to marry her off to an old Moor gentleman.
(b) She thinks he is the most handsome man she ever saw.
(c) She wants to leave and go to a Christian nation.
(d) She fears being sold into slavery.
2. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(b) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
(c) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(d) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
3. What characteristic do Quixote and the innkeeper share as observed by Dorothea and Cardenio?
(a) They both love fighting with uneducated people.
(b) They both love the books of chivalry and believe them to be true.
(c) They are about the same age, height, and build.
(d) They are both fond of money and use tricks to get it.
4. What stops the melee at the inn in the middle of the night?
(a) Don Quixote's bed falls through the floor into the room below.
(b) The inn catches on fire.
(c) The police arrive and break up the fighting.
(d) An officer of the Holy Brotherhood believes that Don Quixote is dead.
5. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
(a) He forgets where he left Don Quixote.
(b) He refuses to give them any information about Don Quixote.
(c) He has forgotten to bring the letter Quixote wrote to Dulcinea.
(d) He now believes the inn is an enchanted castle.
6. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
(a) To remain in his own station and not think of governorships.
(b) That he should break his leg and get out of going with the madman.
(c) That he must come home with another 100 crowns or not come home at all.
(d) That this time he will surely die.
7. What happens to Camilla, Anselmo, and Lothario at the end of the tale within the tale?
(a) Anselmo dies and Lothario and Camilla marry.
(b) Lothario and Anselmo join the army and Camilla becomes a nun.
(c) They all kiss and make up.
(d) They all die.
8. What is Don Quixote's explanation for the way the people at the inn toss Sancho into the air from a blanket?
(a) Sancho had it coming to him.
(b) The castle is enchanted.
(c) Sancho allowed it to happen so Don Quixote could escape.
(d) They had fun with Sancho because they could not do that to a knight errant.
9. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
(b) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
(c) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
(d) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
10. When Don Quixote sets out again on adventures, who does he take with him?
(a) Sancho Panza
(b) The barber
11. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
(a) Wine to numb his pain
(b) Money so that he can return home
(c) A suit of armor to protect him against future beatings
(d) Fierabras balm that Quixote had said would cure anything.
12. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A pillowcase
(b) A teapot
(c) A bottle
(d) A cane
13. What is Marcela's argument that she is not responsible for the death of Chrysostom?
(a) She knows nothing of Chrysostom's fixation on her.
(b) She has warned Chrysostom to leave her alone and find another girl.
(c) Her beauty does not obligate her to love those who love her for it.
(d) She does not know how a nobleman can waste away for a shepherdess.
14. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
(a) He loosens Quixote's saddles so it falls off.
(b) He ties Rocinante's back legs together.
(c) He puts a sleeping powder into Don Quixote's wine.
(d) He points Rocinante in the wrong direction.
15. What unlikely group of men does Don Quixote set free and enjoin them to go tell Dulcinea of their release?
(a) A group of criminals being taken to the galleys
(b) A group of actors rehearsing for a play
(c) A group of soldiers on military training
(d) A group of Christians captured by the Moors
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the imagery of the Golden Age represent to Don Quixote?
2. Who comes to inform Don Quixote of the book that has been written about him?
3. Realizing their mistake, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza go to hide only to meet up again with Gines de Pasamonte who steals Sancho's ass?
4. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
5. Who judges the basin to be a helmet, though incomplete?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)