|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dorothea get Don Quixote to leave the mountain and travel with her, the curate, the barber, Sancho and Cardenio?
(a) By pretending to be the sister of the Lady Dulcinea.
(b) By promising to marry him if he gets her home safely.
(c) By pretending to be a Queen driven from her country by evil giants.
(d) By reading aloud from a book of chivalry each night.
2. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A bottle
(b) A teapot
(c) A pillowcase
(d) A cane
3. Why do Sancho and the squire of the Knight of the Wood go off by themselves?
(a) The Knight of the Wood is shocked that Sancho speaks up so freely.
(b) They want to talk about their crazy masters.
(c) The knight's squire is Sancho's cousin.
(d) Don Quixote orders them to go away.
4. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
(a) He is a prince who has fallen in love with a commoner.
(b) He is a poor poy who is pining away for love of clara.
(c) He is the son of a wealthy man who is in love with the judge's daughter.
(d) He is one of the escaped criminals the king is looking for.
5. What coincidence does Cervantes use to untangle some of the plot in Chapter 36?
(a) Cardenio finds Lucinda hiding in the stable.
(b) Don Fernando is attacked by highwaymen and brought to the inn.
(c) Don Quixote comes to his senses and decides to go home.
(d) Lucinda and Don Fernando show up at the inn.
6. As Don Quixote and Sancho Panza look for water in the night, what spooks them?
(a) The sound of many horses
(b) A metallic clanking and the sound of running water
(c) A drum beating in the distance
(d) A ghostly moan over the sound of water
7. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
(a) Don Quixote offers a large reward for the mule.
(b) Don Quixote finds the mule in the castle stables.
(c) Gines de Pasamonte rides up disguised as a gypsy but Sancho Panza recognizes him.
(d) The mule has bucked off its captor and headed back to La Mancha.
8. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
(a) Don Quixote thinks they are emmisaries from the Lady Dulcinea.
(b) Don Quixote thinks they are the king and his court.
(c) One actor plays a trick that causes Rozinante to throw Don Quixote.
(d) Don Quixote asks them for money to support a knight errant.
9. How do the niece and housekeeper rationalize the disappearance of Don Quixote's books?
(a) They blame an enchanter.
(b) They make Don Quixote believe he gave them away.
(c) They blame the curate.
(d) They blame the rats.
10. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
(a) He is another unreal enchantment.
(b) He is actually Sampson.
(c) He has not actually been knighted.
(d) He is actually a woman.
11. Realizing their mistake, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza go to hide only to meet up again with Gines de Pasamonte who steals Sancho's ass?
(a) The inn where they stayed before
(b) The fulling mills
(c) The Sierra Morena mountains
(d) Back in La Mancha
12. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) His housekeeper and his niece
(b) The mayor of La Mancha
(c) The barber and the priest
(d) The mischevious student Sampson
13. When Don Quixote sets out again on adventures, who does he take with him?
(b) The barber
(d) Sancho Panza
14. Why does Sancho Panza doubt that the enchanted demons are real?
(a) He overhears them speaking in his native tongue.
(b) He does not believe in demons.
(c) He touches them and they feel like human bodies.
(d) He sees that they leave footprints when they walk.
15. Who comes to inform Don Quixote of the book that has been written about him?
(a) Juana Panza
(b) The mischevious student Sampson
(c) The canon
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
2. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
3. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
4. How does Don Quixote interpret the penitents and their effigy of the Virgin?
5. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)