|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What device does Cervantes use to introduce the comedic nature of Don Quixote?
(a) A dream sequence
(b) Silly advice from a friend
(c) Talking animals
(d) A gypsy fortune teller
2. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
(a) He says that Sancho is so hungry he is hallucinating.
(b) He agrees with Sancho but can do nothing.
(c) He insists that they are demons and he and Sancho have been enchanted.
(d) He tells Sancho that they only appear to be flesh and blood.
3. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
(a) Sancho Panza who has not paid his taxes to the crown.
(b) Don Quixote who is wanted by the king.
(c) The Captive Captain who had a bounty on his head.
(d) Don Luis, the boy who is following Clara.
4. Why do Sancho and the squire of the Knight of the Wood go off by themselves?
(a) The Knight of the Wood is shocked that Sancho speaks up so freely.
(b) Don Quixote orders them to go away.
(c) They want to talk about their crazy masters.
(d) The knight's squire is Sancho's cousin.
5. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
(b) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(c) He is set upon to see if he has money.
(d) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
6. What does the innkeeper use as a holy book of heraldry in the knighthood ceremony?
(a) A Bible
(b) A catalogue
(c) His ledger book
(d) An old book of chivalry
7. During the visit of the curate and the barber, why is there a commotion outside Don Quixote's door?
(a) The village people have come, uspet about the latest book.
(b) The women are trying to prevent Sancho Panza from entering.
(c) The innkeeper has come to try and collect his money.
(d) Don Quixote's horse has come into the house.
8. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
(a) He refuses to give them any information about Don Quixote.
(b) He forgets where he left Don Quixote.
(c) He now believes the inn is an enchanted castle.
(d) He has forgotten to bring the letter Quixote wrote to Dulcinea.
9. Why is the canon so amazed at Don Quixote's speech?
(a) Because he is so articulate and convincing.
(b) Because he is right about everything he says.
(c) Because he can talk for such a long time without stopping.
(d) Because none of it makes any sense whatsoever.
10. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) The barber and the priest
(b) The mischevious student Sampson
(c) His housekeeper and his niece
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
11. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From listening to children's fairy tales
(b) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
(c) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
(d) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
12. How does Don Quixote believe he has been enchanted in the night as he guards the inn?
(a) He uses a pitchfork in place of his lance which has been broken to pieces.
(b) He thinks he sees Dulcinea walking in the moonlight around the inn.
(c) He sees giants walking everywhere in the courtyard of the inn.
(d) He is tricked into being tied by one hand in the barn loft as he stands on the back of Rozinante.
13. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
(c) Oak trees
(d) Large rocks
14. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(b) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
(c) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
(d) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
15. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
(a) Don Quixote asks them for money to support a knight errant.
(b) Don Quixote thinks they are the king and his court.
(c) Don Quixote thinks they are emmisaries from the Lady Dulcinea.
(d) One actor plays a trick that causes Rozinante to throw Don Quixote.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
2. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
3. What is Cervantes' complaint in the prologue to the second part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
4. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
5. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)