|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic do Quixote and the innkeeper share as observed by Dorothea and Cardenio?
(a) They both love fighting with uneducated people.
(b) They are about the same age, height, and build.
(c) They both love the books of chivalry and believe them to be true.
(d) They are both fond of money and use tricks to get it.
2. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
(a) That he should break his leg and get out of going with the madman.
(b) That this time he will surely die.
(c) To remain in his own station and not think of governorships.
(d) That he must come home with another 100 crowns or not come home at all.
3. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(b) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(c) He is set upon to see if he has money.
(d) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
4. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
(b) Oak trees
(d) Large rocks
5. On their next adventure, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza head first?
(a) To El Toboso to get the blessing of the Lady Dulcinea
(b) Back to the inn that Quixote thinks is a castle
(c) To Constantinople to start a crusade
(d) To the mountains for some training
6. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
(a) Unrequited love for Leandra
(b) Betrayal by a woman
(c) How his goat is the enchanted Leandra.
(d) How Leandra became a shepardess.
7. As Don Quixote and Sancho Panza look for water in the night, what spooks them?
(a) A metallic clanking and the sound of running water
(b) A drum beating in the distance
(c) A ghostly moan over the sound of water
(d) The sound of many horses
8. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
(a) In poverty
(b) Without armor
(c) In love
(d) Very old
9. How does Cervantes poke fun at his own mistakes in writing the first part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) He talks about how the characters in his book are unbelievable.
(b) He discusses putting in so many unrelated stories in the book.
(c) He raises the question of the disappearing ass, Dapple, and its unexplained reappearance.
(d) He discusses the absurdity of a man like Don Quixote.
10. Andres, the boy Don Quixote saves from a beating in his early adventures, shows up and tells Quixote never to help him again. Why?
(a) Now no one wants to hire him because they say he has a knight protecting him.
(b) He is punished even worse after Don Quixote rides away.
(c) He doesn't want to be any further indebted to the knight errant.
(d) Everyone laughs at him because he cannot defend himself.
11. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
(a) That she is the Princess Micomicona of the land of Micomicon whose kingdom has been taken over by a giant by the name of Pandafilando of the Malignant.
(b) That an evil mage has enchanted her kingdom and she cannot return.
(c) That a knight errant will destroy her and take over her kingdom.
(d) That she must marry a giant to regain her lost kingdom.
12. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
(a) He starts braying like his mule.
(b) He becomes deathly ill and cannot expel the substance.
(c) He spits it out because it tastes so disgusting.
(d) He is transformed into a knight errant.
13. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From listening to children's fairy tales
(b) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
(c) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
(d) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
14. How does Don Quixote interpret the penitents and their effigy of the Virgin?
(a) He thinks they are ghosts.
(b) He sees them as holy men on the way to Jerusalem.
(c) He sees them as criminals who have kidnapped a Lady.
(d) He thinks they have come to set him free of enchantment.
15. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
(a) He says he never read anything like that in his books about knight errantry.
(b) He turns it around and gets Sancho to pay him a monthly wage.
(c) He fires him and starts looking for a replacement.
(d) He pays him with enchanted money that Sancho cannot see.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dorothea get Don Quixote to leave the mountain and travel with her, the curate, the barber, Sancho and Cardenio?
2. What is Don Quixote's explanation for the way the people at the inn toss Sancho into the air from a blanket?
3. Why does Sancho Panza continue to insist that Don Quixote is not enchanted?
4. Who comes to inform Don Quixote of the book that has been written about him?
5. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)