|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On their next adventure, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza head first?
(a) Back to the inn that Quixote thinks is a castle
(b) To Constantinople to start a crusade
(c) To El Toboso to get the blessing of the Lady Dulcinea
(d) To the mountains for some training
2. What is Marcela's argument that she is not responsible for the death of Chrysostom?
(a) Her beauty does not obligate her to love those who love her for it.
(b) She has warned Chrysostom to leave her alone and find another girl.
(c) She does not know how a nobleman can waste away for a shepherdess.
(d) She knows nothing of Chrysostom's fixation on her.
3. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) He is set upon to see if he has money.
(b) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(c) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
(d) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
4. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
(a) He is one of the escaped criminals the king is looking for.
(b) He is a prince who has fallen in love with a commoner.
(c) He is the son of a wealthy man who is in love with the judge's daughter.
(d) He is a poor poy who is pining away for love of clara.
5. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
(a) How his goat is the enchanted Leandra.
(b) How Leandra became a shepardess.
(c) Betrayal by a woman
(d) Unrequited love for Leandra
6. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A bottle
(b) A teapot
(c) A pillowcase
(d) A cane
7. What device does Cervantes use to introduce the comedic nature of Don Quixote?
(a) A gypsy fortune teller
(b) Silly advice from a friend
(c) A dream sequence
(d) Talking animals
8. As Dorothea tells her story, what does Cardenio suddenly realize?
(a) That she is the farmer's daughter Don Fernando promises to marry.
(b) That he cannot remember Lucinda's face.
(c) That she is more beautiful than Lucinda.
(d) That she can lead him to Lucinda.
9. How does Don Quixote receive his knighthood?
(a) From the innkeeper he imagines as Lord of a great castle
(b) From a passing knight errant
(c) From Dulcinea del Toboso
(d) From the prostitutes he imagines as great ladies
10. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
(b) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
(c) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
(d) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
11. What happens to Sancho Panza when he drinks Don Quixote's balm of wine, oil, salt and rosemary?
(a) He becomes deathly ill and cannot expel the substance.
(b) He is transformed into a knight errant.
(c) He spits it out because it tastes so disgusting.
(d) He starts braying like his mule.
12. Why does Sancho Panza continue to insist that Don Quixote is not enchanted?
(a) Because he heard the demons talking about stopping to eat.
(b) Because Quixote understands that he is in a cage.
(c) Because Don Quixote complains of hunger.
(d) Because Quixote needs to relieve himself.
13. How does Don Quixote interpret the penitents and their effigy of the Virgin?
(a) He thinks they have come to set him free of enchantment.
(b) He thinks they are ghosts.
(c) He sees them as holy men on the way to Jerusalem.
(d) He sees them as criminals who have kidnapped a Lady.
14. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
(a) The plays that are staged nowadays are mirrors of absurdity, patterns of folly, and images of lewdness.
(b) Plays are a reflection of real life and teach valuable morals.
(c) Plays are educational to those who cannot read books.
(d) The plays staged at his time are worthy of high praise.
15. What secret does Don Fernando confide to Cardenio?
(a) An affair with a farmer's daughter he promised to marry
(b) That some girl's father is trying to kill him.
(c) Many sexual experiences with poor girls in his village
(d) An illegitimate child by a farmer's daughter
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
2. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
3. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
4. During the visit of the curate and the barber, why is there a commotion outside Don Quixote's door?
5. What happens when the barber shows up and recognizes the packsaddle and the basin he lost to Don Quixote?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)