Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
(a) He is another unreal enchantment.
(b) He is actually a woman.
(c) He is actually Sampson.
(d) He has not actually been knighted.
2. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
(a) The tale of Anselmo and Lothario
(b) The tale of Lancelot and Guinevere
(c) The tale of Robin and Marian
(d) The tale of two cities
3. What characteristic do Quixote and the innkeeper share as observed by Dorothea and Cardenio?
(a) They both love the books of chivalry and believe them to be true.
(b) They are about the same age, height, and build.
(c) They both love fighting with uneducated people.
(d) They are both fond of money and use tricks to get it.
4. Andres, the boy Don Quixote saves from a beating in his early adventures, shows up and tells Quixote never to help him again. Why?
(a) Everyone laughs at him because he cannot defend himself.
(b) Now no one wants to hire him because they say he has a knight protecting him.
(c) He doesn't want to be any further indebted to the knight errant.
(d) He is punished even worse after Don Quixote rides away.
5. How can the first of Don Quixote's adventures be described?
(a) They are his first encounters with giants he needs to slay.
(b) They are misadventures that end in disaster for Don Quixote and a boy he tries to save.
(c) They are histerically funny adventures that see him victorious.
(d) They are completely imaginary in Don Quixote's head.
6. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
(a) He tells Sancho that they only appear to be flesh and blood.
(b) He says that Sancho is so hungry he is hallucinating.
(c) He insists that they are demons and he and Sancho have been enchanted.
(d) He agrees with Sancho but can do nothing.
7. In yet another coincidence, what happens when a learned judge arrives at the inn with his beautiful daughter?
(a) The Captive Captain recognizes the judge as his brother.
(b) The judge is looking for some escaped criminals.
(c) The girl turns out to be Zoraida's long lost sister.
(d) The judge has come to take Don Quixote back to La Mancha.
8. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
(a) The mule has bucked off its captor and headed back to La Mancha.
(b) Don Quixote finds the mule in the castle stables.
(c) Gines de Pasamonte rides up disguised as a gypsy but Sancho Panza recognizes him.
(d) Don Quixote offers a large reward for the mule.
9. What is the irony when Don Quixote speaks to a group of people?
(a) He can only speak things he has read in a book.
(b) His speech sounds madder than his actions.
(c) His speech is eloquent even though he suffers from madness.
(d) His speech is halting and not at all like that of a noble knight.
10. On their next adventure, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza head first?
(a) To Constantinople to start a crusade
(b) To El Toboso to get the blessing of the Lady Dulcinea
(c) Back to the inn that Quixote thinks is a castle
(d) To the mountains for some training
11. Who judges the basin to be a helmet, though incomplete?
(a) The innkeeper
(b) The barber from La Mancha
(d) The curate
12. What is the challenge to knight errantry presented to Don Quixote by Vivaldo?
(a) Vivaldo suggests that the day of knights errant are long past and Don Quizxote should go home.
(b) Vivaldo says that the rules of knight errantry need to be rewritten.
(c) Instead of making their last moments in honor of their ladies, knights should instead submit themselves to God.
(d) Vivaldo challenges Don Quixote to find and slay a dragon.
13. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) His housekeeper and his niece
(b) The mayor of La Mancha
(c) The mischevious student Sampson
(d) The barber and the priest
14. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
(a) Large rocks
(b) Oak trees
15. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
(a) That she is the Princess Micomicona of the land of Micomicon whose kingdom has been taken over by a giant by the name of Pandafilando of the Malignant.
(b) That an evil mage has enchanted her kingdom and she cannot return.
(c) That a knight errant will destroy her and take over her kingdom.
(d) That she must marry a giant to regain her lost kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lothario think Camilla is being unvirtuous?
2. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
3. What is Cervantes' complaint in the prologue to the second part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
4. Which two of Quixote's chivalric heroes inspire him to do a penance in the mountain?
5. How do the curate and the barber plan to get Quixote to return with them to La Mancha?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)