|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony when Don Quixote speaks to a group of people?
(a) His speech is halting and not at all like that of a noble knight.
(b) His speech is eloquent even though he suffers from madness.
(c) His speech sounds madder than his actions.
(d) He can only speak things he has read in a book.
2. During the visit of the curate and the barber, why is there a commotion outside Don Quixote's door?
(a) Don Quixote's horse has come into the house.
(b) The innkeeper has come to try and collect his money.
(c) The village people have come, uspet about the latest book.
(d) The women are trying to prevent Sancho Panza from entering.
3. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
(a) That she is the Princess Micomicona of the land of Micomicon whose kingdom has been taken over by a giant by the name of Pandafilando of the Malignant.
(b) That an evil mage has enchanted her kingdom and she cannot return.
(c) That a knight errant will destroy her and take over her kingdom.
(d) That she must marry a giant to regain her lost kingdom.
4. What coincidence does Cervantes use to untangle some of the plot in Chapter 36?
(a) Don Fernando is attacked by highwaymen and brought to the inn.
(b) Cardenio finds Lucinda hiding in the stable.
(c) Don Quixote comes to his senses and decides to go home.
(d) Lucinda and Don Fernando show up at the inn.
5. What is Cervantes' complaint in the prologue to the second part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) That the first part is really enough except for the public demand for more.
(b) That he is being forced to write a second part to satisfy royalty.
(c) That he has made no money off of the first part already in circulation.
(d) That some writer had written a second part plagirizing the character of Don Quixote.
6. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
(a) The tale of two cities
(b) The tale of Anselmo and Lothario
(c) The tale of Lancelot and Guinevere
(d) The tale of Robin and Marian
7. What characteristic do Quixote and the innkeeper share as observed by Dorothea and Cardenio?
(a) They both love the books of chivalry and believe them to be true.
(b) They are about the same age, height, and build.
(c) They both love fighting with uneducated people.
(d) They are both fond of money and use tricks to get it.
8. These early adventures of Don Quixote establish what theme that runs throughout the novel?
(a) That the age of chivalry is not dead.
(b) That his meddling seldom has the resultsfor which he plans.
(c) That he wins people over by his great imagination.
(d) That he is invincible when he wears his armor.
9. How do the niece and housekeeper rationalize the disappearance of Don Quixote's books?
(a) They blame the curate.
(b) They make Don Quixote believe he gave them away.
(c) They blame an enchanter.
(d) They blame the rats.
10. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
(a) Plays are a reflection of real life and teach valuable morals.
(b) Plays are educational to those who cannot read books.
(c) The plays that are staged nowadays are mirrors of absurdity, patterns of folly, and images of lewdness.
(d) The plays staged at his time are worthy of high praise.
11. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
(a) Don Quixote finds the mule in the castle stables.
(b) The mule has bucked off its captor and headed back to La Mancha.
(c) Don Quixote offers a large reward for the mule.
(d) Gines de Pasamonte rides up disguised as a gypsy but Sancho Panza recognizes him.
12. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
(a) The pillows on his bed
(b) The inn's windmill
(c) Pumpkins stacked in a corner
(d) Expensive wineskins filled with wine
13. Found lying on the ground and severely wounded, where is Don Quixote taken by a neighbor?
(a) To the local magistrate who will examine Don Quixote's mental ability.
(b) To the village where everyone can see him and make fun of him.
(c) To his door just as the curate and barber arrive with his niece and housekeeper.
(d) To an inn where he thinks he is in a castle.
14. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A teapot
(b) A pillowcase
(c) A cane
(d) A bottle
15. What does the innkeeper use as a holy book of heraldry in the knighthood ceremony?
(a) His ledger book
(b) A catalogue
(c) A Bible
(d) An old book of chivalry
Short Answer Questions
1. What argument does the niece use to try and get her uncle to stay home?
2. What happens to Camilla, Anselmo, and Lothario at the end of the tale within the tale?
3. What secret does Don Fernando confide to Cardenio?
4. What is the cause of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza getting a brutal beating from the Yanguesan carriers?
5. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)