|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What constantly overcomes Sancho Panza's skepticism about Don Quixote?
(a) Quixote's balm which can cure anything
(b) The promise of an island to rule
(c) The real things Don Quixote does.
(d) Sancho begins to see castles too.
2. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(b) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
(c) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(d) He is set upon to see if he has money.
3. What is the cause of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza getting a brutal beating from the Yanguesan carriers?
(a) Don Quixote's idea that the carriers are enemy soldiers.
(b) Rozinante's attempt to mate with their pirze mares
(c) Don Quixote's attempt to secure two horses for himself and Sancho
(d) Sancho's attempt to get back hos mule
4. In yet another tale within the tale, who does the captive captain contrive to rescue?
(a) A woman and her children who are about to be sold as slaves.
(b) A princess running away from a marriage she does not want.
(c) A Moorish lady who wishes to be a Christian.
(d) A group of laves about to be impaled.
5. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
(a) By allowing only a select few people to see his work.
(b) By writing the rest of the books in code.
(c) By getting a legal restraining order.
(d) By seeing him dead and buried at the end of Part Two.
6. Where does Quixote send Sancho Panza on a mission?
(a) To find the half naked man
(b) To buy provisions for a long camp out in the mountains
(c) To return to the inn he believes is an enchanted castle
(d) To see the lady Dulcinea
7. When Don Quixote sets out again on adventures, who does he take with him?
(c) The barber
(d) Sancho Panza
8. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
(b) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
(c) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
(d) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
9. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
(b) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
(c) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
(d) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
10. How does Cervantes poke fun at his own mistakes in writing the first part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) He discusses the absurdity of a man like Don Quixote.
(b) He raises the question of the disappearing ass, Dapple, and its unexplained reappearance.
(c) He discusses putting in so many unrelated stories in the book.
(d) He talks about how the characters in his book are unbelievable.
11. Realizing their mistake, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza go to hide only to meet up again with Gines de Pasamonte who steals Sancho's ass?
(a) Back in La Mancha
(b) The fulling mills
(c) The Sierra Morena mountains
(d) The inn where they stayed before
12. What happens to Camilla, Anselmo, and Lothario at the end of the tale within the tale?
(a) They all kiss and make up.
(b) Lothario and Anselmo join the army and Camilla becomes a nun.
(c) Anselmo dies and Lothario and Camilla marry.
(d) They all die.
13. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
(a) They think there are many men attacking them.
(b) They are mourners taking a body to Segovia and are unarmed.
(c) They think Don Quixote and Sancho are ghosts.
(d) They cannot see well in the darkness.
14. What shows Sancho Panza's simple mind as he meets up with the barber and the curate at the inn?
(a) He forgets where he left Don Quixote.
(b) He now believes the inn is an enchanted castle.
(c) He refuses to give them any information about Don Quixote.
(d) He has forgotten to bring the letter Quixote wrote to Dulcinea.
15. What device does Cervantes use to introduce the comedic nature of Don Quixote?
(a) Talking animals
(b) A gypsy fortune teller
(c) A dream sequence
(d) Silly advice from a friend
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
2. What does the imagery of the Golden Age represent to Don Quixote?
3. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
4. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
5. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)