|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dorothea get Don Quixote to leave the mountain and travel with her, the curate, the barber, Sancho and Cardenio?
(a) By promising to marry him if he gets her home safely.
(b) By reading aloud from a book of chivalry each night.
(c) By pretending to be a Queen driven from her country by evil giants.
(d) By pretending to be the sister of the Lady Dulcinea.
2. What is Cervantes' complaint in the prologue to the second part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) That he is being forced to write a second part to satisfy royalty.
(b) That he has made no money off of the first part already in circulation.
(c) That some writer had written a second part plagirizing the character of Don Quixote.
(d) That the first part is really enough except for the public demand for more.
3. What does the innkeeper use as a holy book of heraldry in the knighthood ceremony?
(a) His ledger book
(b) A catalogue
(c) A Bible
(d) An old book of chivalry
4. How does Cervantes poke fun at his own mistakes in writing the first part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) He talks about how the characters in his book are unbelievable.
(b) He raises the question of the disappearing ass, Dapple, and its unexplained reappearance.
(c) He discusses the absurdity of a man like Don Quixote.
(d) He discusses putting in so many unrelated stories in the book.
5. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
(a) Neither of them has ever seen Dulcinea and they do not know where to find her.
(b) Dulcinea is in the village selling wheat but they do not recognize her.
(c) Dulcinea has traveled to Madrid to visit the Queen.
(d) The priest at the church thinks they are up to no good and refuses to tell them where to find Dulcinea.
6. Don Quixote tells Sancho that there is no such thing as a knight errant who is not what?
(a) Without armor
(b) Very old
(c) In love
(d) In poverty
7. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(b) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
(c) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
(d) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
8. Why do Sancho and the squire of the Knight of the Wood go off by themselves?
(a) They want to talk about their crazy masters.
(b) The knight's squire is Sancho's cousin.
(c) The Knight of the Wood is shocked that Sancho speaks up so freely.
(d) Don Quixote orders them to go away.
9. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
(b) He is set upon to see if he has money.
(c) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(d) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
10. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
(a) Her father wants to marry her off to an old Moor gentleman.
(b) She wants to leave and go to a Christian nation.
(c) She fears being sold into slavery.
(d) She thinks he is the most handsome man she ever saw.
11. In the night, Don Quixote attacks what Sancho fears to be twenty or more ghosts. Why is he victorious?
(a) They are mourners taking a body to Segovia and are unarmed.
(b) They cannot see well in the darkness.
(c) They think there are many men attacking them.
(d) They think Don Quixote and Sancho are ghosts.
12. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) The mischevious student Sampson
(b) The barber and the priest
(c) His housekeeper and his niece
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
13. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A cane
(b) A teapot
(c) A bottle
(d) A pillowcase
14. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
(b) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
(c) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
(d) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
15. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
(b) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
(c) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
(d) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
2. Why does Lothario think Camilla is being unvirtuous?
3. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
4. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
5. What coincidence does Cervantes use to untangle some of the plot in Chapter 36?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)