|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbolism does Cervantes use to express the closeness of Quixote and Sancho?
(a) The sun and the moon
(b) The closeness of Dapple and Rozinante
(c) The common belief in enchantment
(d) The Knight of the Wood and his squire
2. Andres, the boy Don Quixote saves from a beating in his early adventures, shows up and tells Quixote never to help him again. Why?
(a) He is punished even worse after Don Quixote rides away.
(b) He doesn't want to be any further indebted to the knight errant.
(c) Everyone laughs at him because he cannot defend himself.
(d) Now no one wants to hire him because they say he has a knight protecting him.
3. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
(a) Expensive wineskins filled with wine
(b) The inn's windmill
(c) Pumpkins stacked in a corner
(d) The pillows on his bed
4. How do the curate and the barber plan to get Quixote to return with them to La Mancha?
(a) They send a false message saying Dulcinea bids Quixote to come to her immediately.
(b) They make him believe that the giants have invaded La Mancha.
(c) They change all the road signs along the way.
(d) They plan to tie him up in his sleep.
5. After the beating by the carriers, what does Sancho request that Don Quixote cannot supply?
(a) Wine to numb his pain
(b) Fierabras balm that Quixote had said would cure anything.
(c) A suit of armor to protect him against future beatings
(d) Money so that he can return home
6. When Sancho tells his wife, Teresa, that he is going again with Don Quixote, what advice does Teresa give?
(a) To remain in his own station and not think of governorships.
(b) That he must come home with another 100 crowns or not come home at all.
(c) That he should break his leg and get out of going with the madman.
(d) That this time he will surely die.
7. How does Don Quixote believe he has been enchanted in the night as he guards the inn?
(a) He thinks he sees Dulcinea walking in the moonlight around the inn.
(b) He is tricked into being tied by one hand in the barn loft as he stands on the back of Rozinante.
(c) He uses a pitchfork in place of his lance which has been broken to pieces.
(d) He sees giants walking everywhere in the courtyard of the inn.
8. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
(a) Once again, Sancho Panza is forced to walk.
(b) Don Quixote will do nothing because they are common people.
(c) Dapple throws the actor on his back and returns to Sancho Panza.
(d) Dapple falls in love with a horse that is pulling the actors' wagon.
9. What common object becomes the means of correspondence with the Captive Captain?
(a) A cane
(b) A bottle
(c) A teapot
(d) A pillowcase
10. What secret does Don Fernando confide to Cardenio?
(a) An affair with a farmer's daughter he promised to marry
(b) An illegitimate child by a farmer's daughter
(c) That some girl's father is trying to kill him.
(d) Many sexual experiences with poor girls in his village
11. How does Cervantes poke fun at his own mistakes in writing the first part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
(a) He discusses the absurdity of a man like Don Quixote.
(b) He talks about how the characters in his book are unbelievable.
(c) He discusses putting in so many unrelated stories in the book.
(d) He raises the question of the disappearing ass, Dapple, and its unexplained reappearance.
12. What do the curate and the barber try to avoid when they go to visit Quixote at home?
(a) Talking about Sancho Panza
(b) Asking about Dulcinea
(c) Talking about knight errantry
(d) Reminding Quixote about his knightly obligations
13. Why does Teresa fear for Sancho suddenly becoming rich?
(a) She says that he will get high ideas and divorce her.
(b) She says that he will have relatives coming to him that he never knew he had.
(c) She says that nobody looks at poor people but they stare at the rich.
(d) She says that he knows nothing about handling money and will lose it all.
14. Realizing their mistake, where do Don Quixote and Sancho Panza go to hide only to meet up again with Gines de Pasamonte who steals Sancho's ass?
(a) Back in La Mancha
(b) The inn where they stayed before
(c) The fulling mills
(d) The Sierra Morena mountains
15. What device does Cervantes use to introduce the comedic nature of Don Quixote?
(a) Talking animals
(b) A gypsy fortune teller
(c) A dream sequence
(d) Silly advice from a friend
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
2. Why does Zoraida attempt to correspond with the Captive Captain?
3. Why does Sancho Panza doubt that the enchanted demons are real?
4. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
5. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)