|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Marcela's argument that she is not responsible for the death of Chrysostom?
(a) She does not know how a nobleman can waste away for a shepherdess.
(b) She has warned Chrysostom to leave her alone and find another girl.
(c) She knows nothing of Chrysostom's fixation on her.
(d) Her beauty does not obligate her to love those who love her for it.
2. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) The barber and the priest
(b) The mischevious student Sampson
(c) His housekeeper and his niece
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
3. What stops the melee at the inn in the middle of the night?
(a) An officer of the Holy Brotherhood believes that Don Quixote is dead.
(b) The inn catches on fire.
(c) Don Quixote's bed falls through the floor into the room below.
(d) The police arrive and break up the fighting.
4. Where does Quixote send Sancho Panza on a mission?
(a) To find the half naked man
(b) To return to the inn he believes is an enchanted castle
(c) To buy provisions for a long camp out in the mountains
(d) To see the lady Dulcinea
5. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
(a) He is actually a woman.
(b) He is actually Sampson.
(c) He has not actually been knighted.
(d) He is another unreal enchantment.
6. What happens when Don Quixote, moved by Eugenio's tale, volunteers to rescue his love and restore her to him?
(a) Eugenio falls at his feet with tears in his eyes.
(b) They fight when Eugenio suggests that Don Quixote is out of his mind.
(c) Eugenio begs to go with Don Quixote to rescue Leandra.
(d) Eugenio says it is too late because Leandra is dead.
7. How does Cervantes plan to see that no further writing is done regarding Don Quixote de La Mancha?
(a) By getting a legal restraining order.
(b) By allowing only a select few people to see his work.
(c) By writing the rest of the books in code.
(d) By seeing him dead and buried at the end of Part Two.
8. What are four horsemen looking for at the inn?
(a) Sancho Panza who has not paid his taxes to the crown.
(b) Don Quixote who is wanted by the king.
(c) The Captive Captain who had a bounty on his head.
(d) Don Luis, the boy who is following Clara.
9. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
(a) He is one of the escaped criminals the king is looking for.
(b) He is a prince who has fallen in love with a commoner.
(c) He is the son of a wealthy man who is in love with the judge's daughter.
(d) He is a poor poy who is pining away for love of clara.
10. What secret does Sancho Panza overhear and tell to Don Quixote?
(a) That the curate tells the Princess Micomicona to find another champion.
(b) That the Princess Micomicona no longer has a kingdom.
(c) That the Princess Micomicona has fallen in love with Don Fernando.
(d) That Dorothea is not Princess Micomicona.
11. What happens when they meet a troupe of actors riding in a wagon?
(a) One actor plays a trick that causes Rozinante to throw Don Quixote.
(b) Don Quixote thinks they are the king and his court.
(c) Don Quixote thinks they are emmisaries from the Lady Dulcinea.
(d) Don Quixote asks them for money to support a knight errant.
12. Why does Sancho Panza doubt that the enchanted demons are real?
(a) He sees that they leave footprints when they walk.
(b) He does not believe in demons.
(c) He overhears them speaking in his native tongue.
(d) He touches them and they feel like human bodies.
13. What is Sancho's plan to deceive Don Quixote about the Lady Dulcinea?
(a) He says that the Lady Dulcinea's father has locked her away in a tower somewhere in the north.
(b) He tells Quixote that the Lady Dulcinea has left the village and gone to the inn to look for him.
(c) He tells Quixote that Dulcinea has been enchanted and will only be seen as a peasant girl.
(d) He says that the Lady Dulcinea is currently in a convent preparing for her marriage to Quixote.
14. Why does Sancho Panza continue to insist that Don Quixote is not enchanted?
(a) Because Quixote needs to relieve himself.
(b) Because Quixote understands that he is in a cage.
(c) Because Don Quixote complains of hunger.
(d) Because he heard the demons talking about stopping to eat.
15. Why is the canon so amazed at Don Quixote's speech?
(a) Because none of it makes any sense whatsoever.
(b) Because he can talk for such a long time without stopping.
(c) Because he is right about everything he says.
(d) Because he is so articulate and convincing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device is introduced in Chapter nine that helps move the story along and give it credence?
2. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
3. What happens when the barber shows up and recognizes the packsaddle and the basin he lost to Don Quixote?
4. How does Don Quixote believe he has been enchanted in the night as he guards the inn?
5. How does Don Quixote receive his knighthood?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)