|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
(a) Don Quixote offers a large reward for the mule.
(b) Don Quixote finds the mule in the castle stables.
(c) Gines de Pasamonte rides up disguised as a gypsy but Sancho Panza recognizes him.
(d) The mule has bucked off its captor and headed back to La Mancha.
2. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
(a) She gives them enough money to ransom themselves and buy a boat.
(b) Zoraida's father learns of her desire to go to a Christian country and helps them.
(c) They manage to rob the cruel Moor who is their master.
(d) They are freed in a raid by spanish troops.
3. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(b) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(c) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
(d) He is set upon to see if he has money.
4. How does Sancho trick Don Quixote into waiting until morning to investigate the clanking sound?
(a) He ties Rocinante's back legs together.
(b) He loosens Quixote's saddles so it falls off.
(c) He puts a sleeping powder into Don Quixote's wine.
(d) He points Rocinante in the wrong direction.
5. Who has dinner with Don Quixote after Sancho Panza goes home?
(a) The barber and the priest
(b) His housekeeper and his niece
(c) The mischevious student Sampson
(d) The mayor of La Mancha
6. What is the surprise after Don Quixote defeats the Knight of the Wood?
(a) He is actually Sampson.
(b) He is actually a woman.
(c) He has not actually been knighted.
(d) He is another unreal enchantment.
7. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
(a) A cruel murderess.
(b) The princess of El Toboso.
(c) The daughter of a wealthy man who begins acting as a shepherdess.
(d) The milkmaid who marries a king.
8. What makes Sancho Panza drop his demand for a salary?
(a) The curate promises to pay Sancho to go with him as a protection.
(b) Don Quixote seems ready to accept Sampson as his squire.
(c) He realizes that Don Quixote is penniless and cannot pay.
(d) He thinks about the isle he will one day reign over.
9. What does the imagery of the Golden Age represent to Don Quixote?
(a) The days when literature was at its peak.
(b) A time when there was money for everyone.
(c) A simpler, more peaceful time in the age of chivalry.
(d) The times when uses of metal were discovered.
10. As Dorothea tells her story, what does Cardenio suddenly realize?
(a) That he cannot remember Lucinda's face.
(b) That she can lead him to Lucinda.
(c) That she is the farmer's daughter Don Fernando promises to marry.
(d) That she is more beautiful than Lucinda.
11. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
(a) He pays him with enchanted money that Sancho cannot see.
(b) He turns it around and gets Sancho to pay him a monthly wage.
(c) He fires him and starts looking for a replacement.
(d) He says he never read anything like that in his books about knight errantry.
12. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
(a) The tale of Robin and Marian
(b) The tale of Lancelot and Guinevere
(c) The tale of Anselmo and Lothario
(d) The tale of two cities
13. These early adventures of Don Quixote establish what theme that runs throughout the novel?
(a) That he wins people over by his great imagination.
(b) That he is invincible when he wears his armor.
(c) That his meddling seldom has the resultsfor which he plans.
(d) That the age of chivalry is not dead.
14. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
(a) That she must marry a giant to regain her lost kingdom.
(b) That a knight errant will destroy her and take over her kingdom.
(c) That an evil mage has enchanted her kingdom and she cannot return.
(d) That she is the Princess Micomicona of the land of Micomicon whose kingdom has been taken over by a giant by the name of Pandafilando of the Malignant.
15. Found lying on the ground and severely wounded, where is Don Quixote taken by a neighbor?
(a) To the village where everyone can see him and make fun of him.
(b) To the local magistrate who will examine Don Quixote's mental ability.
(c) To his door just as the curate and barber arrive with his niece and housekeeper.
(d) To an inn where he thinks he is in a castle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
2. How does Don Quixote receive his knighthood?
3. What happens when Dapple is taken by the actors?
4. What is Cervantes' complaint in the prologue to the second part of The Adventures of Don Quixote?
5. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)