|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Sancho Panza overhear and tell to Don Quixote?
(a) That the Princess Micomicona has fallen in love with Don Fernando.
(b) That the Princess Micomicona no longer has a kingdom.
(c) That Dorothea is not Princess Micomicona.
(d) That the curate tells the Princess Micomicona to find another champion.
2. What happens when the barber shows up and recognizes the packsaddle and the basin he lost to Don Quixote?
(a) Don Quixote challenges the porr barber to a duel.
(b) Don Quixote is convinced the basin is a basin.
(c) Don Quixote insists that the basin is the helmet of Mambrino.
(d) Don Quixote pays the man for the helmet and the packsaddle.
3. What imaginative tale does Dorothea tell Don Quixote?
(a) That she must marry a giant to regain her lost kingdom.
(b) That she is the Princess Micomicona of the land of Micomicon whose kingdom has been taken over by a giant by the name of Pandafilando of the Malignant.
(c) That a knight errant will destroy her and take over her kingdom.
(d) That an evil mage has enchanted her kingdom and she cannot return.
4. Why does Lothario think Camilla is being unvirtuous?
(a) He thinks she is beginning to respond to him and the poems he writes for her.
(b) He hears that a number of men have been visiting her at home.
(c) He sees her maid's lover leaving the house early one morning.
(d) He notices that Camilla goes out every afternoon when Anselmo is away.
5. How does the protagonist slip into the fantasy world of Don Quixote de la Mancha?
(a) From the natural deteriorization of old age dementia
(b) From reading books and poems involving knights, chivalry,and adventure
(c) From listening to children's fairy tales
(d) From a blow to his head when he falls off his horse
6. Andres, the boy Don Quixote saves from a beating in his early adventures, shows up and tells Quixote never to help him again. Why?
(a) Now no one wants to hire him because they say he has a knight protecting him.
(b) Everyone laughs at him because he cannot defend himself.
(c) He doesn't want to be any further indebted to the knight errant.
(d) He is punished even worse after Don Quixote rides away.
7. Who are the surprise visitors to the group?
(a) The ghosts of two knights errant
(b) Dulcinea and her entourage
(c) A goat and its goatherd
(d) Some real demons
8. What is Don Quixote's explanation for the way the people at the inn toss Sancho into the air from a blanket?
(a) Sancho had it coming to him.
(b) The castle is enchanted.
(c) They had fun with Sancho because they could not do that to a knight errant.
(d) Sancho allowed it to happen so Don Quixote could escape.
9. Why is the canon so amazed at Don Quixote's speech?
(a) Because he is so articulate and convincing.
(b) Because he is right about everything he says.
(c) Because none of it makes any sense whatsoever.
(d) Because he can talk for such a long time without stopping.
10. What is the story within the story that is found at the inn?
(a) The tale of Anselmo and Lothario
(b) The tale of Lancelot and Guinevere
(c) The tale of two cities
(d) The tale of Robin and Marian
11. When Don Quixote and Sancho go into the village the next morning, what is their problem?
(a) Dulcinea is in the village selling wheat but they do not recognize her.
(b) The priest at the church thinks they are up to no good and refuses to tell them where to find Dulcinea.
(c) Neither of them has ever seen Dulcinea and they do not know where to find her.
(d) Dulcinea has traveled to Madrid to visit the Queen.
12. How do they manage to escape the Moorish land and take Zoraida with them?
(a) Zoraida's father learns of her desire to go to a Christian country and helps them.
(b) They manage to rob the cruel Moor who is their master.
(c) She gives them enough money to ransom themselves and buy a boat.
(d) They are freed in a raid by spanish troops.
13. Sancho thinks Quixote's captors are not demons at all. What is Quixote's response to that suggestion?
(a) He insists that they are demons and he and Sancho have been enchanted.
(b) He says that Sancho is so hungry he is hallucinating.
(c) He tells Sancho that they only appear to be flesh and blood.
(d) He agrees with Sancho but can do nothing.
14. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
(a) The pillows on his bed
(b) Pumpkins stacked in a corner
(c) Expensive wineskins filled with wine
(d) The inn's windmill
15. Why does Sancho Panza continue to insist that Don Quixote is not enchanted?
(a) Because Don Quixote complains of hunger.
(b) Because Quixote needs to relieve himself.
(c) Because Quixote understands that he is in a cage.
(d) Because he heard the demons talking about stopping to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
2. How do the niece and housekeeper rationalize the disappearance of Don Quixote's books?
3. How does Don Quixote interpret the penitents and their effigy of the Virgin?
4. How does Don Quixote get around paying a monthly wage to Sancho Panza?
5. In the goatherd's tale, who is Marcella?
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)