|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 48 | Part 1, Chapter 49 | Part 1, Chapter 50 | Part 1, Chapter 51.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony when Don Quixote speaks to a group of people?
(a) His speech is halting and not at all like that of a noble knight.
(b) He can only speak things he has read in a book.
(c) His speech is eloquent even though he suffers from madness.
(d) His speech sounds madder than his actions.
2. What is the gist of the goatherd's tale?
(a) Betrayal by a woman
(b) How Leandra became a shepardess.
(c) How his goat is the enchanted Leandra.
(d) Unrequited love for Leandra
3. What kind of reception does Don Quixote receive from the goatherds?
(a) The goatherds fear him because he is mad.
(b) The goarherds laugh at him and send him away.
(c) He is set upon to see if he has money.
(d) He is welcomed, fed, entertained and medicated.
4. What does the canon think about drama of his day?
(a) Plays are educational to those who cannot read books.
(b) Plays are a reflection of real life and teach valuable morals.
(c) The plays staged at his time are worthy of high praise.
(d) The plays that are staged nowadays are mirrors of absurdity, patterns of folly, and images of lewdness.
5. The niece, the housekeeper, the curate and the barber all agree on what as the cause of Don Quixote's madness?
(a) The cheap wine he has been drinking
(b) His extreme old age
(c) His poor diet
(d) His vast collection of books
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sancho Panza regain Dapple?
2. How do the curate and the barber plan to get Quixote to return with them to La Mancha?
3. In reality, what are the thirty or forty hulking giants Don Quixote attacks only to get seriously injured again?
4. What is the giant that Don Quixote attacks in his sleep?
5. What is the story of the mule driver with the beautiful voice?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)