• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Cruz, Angie. Dominicana. Flatiron Books, 2019. Hardcover.
• In Part 1, the novel takes place in the Dominican Republic in the 1960s.
• Ana Cancion remembers when she was 11 and the first time that Juan Ruiz proposed marriage to her.
• She lived with her family in a rural area.
• Juan and his brothers would come to the country to serenade girls who were eligible for marriage.
• They were not the only men to stop by and propose marriage to Ana and her older sister, Teresa.
• That night it was dark because there was a power outage.
• Power outages often lasted 15 hours at a time.
• Ever since Trujillo was shot in his own car after being El Jefe for 31 years, the family kept everything locked at all times.
• When the Ruiz brother rang Ana’s father’s bell, he...
This section contains 8,721 words
(approx. 30 pages at 300 words per page)