|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nora's reaction when Doctor Rank tells her his feelings?
2. What are Krogstad and Nora talking about, that both considered but neither had the courage for?
3. Why did Nora like talking to the maids when she lived at her father's house?
4. What excuse does Nora give Doctor Rank about who has arrived?
5. What happens while Nora is dancing?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the definition of marriage in the play.
1) What is Nora's idea of marriage? How does her idea of marriage change throughout the play, and what does she mean by the true wedlock she wishes for at the end of the play?
2) What is Mrs. Linde's idea of marriage? What did her former marriage mean to her, and how is it different from her proposed union with Krogstad?
3) What is Torvald's idea of marriage? How does he define his relationship with Nora?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)