|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Nora give the maid to keep Krogstad's visit secret?
2. What is Nora's reaction when Doctor Rank tells her his feelings?
3. What does Helmer find in the lock of the mailbox?
4. What simile does Torvald use to describe how he will protect Nora?
5. What does Nora initially tell Torvald is her reason for her wrongdoing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Torvald does not want to be seen as weak by others, and his pride often dictates his actions. Discuss Torvald's pride.
1) Discuss how Torvald's pride is at the root of his firing Krogstad. How is pride a factor in Torvald actually delivering the letter of dismissal against Nora's wishes?
2) How does Torvald's pride contribute to the way he treats his wife? How much does Torvald's pride contribute to Nora lying to him? How does it contribute to his reactions to Krogstad's letters?
3) How does Torvald's pride affect his attitude toward money and toward his job?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Nora and Torvald's systems of values.
1) What do Nora and Torvald value most? What are their priorities?
2) Why do Nora and Torvald each assume that the other has a similar system of values to their own?
3) Why have Nora and Torvald never discussed values and priorities?
This section contains 1,859 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)