|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sign tells Mrs. Linde that the Helmers will be returning soon?
2. What happens while Nora is dancing?
3. How long does Krogstad say it's been since he was involved in anything dishonorable?
4. What does Nora say Doctor Rank can pretend about her dancing?
5. What does Nora pretend was Rank's father's sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Torvald play on the piano?
2. What does Nora ask Doctor Rank to do for her, after the maid gives Nora the card?
3. How does Torvald respond to Nora's suggestion that she will soon be "out of the way"?
4. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
5. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
6. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
7. Why does Nora confess what's happened to Mrs. Linde?
8. Why can't Nora ask Doctor Rank for help, after he tells her his feelings?
9. How does Mrs. Linde respond to Krogstad's suggestion that she should give up her post at the bank for his benefit?
10. Describe Torvald's reaction to receiving the letter with the bond enclosed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)