|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Mrs. Linde give Krogstad for her coming to town?
2. What is Mrs. Linde doing while waiting for Krogstad?
3. What criticism does Torvald make of Nora's Tarantella dance at the party?
4. What does Nora tell Torvald about the cards from Doctor Rank?
5. What does Doctor Rank offer to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora ask Doctor Rank to do for her, after the maid gives Nora the card?
2. What does Krogstad want most?
3. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
4. After news of Doctor Rank's impending death, what does Torvald say that he often wishes?
5. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
6. What fantasy does Torvald say he has about his wife when he's bringing her home from a party?
7. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
8. How does Mrs. Linde respond to Krogstad's suggestion that she should give up her post at the bank for his benefit?
9. Why does Nora confess what's happened to Mrs. Linde?
10. Describe Torvald's reaction to receiving the letter with the bond enclosed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torvald does not want to be seen as weak by others, and his pride often dictates his actions. Discuss Torvald's pride.
1) Discuss how Torvald's pride is at the root of his firing Krogstad. How is pride a factor in Torvald actually delivering the letter of dismissal against Nora's wishes?
2) How does Torvald's pride contribute to the way he treats his wife? How much does Torvald's pride contribute to Nora lying to him? How does it contribute to his reactions to Krogstad's letters?
3) How does Torvald's pride affect his attitude toward money and toward his job?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)