|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nora like talking to the maids when she lived at her father's house?
2. What does Doctor Rank say he's gained from his "scientific investigation"?
3. What is Krogstad's initial reaction to the fact that the Helmers are at a dance?
4. While Tovald is reading the letters, what is Nora thinking of doing?
5. How much money does Krogstad say he will ask Torvald for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
2. After news of Doctor Rank's impending death, what does Torvald say that he often wishes?
3. How does Mrs. Linde respond to Krogstad's suggestion that she should give up her post at the bank for his benefit?
4. What does Krogstad want most?
5. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
6. Why does Nora confess what's happened to Mrs. Linde?
7. What fantasy does Torvald say he has about his wife when he's bringing her home from a party?
8. What is the significance of Nora calling for the lamp?
9. What is Nora's reaction when the maid hands her the card from whoever has arrived at the door?
10. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)