|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torvald say he did for Nora?
2. What does Mrs. Linde say she has faith in about Krogstad?
3. What does Nora do with the item of clothing "to punish" Doctor Rank?
4. How does Krogstad come to Nora's house, so that he's not seen?
5. What does Nora pretend was Rank's father's sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Torvald's reaction to receiving the letter with the bond enclosed.
2. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
3. Describe Rank's ideas of costumes for himself and Nora at the next fancy dress ball.
4. What does Nora tell Torvald she needs his help to do, in order to keep him distracted?
5. What does Torvald play on the piano?
6. After news of Doctor Rank's impending death, what does Torvald say that he often wishes?
7. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
8. How does Krogstad respond to Mrs. Linde's offer to be with him?
9. What fantasy does Torvald say he has about his wife when he's bringing her home from a party?
10. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of imposing ideas onto another person in the novel.
1) How does Torvald impose his own ideas onto Nora? Why does he do this? How successful is he at it?
2) How does a culture impose its ideas onto the people of the culture?
3) How do parents impose ideas and beliefs onto children? In what ways is this positive, and in what ways is it negative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)