|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Torvald use to describe how he will protect Nora?
2. Where does Mrs. Linde propose to go, after Nora tells her what's happened?
3. Where does Krogstad put the document he's brought?
4. How long does Krogstad say it's been since he was involved in anything dishonorable?
5. What does Nora pretend was Rank's father's sin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mrs. Linde's character.
1) Is Mrs. Linde truly a friend to Nora? Why does she tell Krogstad not to intercept his letter before Torvald can read it?
2) What has Mrs. Linde learned from her background? How is her view of life and marriage different from Nora's?
3) Compare Mrs. Linde's proposed relationship with Krogstad with Nora's relationship with Torvald.
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)