Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What simile does Torvald use to describe how he will protect Nora?
2. Where does Mrs. Linde propose to go, after Nora tells her what's happened?
3. Where does Krogstad put the document he's brought?
4. How long does Krogstad say it's been since he was involved in anything dishonorable?
5. What does Nora pretend was Rank's father's sin?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the author builds tension in the play.
1) How does the author use foreshadowing to hint at events to come in the play?
2) How do the lies and deceptions in the play contribute to its tension?
3) What is the audience afraid will happen in the play?
4) How does the author use Krogstad's letter in the letterbox to generate tension in the last act of the play, and what other devices does the author use in the play to create tension?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)