|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Krogstad's initial reaction to the fact that the Helmers are at a dance?
2. Why is Doctor Rank jealous of Mrs. Linde?
3. What are Doctor Rank's feelings towards Nora?
4. What does Krogstad think of Mrs. Linde?
5. What does Doctor Rank say he's gained from his "scientific investigation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Nora ask Doctor Rank for help, after he tells her his feelings?
2. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
3. What is Nora's reaction when the maid hands her the card from whoever has arrived at the door?
4. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
5. How does Krogstad respond to Mrs. Linde's offer to be with him?
6. What does Nora ask Doctor Rank to do for her, after the maid gives Nora the card?
7. Why does Nora confess what's happened to Mrs. Linde?
8. Describe Rank's ideas of costumes for himself and Nora at the next fancy dress ball.
9. How does Mrs. Linde respond to Krogstad's suggestion that she should give up her post at the bank for his benefit?
10. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Nora and Torvald's systems of values.
1) What do Nora and Torvald value most? What are their priorities?
2) Why do Nora and Torvald each assume that the other has a similar system of values to their own?
3) Why have Nora and Torvald never discussed values and priorities?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)