|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Linde want to meet Krogstad at Nora's house?
2. What does Doctor Rank say he's gained from his "scientific investigation"?
3. What sign tells Mrs. Linde that the Helmers will be returning soon?
4. What does Nora initially tell Torvald is her reason for her wrongdoing?
5. How much money does Krogstad say he will ask Torvald for?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of protecting women and sheltering them from life.
1) How does Torvald's idea of sheltering Nora contribute to her remaining child-like and ultimately believing that she must leave him?
2) How does Nora's lack of knowledge of the world lead her into her legal problems?
3) Are women in the play successfully sheltered from "unsavory" aspects of life? Examine both Nora and Mrs. Linde's experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
This section contains 1,785 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)