|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stops Torvald from coming into the room?
2. What does Nora say will happen when she's "out of the way"?
3. What does Mrs. Linde almost forget as she leaves?
4. What does Mrs. Linde say she has faith in about Krogstad?
5. How was Nora's dance received by the guests at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Torvald's reaction to receiving the letter with the bond enclosed.
2. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
3. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
4. What does Nora tell Torvald she needs his help to do, in order to keep him distracted?
5. Why does Nora confess what's happened to Mrs. Linde?
6. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
7. After news of Doctor Rank's impending death, what does Torvald say that he often wishes?
8. What is the significance of Nora calling for the lamp?
9. What fantasy does Torvald say he has about his wife when he's bringing her home from a party?
10. Describe Torvald's reaction to Nora's wrongdoing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mrs. Linde's character.
1) Is Mrs. Linde truly a friend to Nora? Why does she tell Krogstad not to intercept his letter before Torvald can read it?
2) What has Mrs. Linde learned from her background? How is her view of life and marriage different from Nora's?
3) Compare Mrs. Linde's proposed relationship with Krogstad with Nora's relationship with Torvald.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)