|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krogstad say he has in his pocket?
2. Why does Nora say she refuses to show him anything else?
3. What evidence does Doctor Rank believe supports his jealousy?
4. Does Nora want to come home from the dance after the Tarantella?
5. What simile does Torvald use to describe how he will protect Nora?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torvald respond to Nora's suggestion that she will soon be "out of the way"?
2. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
3. What is the significance of Nora calling for the lamp?
4. How does Mrs. Linde respond to Krogstad's suggestion that she should give up her post at the bank for his benefit?
5. What does Krogstad want most?
6. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
7. What fantasy does Torvald say he has about his wife when he's bringing her home from a party?
8. What comparison does Nora seem to be making between her father and Torvald?
9. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction when Krogstad offers to ask Torvald for his letter back?
10. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torvald does not want to be seen as weak by others, and his pride often dictates his actions. Discuss Torvald's pride.
1) Discuss how Torvald's pride is at the root of his firing Krogstad. How is pride a factor in Torvald actually delivering the letter of dismissal against Nora's wishes?
2) How does Torvald's pride contribute to the way he treats his wife? How much does Torvald's pride contribute to Nora lying to him? How does it contribute to his reactions to Krogstad's letters?
3) How does Torvald's pride affect his attitude toward money and toward his job?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)