|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rank say he will send Nora, when he knows he is about to die?
2. What excuse does Nora give Doctor Rank about who has arrived?
3. What does Krogstad compare himself to?
4. What does Torvald say about Mrs. Linde after she leaves?
5. What evidence does Doctor Rank believe supports his jealousy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Torvald's reaction to Nora's wrongdoing.
2. Why can't Nora ask Doctor Rank for help, after he tells her his feelings?
3. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction when Krogstad offers to ask Torvald for his letter back?
4. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
5. What does Nora ask Doctor Rank to do for her, after the maid gives Nora the card?
6. What does Krogstad want most?
7. Describe Torvald's reaction to receiving the letter with the bond enclosed.
8. Describe Rank's ideas of costumes for himself and Nora at the next fancy dress ball.
9. What is the significance of Nora calling for the lamp?
10. What does Nora tell Torvald she needs his help to do, in order to keep him distracted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of protecting women and sheltering them from life.
1) How does Torvald's idea of sheltering Nora contribute to her remaining child-like and ultimately believing that she must leave him?
2) How does Nora's lack of knowledge of the world lead her into her legal problems?
3) Are women in the play successfully sheltered from "unsavory" aspects of life? Examine both Nora and Mrs. Linde's experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)