|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora initially tell Torvald is her reason for her wrongdoing?
2. What does Torvald say he did for Nora?
3. What does Krogstad say he will do with the bond?
4. Why did Nora like talking to the maids when she lived at her father's house?
5. What does Nora put on herself, when Torvald goes in to read the letters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality in the novel, and the relationship of law and morality.
1) Torvald considers himself a moral man. What is his morality based on? How does Torvald define his own morality?
2) Nora believes that she knows what is right and wrong. What is her morality based on? How does her morality conflict with both law and Torvald's morality during the play? How does Nora define her own morality?
3) Krogstad says that he is trying to reform himself, but the method he uses is through blackmail. Discuss Krogstad's moral and ethical code. How does the morality of the society affect Krogstad?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
This section contains 1,816 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)