|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora say, when Torvald asks if she knows what's in the letter?
2. Who does Krogstad intend to tell about the bond?
3. What does Doctor Rank want from Helmer?
4. What is Mrs. Linde doing while waiting for Krogstad?
5. What does Krogstad compare himself to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
2. What does Torvald play on the piano?
3. What comparison does Nora seem to be making between her father and Torvald?
4. How does Torvald respond to Nora's suggestion that she will soon be "out of the way"?
5. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
6. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
7. After news of Doctor Rank's impending death, what does Torvald say that he often wishes?
8. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
9. Describe Rank's ideas of costumes for himself and Nora at the next fancy dress ball.
10. Why can't Nora ask Doctor Rank for help, after he tells her his feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)