|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora say Doctor Rank can pretend about her dancing?
2. What does Torvald do with the bond when he receives it?
3. What does Mrs. Linde tell Nora to do?
4. Where does Mrs. Linde propose to go, after Nora tells her what's happened?
5. How does Nora answer, when Torvald asks if she understands what she has done?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
2. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
3. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
4. What comparison does Nora seem to be making between her father and Torvald?
5. Describe Torvald's reaction to Nora's wrongdoing.
6. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
7. Describe Torvald's reaction to receiving the letter with the bond enclosed.
8. What does Nora ask Doctor Rank to do for her, after the maid gives Nora the card?
9. What does Krogstad want most?
10. Why does Nora confess what's happened to Mrs. Linde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and metaphor used in the play.
1) Discuss the title of the play and the metaphor of Nora as a doll.
2) Discuss the symbolism of the Christmas tree.
3) Discuss the symbolism of Nora's costume and the tarantella that she dances at the party.
4) Expand your discussion to include other symbols and metaphors throughout the play.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)