|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Torvald's real reason for wanting to fire Krogstad?
2. What led Krogstad into questionable businesses?
3. How does Torvald try to cheer up Nora?
4. What does the nurse say is wrong with the costumes?
5. Is Torvald expecting Doctor Rand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
2. What distracts Nora from decorating the Christmas tree?
3. Does Nora realize the seriousness of faking a signature?
4. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
5. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
6. What is Nora's reaction to seeing Mrs. Linde?
7. How does Nora introduce her request for Torvald to let Krogstad keep his post at the bank?
8. What is Krogstad's response when Nora tells him she can't help him?
9. What is Nora's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
10. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)