|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Torvald out of his study?
2. Why does Krogstad want his job at the bank?
3. How does Torvald say he felt when Nora was busy for three weeks?
4. How does Torvald describe Nora's spending?
5. What inconsistency did Mrs. Linde notice in what Doctor Rank said?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
2. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
3. Why doesn't Nora talk to Torvald about her old friends?
4. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
5. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
6. What is Nora's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
7. What distracts Nora from decorating the Christmas tree?
8. What does Torvald say an atmosphere of lies does?
9. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
10. What is Torvald's reaction when Nora says she is leaving?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author builds tension in the play.
1) How does the author use foreshadowing to hint at events to come in the play?
2) How do the lies and deceptions in the play contribute to its tension?
3) What is the audience afraid will happen in the play?
4) How does the author use Krogstad's letter in the letterbox to generate tension in the last act of the play, and what other devices does the author use in the play to create tension?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mrs. Linde's character.
1) Is Mrs. Linde truly a friend to Nora? Why does she tell Krogstad not to intercept his letter before Torvald can read it?
2) What has Mrs. Linde learned from her background? How is her view of life and marriage different from Nora's?
3) Compare Mrs. Linde's proposed relationship with Krogstad with Nora's relationship with Torvald.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and metaphor used in the play.
1) Discuss the title of the play and the metaphor of Nora as a doll.
2) Discuss the symbolism of the Christmas tree.
3) Discuss the symbolism of Nora's costume and the tarantella that she dances at the party.
4) Expand your discussion to include other symbols and metaphors throughout the play.
This section contains 2,198 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)