|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Torvald carrying when he exits the study?
2. What is Nora's relationship with her children's nurse?
3. How does Torvald describe Nora's spending?
4. How does Nora say Mrs. Linde looks?
5. What happened to the nurse's own daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distracts Nora from decorating the Christmas tree?
2. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
3. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
4. What does Mrs. Linde hope Nora can do for her?
5. What is Nora's attitude toward Torvald's rules?
6. Why does Nora say she wants to tear the fancy-dress costumes into a hundred thousand pieces?
7. Why does Torvald say that his wife asking him to keeps Krogstad means he could never do it?
8. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
9. Why is Torvald looking forward to the Christmas dinner?
10. What is the significance of Nora mentioning the first of the month to Krogstad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torvald does not want to be seen as weak by others, and his pride often dictates his actions. Discuss Torvald's pride.
1) Discuss how Torvald's pride is at the root of his firing Krogstad. How is pride a factor in Torvald actually delivering the letter of dismissal against Nora's wishes?
2) How does Torvald's pride contribute to the way he treats his wife? How much does Torvald's pride contribute to Nora lying to him? How does it contribute to his reactions to Krogstad's letters?
3) How does Torvald's pride affect his attitude toward money and toward his job?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of protecting women and sheltering them from life.
1) How does Torvald's idea of sheltering Nora contribute to her remaining child-like and ultimately believing that she must leave him?
2) How does Nora's lack of knowledge of the world lead her into her legal problems?
3) Are women in the play successfully sheltered from "unsavory" aspects of life? Examine both Nora and Mrs. Linde's experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)