|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Nora recognize Mrs. Linde?
2. How did Mrs. Linde travel to the area?
3. Where does Torvald believe Nora got Christmas presents the last year?
4. What does Nora tell her children about the "stranger man"?
5. What made Torvald ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nora's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
2. Does Nora realize the seriousness of faking a signature?
3. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
4. Why doesn't Nora talk to Torvald about her old friends?
5. Why does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde that her father didn't give her the money for the trip that saved Torvald's life?
6. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
7. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
8. What distracts Nora from decorating the Christmas tree?
9. What is Torvald's response when Nora asks whether it's nice of her to obey her husband's wishes?
10. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mrs. Linde's character.
1) Is Mrs. Linde truly a friend to Nora? Why does she tell Krogstad not to intercept his letter before Torvald can read it?
2) What has Mrs. Linde learned from her background? How is her view of life and marriage different from Nora's?
3) Compare Mrs. Linde's proposed relationship with Krogstad with Nora's relationship with Torvald.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the author builds tension in the play.
1) How does the author use foreshadowing to hint at events to come in the play?
2) How do the lies and deceptions in the play contribute to its tension?
3) What is the audience afraid will happen in the play?
4) How does the author use Krogstad's letter in the letterbox to generate tension in the last act of the play, and what other devices does the author use in the play to create tension?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)