Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torvald give to the maid after his conversation with Nora about Krogstad?
2. Where did Nora and Torvald travel to cure Torvald's illness?
3. What made Torvald ill?
4. Why did Torvald leave his office when he married Nora?
5. What brings Torvald out of his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
2. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
3. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
4. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
5. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
6. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
7. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
8. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
9. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
10. What comparison does Nora seem to be making between her father and Torvald?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of man's ownership of his wife in the novel.
1) In what ways does Torvald indicate that he feels he owns Nora? Why does Torvald feel this way?
2) How does Nora respond to Torvald assuming that he owns her and control her? How does her response change at the end of the play, and why?
3) What societal critique does the play make about men who feel they own their wives, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Krogstad's character.
1) How is Krogstad similar to Nora, and how is he different from her?
2) To what extent is Krogstad a villain? Are Krogstad's actions forgivable?
3) Compare Nora's view of Krogstad to Mrs. Linde's view of Krogstad. Why does Mrs. Linde still want a life with Krogstad, after what he's done?
This section contains 2,159 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)