Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torvald give to the maid after his conversation with Nora about Krogstad?
2. Where did Nora and Torvald travel to cure Torvald's illness?
3. What made Torvald ill?
4. Why did Torvald leave his office when he married Nora?
5. What brings Torvald out of his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
2. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
3. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
4. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
5. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
6. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
7. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
8. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
9. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
10. What comparison does Nora seem to be making between her father and Torvald?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Nora and Torvald's systems of values.
1) What do Nora and Torvald value most? What are their priorities?
2) Why do Nora and Torvald each assume that the other has a similar system of values to their own?
3) Why have Nora and Torvald never discussed values and priorities?
This section contains 2,159 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)