Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torvald give to the maid after his conversation with Nora about Krogstad?
2. Where did Nora and Torvald travel to cure Torvald's illness?
3. What made Torvald ill?
4. Why did Torvald leave his office when he married Nora?
5. What brings Torvald out of his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
2. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
3. Describe Torvald's reaction to the news of Doctor Rank's impending death.
4. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
5. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
6. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
7. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
8. Why does Krogstad say it would be useless for Nora to kill herself?
9. Describe how Nora dances the Tarantella and Torvald's reaction.
10. What comparison does Nora seem to be making between her father and Torvald?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Krogstad's character.
1) How is Krogstad similar to Nora, and how is he different from her?
2) To what extent is Krogstad a villain? Are Krogstad's actions forgivable?
3) Compare Nora's view of Krogstad to Mrs. Linde's view of Krogstad. Why does Mrs. Linde still want a life with Krogstad, after what he's done?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)