|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torvald believe happened to last year's presents?
2. What does Krogstad ask Nora about Mrs. Linde?
3. What reason does Nora give for wanting Krogstad to keep his job?
4. How long were they gone?
5. Why does Mrs. Linde come by Nora's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Linde hope Nora can do for her?
2. What does Torvald say an atmosphere of lies does?
3. What example does Torvald give Nora, to try and show her why borrowing is bad?
4. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
5. Why does Nora say she wants to tear the fancy-dress costumes into a hundred thousand pieces?
6. What was Nora's attitude toward Krogstad when she first borrowed money from him?
7. Why did Nora fake her father's signature?
8. What is Nora's reaction to seeing Mrs. Linde?
9. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
10. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)