|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Torvald describe Nora's spending?
2. Why does Mrs. Linde come by Nora's house?
3. How long has Krogstad known Torvald?
4. How long ago did Mrs. Linde's husband die?
5. Where does Nora send her children so she can talk to Krogstad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Torvald ask Nora to name a "reasonable" present?
2. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
3. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
4. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
5. Where is Torvald when Nora comes home, and what is its significance?
6. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
7. What is Nora's attitude towards the law?
8. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
9. What does Mrs. Linde hope Nora can do for her?
10. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the idea of protecting women and sheltering them from life.
1) How does Torvald's idea of sheltering Nora contribute to her remaining child-like and ultimately believing that she must leave him?
2) How does Nora's lack of knowledge of the world lead her into her legal problems?
3) Are women in the play successfully sheltered from "unsavory" aspects of life? Examine both Nora and Mrs. Linde's experiences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of imposing ideas onto another person in the novel.
1) How does Torvald impose his own ideas onto Nora? Why does he do this? How successful is he at it?
2) How does a culture impose its ideas onto the people of the culture?
3) How do parents impose ideas and beliefs onto children? In what ways is this positive, and in what ways is it negative?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)