|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nurse say is wrong with the costumes?
2. What is Nora's attitude toward the porter who helps her with her purchases?
3. What is Torvald's attitude toward borrowing money?
4. What idea does Mrs. Linde inadvertently put into Nora's head?
5. Why does Krogstad want his job at the bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
2. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
3. What was Nora's attitude toward Krogstad when she first borrowed money from him?
4. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
5. What is Nora's attitude towards the law?
6. Why does Nora say she wants to tear the fancy-dress costumes into a hundred thousand pieces?
7. What does Torvald say an atmosphere of lies does?
8. What is the significance of Nora mentioning the first of the month to Krogstad?
9. Why is Torvald looking forward to the Christmas dinner?
10. What example does Torvald give Nora, to try and show her why borrowing is bad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
Essay Topic 2
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)