|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Mrs. Linde had to support?
2. How does Krogstad re-enter the house unnoticed by Nora?
3. How does Torvald describe Nora's spending?
4. Why does Nora think they can spend more money?
5. Why does Krogstad want his job at the bank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
2. What is Torvald's reaction when Nora says she is leaving?
3. How does Nora introduce her request for Torvald to let Krogstad keep his post at the bank?
4. What does Torvald want Nora to do, to "hush up' the incident?
5. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
6. Why does Torvald ask Nora to name a "reasonable" present?
7. What does Mrs. Linde hope Nora can do for her?
8. Describe Rank's ideas of costumes for himself and Nora at the next fancy dress ball.
9. How does Nora see Torvald as similar to her father?
10. Why does Torvald say that his wife asking him to keeps Krogstad means he could never do it?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of parents' influence on children in the play.
1) How was Nora influenced by her father? Was his influence a good or bad one? Why is Nora so often compared to her father?
2) Why is Torvald concerned about Krogstad's children? Why does he threaten to take the children away from Nora's influence?
3) What are Nora's beliefs about parents' influence on children at the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism and metaphor used in the play.
1) Discuss the title of the play and the metaphor of Nora as a doll.
2) Discuss the symbolism of the Christmas tree.
3) Discuss the symbolism of Nora's costume and the tarantella that she dances at the party.
4) Expand your discussion to include other symbols and metaphors throughout the play.
This section contains 2,238 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)