|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora want Mrs. Linde's help with?
2. Where did Nora and Torvald travel to cure Torvald's illness?
3. What reason does Nora give for wanting Krogstad to keep his job?
4. Why doesn't the nurse want Nora to go out?
5. Who else was supposed to sign the document?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nora tell Torvald she needs his help to do, in order to keep him distracted?
2. How does Nora introduce her request for Torvald to let Krogstad keep his post at the bank?
3. What is the significance of Nora mentioning the first of the month to Krogstad?
4. How does Krogstad respond to Mrs. Linde's offer to be with him?
5. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
6. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
7. Why does Mrs. Linde think Torvald might still be ill?
8. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction when Krogstad offers to ask Torvald for his letter back?
9. What excuse does Nora make, so she doesn't have to explain the favor she wanted?
10. What is Torvald's reaction when Nora says she is leaving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
This section contains 2,245 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)