|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Torvald say he felt when Nora was busy for three weeks?
2. Did Nora write to Mrs. Linde when her husband died?
3. What is the first thing Nora points out about the things she's bought?
4. Why doesn't the nurse want Nora to go out?
5. What job has Torvald just accepted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
2. What does Torvald say an atmosphere of lies does?
3. What does Mrs. Linde hope Nora can do for her?
4. Why does Nora say she wants to tear the fancy-dress costumes into a hundred thousand pieces?
5. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
6. What is Nora's attitude toward Torvald's rules?
7. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
8. Why does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde that her father didn't give her the money for the trip that saved Torvald's life?
9. Why is Torvald looking forward to the Christmas dinner?
10. Why does Torvald ask Nora to name a "reasonable" present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality in the novel, and the relationship of law and morality.
1) Torvald considers himself a moral man. What is his morality based on? How does Torvald define his own morality?
2) Nora believes that she knows what is right and wrong. What is her morality based on? How does her morality conflict with both law and Torvald's morality during the play? How does Nora define her own morality?
3) Krogstad says that he is trying to reform himself, but the method he uses is through blackmail. Discuss Krogstad's moral and ethical code. How does the morality of the society affect Krogstad?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters' naming of each other in the play.
1) How do the nicknames Torvald uses for Nora show his feelings and attitude towards her? How do they reveal his character?
2) How are the characters' ideas for costumes for themselves and others a kind of naming, or assignment of identity? What does Torvald's choice of costume for Nora say about his feelings and attitudes towards her? What do Doctor Rank's choices of costumes for Nora and himself in the future say about his feelings and attitudes?
3) What other names and identities do the characters assign themselves and others, and what significance do they have?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of imposing ideas onto another person in the novel.
1) How does Torvald impose his own ideas onto Nora? Why does he do this? How successful is he at it?
2) How does a culture impose its ideas onto the people of the culture?
3) How do parents impose ideas and beliefs onto children? In what ways is this positive, and in what ways is it negative?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)