|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora do when Krogstad confronts her about the fake signature?
2. What does Torvald like about his new job?
3. How does Nora check if her husband is in?
4. What is Nora's attitude toward the porter who helps her with her purchases?
5. How does Torvald describe Nora's spending?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
2. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
3. What is Nora's attitude towards the law?
4. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
5. What example does Torvald give Nora, to try and show her why borrowing is bad?
6. Does Nora realize the seriousness of faking a signature?
7. What is the significance of Nora mentioning the first of the month to Krogstad?
8. Why did Nora fake her father's signature?
9. Why does Mrs. Linde think Torvald might still be ill?
10. What is Nora's reaction to seeing Mrs. Linde?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Krogstad's character.
1) How is Krogstad similar to Nora, and how is he different from her?
2) To what extent is Krogstad a villain? Are Krogstad's actions forgivable?
3) Compare Nora's view of Krogstad to Mrs. Linde's view of Krogstad. Why does Mrs. Linde still want a life with Krogstad, after what he's done?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)