|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Linde say her husband left her monetarily?
2. What does Nora do when Krogstad confronts her about the fake signature?
3. How often does Doctor Rank visit?
4. How does Nora check if her husband is in?
5. How many children does Nora have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Nora mentioning the first of the month to Krogstad?
2. Describe Torvald's reaction to Nora's wrongdoing.
3. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction when Krogstad offers to ask Torvald for his letter back?
4. What is Krogstad's response when Nora tells him she can't help him?
5. Why is Torvald looking forward to the Christmas dinner?
6. How does Torvald respond to Nora's suggestion that she will soon be "out of the way"?
7. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
8. Why does Helmer say he prefers embroidery to knitting?
9. Describe Rank's ideas of costumes for himself and Nora at the next fancy dress ball.
10. What does Krogstad want most?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss religion in the play.
1) At the end of the play, Nora says that she does not know what religion is. How does her disillusionment with Torvald translate into a disillusionment with religion?
2) How are society and religion interlinked? Why is religion mentioned at the end of the play, but hardly mentioned at all during the rest of the play?
3) What is the relationship between religion and the characters' perception of morality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the self-awareness of the characters.
1) Nora says that she thought she loved Torvald, but she did not. She also says that she thought she knew who Torvald was, but she did not. Why was Nora deceived about her own knowledge and feelings? How much is Nora aware of the true nature of her marriage throughout the play?
2) How much is Torvald aware of his own reasons for making decisions and his own morality? Why does he have a severe reaction to Krogstad's letter, and then explain it away as a fit of anger? What aspects of his own character does Torvald understand or not understand?
This section contains 2,194 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)