|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torvald say to tell any callers?
2. Who else was supposed to sign the document?
3. What is Torvald's attitude toward borrowing money?
4. What led Krogstad into questionable businesses?
5. What is Nora's attitude toward the porter who helps her with her purchases?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distracts Nora from decorating the Christmas tree?
2. Why does Nora say she wants to tear the fancy-dress costumes into a hundred thousand pieces?
3. Why is Torvald looking forward to the Christmas dinner?
4. What was Nora's attitude toward Krogstad when she first borrowed money from him?
5. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
6. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
7. Why does Mrs. Linde think Torvald might still be ill?
8. Why did Nora fake her father's signature?
9. What is Nora's reaction to seeing Mrs. Linde?
10. What does Doctor Rank say about Krogstad's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of protecting women and sheltering them from life.
1) How does Torvald's idea of sheltering Nora contribute to her remaining child-like and ultimately believing that she must leave him?
2) How does Nora's lack of knowledge of the world lead her into her legal problems?
3) Are women in the play successfully sheltered from "unsavory" aspects of life? Examine both Nora and Mrs. Linde's experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of money to the characters in the play.
1) Why is money important to Nora? What does money mean to her? Why does she want money, and how does she feel about it? Where does money fit in Nora's hierarchy of priorities?
2) What does money mean to Torvald? Why is he happy to have his new job? In what ways does he expect money to improve his life? Where does money fit in Torvald's hierarchy of priorities?
3) How do Nora and Torvald view borrowing, and why?
4) How does Mrs. Linde view money, and why does she marry her first husband for financial reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Krogstad's character.
1) How is Krogstad similar to Nora, and how is he different from her?
2) To what extent is Krogstad a villain? Are Krogstad's actions forgivable?
3) Compare Nora's view of Krogstad to Mrs. Linde's view of Krogstad. Why does Mrs. Linde still want a life with Krogstad, after what he's done?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)