|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nora ask for at first, when Torvald asks what he should get her?
2. What is Torvald's attitude toward borrowing money?
3. What does Nora threaten to throw Krogstad out of the house for?
4. What is Nora going to the costume ball as?
5. How are the children feeling on Christmas Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Nora realize the seriousness of faking a signature?
2. What does Torvald say an atmosphere of lies does?
3. Why is Torvald looking forward to the Christmas dinner?
4. What is Nora's attitude towards the law?
5. What is Krogstad's response when Nora tells him she can't help him?
6. Why does Torvald say that his wife asking him to keeps Krogstad means he could never do it?
7. How does Mrs. Linde feel, now that no one's depending on her financially anymore?
8. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
9. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
10. How does Nora introduce her request for Torvald to let Krogstad keep his post at the bank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the play's treatment of lies and deception.
1) Nora lies to Torvald about macaroons, about working to pay off a loan, and about borrowing money without his consent. How does Nora view her own deception? Why does she lie?
2) How does Torvald view lying? How does he react to Nora's lies when he discovers them? How does he react to Krogstad's deceitful behavior?
3) How do the characters lie to and deceive themselves? Is the atmosphere of deceit in the Helmer household unhealthy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nora's decision to leave Torvald.
1) Why does Nora consider Torvald a stranger when she leaves him? Why does she feel she can't learn what she needs to learn and stay in Torvald's house?
2) Why is Nora willing to leave her children?
3) In what ways is Nora's action in leaving Torvald selfless, and in what ways is it selfish? Is it the right decision?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)