|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krogstad ask Nora to do for him?
2. Why doesn't the nurse want Nora to go out?
3. What does Krogstad compare falsifying the signature to?
4. What does Nora ask the maid to bring to her after Krogstad has left?
5. How long were they gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nora's attitude toward Torvald's rules?
2. What is the significance of Nora mentioning the first of the month to Krogstad?
3. Why does Mrs. Linde think Torvald might still be ill?
4. Why does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde that her father didn't give her the money for the trip that saved Torvald's life?
5. What is Torvald's response when Nora asks whether it's nice of her to obey her husband's wishes?
6. What was Nora's attitude toward Krogstad when she first borrowed money from him?
7. Why doesn't Nora talk to Torvald about her old friends?
8. Why does Torvald say that his wife asking him to keeps Krogstad means he could never do it?
9. What distracts Nora from decorating the Christmas tree?
10. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the idea of protecting women and sheltering them from life.
1) How does Torvald's idea of sheltering Nora contribute to her remaining child-like and ultimately believing that she must leave him?
2) How does Nora's lack of knowledge of the world lead her into her legal problems?
3) Are women in the play successfully sheltered from "unsavory" aspects of life? Examine both Nora and Mrs. Linde's experiences.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality in the novel, and the relationship of law and morality.
1) Torvald considers himself a moral man. What is his morality based on? How does Torvald define his own morality?
2) Nora believes that she knows what is right and wrong. What is her morality based on? How does her morality conflict with both law and Torvald's morality during the play? How does Nora define her own morality?
3) Krogstad says that he is trying to reform himself, but the method he uses is through blackmail. Discuss Krogstad's moral and ethical code. How does the morality of the society affect Krogstad?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Nora and Torvald's systems of values.
1) What do Nora and Torvald value most? What are their priorities?
2) Why do Nora and Torvald each assume that the other has a similar system of values to their own?
3) Why have Nora and Torvald never discussed values and priorities?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)