|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Nora, what will having "heaps and heaps of money" mean?
2. How did Mrs. Linde travel to the area?
3. What did Nora sign to get the loan from Krogstad?
4. What does Nora try to do after Krogstad leaves?
5. How often does Doctor Rank visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nora introduce her request for Torvald to let Krogstad keep his post at the bank?
2. What is Nora's reaction to Torvald's example?
3. Why does Mrs. Linde think Torvald might still be ill?
4. What is Mrs. Linde's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
5. What do Torvald's pet names for Nora say about his attitude towards her?
6. How does Torvald react to Nora saying his reason for firing Krogstad is narrow-minded?
7. Why does Torvald ask Nora to name a "reasonable" present?
8. Why is Torvald reluctant to give Nora money for Christmas?
9. What is Nora's reaction to Krogstad's entrance?
10. Does Nora realize the seriousness of faking a signature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, the characters are often self-interested and even self-absorbed. Discuss selfishness in the play.
1) In what ways is Nora self-centered and self-absorbed? How does she view other people's problems? How does she view her own problems and priorities?
2) In what ways is Torvald self-centered and self-absorbed? How does he respond to Krogstad's letter when he thinks it will ruin him? Who is he most concerned about and why? Why does he feel the need to impose his own views on his wife?
3) In what ways are other characters, like Doctor Rank, Mrs. Linde, and Krogstad, self-centered? How does self-interest shape society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss propriety and social rules in the play.
1) How do the characters discuss Doctor Rank's syphilis? Why do they use euphemisms and not talk directly about the subject?
2) How are the social rules in the play different for men and women?
3) How does Torvald feel about being socially proper, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mrs. Linde's character.
1) Is Mrs. Linde truly a friend to Nora? Why does she tell Krogstad not to intercept his letter before Torvald can read it?
2) What has Mrs. Linde learned from her background? How is her view of life and marriage different from Nora's?
3) Compare Mrs. Linde's proposed relationship with Krogstad with Nora's relationship with Torvald.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)