|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Torvald leave his office when he married Nora?
(a) Nora hated his job and wanted him to leave it.
(b) Torvald objected to the way the firm was run.
(c) Torvald wanted more free time.
(d) Torvald needed the possibility of advancement.
2. How long has Krogstad known Torvald?
(a) since their student days
(b) for six months
(c) since Torvald became involved in the bank
(d) for a year and a half
3. Why does Mrs. Linde come by Nora's house?
(a) Mrs. Linde wanted to ask Nora about Krogstad.
(b) Mrs. Linde was concerned that Nora might be unwell.
(c) Nora had come by Mrs. Linde's home asking for her.
(d) Mrs. Linde wanted to thank Nora for helping her get a job.
4. Why does Nora say she is sending Mrs. Linde away when Torvald comes back?
(a) Since Mrs. Linde will be an employee, it's inappropriate for her to be there.
(b) Torvald will be jealous she's spending time with Mrs. Linde.
(c) Torvald has taken a dislike to Mrs. Linde.
(d) Torvald hates to see dressmaking.
5. What game does Nora play with her children?
(a) king of the hill
(b) blind man's bluff
(c) ring around the rosie
(d) hide and seek
6. When Nora first comes home, what does she ask her maid Helen to hide?
(a) a Christmas tree
(b) a gift for Torvald
(c) her macaroons
(d) gifts for the children
7. Why does Nora believe what she did was not a crime?
(a) Krogstad is a criminal.
(b) No one can prove the signature was forged.
(c) Her father died soon after, anyway.
(d) Her motive was to save her husband's life.
8. Why didn't Torvald make money at his previous profession?
(a) He was too upstanding.
(b) He made bad investments.
(c) He would not spend money on advertising.
(d) He didn't spend enough time on his work.
9. What does Torvald believe happened to last year's presents?
(a) The dog chewed them up.
(b) The roof leaked on them.
(c) The cat tore them up.
(d) Emmy knocked them into the fire.
10. How does Nora say Mrs. Linde looks?
(a) younger but sadder
(b) plumper and darker
(c) thinner and paler
(d) more tired but happier
11. How does Krogstad know the second signature is faked?
(a) The signature is clearly Nora's handwriting.
(b) The signature is dated three days after Nora's father's death.
(c) Nora wouldn't have had time to get the document signed.
(d) The signature is in the wrong kind of ink.
12. Is Torvald expecting Doctor Rand?
(a) No, but Torvald goes to meet with him immediately.
(b) Yes, Doctor Rand goes directly to the study to meet with him.
(c) Yes, but Doctor Rand is early and waits in the hall for him.
(d) No, Torvald is surprised and doesn't want to see him.
13. What does Nora do when Krogstad confronts her about the fake signature?
(a) She confesses that she faked the signature.
(b) She laughs and tells him that he's wrong.
(c) She is ambiguous whether it's true, maintaining that the accusation can't be proved.
(d) She makes up a story to explain what Krogstad thinks is wrong.
14. What happened to the nurse's own daughter?
(a) The nurse's daughter died during childbirth.
(b) The nurse's daughter was raised by its grandparents.
(c) The nurse gave her daughter up for adoption.
(d) The nurse's daughter died during childhood.
15. What does Nora try to do after Krogstad leaves?
(a) She tries to read a book.
(b) She tries to work on needlework.
(c) She tries to fix a vase.
(d) She tries to clean the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nora initially tell Mrs. Linde she got the money for the trip?
2. What reason does Nora give for wanting Krogstad to keep his job?
3. What does Nora ask the maid to bring to her after Krogstad has left?
4. Why does Torvald not want to spend money?
5. What job has Torvald just accepted?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)