|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the train do to Cassie?
2. What makes the family turn into full production of making the dolls using the jigsaw in chapter 32?
3. Whose kids' Christmas presents does Gertie allow to be hid in her house?
4. What does Clovis say he needs before he can meet with Cassie's teacher?
5. Which of the following terms best describes Gertie in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Clovis at work one night?
2. Describe what happens when Sophronie answers the door when she is drunk.
3. Describe Gertie's days during chapters 20 - 23.
4. How does Clovis attempt to make Gertie feel better after Cassie's death?
5. Why does Mrs. Daly suddenly stop the argument with Gertie?
6. What does Gertie believe will be necessary in order for her to take Cassie's body home to the housing development?
7. Describe in detail Cassie's final moments in Gertie's arms.
8. With what are Gertie's thoughts and dreams filled?
9. Describe the scene Gertie witnessed between the Daly and Meanwell children.
10. Why does Clovis say they cannot return to Kentucky as Gertie wishes after Cassie is killed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing Gertie's realization at the end of the novel. Explain how this realization could change the future for Gertie and her family. Relate her realization to your own life in your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the relationship between Gertie and her husband. Be sure to describe how the relationship changes throughout the novel in specific details.
Essay Topic 3
Write an in-depth character analysis of Gertie. Be sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)