|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which organization does Clovis belong?
2. What does Maggie want to teach Gertie in order for her to fix her wooden statue?
3. On what does Clovis compliment Gertie?
4. Which character's children had his or her tonsils out and were watched afterward by Gertie?
5. What does Victor want Gertie to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene Gertie witnessed between the Daly and Meanwell children.
2. What does Reuben's note say at the end of chapter 23?
3. Describe what happens when Sophronie answers the door when she is drunk.
4. Why can't Gertie get to Cassie before the train hits her?
5. Describe an event which shows how tempers are short during the heat wave.
6. Why does Gertie rush down to interfere with Reuben and Mr. Daly after the fight?
7. How does Clovis attempt to make Gertie feel better after Cassie's death?
8. What happens when Gertie is overwhelmed by the children's constant arguing?
9. When Gertie helps Mrs. Anderson by watching her children, one runs away. While Gertie is searching for him, what does she pass that reminds her of Cassie?
10. What does Gertie believe will be necessary in order for her to take Cassie's body home to the housing development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how the author has used foreshadowing throughout this novel. Use specific examples from the novel to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay supporting the idea that Max's escape from Victor is a reflection of Gertie's dream of Tipton Place. Use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how the author used narrative anchors as a writing strategy throughout this novel. Use specific examples from the text as part of your description.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)