|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Max called unAmerican by one of the neighbors?
2. What does Enoch say about the dolls which upsets and bothers Gertie?
3. To which organization does Clovis belong?
4. With what do the Meanwell and Daly children play?
5. About what topic does Mr. Daly continue to argue with the residents of the complex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the snowball fight between Gertie's children and the Dalys' children?
2. What does Reuben's note say at the end of chapter 23?
3. Why can't Gertie get to Cassie before the train hits her?
4. Why does Mrs. Daly suddenly stop the argument with Gertie?
5. Where does Gertie see the man she thinks attacked Clovis?
6. With what are Gertie's thoughts and dreams filled?
7. Describe what happens when Sophronie answers the door when she is drunk.
8. On what does Clovis blame that exhausts all of Gertie's savings to pay for Cassie's funeral?
9. What is Clovis complaining about after he comes home from a very bad day at work?
10. Describe Gertie's days during chapters 20 - 23.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Imagine that this novel had to be divided into just two portions. Where would you divide the book and why? Use specific examples from the novel to support your rationale.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the challenges that Gertie has faced throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text as part of your description.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how the ending of the book might have been different had Cassie not been killed by the train. Use events in the text as a guide for your writing of what might have happened.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)