|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terrifies Cassie about the new home in Detroit?
2. How much does Gertie offer to pay the officer for the ride?
3. At the beginning of chapter nine, what is Gertie doing as she reflects on how long it has been since Henley left and then was killed?
4. Why does Gertie's mother say Gertie betrayed Clovis?
5. What does Gertie enjoy imagining?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gertie decide to take Cassie with her to her parent's house?
2. What is evident that both Clovis and Gertie share?
3. Why had Gertie been saving money for years?
4. What does Gertie learn as she reads the letter from Clovis?
5. What happens to ruin Gertie's dream of owning Tipton Place?
6. Who else, besides Amos, has the doctor treated that Gertie knows?
7. What happens right before Clovis leaves for his physical?
8. Describe Gertie's neighbor Sophronie Meanwell.
9. Gertie gets physically sick on the train. What happens after she is ill?
10. Why do you think Gertie wants to avoid her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how the author used mini climaxes to keep the reader engaged. Evaluate this as a writing tool using specific examples from the novel to support your evaluation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the dark side of Gertie's dreams for independence. Use examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how the ending of the book might have been different had Cassie not been killed by the train. Use events in the text as a guide for your writing of what might have happened.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)