|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is now a prisoner of war?
2. What does Gertie carve for Cassie on the walk to her parent's house?
3. How do Gertie and the children travel?
4. What does Henley leave to Gertie in his will?
5. What is the main character's life-long dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbol is used to demonstrate the differences between Gertie and Clovis in chapter five?
2. What happens when Gertie finds out Henley wants to give her all the money he had been saving for his own farm?
3. Who else, besides Amos, has the doctor treated that Gertie knows?
4. What is evident that both Clovis and Gertie share?
5. What does the doctor immediately realize that Amos has?
6. Why does Gertie decide to take Cassie with her to her parent's house?
7. Why doesn't Gertie tell her husband that she performed the surgery?
8. After the teachers tell Gertie not to worry about her children because they will adjust, what does Gertie wonder?
9. What happens right before Clovis leaves for his physical?
10. Why does the boy that Gertie and Cassie meet on the way to school tell Gertie she should not tell lies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between Gertie and her neighbors throughout the novel and how they progressed. Be sure to use specific examples from the text to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the relationship between Gertie and her husband. Be sure to describe how the relationship changes throughout the novel in specific details.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the dynamics within Gertie's family including her parents. Use specific examples from the text to support your conclusions on the family dynamics.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)