|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Gertie go out to start the truck?
2. Who does Gertie leave Amos with while she takes the kids to school for the first day?
3. How much money did Gertie inherit?
4. Which word best describes how Gertie feels about affection attempts from her husband?
5. On what did Gertie spend Henley's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Clovis tell Gertie she will have regular money?
2. What does Reuben hope to see in Gertie as she talks to her mother about her dreams?
3. Describe Gertie's neighbor Sophronie Meanwell.
4. Why does the boy that Gertie and Cassie meet on the way to school tell Gertie she should not tell lies?
5. What happens to ruin Gertie's dream of owning Tipton Place?
6. What does Gertie learn as she reads the letter from Clovis?
7. While Gertie is digging for potatoes, what good news does she receive?
8. What symbol is used to demonstrate the differences between Gertie and Clovis in chapter five?
9. What joke does Gertie make with Cassie as they pass by the Tipton family house?
10. What happens right before Clovis leaves for his physical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on how the book might have been different had Henley not left Gertie the money. Use events from the story but indicate how they would be different.
Essay Topic 2
Write an in-depth character analysis of Gertie. Be sure to use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the dynamics within Gertie's family including her parents. Use specific examples from the text to support your conclusions on the family dynamics.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)