|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maggie want to teach Gertie in order for her to fix her wooden statue?
(a) How to use the stove better
(b) How to knit
(c) How to do the laundry
(d) Where to shop for bargains
2. What does Clovis say he needs before he can meet with Cassie's teacher?
(a) A day off of work
(b) New shoes
(c) A new white shirt
(d) A new suit
3. To which organization does Clovis belong?
(d) Funeral directors
4. Which of her children does Gertie cling to after the loss of Cassie?
5. Which of the following characters does Gertie find out leads a double life?
(b) Mrs. Daly
(c) Mrs. Bales
(d) Mrs. Anderson
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Daly accuse Gertie of doing as she tries to take her child back in the house after the fight?
2. What kind of scheme does Clovis blame for using Gertie's savings?
3. Which of the following characters wins the lottery?
4. Who leaves the complex in chapter 31?
5. Which of the following terms best describes Reuben as the new school term begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gertie is overwhelmed by the children's constant arguing?
2. When Gertie helps Mrs. Anderson by watching her children, one runs away. While Gertie is searching for him, what does she pass that reminds her of Cassie?
3. What does Reuben's note say at the end of chapter 23?
4. With what are Gertie's thoughts and dreams filled?
5. What is Clovis complaining about after he comes home from a very bad day at work?
6. What happens to Clovis at work one night?
7. Why does Gertie rush down to interfere with Reuben and Mr. Daly after the fight?
8. Why can't Gertie get to Cassie before the train hits her?
9. Describe in detail Cassie's final moments in Gertie's arms.
10. What does Gertie believe will be necessary in order for her to take Cassie's body home to the housing development?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)