|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Max ask for when he comes to Gertie?
(a) Lottery ticket
(b) A new husband
(c) A dream
(d) A place to stay
2. What causes tension within the apartment complex?
(a) Labor relations
(b) Constant fights among the children
(c) The carving business
(d) Marital discord
3. Whose kids' Christmas presents does Gertie allow to be hid in her house?
(d) No one's
4. Why does Cassie decide to wear her coat inside?
(a) She has a note from her teacher
(b) She wears it because her imaginary friend told her to
(c) She is cold and there is no heat
(d) She is afraid of Clovis
5. Which of Gertie's children is involved in the fight with the Daly children which Gertie witnesses?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what Max tells Gertie, who controls Max's life and tells her how to live?
2. Which of the following does not interrupt Gertie's dream?
3. Which of the following characters wins the lottery?
4. Which of the following seems to be the most logical reason as to why Gertie would agree to accept money for chores when it would upset Clovis?
5. What does Maggie leave to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what does Clovis blame that exhausts all of Gertie's savings to pay for Cassie's funeral?
2. Describe Gertie's days during chapters 20 - 23.
3. Why can't Gertie get to Cassie before the train hits her?
4. Describe an event which shows how tempers are short during the heat wave.
5. Why doesn't Gertie continue to carve the block of cherry wood?
6. Describe an incident of irony regarding Clovis and Gertie and Tipton Place.
7. What does Reuben's note say at the end of chapter 23?
8. Why does Gertie rush down to interfere with Reuben and Mr. Daly after the fight?
9. What does Gertie believe will be necessary in order for her to take Cassie's body home to the housing development?
10. Where does Gertie see the man she thinks attacked Clovis?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)