|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes how injured Clovis is when he is beaten?
2. What does Clovis make for Gertie?
(b) Tombstone for Cassie
(c) Washing machine
3. Which of the following bothers Gertie more and more every day?
(a) Clovis's scars
(b) Telling lies
(c) Mr. Daly's preaching about the Catholics
(d) Labor relations
4. What happens to the union leader who wants to go on strike?
(b) Beaten Up
(c) Moved out of the country
5. On what does Clovis compliment Gertie?
(a) Ability to care for the children
(b) Ability to cook
(c) Ability to carve
(d) Ability to save
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clovis say he needs before he can meet with Cassie's teacher?
2. Why is Gertie unable to work on the cherry block of wood?
3. Which child's conference at school went worst?
4. What does Maggie want to teach Gertie in order for her to fix her wooden statue?
5. Whom does Gertie think beats up Clovis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clovis say they cannot return to Kentucky as Gertie wishes after Cassie is killed?
2. Why can't Gertie get to Cassie before the train hits her?
3. On what does Clovis blame that exhausts all of Gertie's savings to pay for Cassie's funeral?
4. When Gertie helps Mrs. Anderson by watching her children, one runs away. While Gertie is searching for him, what does she pass that reminds her of Cassie?
5. What happens to Clovis at work one night?
6. What does Reuben's note say at the end of chapter 23?
7. Describe in detail Cassie's final moments in Gertie's arms.
8. With what are Gertie's thoughts and dreams filled?
9. When Gertie tells Clovis that her mother said that she should not buy Tipton Place, what does Clovis say which surprises Gertie?
10. Describe the scene Gertie witnessed between the Daly and Meanwell children.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)