|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words does NOT describe how Clovis feels after he is beaten?
2. What happens to the union leader who wants to go on strike?
(b) Beaten Up
(c) Moved out of the country
3. Which of Gertie's children is involved in the fight with the Daly children which Gertie witnesses?
4. What gift had Gertie taken to the Dalys to give to Maggie?
(a) Hand-carved bird
(b) Block of cherry wood
(d) Head of an infant
5. Which child's conference at school went worst?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes tension within the apartment complex?
2. Which of the following terms best describes Reuben as the new school term begins?
3. According to what Max tells Gertie, who controls Max's life and tells her how to live?
4. Why does Cassie decide to wear her coat inside?
5. Into what interest has Clytie become absorbed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Gertie see the man she thinks attacked Clovis?
2. Describe an event which shows how tempers are short during the heat wave.
3. What does Reuben's note say at the end of chapter 23?
4. What happens when Gertie is overwhelmed by the children's constant arguing?
5. What happens during the snowball fight between Gertie's children and the Dalys' children?
6. Why does Clovis say they cannot return to Kentucky as Gertie wishes after Cassie is killed?
7. Describe in detail Cassie's final moments in Gertie's arms.
8. Describe the scene Gertie witnessed between the Daly and Meanwell children.
9. Why can't Gertie get to Cassie before the train hits her?
10. Why does Sophronie ask Gertie to watch her children after they had their tonsils out?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)