|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what was Gertie's mother thankful to Gertie?
(a) Helping her father in the workshop
(b) Helping to cook the meal for the preacher
(c) Visiting on Sundays
(d) Hard work on the farm as a girl
2. What does Gertie say she will use to whip the children?
(b) Shaving strop
3. Why does Gertie direct the mule into the path of the car?
(a) To try to kill herself
(b) To make them stop to help
(c) She could not control the mule
(d) To make the car crash
4. How long has Clovis been gone at the beginning of chapter six?
(a) One week
(b) One month
(c) One day
(d) One year
5. At the beginning of chapter five, why does Gertie awaken early?
(a) Noises outside
(b) The kids wake her up
(c) Clovis wakes her up
(d) A dream about Henley
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Gertie ask Joe?
2. Why does Gertie vomit?
3. Why does Gertie's mother say Gertie betrayed Clovis?
4. Which of the children has a similar dream to Gertie's of living on a farm?
5. What does Max tell Gertie she needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the boy that Gertie and Cassie meet on the way to school tell Gertie she should not tell lies?
2. What symbol is used to demonstrate the differences between Gertie and Clovis in chapter five?
3. Who else, besides Amos, has the doctor treated that Gertie knows?
4. Why doesn't Gertie tell her husband that she performed the surgery?
5. What is Joe's response when Gertie asks him how long it took him to like his new life?
6. Why had Gertie been saving money for years?
7. How much change does the officer give to Gertie for the ride into town?
8. What does the doctor immediately realize that Amos has?
9. What happens to ruin Gertie's dream of owning Tipton Place?
10. What effect does Gertie's rejection of Clovis' kiss have?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)