|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the children has a similar dream to Gertie's of living on a farm?
2. Which of the following is not something Gertie's mother talks about in the sitting room with Gertie?
(a) Ill health
(b) How proud she is of Gertie
(c) Faith in the Bible
(d) Disappointment in Gertie
3. Where does Clovis want to take the children to go visiting?
(a) Gertie's parents
(b) To visit Amos in the clinic
(c) Clovis' parents
(d) The neighbor's home
4. How did Gertie learn to read?
(a) The Bible
(c) She cannot read
5. Which word best describes the officer's feelings for Gertie before she preformed the medical procedure on Amos?
Short Answer Questions
1. On what topic does Mrs. Bales' argue with more than one person about?
2. Which word best describes how Gertie feels about affection attempts from her husband?
3. What frightens Cassie while they are at Gertie's parent's house?
4. What makes everyone stop talking and wait?
5. How was Gertie's brother killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Reuben hope to see in Gertie as she talks to her mother about her dreams?
2. Why had Gertie been saving money for years?
3. While Gertie is digging for potatoes, what good news does she receive?
4. Gertie gets physically sick on the train. What happens after she is ill?
5. What happens when Gertie finds out Henley wants to give her all the money he had been saving for his own farm?
6. What does Gertie think about the idea that Clovis would be working in one of the factories?
7. How much change does the officer give to Gertie for the ride into town?
8. What does Reuben say when Gertie tells him of her hope to have their own farm?
9. Why does Gertie decide to take Cassie with her to her parent's house?
10. Why doesn't Gertie tell her husband that she performed the surgery?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)