|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Clytie think Clovis has gone?
(a) To work in a factory
(b) Just to get his physical
(c) To war
(d) Left home
2. What does Mrs. Bales say she sees in the block of cherry wood?
(c) A woman
3. How did Clovis pay for most of the items in the Detroit house?
(a) He didn't pay for them, he stole them
4. Whom is Clovis jealous of?
(d) Gertie's father
5. At the beginning of chapter nine, what is Gertie doing as she reflects on how long it has been since Henley left and then was killed?
(a) Making the beds
(b) Churning butter
(c) Sipping her coffee
(d) Feeding the dogs
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gertie and the children move?
2. Why are many of the women waiting in town?
3. Where does Gertie move?
4. Which of the following characters is now a prisoner of war?
5. Why does Gertie vomit?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Gertie is digging for potatoes, what good news does she receive?
2. After the teachers tell Gertie not to worry about her children because they will adjust, what does Gertie wonder?
3. How does the author let the reader know that the car is something the townspeople fear?
4. What does Reuben hope to see in Gertie as she talks to her mother about her dreams?
5. Why had Gertie been saving money for years?
6. What happens to the children as Gertie's mother describes the possible life in Detroit?
7. Why does the boy that Gertie and Cassie meet on the way to school tell Gertie she should not tell lies?
8. Who else, besides Amos, has the doctor treated that Gertie knows?
9. What effect does Gertie's rejection of Clovis' kiss have?
10. Why does Gertie decide to take Cassie with her to her parent's house?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)