|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henley leave to Gertie in his will?
(a) All his money
(b) His favorite pocket knife
(c) His copy of the Bible
2. What does Gertie dream of carving?
(a) A man
(b) A cradle
(c) A cane
(d) A wooden cane
3. What does Max tell Gertie she needs?
(a) A home
(b) Something to dream of
4. What does Mrs. Bales say she sees in the block of cherry wood?
(b) A woman
5. Why does Gertie direct the mule into the path of the car?
(a) She could not control the mule
(b) To try to kill herself
(c) To make the car crash
(d) To make them stop to help
Short Answer Questions
1. From what type of wood does she want to use to carve the man?
2. How long has Clovis been gone at the beginning of chapter six?
3. Where does Gertie's mother say Henley is?
4. How do Gertie and the children travel?
5. Which of the children could be described using the term prissy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much change does the officer give to Gertie for the ride into town?
2. What happens to the children as Gertie's mother describes the possible life in Detroit?
3. Why does Gertie decide to take Cassie with her to her parent's house?
4. Why had Gertie been saving money for years?
5. What happens when Gertie finds out Henley wants to give her all the money he had been saving for his own farm?
6. What is evident that both Clovis and Gertie share?
7. Gertie gets physically sick on the train. What happens after she is ill?
8. What does Reuben hope to see in Gertie as she talks to her mother about her dreams?
9. What new information is learned about Max's relationship with her husband?
10. Describe Gertie's neighbor Sophronie Meanwell.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)