|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is last to get back on the boat after it overturns in Chapter 11?
2. What term refers to the part of a boat that you steer with?
3. What is the name of the cemetery where Poppy claims Eleanor's grave is located?
4. What does Zach say to Alice to make her feel better in the end of Chapter 12?
5. What establishment does Zach call from the library in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prior sailing experience does Zach have when he pirates the boat? How does he employ this experience?
2. What conflict emerges between Poppy, Zach, and Alice in Chapter 10? What threats are made?
3. How does the experience of sailing influence the mindsets of Alice, Zach, and Poppy in Chapter 11?
4. Why does Zach feel responsible for the troubles that he, Alice, and Poppy are facing in Chapter 12?
5. What confession does Zach make to Alice and Poppy in Chapter 16? How do they respond?
6. How do Zach, Alice, and Poppy escape the room they are held in at the library in Chapter 15?
7. How is the boat described that Zach pirates in Chapter 10?
8. What does Zach’s father say when he speaks to Zach on the phone in Chapter 14?
9. What is peculiar about the way the Queen is perceived by minor characters in the novel?
10. What do Alice, Zach, and Poppy do at the library in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of magic and superstition in the novel. What are examples of symbolism and imagery used to support these themes? What do these concepts mean to Zach in the beginning of the story? What do they mean at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of secrets in the novel. Who has secrets and what leads to the revelations of these secrets? What role do secrets play in driving the plot of the story forward? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
How did Zach, Alice, and Poppy meet? For how long have they been friends? When and how did their imaginary game develop?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)