|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Poppy believe that Eleanor died after her dream in Chapter 9?
2. What are the last words that Zach's father says to him on the phone in Chapter 14?
3. Whose job is to prepare Eleanor's body for burial in Chapter 16?
4. What term refers to the part of a boat that you steer with?
5. What kind of tree is carved on the Kerchner family headstone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict breaks out between Alice and Poppy in Chapter 11? What happens as a result of the conflict?
2. Where does the librarian hold Alice, Poppy, and Zach while calling their parents?
3. How do Alice, Poppy, and Zach enter the library in Chapter 13?
4. How is the librarian described in Chapter 14? What is her response when she discovers the children in the library?
5. How is the theme of hope illustrated in the ending of Doll Bones?
6. How does Alice respond when she sees the campsite in Chapter 9?
7. What secret of Alice’s is revealed by Poppy in Chapter 12? How does Zach respond?
8. How does the experience of sailing influence the mindsets of Alice, Zach, and Poppy in Chapter 11?
9. What causes the boat to capsize in Chapter 11? How is it righted?
10. What prior sailing experience does Zach have when he pirates the boat? How does he employ this experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Zach's father throw away Zach's action figures? How does Zach respond? What is symbolized through this action in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How did Zach, Alice, and Poppy meet? For how long have they been friends? When and how did their imaginary game develop?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of secrets in the novel. Who has secrets and what leads to the revelations of these secrets? What role do secrets play in driving the plot of the story forward? What symbolism supports this theme?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)