|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Eleanor's aunt chase her with in Zach's and Poppy's dreams?
2. What does the librarian offer Zach, Alice, and Poppy to eat in the break room in Chapter 14?
3. What river are Zach, Alice, and Poppy on after they've pirated the sailboat in Chapter 11?
4. Where do Alice, Zach, and Poppy go to eat breakfast in Chapter 9?
5. Poppy says in Chapter 14, "I hate that everyone calls it growing up, but it seems like" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Alice reveal of Zach’s in Chapter 12? Why?
2. What conflict emerges between Poppy, Zach, and Alice in Chapter 10? What threats are made?
3. How does Alice respond when she sees the campsite in Chapter 9?
4. What causes the boat to capsize in Chapter 11? How is it righted?
5. What does Alice discover in Zach’s backpack in Chapter 9? How does Zach react?
6. Where does the librarian hold Alice, Poppy, and Zach while calling their parents?
7. What does Zach discover from the plaque on the china display in Chapter 15?
8. How is the theme of hope illustrated in the ending of Doll Bones?
9. Why does Zach feel responsible for the troubles that he, Alice, and Poppy are facing in Chapter 12?
10. How have Zach’s perceptions of the quest changed in Chapter 9? Why have they changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Zach with his imaginary persona of William the Blade. How are William and Zach different? What actions does William take in the story? How does William the Blade reflect Zach's inner personality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character arc of Zach in the novel. How does Zach's character change in the course of the story? What aspects of the quest impact these changes the most? How have Zach's relationships evolved by the end of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
How do Alice, Poppy, and Zach become trapped in the library? What are the repercussions of their entrapment? How do they escape?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)