|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zach describe their imaginary worlds after the Queen is gone in Chapter 16?
2. What are the last words that Zach's father says to him on the phone in Chapter 14?
3. How did Eleanor Kerchner's father die?
4. What kind of tree is carved on the Kerchner family headstone?
5. What is the back end of a boat called?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the librarian hold Alice, Poppy, and Zach while calling their parents?
2. What is Alice’s response when she learns of Zach’s dream in Chapter 12?
3. What do Alice, Zach, and Poppy do at the library in Chapter 13?
4. How do Zach, Alice, and Poppy escape the room they are held in at the library in Chapter 15?
5. What does Zach dream about in Chapter 13?
6. What does Alice discover in Zach’s backpack in Chapter 9? How does Zach react?
7. Why does Zach feel responsible for the troubles that he, Alice, and Poppy are facing in Chapter 12?
8. How is the librarian described in Chapter 14? What is her response when she discovers the children in the library?
9. How have Zach’s perceptions of the quest changed in Chapter 9? Why have they changed?
10. What secret of Alice’s is revealed by Poppy in Chapter 12? How does Zach respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Tinshoe Jones in the novel. Where do Zach, Alice, and Poppy meet Tinshoe Jones? What information does he relate to the children? How do they respond to this information?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character arc of Zach in the novel. How does Zach's character change in the course of the story? What aspects of the quest impact these changes the most? How have Zach's relationships evolved by the end of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Heroism and adventure are central themes in Doll Bones. How would you describe the “tragic flaw” of each of the main characters: Zach, Alice, and Poppy? How would you compare the flaws of these characters to those of mythological heroes alluded to in the narrative?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)