|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor's aunt claim children are in the dream Zach has in Chapter 8?
2. How many bus stops away from East Liverpool have the children gotten off the bus in Chapter 7?
3. What does Poppy's mother dream of doing with the Queen one day?
4. What is the name of Alice's aunt that tried gaining custody of Alice when she was younger?
5. How do Poppy and Alice escape from the bus station in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Leo described? How do Zach, Alice, and Poppy know Leo?
2. What superstition does Poppy describe when the children pass the graveyard in Chapter 3?
3. What has happened to Zach’s action figures in Chapter 2?
4. How does Poppy describe Eleanor Kerchner’s relationship to the Queen?
5. How do Alice and Poppy awaken Zach in Chapter 5?
6. Where do Zach, Alice, and Poppy get off the bus in Chapter 6? What do they do after departing the bus?
7. Where do Alice, Zach, and Poppy decide to spend the night in Chapter 7?
8. What is related in Alice’s note to Zach in Chapter 4? How does Zach respond?
9. How is the character of William the Blade described in Chapter 1?
10. What is Zach’s greatest conflict as he walks home from school in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the imagery in Zach's dreams about Eleanor Kerchner in the novel. What are some of the symbolic images he sees in the dreams? What do they symbolize? How does he respond to the dreams?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the completion of Zach, Alice, and Poppy's quest. What actions do they commit in order to lift the curse and end the quest? Where is the quest completed? What is implied for the future in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character arc of Zach in the novel. How does Zach's character change in the course of the story? What aspects of the quest impact these changes the most? How have Zach's relationships evolved by the end of the narrative?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)