|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Zach say he's gone in the note he leaves his parents when he goes to meet Alice and Poppy in Chapter 5?
2. What does Eleanor draw faces on to make dolls that she hides under her bed in Zach's dream in Chapter 8?
3. Who does Alice ask Poppy to call and come pick them up in Chapter 7?
4. What excuse does Zach give the coach for not attending practice in Chapter 3?
5. In what city did the character of Lady Jaye grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Zach, Alice, and Poppy first meet, according to the flashback in Chapter 8?
2. What is Zach’s greatest conflict as he walks home from school in Chapter 3?
3. How is Zach’s father’s history in the family described in Chapter 2? When did Zach’s father leave?
4. What does Zach discover when he awakens at the campsite in Chapter 8?
5. What proof does Poppy offer of her story in Chapter 5?
6. How would you describe the narrative perspective of Doll Bones?
7. What game are Zach, Alice, and Poppy playing in Chapter 1? How is the game described?
8. What is related in Alice’s note to Zach in Chapter 4? How does Zach respond?
9. How do Alice and Poppy awaken Zach in Chapter 5?
10. How does Zach justify going on the quest with Alice and Poppy in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Zach's perceptions of adventures and quests versus the realities he faces on his own in the novel. How does Zach compare his discomforts to those of heroes in books? Do you think Zach's assessments are valid? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the completion of Zach, Alice, and Poppy's quest. What actions do they commit in order to lift the curse and end the quest? Where is the quest completed? What is implied for the future in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Alice, Poppy, and Zach decide to go to East Liverpool in the middle of the night? What leads each character to this decision? What reservations does each character face as they depart?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)