|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the black cat that Zach's family owns?
2. Who tells Poppy she has a creepy smile in Chapter 3?
3. What book was Zach reading when Poppy first met him?
4. How is the town that Zach, Alice, and Poppy described in Chapter 3?
5. How long after the death of Eleanor's mother did Eleanor's aunt move in to care for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What proof does Poppy offer of her story in Chapter 5?
2. How is the character of Leo described? How do Zach, Alice, and Poppy know Leo?
3. What has happened to Zach’s action figures in Chapter 2?
4. What is Zach’s greatest conflict as he walks home from school in Chapter 3?
5. Where do Zach, Alice, and Poppy get off the bus in Chapter 6? What do they do after departing the bus?
6. What is related in Alice’s note to Zach in Chapter 4? How does Zach respond?
7. What are the “Questions” that Poppy passes to Zach at school in Chapter 2? How does he respond?
8. How is Zach’s father’s history in the family described in Chapter 2? When did Zach’s father leave?
9. Where do Alice, Zach, and Poppy decide to spend the night in Chapter 7?
10. How does Zach react when Poppy brings up the game in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What inner conflicts does Alice face regarding the ghost of Eleanor being real? How does she cope with these conflicts? What does Zach tell Alice when he learns of her struggles?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of secrets in the novel. Who has secrets and what leads to the revelations of these secrets? What role do secrets play in driving the plot of the story forward? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Where do Alice, Poppy, and Zach depart the bus on their way to East Liverpool? Why? How far are they from their destination? How do they intend to reach their destination?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)