|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is enclosed in the bag inside of the doll, according to Poppy in Chapter 5?
2. What does Eleanor's aunt claim children are in the dream Zach has in Chapter 8?
3. What ship does William the Blade captain?
4. Who is Alice's English teacher at school?
5. How long ago did Zach's father move back in with Zach and his mom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zach’s father say to him at dinner in Chapter 4? How does Zach respond?
2. What superstition does Poppy describe when the children pass the graveyard in Chapter 3?
3. What supplies does Zach gather to take on his journey in Chapter 5?
4. What are the “Questions” that Poppy passes to Zach at school in Chapter 2? How does he respond?
5. How would you describe Zach’s mindset as he walks to school in Chapter 3?
6. What game are Zach, Alice, and Poppy playing in Chapter 1? How is the game described?
7. How does Zach react when Poppy brings up the game in Chapter 7?
8. Where do Zach, Alice, and Poppy get off the bus in Chapter 6? What do they do after departing the bus?
9. Why is the emergence of William the Blade significant in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Poppy offer to take out the Queen in Chapter 4? What repercussions does she risk in doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heroism and adventure are central themes in Doll Bones. How would you describe the “tragic flaw” of each of the main characters: Zach, Alice, and Poppy? How would you compare the flaws of these characters to those of mythological heroes alluded to in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character arc of Zach in the novel. How does Zach's character change in the course of the story? What aspects of the quest impact these changes the most? How have Zach's relationships evolved by the end of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Zach with his imaginary persona of William the Blade. How are William and Zach different? What actions does William take in the story? How does William the Blade reflect Zach's inner personality?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)