• Chapter 1 introduces the three main characters in the novel, Zachary Barlow, Poppy Bell, and Alice Magnaye, all children on the verge of adolescence.
• Poppy, Alice and Zachary play a game of imagination and creation involving pirates, thieves, a great queen and a pirate ship, each operating a character on her deck.
• In their imaginary world, Alice portrays a thief named Lady Jaye and Zachary portrays a pirate called William the Blade; Poppy is best at playing the villains.
• The leader of the children’s imaginary world is called the Great Queen, which in reality is a porcelain doll that is confined in a cabinet in Poppy's house along with other things that Poppy has been forbidden to touch.
• The themes of imagination, encroaching puberty, and expression are introduced and explored in this chapter.
• In Chapter 2, Zachary returns home from school to discover that his father has...
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)