|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Russel sees a family living in a village in what part of the territory?
2. What emotion is expressed by the man after the animal dies?
3. Which of the following animals attack the corpses of the woman and children?
4. Russel and the dogs are heading in which direction?
5. How many days do Russel and the woman stay in the shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Russel discover when he wakes from his first dream? What is his next step?
2. Russel watches his dream-self leave on a hunt. What does Russel see? What is his reaction?
3. Russel finds a person lying in the snow. The person is unconscious. Who is the person and what has happened?
4. Russel's dream continues. What is the next thing he sees?
5. Russel realizes something about the man - his future dream-self - and how he gets his strength. What does Russel realize?
6. What is the purpose of the scene with the woolly mammoth? What does it represent?
7. What does Russel notice about the dogs? What does he do?
8. What is the man's state of mind at this point? What does the man do next?
9. Who is the pregnant woman? What is her story? What happens with the baby?
10. Who is the man in the shelter? What does the man do when he leaves the shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russel began to take charge when he decided that the camp needed to be created and all things organized. Why was this an important step? How did Russel begin to change at this time? How does the building of a camp change the situation? Did Nancy have any part in this change? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Russel's dream about the woolly mammoth was insightful and prophetic, but only after Russel figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Do you think the dream was cryptic? Why didn't Russel's dream-self recognize the younger Russel?
Essay Topic 3
Russel sees himself as an older man in a strange situation. Explain the situation. How does each version of Russel deal with the situation? How does the young Russel react to the older Russel's decisions and actions? How is the young Russel affected by the wife and children?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)