|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Russel think about frequently during this time?
2. Russel finds a woman on the ground. Russel is concerned because the woman is ______.
3. Russel sees a family living in a village in what part of the territory?
4. Russel begins to imagine that he sees ___ on the dogs' feet.
5. Russel has another dream in which children play with which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Russel notice about the dogs? What does he do?
2. What does Russel discover when he wakes from his first dream? What is his next step?
3. Explain the man's dance during the celebration in the village.
4. What is the purpose of the scene with the woolly mammoth? What does it represent?
5. Russel realizes something about the man - his future dream-self - and how he gets his strength. What does Russel realize?
6. What does the man do after killing the mammoth? What is Russel's reaction?
7. What does Russel do when a violent storm sets in?
8. Russel falls into a dream state. What does Russel see first?
9. Who is the man in the shelter? What does the man do when he leaves the shelter?
10. What is the animal encountered by Russel's dream-self? What happens when the man attacks the mammoth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a complete description of Oogruk. Include his age, ethnicity, lifestyle, beliefs, status in the community, unusual aspects, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Russel's relationship with the dogs. What is it? How and why does it change during the journey? How do they feel about each other at the beginning and the end of the journey? When do the dogs go from belonging to Oogruk to belonging to Russel?
Essay Topic 3
On more than one occasion, Russel had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the woolly mammoth, caribou, and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Russel. What might have happened if Russel had tried to dominate the animals prematurely? How would you feel if confronted by one of the animals?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)