|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The elder is the only one in the village who owns ____.
2. The dogs also had the blood of ancestors from which location?
3. When Russel and Oogruk go hunting, they take ___ harpoons.
4. What does the elder warm in the pan?
5. What is the name of the elder consulted by Russel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oogruk tells Russel about missing his wife, who ran off. What does Oogruk say? What is Russel's reaction?
2. Oogruk tells Russel about the founding of the village. Who founded the village? How did things change when the people arrived?
3. What is Russel's impression of Oogruk's house?
4. Russel's father recommends taking a gift to Oogruk. What is the gift? What is Russel's opinion of the gift?
5. Who is Oogruk? What is unusual about the man?
6. What is the basis of the story?
7. Why does Russel go to Oogruk?
8. What is the warning Russel receives from his father about cooking meat?
9. What does Russel admire about Oogruk?
10. Discuss Russel's trance. What does he see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On more than one occasion, Russel had encounters with the animals. Most notably the meeting with the woolly mammoth, caribou, and the bear. Examine animal intelligence and how underestimating that intelligence might have been a fatal error for Russel. What might have happened if Russel had tried to dominate the animals prematurely? How would you feel if confronted by one of the animals?
Essay Topic 2
Examine oral tradition as it is used in the story. Why is it important? Does Russel understand Oogruk's stories and their importance? Why aren't the stories and songs written? Do you think that the stories would have the same impact if they were written? Explain. Also give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Russel Susskit? What makes him an unusual protagonist? Explain how you relate to Russel. How might you feel in Russel's shoes? How is Russel's life different from yours?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)