|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Russel own and used in place of dogs?
2. Oogruk compares dogs to ____.
3. Russel and his father spent the Winter months in which type of house?
4. An old woman stated that while shamans were powerful they were not always ____.
5. What type of oil does the elder use in his lamp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Oogruk tells Russel about missing his wife, who ran off. What does Oogruk say? What is Russel's reaction?
2. Russel begins to learn about songs. How does Oogruk explain finding one's own song?
3. What is a shaman?
4. Who is Oogruk? What is unusual about the man?
5. What advice does Russel's father give about Oogruk?
6. What is Russel's impression of Oogruk's house?
7. Who are the Outsiders? Why are they different from the Eskimos?
8. What is the warning Russel receives from his father about cooking meat?
9. What happens when Russel wakes up from his nap? What does he do next?
10. Oogruk tells Russel about the founding of the village. Who founded the village? How did things change when the people arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russel had no idea where he was at certain times because he had no maps in his possession. Russel chose to rely on his instinct as well as the dogs. Would Russel be able to tell by the landscape, plants or animals? What would be different about the region opposed to Russel's childhood home? Explain the changes in the terrain, animals, and territory in general.
Essay Topic 2
Examine oral tradition as it is used in the story. Why is it important? Does Russel understand Oogruk's stories and their importance? Why aren't the stories and songs written? Do you think that the stories would have the same impact if they were written? Explain. Also give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Russel's dream about the woolly mammoth was insightful and prophetic, but only after Russel figured out what they were trying to say. Why do you think that the dream was cryptic? Do you think the dream was cryptic? Why didn't Russel's dream-self recognize the younger Russel?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)