|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who could sing to the birds?
2. Russel is surprised when the old man says he will go with Russel to do what?
3. What part of the village was of great interest to the villagers?
4. Oogruk says that the new village had good things. Which was not one of the good things mentioned?
5. For Russel, _____ and the dream time come together.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Russel's impression of Oogruk's house?
2. What offer does Oogruk make to Russel? How does Russel's life change?
3. What problem does Russel experience?
4. What is a shaman?
5. What advice does Russel's father give about Oogruk?
6. Why does Russel go to Oogruk?
7. What does Russel's father try to explain to the 14-year-old boy?
8. What does Russel admire about Oogruk?
9. Who is Oogruk? What is unusual about the man?
10. What happens when Russel wakes up from his nap? What does he do next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Russel Susskit? What makes him an unusual protagonist? Explain how you relate to Russel. How might you feel in Russel's shoes? How is Russel's life different from yours?
Essay Topic 2
Flashback is used in several places throughout the story. Give at least three examples of flashback. Explain each in depth including the purpose and information gained from the use of the technique.
Essay Topic 3
Songs play a large part in the story. Explain the significance of finding one's own song. Why does Russel think he won't be able to find a song that fits only him? How does Russel's song develop? What does Russel's song mean?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)