|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the shaman's wives died?
2. What are mukluks?
3. What item did Russel own and used in place of dogs?
4. Russel had never eaten which part of the Caribou?
5. An old woman stated that while shamans were powerful they were not always ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Oogruk? What is unusual about the man?
2. What advice does Russel's father give about Oogruk?
3. What is a shaman?
4. What is Russel's impression of Oogruk's house?
5. What is the basis of the story?
6. What does Russel admire about Oogruk?
7. Why does Russel go to Oogruk?
8. What happens when Russel wakes up from his nap? What does he do next?
9. Oogruk tells Russel about missing his wife, who ran off. What does Oogruk say? What is Russel's reaction?
10. What problem does Russel experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Russel's quest can be seen as a gateway into manhood. Explain how the quest helped to turn Russel into a man. Compare and contrast this quest with others in modern cultures. Include vision quests and bar mitzvahs, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Flashback is used in several places throughout the story. Give at least three examples of flashback. Explain each in depth including the purpose and information gained from the use of the technique.
Essay Topic 3
Russel's determination helped him gain the strength to build the shelter. How did Russel know how to build a lean-to? Do you think his knowledge was gained from television, real life experience, or instruction? Explain.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)