|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Senator Avila shot?
2. Why is Daisy Avila ill in Scene 16?
3. Why is Joey ill in Scene 11?
4. Who does Joey first tell about witnessing the assassination?
5. What does Imelda ask Bob Stone out of nowhere in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle betray Joey in Scene 4?
2. Describe the action at the beginning of Scene 17.
3. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
4. How does Imelda Marcos foil Bob Stone's planned interview in Scene 10?
5. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
6. In what state is Daisy Avila in Scene 16?
7. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
8. How does Imelda describe herself at the end of Scene 10?
9. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
10. How is Romeo killed in Scene 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Because the world of Dogeaters is a panorama of many characters, the intersection between high and low society is dramatized in the characters. Write an essay about three strata of Philippine society as dramatized in the play:
Part 1) Discuss the golfing party of Alacran, Ledesma, and Avila. What does this group illustrate about the ruling class in the Philippines? Are they all of a single mind? Where does their power derive from?
Part 2) Discuss the working class in the Philippines as represented by Romeo and Trini. What options are open to these individuals? What limitations do they face? Discuss how the play leaves both of these characters. What does this say about the working class in the Philippines?
Part 3) How do Perlita and Chiquiting represent a sort of intersection between the ruling and the working classes? What connection do they have between both groups? How does this make them the safest and least happy of social groups?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Dogeaters, Filipinos speak about the rumors of violence by the regime, and over the course of the play these rumors become explicit. Write an essay about the movement of the violence from implicit to explicit over the course of the narrative. What cruelty is rumored at the beginning? What is the first explicit act of violence, and how does violence spread like a virus thereafter?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)