|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Avila say he is at the end of Scene 16?
2. Why is Joey ill in Scene 11?
3. Who is murdered in Scene 7?
4. Who -not at the scene of the assassination - starts crying in Scene 17?
5. In Scene 11, what are most of the guerrillas' attitudes toward Joey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Imelda describe herself at the end of Scene 10?
2. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
3. How does Uncle betray Joey in Scene 4?
4. How does Perlita save Joey's life in Scene 5?
5. Describe the action at the beginning of Scene 17.
6. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
7. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
8. Describe Daisy's Scene 9 interaction with her dead father.
9. How does Rio react to news of the assassination in Scene 1?
10. How is Joey connected to the assassination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Rio and how she is a surrogate. What similarities exist between Jessica Hagedorn's biography and Rio's? How is the audience's understanding of the situation in the Philippines also similar to Rio's? In what ways does Rio ask the questions of Philippine society that we too would ask?
Essay Topic 2
The role of coupling in Dogeaters is more ambiguous than in many other narratives. Write an essay about three couplings. How do these two characters find each other? What do they have to gain from each other? To what extent is the relationship based more on deception or power than it is on love? How does the relationship end?
Part 1) Romeo and Trini.
Part 2) Fassbinder and Joey.
Part 3) Lolita and Ledesma.
Essay Topic 3
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)