|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the ghost of Senator Avila first ask of Daisy in Scene 9?
2. Why is Daisy Avila ill in Scene 16?
3. In Scene 6, what has Lolita heard about Daisy Avila?
4. Who is the only witness to Avila's murder in Scene 17?
5. Why does Freddy get angry at Rio in Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
2. How does Rio react to news of the assassination in Scene 1?
3. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
4. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
5. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
6. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
7. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
8. What is revealed about life in Manila at the end of Scene 4?
9. How does Ledesma assert dominance over Daisy at the end of Scene 8?
10. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of Dogeaters is one in which the line between life and death is not a concrete partition. Write a three part essay about characters who return to the land of the living after death. How do they appear in the play? What is the purpose of the return, and how do the other characters interact with the dead one?
Part 1) Mallat
Part 2) Lola
Part 3) Avila
Essay Topic 2
In Dogeaters, Jessica Hagedorn juxtaposes the capital city of Manila, the stronghold of the Marcoses, with the hinterland of the Philippine mountain areas. The latter is the provenance for the NPA. Write an essay about the juxtaposition of these two settings:
Part 1) How has Manila changed at the beginning of the play? Discuss the changes that the Marcos regime has enacted. What are they modeling their capital city on, and how do the people of the Philippines feel about this development?
Part 2) Describe the mountain regions outside Manila. How are they different from the rest of the settings in Dogeaters? What groups congregate in this region, and what is their relationship to the Marcos regime?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)