|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lolita worried about in Scene 6?
2. What does General Ledesma interrogate Daisy about in Scene 8?
3. What morose, repetitive action is Fassbinder doing throughout Scene 17?
4. How does Joey entertain himself in Scene 17?
5. At the end of Scene 6, what does Lolita ask Alacran to procure for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Perlita save Joey's life in Scene 5?
2. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
3. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
4. How does Imelda describe herself at the end of Scene 10?
5. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
6. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
7. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
8. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
9. How does Uncle betray Joey in Scene 4?
10. In what state is Daisy Avila in Scene 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ruling class of the Philippines in Dogeaters is portrayed as profoundly perverse in its world view. Write an essay about how General Ledesma represents this perversion? How is his entire being in the early scenes a form of deception? What truth do his interactions with both Lolita Luna and Daisy Avila represent about power-holders in a dictatorship?
Essay Topic 2
In the Manila of Dogeaters, dictator Ferdinand Marcos and his wife Imelda rely on the use of entertainment to pacify dissent and codify their power. Write a three part essay about the way the Marcoses use entertainment to consolidate power:
Part 1) Discuss the purpose of Imelda Marcoses film festival. How does the first lady characterize this festival? What are her aspirations, and how does the populace react to the arrival of stars and auteurs?
Part 2) Discuss the characters of Tito Alvarez and Lolita Luna. What are their entertainment personas and how do these personas dovetail with the Marcos aesthetic? How do these movie stars become entwined in the political?
Part 3) In summation, explore the way Imelda Marcos interacts with the media in the play. What image does the first lady want to project to her people, and how does she use the radio/television interview to do this?
Essay Topic 3
In Dogeaters, Jessica Hagedorn juxtaposes the capital city of Manila, the stronghold of the Marcoses, with the hinterland of the Philippine mountain areas. The latter is the provenance for the NPA. Write an essay about the juxtaposition of these two settings:
Part 1) How has Manila changed at the beginning of the play? Discuss the changes that the Marcos regime has enacted. What are they modeling their capital city on, and how do the people of the Philippines feel about this development?
Part 2) Describe the mountain regions outside Manila. How are they different from the rest of the settings in Dogeaters? What groups congregate in this region, and what is their relationship to the Marcos regime?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)