|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 5, what does Perlita warm Joey will not be at his safe place?
2. Who betrays Joey in Scene 4?
3. Where is Santos in Scene 16?
4. Who does Perlita order to watch Joey in Scene 5?
5. What does Imelda say about Daisy Avila in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Senator Avila tell Daisy in his soliloquy in Scene 16?
2. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
3. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
4. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
5. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
6. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
7. What is revealed about life in Manila at the end of Scene 4?
8. How does Ledesma assert dominance over Daisy at the end of Scene 8?
9. How does Imelda Marcos foil Bob Stone's planned interview in Scene 10?
10. How does Perlita save Joey's life in Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Joey Sands. How does his journey over the course of the play lead to his realization that he loves his country? What does his role as the sole witness of the Avila assassination change about his character? Was he initially a progressive individual? What does he discover about himself when forced to leave his home?
Essay Topic 2
In Dogeaters, Jessica Hagedorn juxtaposes the capital city of Manila, the stronghold of the Marcoses, with the hinterland of the Philippine mountain areas. The latter is the provenance for the NPA. Write an essay about the juxtaposition of these two settings:
Part 1) How has Manila changed at the beginning of the play? Discuss the changes that the Marcos regime has enacted. What are they modeling their capital city on, and how do the people of the Philippines feel about this development?
Part 2) Describe the mountain regions outside Manila. How are they different from the rest of the settings in Dogeaters? What groups congregate in this region, and what is their relationship to the Marcos regime?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Dogeaters, Filipinos speak about the rumors of violence by the regime, and over the course of the play these rumors become explicit. Write an essay about the movement of the violence from implicit to explicit over the course of the narrative. What cruelty is rumored at the beginning? What is the first explicit act of violence, and how does violence spread like a virus thereafter?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)