|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 10, what does Imelda say of her detractors?
2. In Scene 16, who does Senator Avila say Daisy is like?
3. Which of the following is something that is related to have happened after the assassination in Scene 4?
4. In Scene 5, what does Perlita warm Joey will not be at his safe place?
5. Who shoots Senator Avila?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
2. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
3. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
4. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
5. How does Uncle betray Joey in Scene 4?
6. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
7. How is Romeo killed in Scene 7?
8. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
9. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
10. What does Senator Avila tell Daisy in his soliloquy in Scene 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the world of Dogeaters is a panorama of many characters, the intersection between high and low society is dramatized in the characters. Write an essay about three strata of Philippine society as dramatized in the play:
Part 1) Discuss the golfing party of Alacran, Ledesma, and Avila. What does this group illustrate about the ruling class in the Philippines? Are they all of a single mind? Where does their power derive from?
Part 2) Discuss the working class in the Philippines as represented by Romeo and Trini. What options are open to these individuals? What limitations do they face? Discuss how the play leaves both of these characters. What does this say about the working class in the Philippines?
Part 3) How do Perlita and Chiquiting represent a sort of intersection between the ruling and the working classes? What connection do they have between both groups? How does this make them the safest and least happy of social groups?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Rio and how she is a surrogate. What similarities exist between Jessica Hagedorn's biography and Rio's? How is the audience's understanding of the situation in the Philippines also similar to Rio's? In what ways does Rio ask the questions of Philippine society that we too would ask?
Essay Topic 3
Dogeaters is a sweeping narrative, and it is a play, allowing it many devices to impart information. Write an essay about the use of dramatic devices to impart information to the audience/reader:
Part 1) Discuss the framing device of the play. What is the function of Barbara and Nestor, both as individuals and as devices in the plot? How does the radio drama alter the tone of the play?
Part 2) Write an analysis of the sexual montage that occurs near the end of Act I. Which characters in the play are involved? Do any of them enjoy themselves? How does Hagedorn interweave the different sexual encounters?
Part 3) Discuss the use of monologue in the play. When characters speak directly to the audience, what do they impart? Are they covering narrative, adding emotional nuance, or both? Does the monologue affect the flow of the narrative?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)