|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daisy curse in Scene 9?
2. What is Avila on his way to when he is killed at the end of Act I?
3. What does Rio rail against at the end of Scene 1?
4. At the end of Scene 6, what does Lolita ask Alacran to procure for her?
5. What is Imelda particularly proud of regarding the shoes she shows in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
2. Describe Daisy's Scene 9 interaction with her dead father.
3. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
4. In what state is Daisy Avila in Scene 16?
5. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
6. How does Ledesma assert dominance over Daisy at the end of Scene 8?
7. How does Perlita save Joey's life in Scene 5?
8. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
9. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
10. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Dogeaters, Jessica Hagedorn juxtaposes the capital city of Manila, the stronghold of the Marcoses, with the hinterland of the Philippine mountain areas. The latter is the provenance for the NPA. Write an essay about the juxtaposition of these two settings:
Part 1) How has Manila changed at the beginning of the play? Discuss the changes that the Marcos regime has enacted. What are they modeling their capital city on, and how do the people of the Philippines feel about this development?
Part 2) Describe the mountain regions outside Manila. How are they different from the rest of the settings in Dogeaters? What groups congregate in this region, and what is their relationship to the Marcos regime?
Essay Topic 2
The ruling class of the Philippines in Dogeaters is portrayed as profoundly perverse in its world view. Write an essay about how General Ledesma represents this perversion? How is his entire being in the early scenes a form of deception? What truth do his interactions with both Lolita Luna and Daisy Avila represent about power-holders in a dictatorship?
Essay Topic 3
The world of Dogeaters is one in which the line between life and death is not a concrete partition. Write a three part essay about characters who return to the land of the living after death. How do they appear in the play? What is the purpose of the return, and how do the other characters interact with the dead one?
Part 1) Mallat
Part 2) Lola
Part 3) Avila
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)