|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disingenuous comment does Fassbinder make to Joey at the beginning of Scene 17?
2. What does Imelda say about her childhood in Scene 10?
3. Which of the following is something that is related to have happened after the assassination in Scene 4?
4. Why is Joey ill in Scene 11?
5. Where is Santos in Scene 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
2. What does Senator Avila tell Daisy in his soliloquy in Scene 16?
3. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
4. Describe Daisy's Scene 9 interaction with her dead father.
5. How is Romeo killed in Scene 7?
6. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
7. Describe the action at the beginning of Scene 17.
8. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
9. How is Joey connected to the assassination?
10. How does Imelda Marcos foil Bob Stone's planned interview in Scene 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the intersection between light entertainment and history in this play. Why does Hagedorn choose a soap opera for the frame of the story? What other light entertainment references and elements appear in the narrative? Thematically, how does this serve historical thesis of the play?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
Essay Topic 3
The ruling class of the Philippines in Dogeaters is portrayed as profoundly perverse in its world view. Write an essay about how General Ledesma represents this perversion? How is his entire being in the early scenes a form of deception? What truth do his interactions with both Lolita Luna and Daisy Avila represent about power-holders in a dictatorship?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)