|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joey entertain himself in Scene 17?
2. Which ominous military maneuver happens after Avila's murder?
3. How is Fassbinder distracted when Joey steals his bag in Scene 17?
4. What does Daisy debate to herself after confession in Scene 4?
5. What does Senator Avila say that Daisy wants to do in Scene 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
2. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
3. How does Rio react to news of the assassination in Scene 1?
4. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
5. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
6. Describe Daisy's Scene 9 interaction with her dead father.
7. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
8. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
9. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
10. How does Imelda describe herself at the end of Scene 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the influence of American culture on the Manila of Dogeaters. Discuss individual examples of appropriated American culture in the city. Which characters have taken on American personas? What do you think America represents to the people of the Philippines at this point in its history?
Essay Topic 2
Dogeaters does not have a clearly defines single protagonists, only characters that are points of entry for audience sympathies. Three characters undergo significant arcs and could serve the role of protagonist. In an essay, discuss the arc of each. What normal existence does each character have at the beginning? How do the events of the play shatter this normalcy? Where does this character end the play? What is his or her catharsis?
Part 1) Joey Sands
Part 2) Daisy Avila
Part 3) Rio
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Daisy Avila. To what extent does she exist in the intersection between the workers and the ruling class? Why is she dangerous to the powers that be? Chart her character arc. How does she transition from uncertainty to certainty about her role in society? Where does she end her journey?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)