|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does not appear in Scene 2?
2. In Scene 8, what does Ledesma reveal he knows about Daisy?
3. Who does Joey first tell about witnessing the assassination?
4. In Scene 11, what are most of the guerrillas' attitudes toward Joey?
5. In his soliloquy in Scene 16, what does Senator Avila beg his daughter to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle betray Joey in Scene 4?
2. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
3. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
4. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
5. Why is Lolita Luna worried in Scene 6?
6. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
7. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
8. How does Imelda Marcos foil Bob Stone's planned interview in Scene 10?
9. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
10. Describe the action at the beginning of Scene 17.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The world of Manila in Dogeaters is one in which everything and everyone is for sale. In an essay, chart Rainer Fassbinder's experience in the city as an illustration of this. What does Fassbinder buy with his western dollars over the course of the play? Who does he exploit and what does he damage in the process? Discuss how someone like Fassbinder rationalizes this exploitation.
Essay Topic 2
The ruling class of the Philippines in Dogeaters is portrayed as profoundly perverse in its world view. Write an essay about how General Ledesma represents this perversion? How is his entire being in the early scenes a form of deception? What truth do his interactions with both Lolita Luna and Daisy Avila represent about power-holders in a dictatorship?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)