|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Senator Avila in succeed in doing with his daughter in Scene 16?
2. Who is murdered in Scene 7?
3. Where is Santos in Scene 16?
4. Who is the only witness to Avila's murder in Scene 17?
5. Who sings a lullaby to Daisy in Scene 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
2. What is revealed about life in Manila at the end of Scene 4?
3. How does Rio react to news of the assassination in Scene 1?
4. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
5. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
6. What spectral occurrence happens in Scene 1?
7. How does Ledesma assert dominance over Daisy at the end of Scene 8?
8. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
9. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
10. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrative of Dogeaters is based on actual historical events that took place in Manila, but Jessica Hagedorn intermingles fiction and fact in the play. Write an essay about this intermingling. What elements of the play - characters, settings, events - are factual, and what is dramatic invention? How do the fictional elements serve the historical truth Hagedorn is trying to impart?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the intersection between light entertainment and history in this play. Why does Hagedorn choose a soap opera for the frame of the story? What other light entertainment references and elements appear in the narrative? Thematically, how does this serve historical thesis of the play?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)