|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 9, Senator Avila's ghost tells Daisy she must have what?
2. Who is murdered in Scene 7?
3. In Scene 16, who does Senator Avila say Daisy is like?
4. Which ominous military maneuver happens after Avila's murder?
5. What is Lolita worried about in Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rio react to news of the assassination in Scene 1?
2. How does Joey steal from Fassbinder in Scene 17?
3. Describe Daisy's Scene 9 interaction with her dead father.
4. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
5. Describe the action at the beginning of Scene 17.
6. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
7. What does Senator Avila tell Daisy in his soliloquy in Scene 16?
8. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
9. How does Imelda Marcos foil Bob Stone's planned interview in Scene 10?
10. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Rio and how she is a surrogate. What similarities exist between Jessica Hagedorn's biography and Rio's? How is the audience's understanding of the situation in the Philippines also similar to Rio's? In what ways does Rio ask the questions of Philippine society that we too would ask?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the intersection between light entertainment and history in this play. Why does Hagedorn choose a soap opera for the frame of the story? What other light entertainment references and elements appear in the narrative? Thematically, how does this serve historical thesis of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)