|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which ominous military maneuver happens after Avila's murder?
2. What can Senator Avila in succeed in doing with his daughter in Scene 16?
3. What morose, repetitive action is Fassbinder doing throughout Scene 17?
4. Who is the only witness to Avila's murder in Scene 17?
5. Before leaving at the end of Scene 8, what does Ledesma promise he will do to Daisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
2. How does Imelda Marcos foil Bob Stone's planned interview in Scene 10?
3. How does Perlita save Joey's life in Scene 5?
4. Describe the action at the beginning of Scene 17.
5. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
6. What does Senator Avila tell Daisy in his soliloquy in Scene 16?
7. How is Joey connected to the assassination?
8. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
9. In what state is Daisy Avila in Scene 16?
10. What do the NPA guerrillas feel about Joey in Scene 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the influence of American culture on the Manila of Dogeaters. Discuss individual examples of appropriated American culture in the city. Which characters have taken on American personas? What do you think America represents to the people of the Philippines at this point in its history?
Essay Topic 3
The ruling class of the Philippines in Dogeaters is portrayed as profoundly perverse in its world view. Write an essay about how General Ledesma represents this perversion? How is his entire being in the early scenes a form of deception? What truth do his interactions with both Lolita Luna and Daisy Avila represent about power-holders in a dictatorship?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)