|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Nestor and Barbara's melodrama?
2. Why is Uncle berating Joey in Scene 4?
3. What is the NPA?
4. What does Alacran recommend in Scene 12 after Carreon skulks off?
5. In Scene 6, why does Romeo say he cannot get a drink with Trini?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Scene 1, what is imparted to the audience through radio clips?
2. Describe the speech that Avila delivers in Scene 7.
3. Why does Chiquiting become annoyed in Scene 14?
4. How is Joey Sands introduced in Scene 4?
5. Describe Daisy and Santos meeting in Scene 8.
6. What information about Daisy Avila do Nest and Barbara impart in Scene 5?
7. What role does a real historical figure play in Scene 10?
8. Describe the montage of Scene 15.
9. What is a dogeater?
10. How are Tito Alvarez and Lolita Luna greeted at Studio 54 in Scene 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Manila of Dogeaters, dictator Ferdinand Marcos and his wife Imelda rely on the use of entertainment to pacify dissent and codify their power. Write a three part essay about the way the Marcoses use entertainment to consolidate power:
Part 1) Discuss the purpose of Imelda Marcoses film festival. How does the first lady characterize this festival? What are her aspirations, and how does the populace react to the arrival of stars and auteurs?
Part 2) Discuss the characters of Tito Alvarez and Lolita Luna. What are their entertainment personas and how do these personas dovetail with the Marcos aesthetic? How do these movie stars become entwined in the political?
Part 3) In summation, explore the way Imelda Marcos interacts with the media in the play. What image does the first lady want to project to her people, and how does she use the radio/television interview to do this?
Essay Topic 2
The role of coupling in Dogeaters is more ambiguous than in many other narratives. Write an essay about three couplings. How do these two characters find each other? What do they have to gain from each other? To what extent is the relationship based more on deception or power than it is on love? How does the relationship end?
Part 1) Romeo and Trini.
Part 2) Fassbinder and Joey.
Part 3) Lolita and Ledesma.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the influence of American culture on the Manila of Dogeaters. Discuss individual examples of appropriated American culture in the city. Which characters have taken on American personas? What do you think America represents to the people of the Philippines at this point in its history?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)