|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Nestor and Barbara promise about the plot in Scene 2?
2. How does Perlita help Joey in Scene 10?
3. What does Rio say disgusts her in Scene 9?
4. In Scene 9, why is Rio sad?
5. What term does Joey explain in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peculiar about the tryst between Trini and Romeo in Scene 15?
2. Why does Chiquiting become annoyed in Scene 14?
3. How are Tito Alvarez and Lolita Luna greeted at Studio 54 in Scene 14?
4. How do Trini and Romeo meet in Scene 6?
5. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
6. Describe the speech that Avila delivers in Scene 7.
7. At the beginning of Scene 10, what do Perlita and Chiquiting gossip about?
8. What information about Daisy Avila do Nest and Barbara impart in Scene 5?
9. Describe the party at the beginning of Scene 14.
10. Who do Nestor and Barbara introduce in Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of coupling in Dogeaters is more ambiguous than in many other narratives. Write an essay about three couplings. How do these two characters find each other? What do they have to gain from each other? To what extent is the relationship based more on deception or power than it is on love? How does the relationship end?
Part 1) Romeo and Trini.
Part 2) Fassbinder and Joey.
Part 3) Lolita and Ledesma.
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of Dogeaters, Filipinos speak about the rumors of violence by the regime, and over the course of the play these rumors become explicit. Write an essay about the movement of the violence from implicit to explicit over the course of the narrative. What cruelty is rumored at the beginning? What is the first explicit act of violence, and how does violence spread like a virus thereafter?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the world of Studio 54 and its ambiguous relationship to the zeitgeist of Manila. Describe the world that Perlita has created. How does it reflect a progressive attitude that is anathema to the Marcos platform? Why is the club valued by Imelda Marcos and her people? In the end, how does the club allow Perlita and Chiquiting to pass between two worlds?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)