|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Senator Avila well known in the Philippines?
2. In Scene 6, why does Romeo say he cannot get a drink with Trini?
3. How is Freddie Gonzaga related to Rio?
4. In Scene 9, Rio remembers her grandmother taking her to a movie starring who?
5. According to Avila in Scene 12, what part of the Philippine temperament does the country a disservice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is peculiar about the tryst between Trini and Romeo in Scene 15?
2. In Scene 9, how does Rio's story about her grandmother reflect the changing Manila?
3. Who do Nestor and Barbara introduce in Scene 2?
4. How do Trini and Romeo meet in Scene 6?
5. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
6. In Scene 1, what is imparted to the audience through radio clips?
7. In Scene 4, how does Uncle goad Joey?
8. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
9. How does Pucha treat the waiter in Scene 9?
10. How does Imelda Marcos defend herself in Scene 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
Essay Topic 2
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Dogeaters, Filipinos speak about the rumors of violence by the regime, and over the course of the play these rumors become explicit. Write an essay about the movement of the violence from implicit to explicit over the course of the narrative. What cruelty is rumored at the beginning? What is the first explicit act of violence, and how does violence spread like a virus thereafter?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)