Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 1, what has Daisy Avila just won?
2. What Lolita Luna movie is playing in Scene 6?
3. What is Senator Avila pressing the government for?
4. How does Perlita help Joey in Scene 10?
5. How does Uncle stop Joey from attacking him in Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
2. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
3. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
4. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
5. Describe the speech that Avila delivers in Scene 7.
6. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
7. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
8. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
9. Describe the cafe in Scene 9.
10. How does Pucha treat the waiter in Scene 9?
Essay Topic 1
Dogeaters does not have a clearly defines single protagonists, only characters that are points of entry for audience sympathies. Three characters undergo significant arcs and could serve the role of protagonist. In an essay, discuss the arc of each. What normal existence does each character have at the beginning? How do the events of the play shatter this normalcy? Where does this character end the play? What is his or her catharsis?
Part 1) Joey Sands
Part 2) Daisy Avila
Part 3) Rio
Essay Topic 2
The role of coupling in Dogeaters is more ambiguous than in many other narratives. Write an essay about three couplings. How do these two characters find each other? What do they have to gain from each other? To what extent is the relationship based more on deception or power than it is on love? How does the relationship end?
Part 1) Romeo and Trini.
Part 2) Fassbinder and Joey.
Part 3) Lolita and Ledesma.
Essay Topic 3
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)