|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chiquiting's job?
2. Who are Nestor Noralez and Barbara Villanueva?
3. What is Rio's father's new wife's claim to fame?
4. What did Mallat measure during his time in the Philippines?
5. While they have sex in Scene 15, what does Romeo accidentally call Trini?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fassbinder show himself to be disingenuous in Scene 17?
2. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
3. In Scene 4, how does Uncle goad Joey?
4. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
5. What do Nestor and Barbara say about Philippines history in Scene 2?
6. At the beginning of Scene 10, what do Perlita and Chiquiting gossip about?
7. Why does Lieutenant Carreon skulk off in Scene 12?
8. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
9. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
10. How does Imelda Marcos defend herself in Scene 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ruling class of the Philippines in Dogeaters is portrayed as profoundly perverse in its world view. Write an essay about how General Ledesma represents this perversion? How is his entire being in the early scenes a form of deception? What truth do his interactions with both Lolita Luna and Daisy Avila represent about power-holders in a dictatorship?
Essay Topic 2
In the Manila of Dogeaters, dictator Ferdinand Marcos and his wife Imelda rely on the use of entertainment to pacify dissent and codify their power. Write a three part essay about the way the Marcoses use entertainment to consolidate power:
Part 1) Discuss the purpose of Imelda Marcoses film festival. How does the first lady characterize this festival? What are her aspirations, and how does the populace react to the arrival of stars and auteurs?
Part 2) Discuss the characters of Tito Alvarez and Lolita Luna. What are their entertainment personas and how do these personas dovetail with the Marcos aesthetic? How do these movie stars become entwined in the political?
Part 3) In summation, explore the way Imelda Marcos interacts with the media in the play. What image does the first lady want to project to her people, and how does she use the radio/television interview to do this?
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of Dogeaters, Filipinos speak about the rumors of violence by the regime, and over the course of the play these rumors become explicit. Write an essay about the movement of the violence from implicit to explicit over the course of the narrative. What cruelty is rumored at the beginning? What is the first explicit act of violence, and how does violence spread like a virus thereafter?
This section contains 2,342 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)