|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pucha scandalized in Scene 9?
2. What does Perlita warn Joey about Uncle in Scene 10?
3. Who does Imelda Marcos congratulate in Scene 11?
4. Which character is not in attendance at the golf game in Scene 12?
5. Which of these characters is not introduced in Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Senator Avila relate to his right-wing counterparts in Scene 12?
2. What role does a real historical figure play in Scene 10?
3. Why does Chiquiting become annoyed in Scene 14?
4. Describe the cafe in Scene 9.
5. What do Nestor and Barbara say about Philippines history in Scene 2?
6. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
7. Why does Lieutenant Carreon skulk off in Scene 12?
8. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
9. What is peculiar about the tryst between Trini and Romeo in Scene 15?
10. Describe Daisy and Santos meeting in Scene 8.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Manila of Dogeaters, dictator Ferdinand Marcos and his wife Imelda rely on the use of entertainment to pacify dissent and codify their power. Write a three part essay about the way the Marcoses use entertainment to consolidate power:
Part 1) Discuss the purpose of Imelda Marcoses film festival. How does the first lady characterize this festival? What are her aspirations, and how does the populace react to the arrival of stars and auteurs?
Part 2) Discuss the characters of Tito Alvarez and Lolita Luna. What are their entertainment personas and how do these personas dovetail with the Marcos aesthetic? How do these movie stars become entwined in the political?
Part 3) In summation, explore the way Imelda Marcos interacts with the media in the play. What image does the first lady want to project to her people, and how does she use the radio/television interview to do this?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Joey Sands. How does his journey over the course of the play lead to his realization that he loves his country? What does his role as the sole witness of the Avila assassination change about his character? Was he initially a progressive individual? What does he discover about himself when forced to leave his home?
Essay Topic 3
The narrative of Dogeaters is based on actual historical events that took place in Manila, but Jessica Hagedorn intermingles fiction and fact in the play. Write an essay about this intermingling. What elements of the play - characters, settings, events - are factual, and what is dramatic invention? How do the fictional elements serve the historical truth Hagedorn is trying to impart?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)