|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pucha in Scene 9, what has changed about ethnic Filipinos?
2. What is the NPA?
3. How did Severo Alacran's family die?
4. Which character is not in attendance at the golf game in Scene 12?
5. At the beginning of the play, what is being built in Manila?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Senator Avila relate to his right-wing counterparts in Scene 12?
2. In Scene 4, how does Uncle goad Joey?
3. Who is golfing in Scene 12?
4. How does Scene 11 end on an incongruously upbeat note?
5. Describe Daisy and Santos meeting in Scene 8.
6. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
7. Describe the montage of Scene 15.
8. In Scene 1, what is imparted to the audience through radio clips?
9. What is peculiar about the tryst between Trini and Romeo in Scene 15?
10. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because the world of Dogeaters is a panorama of many characters, the intersection between high and low society is dramatized in the characters. Write an essay about three strata of Philippine society as dramatized in the play:
Part 1) Discuss the golfing party of Alacran, Ledesma, and Avila. What does this group illustrate about the ruling class in the Philippines? Are they all of a single mind? Where does their power derive from?
Part 2) Discuss the working class in the Philippines as represented by Romeo and Trini. What options are open to these individuals? What limitations do they face? Discuss how the play leaves both of these characters. What does this say about the working class in the Philippines?
Part 3) How do Perlita and Chiquiting represent a sort of intersection between the ruling and the working classes? What connection do they have between both groups? How does this make them the safest and least happy of social groups?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Joey Sands. How does his journey over the course of the play lead to his realization that he loves his country? What does his role as the sole witness of the Avila assassination change about his character? Was he initially a progressive individual? What does he discover about himself when forced to leave his home?
Essay Topic 3
Dogeaters does not have a clearly defines single protagonists, only characters that are points of entry for audience sympathies. Three characters undergo significant arcs and could serve the role of protagonist. In an essay, discuss the arc of each. What normal existence does each character have at the beginning? How do the events of the play shatter this normalcy? Where does this character end the play? What is his or her catharsis?
Part 1) Joey Sands
Part 2) Daisy Avila
Part 3) Rio
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)