|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drags Lolita Luna out of Studio 54 in Scene 14?
2. Which character is the owner of Studio 54?
3. At the beginning of the play, what is being built in Manila?
4. What is the cafe of Scene 9 made up to look like?
5. Which revolutionary European director hits on Joey in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a dogeater?
2. Describe the cafe in Scene 9.
3. Who is golfing in Scene 12?
4. What state is Joey in when he enters in Scene 10?
5. In Scene 9, how does Rio's story about her grandmother reflect the changing Manila?
6. How does Pucha treat the waiter in Scene 9?
7. What do Nestor and Barbara say about Philippines history in Scene 2?
8. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
9. How do Trini and Romeo meet in Scene 6?
10. How does Senator Avila relate to his right-wing counterparts in Scene 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early in the play, Joey Sands tells Rainer Fassbinder about the term Dogeaters, which was coined by the Americans when they colonized the Philippines. Write an essay about the colonial history of the nation, as portrayed in the play. How do individual characters relate to this history? How are they still coping with its after-effects? What does this say about the legacy of subjugation in general?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the influence of American culture on the Manila of Dogeaters. Discuss individual examples of appropriated American culture in the city. Which characters have taken on American personas? What do you think America represents to the people of the Philippines at this point in its history?
Essay Topic 3
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)