|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle stop Joey from attacking him in Scene 4?
2. In Scene 9, Rio remembers her grandmother taking her to a movie starring who?
3. What is Senator Avila pressing the government for?
4. Who are Nestor Noralez and Barbara Villanueva?
5. Who originated the term Joey explains in Scene 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chiquiting become annoyed in Scene 14?
2. How is Joey Sands introduced in Scene 4?
3. In Scene 4, how does Uncle goad Joey?
4. What is a dogeater?
5. Why does Rio Gonzaga return to Manila in Scene 3?
6. In Scene 1, what is imparted to the audience through radio clips?
7. Describe the speech that Avila delivers in Scene 7.
8. At the beginning of Scene 10, what do Perlita and Chiquiting gossip about?
9. How does Scene 11 end on an incongruously upbeat note?
10. Who is golfing in Scene 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the character of Daisy Avila. To what extent does she exist in the intersection between the workers and the ruling class? Why is she dangerous to the powers that be? Chart her character arc. How does she transition from uncertainty to certainty about her role in society? Where does she end her journey?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the intersection between light entertainment and history in this play. Why does Hagedorn choose a soap opera for the frame of the story? What other light entertainment references and elements appear in the narrative? Thematically, how does this serve historical thesis of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The country of the Philippines is the primary character of Dogeaters, and it undergoes many changes as a political climate turns bloody. Write a three part essay about the transition the Philippines undergoes:
Part 1) Describe the Philippines at the beginning of the play. How do the Marcoses rule it, and what is the coal structure like? Discuss how the colonial history of the country has shaped Philippine society.
Part 2) The catalyzing event of Dogeaters is the murder of Senator Avila. Why is Avila murdered? How does the populace respond to the assassination? Discuss if and how Philippine society is changed by this upheaval.
Part 3) Discuss the state of the Philippines at the end of the play. What has changes in the sociopolitical climate, and what is the same as it was before? What cumulative effect did the coup have?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)