|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 1, what has Daisy Avila just won?
2. What Lolita Luna movie is playing in Scene 6?
3. What is Senator Avila pressing the government for?
4. How does Perlita help Joey in Scene 10?
5. How does Uncle stop Joey from attacking him in Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
2. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
3. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
4. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
5. Describe the speech that Avila delivers in Scene 7.
6. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
7. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
8. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
9. Describe the cafe in Scene 9.
10. How does Pucha treat the waiter in Scene 9?
Essay Topic 1
The narrative of Dogeaters is based on actual historical events that took place in Manila, but Jessica Hagedorn intermingles fiction and fact in the play. Write an essay about this intermingling. What elements of the play - characters, settings, events - are factual, and what is dramatic invention? How do the fictional elements serve the historical truth Hagedorn is trying to impart?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the character of Joey Sands. How does his journey over the course of the play lead to his realization that he loves his country? What does his role as the sole witness of the Avila assassination change about his character? Was he initially a progressive individual? What does he discover about himself when forced to leave his home?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Daisy Avila. To what extent does she exist in the intersection between the workers and the ruling class? Why is she dangerous to the powers that be? Chart her character arc. How does she transition from uncertainty to certainty about her role in society? Where does she end her journey?
This section contains 2,343 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)