|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 1, what has Daisy Avila just won?
2. What Lolita Luna movie is playing in Scene 6?
3. What is Senator Avila pressing the government for?
4. How does Perlita help Joey in Scene 10?
5. How does Uncle stop Joey from attacking him in Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joey relate to Fassbinder in Scene 17?
2. Describe the assassination of Senator Avila at the end of Act I.
3. How is Daisy interrogated in Scene 8?
4. What is Daisy Avila doing when she is arrested in Scene 4?
5. Describe the speech that Avila delivers in Scene 7.
6. What does Imelda Marcos say about the assassination in Scene 10?
7. What does Rio think about the Manila she has returned to?
8. What state is Joey in in Scene 11?
9. Describe the cafe in Scene 9.
10. How does Pucha treat the waiter in Scene 9?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Imelda Marcos in Dogeaters is an amalgamation of the associations held internationally about the historic figure. Write an essay analyzing the character of Imelda Marcos. What image does Imelda want to impart to her people? What narrative does she tell about herself? Discuss how her actions belie the falsehood of her personal narrative.
Essay Topic 2
In Dogeaters, Jessica Hagedorn juxtaposes the capital city of Manila, the stronghold of the Marcoses, with the hinterland of the Philippine mountain areas. The latter is the provenance for the NPA. Write an essay about the juxtaposition of these two settings:
Part 1) How has Manila changed at the beginning of the play? Discuss the changes that the Marcos regime has enacted. What are they modeling their capital city on, and how do the people of the Philippines feel about this development?
Part 2) Describe the mountain regions outside Manila. How are they different from the rest of the settings in Dogeaters? What groups congregate in this region, and what is their relationship to the Marcos regime?
Essay Topic 3
The world of Dogeaters is one in which the line between life and death is not a concrete partition. Write a three part essay about characters who return to the land of the living after death. How do they appear in the play? What is the purpose of the return, and how do the other characters interact with the dead one?
Part 1) Mallat
Part 2) Lola
Part 3) Avila
This section contains 2,343 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)