|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herriot say dogs love most in life?
2. What is the name of Mrs. Whitby's dog?
3. Who runs a home for abandoned dogs?
4. What is the name of the pub that Cotteral uses?
5. What kind of dogs are the two that Herriot just doesn't love?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Herman cured of his paralysis?
2. What happens to Skipper when Jingo dies, and how is he saved?
3. What does Herriot do to treat Rip's broken leg?
4. What does Herriot do when he hears about the death of Mr. Potts?
5. How does Herriot describe the stray dog's injuries?
6. What does Herriot say dogs love most in their life?
7. What is wrong with Jake when Roddy brings him in to the clinic?
8. How does Herriot cure Jake?
9. How is Ron Cundall paralyzed?
10. What happens when the two new dogs of the Whithorns are brought to the clinic for a check-up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book are persuaded to do things that they would not do of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how does persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)