|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cats does Mrs. Stubbs own?
2. What happens to Bonzo?
3. What is the name of Mrs. Cook's dog?
4. What profession does Albert hold?
5. What does Herriot do for Mr. Dean's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Herriot find in the morning after the surgery on the Labrador?
2. What happens when Ben dies?
3. What does Herriot do when he sees Mick's puffy and irritated eyes?
4. What does Herriot do when he receives a Christmas basket from Mrs. Humphrey?
5. What is the most frustrating part of Brennan's clinic when Herriot is filling in for him?
6. What happens to Timmy, and how does Herriot treat him?
7. What does Herriot do when he realizes someone is poisoning dogs?
8. What is the misunderstanding about Miss Dooley's name?
9. How does Herriot treat the collie he works on after cutting his finger?
10. How does Herriot feel after treating Benjamin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tristan is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alter the outcome of the plot? What happens differently if Tristan is not in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety are two themes that are touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Rest and recuperation is a tool used by Herriot in healing many animals in this book. When does he use this tool, and what are some of the affects this resting has on the plot?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)