|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which human arrives in the middle of Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What does Robin do when he grows tired of the Vintner?
3. Who threatens to tear Faustus apart in Act 5, Scene 1?
4. How does the Pope react to Faustus's actions?
5. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
2. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
3. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
4. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
5. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
6. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
7. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
8. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
9. How does Faustus feel during the last hour of his life?
10. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the advice of Good Angel and the Bad Angel in "Dr. Faustus". How do they emphasize the duality of mankind?
Essay Topic 3
How is learning viewed in "Dr. Faustus"? How do different characters view learning?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)