|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faustus do to make the churchmen leave the room?
2. What is the Vintner searching for?
3. From where does Mephastophilis retrieve Alexander the Great?
4. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
5. What are Faustus and Mephastophilis doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
2. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
3. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
4. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
5. What is Faustus's final request?
6. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
7. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
8. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
9. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
10. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the advice of Good Angel and the Bad Angel in "Dr. Faustus". How do they emphasize the duality of mankind?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)