|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Duke of Vanholt promise?
2. Whom is Faustus eager to please in Act 4, Scene 3?
3. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
4. What does the Horse-Courser want when he returns?
5. Where are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
2. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
3. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
4. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
5. Why is the Vintner unable to find the silver goblet?
6. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
7. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
8. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
9. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
10. What part does the knight play in Act 4, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Besides Dr. Faustus, who in this play sins? How do they sin? How are they punished?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Dr. Faustus controversial when it was published? How did the period affect the way that the book was received in society?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Old Man represent man's dual nature of good and evil?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)