|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Faustus claim that he is going to die?
2. Whom is Faustus eager to please in Act 4, Scene 3?
3. Why does Faustus send his guests to a different room during the last hour of his life?
4. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
5. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
2. How does Carolus react to Faustus's feats?
3. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
4. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
5. How does Faustus react to the Duchess of Vanholt's craving, and why?
6. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
7. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
8. What is Faustus's final request?
9. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
10. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can Mephastophilis be seen as a sympathetic character?
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of necromancy instigate the action of "Dr. Faustus"?
Essay Topic 3
Besides Dr. Faustus, who in this play sins? How do they sin? How are they punished?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)