|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faustus's last request?
2. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What are Faustus and Mephastophilis doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
4. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
5. Where is Faustus, according to the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, what does Faustus want, and why?
2. Why is the Vintner unable to find the silver goblet?
3. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
4. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
5. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
6. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
7. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
8. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
9. What part does the knight play in Act 4, Scene 1?
10. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lucifer and Dr. Faustus, providing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Latin used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters speak Latin, and what does this signify about them?
Essay Topic 3
How is learning viewed in "Dr. Faustus"? How do different characters view learning?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)