|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 4, Scene 3?
2. Who is awestruck at the end of Act 4, Scene 3?
3. Why does Faustus send his guests to a different room during the last hour of his life?
4. What does Faustus say when the Horse-Courser attacks him toward the end of Act 4, Scene 2?
5. What is odd about Faustus's feat in Act 4, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
2. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
3. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
4. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
5. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
6. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
7. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
8. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
9. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
10. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose and analyze one of the symbols in "Dr. Faustus", citing textual examples.
Essay Topic 2
"Dr. Faustus" employs different styles of writing. When is blank verse used? When is rhymed verse used? Which characters speak in blank verse? Which characters speak in rhymed verse? What does the use of different writing styles signify within the text?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)