|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the object being carried in Act 3, Scene 2 obtained?
2. When does Faustus claim that he is going to die?
3. What does Mephastophilis do to Robin and Rafe as punishment for meddling?
4. Who enters with Faustus in Act 5, Scene 1?
5. What does the Horse-Courser want when he returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
2. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
3. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
4. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
5. What part does the knight play in Act 4, Scene 1?
6. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
7. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
8. What are Robin and Rafe doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
9. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
10. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Debate whether "Dr. Faustus" is a Christian tragedy, citing examples from the text to support your conclusion.
Essay Topic 2
How is comedy used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters are comic? Which scenes are comic?
Essay Topic 3
What does "Dr. Faustus" suggest about Marlowe's attitude toward women?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)