|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Faustus claim that he is going to die?
2. Who is the protagonist of this play?
3. Whom does Faustus summon from the dead in Act 5, Scene 1?
4. From where does Mephastophilis retrieve Alexander the Great?
5. Who enters the room with a large retinue of attendants in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Faustus react to the Duchess of Vanholt's craving, and why?
2. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
4. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
5. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
6. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
7. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
8. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
9. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
10. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
Essay Topic 2
How is comedy used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters are comic? Which scenes are comic?
Essay Topic 3
"Dr. Faustus" employs different styles of writing. When is blank verse used? When is rhymed verse used? Which characters speak in blank verse? Which characters speak in rhymed verse? What does the use of different writing styles signify within the text?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)