|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seizes the Horse-Courser?
2. In Act 3, Scene 2, why does Robin summon Mephastophilis?
3. Why does the Chorus say that Faustus was damned?
4. Who does the Pope think Faustus is?
5. When does Faustus claim that he is going to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Faustus feel during the last hour of his life?
2. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
3. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
4. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
5. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
6. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, what does Faustus want, and why?
7. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
8. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
9. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
10. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze "Dr. Faustus" as a morality play.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the chorus in "Dr. Faustus"? What role do they play? Why are they important?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)