|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears when Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
2. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
3. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
4. What are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting for at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
5. Why does Faustus make his odd request in Act 3, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
2. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
3. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
4. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
5. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
6. How does Faustus feel during the last hour of his life?
7. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
8. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
9. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
10. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose and analyze one of the symbols in "Dr. Faustus", citing textual examples.
Essay Topic 2
How is learning viewed in "Dr. Faustus"? How do different characters view learning?
Essay Topic 3
Besides Dr. Faustus, who in this play sins? How do they sin? How are they punished?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)