|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters with Faustus in Act 5, Scene 1?
2. How does Faustus respond to Carolus' request at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
3. Who arrives in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
4. What do Robin and Rafe do out of fear of Mephastophilis?
5. Who is awestruck at the end of Act 4, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
2. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
3. How does Faustus react to the Duchess of Vanholt's craving, and why?
4. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
5. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
6. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
7. Whom does Faustus command to adhere to Carolus's request in Act 4, Scene 4?
8. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
9. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
10. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Latin used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters speak Latin, and what does this signify about them?
Essay Topic 2
How is learning viewed in "Dr. Faustus"? How do different characters view learning?
Essay Topic 3
How is comedy used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters are comic? Which scenes are comic?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)