|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Faustus talk to at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2?
2. What do Mephastophilis and Faustus do to the people singing a dirge at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Where does Faustus say he got the grapes?
4. What do Robin and Rafe do out of fear of Mephastophilis?
5. From where does Mephastophilis retrieve Alexander the Great?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Vintner unable to find the silver goblet?
2. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
3. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
4. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
5. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
6. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
7. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
8. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
9. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
10. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does "Dr. Faustus" suggest about Marlowe's attitude toward women?
Essay Topic 2
How is learning viewed in "Dr. Faustus"? How do different characters view learning?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Latin used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters speak Latin, and what does this signify about them?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)