|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Faustus play a joke on in Act 4, Scene 1?
2. Who seizes the Horse-Courser?
3. What is the Vintner searching for?
4. What does Wagner feel that Faustus should be doing at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
5. Who threatens to tear Faustus apart in Act 5, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
2. How does Faustus react to the Duchess of Vanholt's craving, and why?
3. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
4. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, what does Faustus want, and why?
5. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
6. What is Faustus's final request?
7. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
8. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
9. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
10. How does Faustus feel during the last hour of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Dr. Faustus" employs different styles of writing. When is blank verse used? When is rhymed verse used? Which characters speak in blank verse? Which characters speak in rhymed verse? What does the use of different writing styles signify within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
Essay Topic 3
Besides Dr. Faustus, who in this play sins? How do they sin? How are they punished?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)