|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enters with Faustus in Act 5, Scene 1?
2. What does Faustus ask for instead of his original plan in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Whom does Faustus summon from the dead in Act 5, Scene 1?
4. What are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting for at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
5. How does the Old Man send the devils away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
2. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
3. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
4. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
5. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
6. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
7. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
8. What part does the knight play in Act 4, Scene 1?
9. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
10. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of necromancy instigate the action of "Dr. Faustus"?
Essay Topic 2
How is learning viewed in "Dr. Faustus"? How do different characters view learning?
Essay Topic 3
How can Mephastophilis be seen as a sympathetic character?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)