|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific topic does Faustus begin to study, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
2. What do the devils do in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
4. What do Valdes and Cornelius advise Faustus to do?
5. Why is Faustus tempted to study this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mephastophilis returns in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What happens when Faustus commands Mephastophilis to act as his servant?
3. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
4. What do the devils show Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Describe Faustus's studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue.
6. What do the scholars decide to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
7. How does Faustus react to the Good and Bad Angels' fight for his soul?
8. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
9. What is Faustus's background?
10. What happens when the Good Angel and Bad Angel appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze "Dr. Faustus" as a morality play.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
Essay Topic 3
"Dr. Faustus" employs different styles of writing. When is blank verse used? When is rhymed verse used? Which characters speak in blank verse? Which characters speak in rhymed verse? What does the use of different writing styles signify within the text?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)