|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Who tells Faustus that it is not too late to turn back?
3. What specific topic does Faustus begin to study, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
4. Why is Wagner's first offer of payment so offensive to the Clown?
5. What does Robin's friend want to use the book for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faustus offer at the end of Act 1, Scene 3? Why does he make this offer?
2. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus send Wagner to do, and why?
4. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
5. What is Robin carrying at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2? Why does it make him happy?
6. What happens when Faustus commands Mephastophilis to act as his servant?
7. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus ask Lucifer, and how does Lucifer respond?
8. What does Robin intend to use Faustus's book for?
9. What do the scholars decide to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
10. What does Faustus do as a storm draws near?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Besides Dr. Faustus, who in this play sins? How do they sin? How are they punished?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
Essay Topic 3
Choose and analyze one of the symbols in "Dr. Faustus", citing textual examples.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)