|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Clown react to the appearance of the devils in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Why does Mephastophilis refuse to continue discussing God and heaven?
3. What do the scholars want Faustus to do?
4. Why is Wagner's first offer of payment so offensive to the Clown?
5. Who is the main character in the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What is Faustus's final request?
3. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
4. What is Faustus's background?
5. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
6. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
7. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
8. Why is the Vintner unable to find the silver goblet?
9. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
10. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the advice of Good Angel and the Bad Angel in "Dr. Faustus". How do they emphasize the duality of mankind?
Essay Topic 3
Why was Dr. Faustus controversial when it was published? How did the period affect the way that the book was received in society?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)