|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the scholars want Faustus to do?
2. Who appears after Faustus finishes his incantation?
3. What does the Clown agree to do after the devils leave in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What do Faustus and Mephastophilis discuss in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Why is Wagner's first offer of payment so offensive to the Clown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
2. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to yield to his desires?
3. How do the scholars feel about what Faustus is doing in Act 1, Scene 1? Why?
4. What does the Clown do after the devils are gone?
5. How does Faustus feel about the Seven Deadly Sins?
6. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus ask Lucifer, and how does Lucifer respond?
7. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
8. What happens when Faustus commands Mephastophilis to act as his servant?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus consider studying, and why?
10. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme of necromancy instigate the action of "Dr. Faustus"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
Essay Topic 3
Choose and analyze one of the symbols in "Dr. Faustus", citing textual examples.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)