|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Good and Bad Angels come to Faustus?
2. When will Lucifer return to grant Faustus's request?
3. Why do the scholars feel the way they do about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
4. Where does Faustus go to study?
5. Why does Mephastophilis not want to answer Faustus's questions in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus send Wagner to do, and why?
2. What changes does Faustus make in his studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
3. What does Robin intend to use Faustus's book for?
4. How does Mephastophilis respond when Faustus questions him about hell, heaven, and God?
5. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
6. What does Faustus offer at the end of Act 1, Scene 3? Why does he make this offer?
7. What does Faustus ask for at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What does Faustus do as a storm draws near?
9. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
10. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Dr. Faustus" employs different styles of writing. When is blank verse used? When is rhymed verse used? Which characters speak in blank verse? Which characters speak in rhymed verse? What does the use of different writing styles signify within the text?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lucifer and Dr. Faustus, providing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)