|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the term "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue allude?
2. How does Faustus do in his studies?
3. Why do the scholars feel the way they do about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
4. What does Mephastophilis tell Faustus when he returns to Faustus's house in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does the Good Angel advise Faustus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wagner tell the scholars about Faustus?
2. What do the scholars decide to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
3. Describe Faustus's studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue.
4. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to yield to his desires?
5. What changes does Faustus make in his studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
6. How does Faustus react to the Good and Bad Angels' fight for his soul?
7. What does Robin tell Rafe when Rafe arrives in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
9. What happens after the Angels leave in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lucifer and Dr. Faustus, providing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Why was Dr. Faustus controversial when it was published? How did the period affect the way that the book was received in society?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze one of the metaphors in "Dr. Faustus" in depth.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)