|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus decide after considering whether he should repent?
2. Who does Faustus want to see to help him choose his course of studies?
3. What does Faustus question Mephastophilis about in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How does Faustus feel about the sight of the demon in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
2. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
3. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
4. How does Faustus feel during the last hour of his life?
5. What happens after the Angels leave in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
7. What part does the knight play in Act 4, Scene 1?
8. How does Carolus react to Faustus's feats?
9. Describe Faustus's studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue.
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus send Wagner to do, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the advice of Good Angel and the Bad Angel in "Dr. Faustus". How do they emphasize the duality of mankind?
Essay Topic 2
Choose and analyze one of the symbols in "Dr. Faustus", citing textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Latin used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters speak Latin, and what does this signify about them?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)