|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Faustus that he can sleep with any woman on earth from any time?
2. How many scholars appear in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who appears after Faustus finishes his incantation?
4. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Faustus's thoughts soon turn away from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning behind the allusion of "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue?
2. How does Rafe feel about Robin's book? Why?
3. What does Robin intend to use Faustus's book for?
4. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is Faustus's background?
6. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
7. What happens when Mephastophilis returns in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
9. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus send Wagner to do, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is comedy used in "Dr. Faustus"? Which characters are comic? Which scenes are comic?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
Essay Topic 3
Besides Dr. Faustus, who in this play sins? How do they sin? How are they punished?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)