|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do the scholars ask about in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does Faustus consider in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What does Robin offer his friend?
5. What must Faustus use to sign the contract?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus ask Lucifer, and how does Lucifer respond?
2. What does Faustus ask for at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What happens when Mephastophilis returns in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does the Clown do after the devils are gone?
5. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to yield to his desires?
6. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus consider studying, and why?
7. What happens when Faustus commands Mephastophilis to act as his servant?
8. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
9. What is the meaning behind the allusion of "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue?
10. How does Mephastophilis respond when Faustus questions him about hell, heaven, and God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lucifer and Dr. Faustus, providing specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
"Dr. Faustus" employs different styles of writing. When is blank verse used? When is rhymed verse used? Which characters speak in blank verse? Which characters speak in rhymed verse? What does the use of different writing styles signify within the text?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)