|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Robin first appear in "Dr. Faustus"?
2. What does the Clown think about Wagner's offer?
3. What must Faustus use to sign the contract?
4. Who appears after Faustus finishes his incantation?
5. What does Faustus question Mephastophilis about in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Clown do after the devils are gone?
2. How do the scholars feel about what Faustus is doing in Act 1, Scene 1? Why?
3. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
4. What is the meaning behind the allusion of "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus consider studying, and why?
6. What does Wagner tell the scholars about Faustus?
7. Describe Faustus's studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue.
8. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
9. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus ask Lucifer, and how does Lucifer respond?
10. What happens when the Good Angel and Bad Angel appear in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the chorus in "Dr. Faustus"? What role do they play? Why are they important?
Essay Topic 2
Choose and analyze one of the symbols in "Dr. Faustus", citing textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of magic in "Dr. Faustus".
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)