|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At Robin's house.
(c) At the house of the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt.
(d) The private chambers of the Pope.
2. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) Kill the Duke of Vanholt.
(b) Get the best grapes that the Duchess of Vanholt has ever tasted.
(c) Summon Helen of Troy.
(d) Summon Alexander the Great.
3. What do Robin and Rafe do out of fear of Mephastophilis?
(a) They are not afraid of Mephastophilis.
(b) Return Faustus's book.
(c) Apologize to the Vintner.
(d) Confess to stealing the silver goblet.
4. What does the Horse-Courser want when he returns?
(a) To take a nap.
(b) A different horse.
(c) To be taught how to summon demons.
(d) A refund.
5. Whom does Faustus send to accomplish Carolus' request?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
2. What do Mephastophilis and Faustus do to the people singing a dirge at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
4. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
5. Whom does Faustus talk to at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
2. How does Faustus react to the Duchess of Vanholt's craving, and why?
3. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
4. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
5. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
6. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
7. At the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1, what does Faustus want, and why?
8. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
9. What are Robin and Rafe doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
10. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)