|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faustus send his guests to a different room during the last hour of his life?
(a) To pray for him in safety.
(b) To eat dinner.
(c) To get them away from him.
(d) To offer as a sacrifice in exchange for his soul.
2. What does Faustus think about during the last hour of his life?
(a) He misses his family.
(b) He regrets never marrying.
(c) He regrets his decision to sell his soul to the devil.
(d) He wishes he had slept with more women.
3. What is said about Faustus in the Epilogue?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is still alive.
(c) He gains forgiveness from God.
(d) He is evil.
4. How does the Old Man send the devils away?
(a) By screaming.
(b) He runs away from them because he cannot send them away.
(c) With his intelligence.
(d) With the power of his faith.
5. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
(a) Borrow Mephastophilis to act as his servant.
(b) Steal Faustus's money.
(c) Buy Faustus's horse.
(d) Fight Faustus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Who threatens to tear Faustus apart in Act 5, Scene 1?
3. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
4. How do the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt feel about Faustus's feat?
5. What is Faustus discussing with his guests in Act 5, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
2. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
3. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
4. How does Faustus explain his ability to procure grapes for the Duchess of Vanholt?
5. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
6. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
7. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
8. What are Robin and Rafe doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
9. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
10. Whom does Faustus command to adhere to Carolus's request in Act 4, Scene 4?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)