|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Chorus say that Faustus was damned?
(a) He hated everyone.
(b) He was a murderer.
(c) He was not damned.
(d) He wanted too much from life.
2. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
(a) Loan him money.
(b) Describe hell.
(c) Summon Mephastophilis.
(d) Produce a spirit.
3. Whom does Faustus summon from the dead in Act 5, Scene 1?
(b) Alexander the Great.
(c) Helen of Troy.
(d) King Arthur.
4. Who does the Pope think Faustus is?
(a) A ghost.
(b) A demon.
5. Why does Faustus refuse to pray?
(a) Because he is too stubborn and will not repent.
(b) Because he is too tired.
(c) Because he wants to go to hell.
(d) Because he believes he cannot be forgiven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seizes the Horse-Courser?
2. Who appears when Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
3. When does Faustus claim that he is going to die?
4. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
5. How do the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt feel about Faustus's feat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
2. What does the Old Man tell Faustus, and how does Faustus respond?
3. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
4. Why is the Vintner unable to find the silver goblet?
5. How does Faustus feel during the last hour of his life?
6. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
7. Why does Mephastophilis attack the Horse-Courser?
8. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
9. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
10. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)