|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Old Man want at the end of Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) To see hell.
(b) To die.
(c) Helen of Troy for himself.
(d) To save Faustus.
2. Where are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At the house of the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt.
(c) At Robin's house.
(d) The private chambers of the Pope.
3. Who enters the room with a large retinue of attendants in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Helen of Troy.
(c) The Pope.
4. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
(a) The Duchess of Vanholt.
(c) The Duke of Vanholt.
(d) A knight.
5. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
(a) Describe hell.
(b) Summon Mephastophilis.
(c) Loan him money.
(d) Produce a spirit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to tear Faustus apart in Act 5, Scene 1?
2. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
3. Who is awestruck at the end of Act 4, Scene 3?
4. Who does Faustus say retrieved the grapes?
5. How does Faustus respond to Carolus' request at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Chorus explain in the Epilogue?
2. What does Faustus do when the Pope enters his private chambers?
3. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
4. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
5. Why is the Vintner unable to find the silver goblet?
6. Where are Faustus and Mephastophilis at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1? What are they doing?
7. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
8. How do the churchmen react to Faustus's invisible actions?
9. What part does the knight play in Act 4, Scene 1?
10. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)