|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Carolus promise Faustus in Act 4, Scene 1 after Faustus adheres to Carolus' request?
(b) A kingdom.
(c) A great reward.
(d) A wife.
2. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
(a) Wagner does not believe that Faustus is preparing to die.
(b) Faustus has been praying lately.
(c) Faustus refuses to see anyone.
(d) Faustus gave Wagner all of his possessions.
3. What does Faustus say when the Horse-Courser attacks him toward the end of Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) He asks the attacker to leave him alone.
(b) He wants the attacker to die.
(c) He tells Mephastophilis to do something about him.
(d) He hits his attacker.
4. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
(a) Because the Horse-Courser gives him more money.
(b) Faustus does not allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully.
(c) Because Faustus hopes God will forgive him if he acts morally.
(d) Because the Horse-Courser asks nicely.
5. Who arrives in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
(d) A horse-courser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
2. What does Faustus do when the Horse-Courser leaves?
3. Who enters the room with a large retinue of attendants in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What is being carried as Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
5. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
2. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
3. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
4. Why does Faustus summon Helen of Troy during the scholars' visit?
5. Whom does Faustus command to adhere to Carolus's request in Act 4, Scene 4?
6. In Act 3, Scene 2, why is Mephastophilis summoned, and what happens when he is summoned?
7. Why does Faustus refuse to pray to God in Act 5, Scene 2?
8. Why does the Horse-Course return to Faustus?
9. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
10. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)