|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Wagner and the Clown enter "Dr. Faustus" together?
(a) At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
(b) At the end of Act 1, Scene 4.
(c) At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4.
(d) At the end of Act 1, Scene 3.
2. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Whether to get married.
(b) Which friend to ask for advice.
(c) Whether to quit school.
(d) Which way to turn his studies.
3. How does Mephastophilis react to Faustus's offer?
(a) He refuses immediately.
(b) He tells Faustus it is a bad idea.
(c) He is interested and returns to hell to see if Lucifer will accept the offer.
(d) He disappears without responding.
4. What do the first set of books that Mephastophilis gives Faustus allow Faustus to do?
(a) Control women.
(b) Go anywhere he wants by thinking about the place.
(c) Give him power over all the other demons and knowledge of the universe.
(d) Control the weather and summon troops of knights.
5. How do the scholars feel about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are alarmed.
(c) They do not care.
(d) They do not want to be friends with Faustus anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will Lucifer return to grant Faustus's request?
2. To whom does Lucifer offer to introduce Faustus?
3. What does the Clown think about Wagner's offer?
4. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
5. Who shows Faustus the things he has sold his soul for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Clown do after the devils are gone?
2. What is Faustus's background?
3. Describe Faustus's studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue.
4. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
5. How does the Clown feel about Wagner's offer?
6. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to yield to his desires?
7. What changes does Faustus make in his studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
8. What happens when Faustus commands Mephastophilis to act as his servant?
9. What is Robin carrying at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2? Why does it make him happy?
10. How does Mephastophilis respond when Faustus questions him about hell, heaven, and God?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)