|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephastophilis react to Faustus's offer?
(a) He refuses immediately.
(b) He tells Faustus it is a bad idea.
(c) He is interested and returns to hell to see if Lucifer will accept the offer.
(d) He disappears without responding.
2. Why does Mephastophilis refuse to continue discussing God and heaven?
(a) Because Lucifer will punish him.
(b) Mephastophilis does not refuse to discuss God and heaven.
(c) Remembering the happiness of heaven and his time with God is too painful.
(d) Because he is afraid Faustus will back out of his deal with Lucifer.
3. How does Faustus feel about the benefits of selling his soul?
(b) Overjoyed because he can truly enjoy life now.
(d) Like he has betrayed God.
4. Whom is Faustus waiting for in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) The Good Angel.
(c) The Bad Angel.
5. Who tells Faustus that it is not too late to turn back?
(a) The Bad Angel.
(c) The Good Angel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Valdes and Cornelius?
2. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
3. To what does the term "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue allude?
4. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
5. Where does Faustus grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus consider studying, and why?
2. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
3. What does Faustus do as a storm draws near?
4. What is the meaning behind the allusion of "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue?
5. What is Faustus's background?
6. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
7. What changes does Faustus make in his studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
8. What does Wagner tell the scholars about Faustus?
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus send Wagner to do, and why?
10. How does Faustus react to the Good and Bad Angels' fight for his soul?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)