|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the first set of books that Mephastophilis gives Faustus allow Faustus to do?
(a) Give him power over all the other demons and knowledge of the universe.
(b) Control the weather and summon troops of knights.
(c) Go anywhere he wants by thinking about the place.
(d) Control women.
2. What does the Good Angel advise Faustus?
(a) To return home to his family.
(b) He does not advise Faustus of anything.
(c) To study magic.
(d) To continue with his regular studies.
3. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he does not want to study magic.
(b) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(c) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
(d) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
4. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Where Faustus has gone.
(b) Why Faustus is angry with them.
(c) Who Mephastophilis is.
(d) Why God made death.
5. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Which friend to ask for advice.
(b) Whether to quit school.
(c) Which way to turn his studies.
(d) Whether to get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Robin feel about his new acquisition?
2. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
3. What do Valdes and Cornelius advise Faustus to do?
4. How does Faustus feel about the benefits of selling his soul?
5. Why does Faustus offer this deal to Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wagner tell the scholars about Faustus?
2. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to yield to his desires?
3. How does Mephastophilis respond when Faustus questions him about hell, heaven, and God?
4. What happens after the Angels leave in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
6. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
7. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
8. What do the devils show Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What is Robin carrying at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2? Why does it make him happy?
10. What is Faustus's background?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)