|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephastophilis react to Faustus's offer?
(a) He disappears without responding.
(b) He tells Faustus it is a bad idea.
(c) He refuses immediately.
(d) He is interested and returns to hell to see if Lucifer will accept the offer.
2. Why does Faustus offer this deal to Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He is frightened of Mephastophilis.
(b) He is eager to learn magic.
(c) He does not offer a deal.
(d) In order to have the demon at his beck and call.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, who owned the object that Robin is carrying before Robin obtained it?
4. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That Faustus meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
(b) That Faustus resign the contract.
(c) That Mephastophilis answer Faustus's questions.
(d) No more questions about God and heaven.
5. When do Valdes and Cornelius arrive?
(a) In Act 1, Scene 2.
(b) At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1.
(c) In the Prologue.
(d) After the Good Angel and the Bad Angel leave Faustus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows Faustus the things he has sold his soul for?
2. What do Faustus and Mephastophilis discuss in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do?
4. What is the occupation of Valdes and Cornelius?
5. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus consider studying, and why?
2. What does Wagner think about Faustus's actions in Act 5, Scene 1?
3. What is the meaning behind the allusion of "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue?
4. What do the devils show Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Why are the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt impressed by Faustus's ability to procure grapes?
6. Describe Faustus's studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue.
7. What happens when the Horse-Courser offers to buy Faustus's horse?
8. What does Faustus offer at the end of Act 1, Scene 3? Why does he make this offer?
9. What important allusions are used in the Epilogue, and what do they signify?
10. How does Mephastophilis react to being summoned by Robin and Rafe?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)