|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mephastophilis refuse to continue discussing God and heaven?
(a) Mephastophilis does not refuse to discuss God and heaven.
(b) Because Lucifer will punish him.
(c) Remembering the happiness of heaven and his time with God is too painful.
(d) Because he is afraid Faustus will back out of his deal with Lucifer.
2. What do Valdes and Cornelius advise Faustus to do?
(a) Continue his normal studies.
(b) Study magic.
(c) Get married.
(d) Quit school.
3. What is Robin's occupation?
4. What does Robin intend to use the book for?
(a) To offer his soul to Lucifer.
(b) To make women dance naked in front of him and pleasure him.
(c) To find a wife.
(d) To make thunderstorms.
5. What do the scholars want Faustus to do?
(a) Help them study.
(b) Quit his magical studies.
(c) Quit school.
(d) Loan them money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Valdes and Cornelius arrive?
2. What does Mephastophilis tell Faustus when he returns to Faustus's house in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What will Robin's book allow him to do?
4. What does Faustus's thoughts soon turn away from?
5. Why does Faustus offer this deal to Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the scholars decide to do at the end of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
2. What does Faustus offer at the end of Act 1, Scene 3? Why does he make this offer?
3. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does Faustus consider studying, and why?
5. What happens when Faustus commands Mephastophilis to act as his servant?
6. What does Faustus think about as he waits in his study for Mephastophilis to return?
7. What does the Clown do after the devils are gone?
8. What does Wagner tell the scholars about Faustus?
9. What does Faustus do as a storm draws near?
10. What are Wagner and the Clown discussing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)