|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mephastophilis refuse to continue discussing God and heaven?
(a) Mephastophilis does not refuse to discuss God and heaven.
(b) Because Lucifer will punish him.
(c) Because he is afraid Faustus will back out of his deal with Lucifer.
(d) Remembering the happiness of heaven and his time with God is too painful.
2. Why does Faustus offer this deal to Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He is eager to learn magic.
(b) In order to have the demon at his beck and call.
(c) He is frightened of Mephastophilis.
(d) He does not offer a deal.
3. Who is the main character in the play?
(a) Dr. John Faustus.
4. How do the scholars feel about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
(a) They do not want to be friends with Faustus anymore.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are alarmed.
(d) They do not care.
5. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
(b) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(c) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
(d) None of these is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Clown beg Wagner to do about the devils in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the status of Faustus's parents?
5. What is Robin's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Robin carrying at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2? Why does it make him happy?
2. How does Rafe feel about Robin's book? Why?
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus ask Lucifer, and how does Lucifer respond?
4. What do the devils show Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to yield to his desires?
6. Why does Lucifer arrive in Act 2, Scene 3? What happens when Lucifer arrives?
7. What does Robin tell Rafe when Rafe arrives in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What does Faustus ask for at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What changes does Faustus make in his studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
10. Why do the scholars ask for Faustus, and whom do they ask?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)