|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the Pope think Faustus is?
(b) A ghost.
(d) A demon.
2. What is the setting of Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) The house of the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt.
(b) The woods.
(c) Faustus's house.
(d) Carolus's house.
3. What does the Old Man want at the end of Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) To see hell.
(b) To save Faustus.
(c) To die.
(d) Helen of Troy for himself.
4. Who enters with Faustus in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) Three scholars.
5. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
(a) The Duchess of Vanholt.
(b) The Duke of Vanholt.
(c) A knight.
6. What does the Duke of Vanholt promise?
(a) To reward Faustus for his feat.
(b) To find a wife for Faustus.
(c) To invite Faustus to visit again soon.
(d) To never forget Faustus.
7. What happens at midnight in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) Devils arrive to take Faustus to hell.
(b) The scholars scream.
(c) Faustus begins praying to God for forgiveness.
(d) Faustus dies.
8. What does Mephastophilis warn the Horse-Courser not to do?
(a) Wake Faustus up.
(b) Buy another horse from Faustus.
(c) Yell at the horse.
(d) Eat Faustus's food.
9. What is the Vintner searching for?
(a) A book.
(b) His silver goblet.
(c) Helen of Troy.
(d) His money.
10. How does Carolus feel about Faustus's trick on his subject?
(a) Carolus is angry.
(b) It amuses Carolus greatly.
(c) Carolus thinks Faustus is insolent.
(d) It increases Faustus's standing in Carolus's eyes.
11. Why does Faustus refuse to pray?
(a) Because he wants to go to hell.
(b) Because he is too tired.
(c) Because he is too stubborn and will not repent.
(d) Because he believes he cannot be forgiven.
12. What does Faustus do to make the churchmen leave the room?
(a) Steal the Pope's food.
(b) The churchmen do not leave.
(c) Boxes the Pope's ears.
(d) Laugh very loud.
13. From where does Mephastophilis retrieve Alexander the Great?
14. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
(a) Fight Faustus.
(b) Buy Faustus's horse.
(c) Steal Faustus's money.
(d) Borrow Mephastophilis to act as his servant.
15. Which human arrives in the middle of Act 3, Scene 2?
(c) The Vintner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Carolus and Faustus at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
2. What does Wagner feel that Faustus should be doing at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
3. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
4. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
5. What does Faustus do when the Pope arrives?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)