|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carolus feel about Faustus's trick on his subject?
(a) Carolus is angry.
(b) Carolus thinks Faustus is insolent.
(c) It increases Faustus's standing in Carolus's eyes.
(d) It amuses Carolus greatly.
2. What happens at midnight in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) Devils arrive to take Faustus to hell.
(b) Faustus dies.
(c) Faustus begins praying to God for forgiveness.
(d) The scholars scream.
3. What is said about Faustus in the Epilogue?
(a) He is evil.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is still alive.
(d) He gains forgiveness from God.
4. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
(a) Produce a spirit.
(b) Summon Mephastophilis.
(c) Describe hell.
(d) Loan him money.
5. How does Carolus feel about Faustus's trick?
6. What is Faustus discussing with his guests in Act 5, Scene 1?
(b) The fine ladies in the world.
7. Who is taken with Faustus in Act 4, Scene 3?
(b) The Duke of Vanholt.
(c) The Duchess of Vanholt.
8. How does the Pope react to Faustus's actions?
(a) Hides behind a curtain.
(c) Crosses himself.
(d) Runs away.
9. Whom does Faustus send to accomplish Carolus' request?
10. Where are Carolus and Faustus at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) At dinner.
(b) At breakfast.
(c) At the theater.
(d) In hell.
11. How is the object being carried in Act 3, Scene 2 obtained?
(a) It is stolen from the Vintner.
(b) It is bought.
(c) It is received as a gift.
(d) It is found in the trash.
12. What does Faustus think about during the last hour of his life?
(a) He wishes he had slept with more women.
(b) He regrets his decision to sell his soul to the devil.
(c) He misses his family.
(d) He regrets never marrying.
13. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
(a) Fight Faustus.
(b) Steal Faustus's money.
(c) Borrow Mephastophilis to act as his servant.
(d) Buy Faustus's horse.
14. How does the Old Man send the devils away?
(a) With his intelligence.
(b) By screaming.
(c) With the power of his faith.
(d) He runs away from them because he cannot send them away.
15. What does Faustus do to make the churchmen leave the room?
(a) Boxes the Pope's ears.
(b) Steal the Pope's food.
(c) Laugh very loud.
(d) The churchmen do not leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is being carried as Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
2. Who appears in the Epilogue?
3. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
4. What is the Vintner searching for?
5. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)