|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who threatens to tear Faustus apart in Act 5, Scene 1?
(b) The Bad Angel.
(d) The Old Man.
2. Whom does Carolus want to see in Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) Alexander the Great and his paramour.
(c) Helen of Troy.
3. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
(a) Wagner does not believe that Faustus is preparing to die.
(b) Faustus gave Wagner all of his possessions.
(c) Faustus has been praying lately.
(d) Faustus refuses to see anyone.
4. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
(a) The Duke of Vanholt.
(c) The Duchess of Vanholt.
(d) A knight.
5. Why does the Chorus say that Faustus was damned?
(a) He hated everyone.
(b) He wanted too much from life.
(c) He was a murderer.
(d) He was not damned.
6. From where does Mephastophilis retrieve Alexander the Great?
7. What does Mephastophilis do to Robin and Rafe as punishment for meddling?
(a) Beats them.
(b) Turns them into an ape and a dog.
(c) Kills them.
(d) Sends them to hell.
8. What does Faustus speak of after talking to the Old Man?
(b) God and forgiveness.
(c) His pending death.
(d) His friends.
9. Why does Faustus refuse to pray?
(a) Because he is too stubborn and will not repent.
(b) Because he believes he cannot be forgiven.
(c) Because he is too tired.
(d) Because he wants to go to hell.
10. Why does the Horse-Courser offer Faustus more money?
(a) To give him some food.
(b) To command Mephastophilis to let him go.
(c) To sell him another horse.
(d) To allow him to sleep there.
11. Where does Faustus say he got the grapes?
(d) Another place in the world where it is summer.
12. Why does Faustus make his odd request in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Because he has heard how beautiful Helen of Troy is.
(b) Because he is hungry.
(c) So that he can do whatever he pleases.
(d) Because he is curious.
13. How does the Old Man send the devils away?
(a) By screaming.
(b) With the power of his faith.
(c) With his intelligence.
(d) He runs away from them because he cannot send them away.
14. Why does the Horse-Courser return soaking wet?
(a) He rode the horse into water and it disappeared.
(b) It started raining.
(c) The horse spit on him.
(d) He fell off the horse.
15. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Pope think Faustus is?
2. Who is waiting in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
3. How do the Duke and Duchess of Vanholt feel about Faustus's feat?
4. Who does Faustus play a joke on in Act 4, Scene 1?
5. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)