|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carolus feel about Faustus's trick on his subject?
(a) It amuses Carolus greatly.
(b) Carolus is angry.
(c) It increases Faustus's standing in Carolus's eyes.
(d) Carolus thinks Faustus is insolent.
2. How is the object being carried in Act 3, Scene 2 obtained?
(a) It is bought.
(b) It is found in the trash.
(c) It is stolen from the Vintner.
(d) It is received as a gift.
3. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) The Pope.
4. Where was Mephastophilis when Robin and Rafe summoned him?
5. What does Faustus do to make the churchmen leave the room?
(a) The churchmen do not leave.
(b) Boxes the Pope's ears.
(c) Laugh very loud.
(d) Steal the Pope's food.
6. Who threatens to tear Faustus apart in Act 5, Scene 1?
(c) The Old Man.
(d) The Bad Angel.
7. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
(a) Summon Mephastophilis.
(b) Loan him money.
(c) Produce a spirit.
(d) Describe hell.
8. What does the Horse-Courser want when he returns?
(a) A refund.
(b) To be taught how to summon demons.
(c) A different horse.
(d) To take a nap.
9. How does Faustus respond to Carolus' request at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) He complies.
(b) He refuses.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He leaves angrily.
10. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
(a) A knight.
(b) The Duchess of Vanholt.
(d) The Duke of Vanholt.
11. What is said about Faustus in the Epilogue?
(a) He gains forgiveness from God.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is evil.
(d) He is still alive.
12. Who appears in the Epilogue?
(a) The Chorus.
13. What does Faustus say when the Horse-Courser attacks him toward the end of Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) He tells Mephastophilis to do something about him.
(b) He asks the attacker to leave him alone.
(c) He hits his attacker.
(d) He wants the attacker to die.
14. What does the Duke of Vanholt promise?
(a) To reward Faustus for his feat.
(b) To find a wife for Faustus.
(c) To never forget Faustus.
(d) To invite Faustus to visit again soon.
15. What are Faustus and Mephastophilis doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) Signing Faustus's contract with Lucifer.
(b) Preparing to return to Wittenberg.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Waiting to meet the Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Faustus send to accomplish Carolus' request?
2. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do in Act 4, Scene 3?
3. What are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting for at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
4. When does Faustus claim that he is going to die?
5. What is Faustus's last request?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)