|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Faustus eager to please in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) The Duke of Vanholt.
(c) The pregnant Duchess of Vanholt.
2. What does Wagner feel that Faustus should be doing at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) Preparing his soul for heaven.
(c) Visiting family.
3. Why does Faustus refuse to pray?
(a) Because he is too tired.
(b) Because he wants to go to hell.
(c) Because he is too stubborn and will not repent.
(d) Because he believes he cannot be forgiven.
4. What is the Vintner searching for?
(a) His silver goblet.
(b) Helen of Troy.
(c) A book.
(d) His money.
5. What does Faustus speak of after talking to the Old Man?
(a) His pending death.
(b) God and forgiveness.
(c) His friends.
6. Who arrives in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
(c) A horse-courser.
7. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
(a) Loan him money.
(b) Summon Mephastophilis.
(c) Describe hell.
(d) Produce a spirit.
8. Where is Faustus, according to the Epilogue?
9. Why does the Horse-Courser offer Faustus more money?
(a) To command Mephastophilis to let him go.
(b) To sell him another horse.
(c) To allow him to sleep there.
(d) To give him some food.
10. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
(a) Buy Faustus's horse.
(b) Steal Faustus's money.
(c) Fight Faustus.
(d) Borrow Mephastophilis to act as his servant.
11. What does the Duke of Vanholt promise?
(a) To invite Faustus to visit again soon.
(b) To never forget Faustus.
(c) To reward Faustus for his feat.
(d) To find a wife for Faustus.
12. How does the Pope react to Faustus's actions?
(a) Hides behind a curtain.
(b) Runs away.
(d) Crosses himself.
13. What does Mephastophilis do to Robin and Rafe as punishment for meddling?
(a) Beats them.
(b) Kills them.
(c) Turns them into an ape and a dog.
(d) Sends them to hell.
14. Whom does Carolus want to see in Act 4, Scene 1?
(b) Helen of Troy.
(c) Alexander the Great and his paramour.
15. Who is waiting in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Faustus and Mephastophilis.
(b) The Good Angel and the Bad Angel.
(c) The pope and his friars.
(d) Rafe and Robin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Horse-Courser want when he returns?
2. Why does Robin cast a spell?
3. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
4. What does Faustus do when the Pope arrives?
5. What is being carried as Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)