|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faustus say when the Horse-Courser attacks him toward the end of Act 4, Scene 2?
(a) He asks the attacker to leave him alone.
(b) He hits his attacker.
(c) He tells Mephastophilis to do something about him.
(d) He wants the attacker to die.
2. What does Faustus think about during the last hour of his life?
(a) He regrets never marrying.
(b) He regrets his decision to sell his soul to the devil.
(c) He misses his family.
(d) He wishes he had slept with more women.
3. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
4. What does Wagner feel that Faustus should be doing at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) Preparing his soul for heaven.
(d) Visiting family.
5. What is said about Faustus in the Epilogue?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He gains forgiveness from God.
(c) He is evil.
(d) He is still alive.
6. Who does Faustus say retrieved the grapes?
(b) Helen of Troy.
(c) A spirit.
7. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) Kill the Duke of Vanholt.
(b) Summon Alexander the Great.
(c) Get the best grapes that the Duchess of Vanholt has ever tasted.
(d) Summon Helen of Troy.
8. What does Mephastophilis warn the Horse-Courser not to do?
(a) Buy another horse from Faustus.
(b) Yell at the horse.
(c) Wake Faustus up.
(d) Eat Faustus's food.
9. What is odd about Faustus's feat in Act 4, Scene 3?
(a) He does it for someone else.
(b) He reads the Duchess of Vanholt's mind.
(c) There are no grapes available anywhere because it is the middle of winter.
10. Why does Wagner believe that Faustus is preparing to die?
(a) Faustus has been praying lately.
(b) Faustus refuses to see anyone.
(c) Wagner does not believe that Faustus is preparing to die.
(d) Faustus gave Wagner all of his possessions.
11. Where are Carolus and Faustus at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) In hell.
(b) At breakfast.
(c) At dinner.
(d) At the theater.
12. How does Faustus respond to Carolus' request at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) He refuses.
(b) He complies.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He leaves angrily.
13. Whom is Faustus eager to please in Act 4, Scene 3?
(c) The pregnant Duchess of Vanholt.
(d) The Duke of Vanholt.
14. Why does the new arrival in Act 4, Scene 1 approach Faustus?
(a) Steal Faustus's money.
(b) Buy Faustus's horse.
(c) Borrow Mephastophilis to act as his servant.
(d) Fight Faustus.
15. What are Mephastophilis and Faustus waiting for at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) To go to sleep.
(b) To meet the Pope.
(c) To eat dinner.
(d) To retrieve Faustus's book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives after Faustus's first guests leave in Act 5, Scene 1?
2. From where does Mephastophilis retrieve Alexander the Great?
3. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
4. What is the Vintner searching for?
5. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)