|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who seizes the Horse-Courser?
2. How does the Old Man send the devils away?
(a) With his intelligence.
(b) He runs away from them because he cannot send them away.
(c) With the power of his faith.
(d) By screaming.
3. Who is cynical of Faustus's abilities?
(b) The Duke of Vanholt.
(c) The Duchess of Vanholt.
(d) A knight.
4. What does Carolus ask Faustus to do at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) Visit again often.
(b) Summon Helen of Troy.
(c) Remove the horns from the knight's head.
(d) Take him to see hell.
5. Which Greek god(dess) is alluded to in the Epilogue?
6. Who arrives in the beginning of Act 4, Scene 2?
(b) A horse-courser.
7. Why does Faustus send his guests to a different room during the last hour of his life?
(a) To get them away from him.
(b) To offer as a sacrifice in exchange for his soul.
(c) To pray for him in safety.
(d) To eat dinner.
8. Why does Faustus allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully?
(a) Because the Horse-Courser gives him more money.
(b) Faustus does not allow the Horse-Courser to leave peacefully.
(c) Because Faustus hopes God will forgive him if he acts morally.
(d) Because the Horse-Courser asks nicely.
9. What is being carried as Act 3, Scene 2 opens?
(b) A candle stick.
(c) A silver goblet.
(d) A book.
10. Whom does Faustus send to accomplish Carolus' request?
11. Why does Faustus refuse to pray?
(a) Because he wants to go to hell.
(b) Because he is too stubborn and will not repent.
(c) Because he is too tired.
(d) Because he believes he cannot be forgiven.
12. What is Faustus doing at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3?
13. Who returns to the room, singing a dirge, in Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Pope.
14. Why does Robin cast a spell?
(a) To keep the Vintner from finding the silver goblet.
(b) Because he wants to escape.
(c) Because the Vintner says he cannot do it.
(d) Because he wants to try.
15. Where is Faustus, according to the Epilogue?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephastophilis warn the Horse-Courser not to do?
2. What is the setting of Act 4, Scene 3?
3. What does Faustus speak of after talking to the Old Man?
4. What does Mephastophilis do to Robin and Rafe as punishment for meddling?
5. What do Mephastophilis and Faustus do to the people singing a dirge at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)