|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Clown agree to do after the devils leave in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Practice magic.
(b) Go to hell.
(c) Be Wagner's servant.
(d) Work for Faustus.
2. How do the scholars feel about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
(a) They are alarmed.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They do not care.
(d) They do not want to be friends with Faustus anymore.
3. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) They stay at Faustus's house.
(b) To attend a play.
(c) To practice their magical skills.
(d) To find women.
4. What is Robin's occupation?
5. What does Faustus ask to see in Act 2, Scene 3?
(b) Ancient Greece.
(d) Helen of Troy.
6. What set of books does Faustus ask for?
(a) Books to control women.
(b) Books to control the weather.
(c) Books to give him power over all the other demons and knowledge of the entire earth and universe.
(d) Books to summon troops of knights.
7. What does the Clown think about Wagner's offer?
(a) He does not hear Wagner's offer.
(b) He attempts to negotiate his rates.
(c) He is eager to accept Wagner's offer.
(d) He is not interested in the job.
8. What are the names of the devils that appear in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Baliol and Belcher.
(b) Wagner and Faustus.
(c) Mephastophilis and Lucifer.
(d) Rafe and Robin.
9. What does Robin offer his friend?
(a) A woman.
(b) A chance to use the book.
(c) Money to keep his secret.
10. Why does Mephastophilis leave Faustus?
(a) Because he is tired.
(b) Because it is daylight.
(c) Because he is disgusted with the persistent questions about God and heaven.
(d) Because Wagner summons him.
11. Whom does Mephastophilis say that he serves?
12. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
(b) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(c) That he does not want to study magic.
(d) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
13. Who speaks in the Prologue?
(c) Good and Bad Angels.
(d) The chorus.
14. What does Faustus study?
15. What is necromancy?
(a) The art of summoning demons.
(b) The magical art of raising the dead.
(c) A relationship with God.
(d) Speaking to the devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do the scholars decide to visit at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What must Faustus use to sign the contract?
3. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. To whom does Lucifer offer to introduce Faustus?
5. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to acquiesce to his request?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)