|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
(b) None of these is correct.
(c) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(d) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
2. Who speaks in the Prologue?
(b) Good and Bad Angels.
(d) The chorus.
3. How does Robin feel about his new acquisition?
4. Why is Wagner's first offer of payment so offensive to the Clown?
(a) Because Wagner refuses to pay at all.
(b) Because French crowns are devalued to the point of being practically worthless.
(c) Because the Clown does not like Wagner.
(d) It is not offensive.
5. How does Robin's friend feel about Robin's offer?
6. Whom do the scholars decide to visit at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) The rector.
7. Whom does Mephastophilis say that he serves?
8. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
(a) Wagner must pay him more.
(b) Wagner must introduce him to Helen of Troy.
(c) Wagner must never summon devils again.
(d) Wagner must teach him to summon devils too.
9. What does the Bad Angel tell Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Reminds him of everything he can get out of his deal with the devil.
(b) That he should turn back from his deal.
(c) That he will go to hell if he does not back out of his deal.
10. What general topic does Faustus begin to study while neglecting his former studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
11. What does the Clown agree to do after the devils leave in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Practice magic.
(b) Go to hell.
(c) Be Wagner's servant.
(d) Work for Faustus.
12. What are the names of the devils that appear in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Wagner and Faustus.
(b) Mephastophilis and Lucifer.
(c) Rafe and Robin.
(d) Baliol and Belcher.
13. What does Faustus consider in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Praying for forgiveness.
(b) Backing out of his deal with the devil.
(c) Killing himself.
(d) Asking to meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
14. To whom do the scholars pose their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
15. What do the scholars assume Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius means?
(a) That Faustus is stupid.
(b) That Faustus is quitting school.
(c) That Faustus has made a deal with the devil.
(d) That Faustus is performing magic again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the scholars want Faustus to do?
2. When will Lucifer return to grant Faustus's request?
3. How many scholars appear in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
5. What does the Bad Angel advise Faustus to do?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)