|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who speaks in the Prologue?
(c) Good and Bad Angels.
(d) The chorus.
2. Why is Faustus tempted to study this?
(a) Because it would make his parents proud.
(b) Because of the power it would give him.
(c) Because Wagner suggests it.
(d) Because it sounds fun.
3. What is Faustus waiting to learn in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) If he is going to be expelled.
(b) If he should renege on his offer.
(c) If Mephastophilis will kill him.
(d) If Lucifer will accept his offer.
4. Who tells Faustus that he can sleep with any woman on earth from any time?
(a) The Bad Angel.
5. How does Faustus feel about the sight of the demon in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He is disgusted.
(d) He can only hear the demon, not see him.
6. What is the status of Faustus's parents?
7. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Which friend to ask for advice.
(b) Which way to turn his studies.
(c) Whether to get married.
(d) Whether to quit school.
8. How does Robin feel about his new acquisition?
9. How does Faustus feel about the benefits of selling his soul?
(a) Overjoyed because he can truly enjoy life now.
(c) Like he has betrayed God.
10. Why does Faustus offer this deal to Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) In order to have the demon at his beck and call.
(b) He is eager to learn magic.
(c) He does not offer a deal.
(d) He is frightened of Mephastophilis.
11. Why does Mephastophilis not want to answer Faustus's questions in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He will be punished if he talks about this topic.
(b) He does not want to remember how happy he was.
(c) He hates the topic.
(d) He does not know anything about the topic.
12. Who shows Faustus the things he has sold his soul for?
(c) The Bad Angel.
(d) A series of devils.
13. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
(b) None of these is correct.
(c) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(d) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
14. What does Wagner first offer the Clown as payment for his service?
(b) French crowns.
(c) American dollars.
(d) British pounds.
15. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he does not want to study magic.
(b) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(c) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
(d) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the first set of books that Mephastophilis gives Faustus allow Faustus to do?
2. Whom does Mephastophilis say that he serves?
3. How does Robin's friend feel about Robin's offer?
4. What does Faustus study?
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus decide after considering whether he should repent?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)