|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Bad Angel tell Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he will go to hell if he does not back out of his deal.
(b) Reminds him of everything he can get out of his deal with the devil.
(d) That he should turn back from his deal.
2. What do the scholars learn in response to their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That Faustus is in class.
(b) That Faustus is at dinner with Valdes and Cornelius.
(c) That they are being expelled.
(d) Their question is unanswered.
3. What will Robin's book allow him to do?
(a) Control the weather.
(b) Obtain knowledge of the universe.
(c) Conjure devils and enchant women to do his bidding.
(d) Travel to hell and back to earth.
4. What does Faustus consider in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Asking to meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
(b) Backing out of his deal with the devil.
(c) Killing himself.
(d) Praying for forgiveness.
5. What is Faustus waiting to learn in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) If Lucifer will accept his offer.
(b) If he should renege on his offer.
(c) If he is going to be expelled.
(d) If Mephastophilis will kill him.
6. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) That Faustus resign the contract.
(b) That Mephastophilis answer Faustus's questions.
(c) That Faustus meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
(d) No more questions about God and heaven.
7. How does Mephastophilis react to Faustus's offer?
(a) He tells Faustus it is a bad idea.
(b) He is interested and returns to hell to see if Lucifer will accept the offer.
(c) He refuses immediately.
(d) He disappears without responding.
8. What does Robin's friend want to use the book for?
(b) To sleep with a maid he is interested in.
(c) To make a lot of money.
(d) He wants to burn the book.
9. How does Faustus do in his studies?
(a) Financially well.
(b) Very poorly.
(d) He quits.
10. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do?
(a) Summon the Seven Deadly Sins.
(b) Give him powers.
(c) Act as his servant.
(d) Introduce him to Lucifer.
11. What does Faustus question Mephastophilis about in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The Good Angel and the Bad Angel.
(c) Hell, heaven, and God.
12. Why is Wagner's first offer of payment so offensive to the Clown?
(a) Because Wagner refuses to pay at all.
(b) It is not offensive.
(c) Because French crowns are devalued to the point of being practically worthless.
(d) Because the Clown does not like Wagner.
13. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Where Faustus has gone.
(b) Why Faustus is angry with them.
(c) Who Mephastophilis is.
(d) Why God made death.
14. What must Faustus use to sign the contract?
(a) His blood.
(b) A pencil.
(c) A chicken's blood.
(d) A pen.
15. What do the first set of books that Mephastophilis gives Faustus allow Faustus to do?
(a) Control the weather and summon troops of knights.
(b) Go anywhere he wants by thinking about the place.
(c) Give him power over all the other demons and knowledge of the universe.
(d) Control women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speaks in the Prologue?
2. Whom does Mephastophilis say that he serves?
3. Why do the Good and Bad Angels come to Faustus?
4. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Who shows Faustus the things he has sold his soul for?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)