|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) No more questions about God and heaven.
(b) That Mephastophilis answer Faustus's questions.
(c) That Faustus resign the contract.
(d) That Faustus meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
2. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
(a) Wagner must introduce him to Helen of Troy.
(b) Wagner must never summon devils again.
(c) Wagner must pay him more.
(d) Wagner must teach him to summon devils too.
3. What does the Good Angel advise Faustus?
(a) To return home to his family.
(b) To study magic.
(c) To continue with his regular studies.
(d) He does not advise Faustus of anything.
4. When do Wagner and the Clown enter "Dr. Faustus" together?
(a) At the end of Act 1, Scene 4.
(b) At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4.
(c) At the end of Act 1, Scene 3.
(d) At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
5. What is Robin carrying?
(a) A woman.
(b) A silver goblet.
(c) A devil.
(d) A book.
6. How does Faustus feel about the benefits of selling his soul?
(a) Like he has betrayed God.
(c) Overjoyed because he can truly enjoy life now.
7. When will Lucifer return to grant Faustus's request?
(a) Next month.
(b) On the new moon.
(d) In a year.
8. Where does Faustus go to study?
9. Whom do the scholars decide to visit at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(c) The rector.
10. Why does Mephastophilis leave Faustus?
(a) Because he is disgusted with the persistent questions about God and heaven.
(b) Because it is daylight.
(c) Because he is tired.
(d) Because Wagner summons him.
11. What is the status of Faustus's parents?
12. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Whether to get married.
(b) Whether to quit school.
(c) Which way to turn his studies.
(d) Which friend to ask for advice.
13. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(b) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
(c) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
(d) None of these is correct.
14. How does Mephastophilis react to Faustus's offer?
(a) He refuses immediately.
(b) He is interested and returns to hell to see if Lucifer will accept the offer.
(c) He tells Faustus it is a bad idea.
(d) He disappears without responding.
15. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus decide after considering whether he should repent?
(a) To back out of his deal with Lucifer.
(b) He cannot go to heaven anyway so he should just use the devil to obtain all of his earthly desires.
(c) He does not make a decision.
(d) To pray for forgiveness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Robin intend to use the book for?
3. Why is Faustus tempted to study this?
4. What does Faustus command the demon to reappear as?
5. What do Faustus and Mephastophilis discuss in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)