|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Faustus waiting for in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Bad Angel.
(c) The Good Angel.
2. What does Robin intend to use the book for?
(a) To make women dance naked in front of him and pleasure him.
(b) To offer his soul to Lucifer.
(c) To find a wife.
(d) To make thunderstorms.
3. What does Mephastophilis tell Faustus when he returns to Faustus's house in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That Faustus is a fool.
(b) That Lucifer refuses his offer.
(c) That Lucifer will accept the deal for Faustus's soul.
(d) That he will answer his questions about God and heaven.
4. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Whether to quit school.
(b) Whether to get married.
(c) Which way to turn his studies.
(d) Which friend to ask for advice.
5. What do the scholars learn in response to their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That Faustus is at dinner with Valdes and Cornelius.
(b) That Faustus is in class.
(c) That they are being expelled.
(d) Their question is unanswered.
6. What does Faustus consider in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Asking to meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
(b) Praying for forgiveness.
(c) Killing himself.
(d) Backing out of his deal with the devil.
7. What does Robin's friend want to use the book for?
(a) To make a lot of money.
(b) To sleep with a maid he is interested in.
(c) He wants to burn the book.
8. When does Robin first appear in "Dr. Faustus"?
(a) At the end of Act 2, Scene 2.
(b) In Act 3.
(c) At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2.
(d) At the end of Act 2, Scene 1.
9. What is Robin carrying?
(a) A silver goblet.
(b) A woman.
(c) A devil.
(d) A book.
10. What does the Clown think about Wagner's offer?
(a) He does not hear Wagner's offer.
(b) He attempts to negotiate his rates.
(c) He is eager to accept Wagner's offer.
(d) He is not interested in the job.
11. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
(a) Wagner must teach him to summon devils too.
(b) Wagner must pay him more.
(c) Wagner must introduce him to Helen of Troy.
(d) Wagner must never summon devils again.
12. How does the Clown react to the appearance of the devils in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He cries.
(c) He laughs.
(d) He dies.
13. How does Faustus feel about the sight of the demon in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He is disgusted.
(b) He is frightened.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He can only hear the demon, not see him.
14. What do the scholars assume Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius means?
(a) That Faustus has made a deal with the devil.
(b) That Faustus is performing magic again.
(c) That Faustus is stupid.
(d) That Faustus is quitting school.
15. Why is Wagner's first offer of payment so offensive to the Clown?
(a) Because French crowns are devalued to the point of being practically worthless.
(b) Because the Clown does not like Wagner.
(c) Because Wagner refuses to pay at all.
(d) It is not offensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do?
4. Why does Mephastophilis not want to answer Faustus's questions in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)