|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do?
(a) Give him powers.
(b) Introduce him to Lucifer.
(c) Summon the Seven Deadly Sins.
(d) Act as his servant.
2. What does the Bad Angel advise Faustus to do?
(a) Become a member of the clergy.
(b) Study magic.
(c) Continue his regular studies.
(d) He does not advise Faustus of anything.
3. How does Faustus feel about the benefits of selling his soul?
(a) Overjoyed because he can truly enjoy life now.
(b) Like he has betrayed God.
4. What is Robin carrying?
(a) A book.
(b) A woman.
(c) A silver goblet.
(d) A devil.
5. What does Faustus consider in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Killing himself.
(b) Asking to meet the Seven Deadly Sins.
(c) Praying for forgiveness.
(d) Backing out of his deal with the devil.
6. What are the names of the devils that appear in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Mephastophilis and Lucifer.
(b) Rafe and Robin.
(c) Baliol and Belcher.
(d) Wagner and Faustus.
7. How do the scholars feel about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
(a) They do not want to be friends with Faustus anymore.
(b) They are alarmed.
(c) They do not care.
(d) They are happy.
8. What must Faustus use to sign the contract?
(a) A chicken's blood.
(b) A pen.
(c) A pencil.
(d) His blood.
9. What does Mephastophilis tell Faustus when he returns to Faustus's house in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That Faustus is a fool.
(b) That he will answer his questions about God and heaven.
(c) That Lucifer will accept the deal for Faustus's soul.
(d) That Lucifer refuses his offer.
10. What is the occupation of Valdes and Cornelius?
11. When do Wagner and the Clown enter "Dr. Faustus" together?
(a) At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4.
(b) At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
(c) At the end of Act 1, Scene 4.
(d) At the end of Act 1, Scene 3.
12. Why do the scholars decide to visit someone at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) They want to have dinner with him.
(b) They need to borrow money.
(c) They want his help with Faustus.
(d) They lost their keys.
13. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Why Faustus is angry with them.
(b) Where Faustus has gone.
(c) Who Mephastophilis is.
(d) Why God made death.
14. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
(a) Wagner must teach him to summon devils too.
(b) Wagner must never summon devils again.
(c) Wagner must introduce him to Helen of Troy.
(d) Wagner must pay him more.
15. What does Wagner first offer the Clown as payment for his service?
(b) British pounds.
(c) American dollars.
(d) French crowns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What set of books does Faustus ask for?
2. What does the Clown agree to do after the devils leave in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What do the scholars learn in response to their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Mephastophilis not want to answer Faustus's questions in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)