|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Clown think about Wagner's offer?
(a) He is eager to accept Wagner's offer.
(b) He attempts to negotiate his rates.
(c) He is not interested in the job.
(d) He does not hear Wagner's offer.
2. How does Mephastophilis react to Faustus's offer?
(a) He refuses immediately.
(b) He is interested and returns to hell to see if Lucifer will accept the offer.
(c) He tells Faustus it is a bad idea.
(d) He disappears without responding.
3. Who is Robin's friend that enters in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Whether to get married.
(b) Which friend to ask for advice.
(c) Which way to turn his studies.
(d) Whether to quit school.
5. What is the Clown's condition for agreeing to Wagner's request?
(a) Wagner must introduce him to Helen of Troy.
(b) Wagner must pay him more.
(c) Wagner must never summon devils again.
(d) Wagner must teach him to summon devils too.
6. What does Faustus command Mephastophilis to do?
(a) Introduce him to Lucifer.
(b) Summon the Seven Deadly Sins.
(c) Give him powers.
(d) Act as his servant.
7. What does Wagner first offer the Clown as payment for his service?
(a) British pounds.
(b) American dollars.
(d) French crowns.
8. What are the names of the devils that appear in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Baliol and Belcher.
(b) Rafe and Robin.
(c) Mephastophilis and Lucifer.
(d) Wagner and Faustus.
9. How does Robin's friend feel about Robin's offer?
10. What is the occupation of Valdes and Cornelius?
11. What does the Clown agree to do after the devils leave in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Go to hell.
(b) Practice magic.
(c) Be Wagner's servant.
(d) Work for Faustus.
12. What is Faustus waiting to learn in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) If he is going to be expelled.
(b) If he should renege on his offer.
(c) If Lucifer will accept his offer.
(d) If Mephastophilis will kill him.
13. Why do the Good and Bad Angels come to Faustus?
(a) Because they are friends.
(b) To torment him.
(c) To give him advice.
(d) They do not visit Faustus.
14. Who is the main character in the play?
(b) Dr. John Faustus.
15. What does Wagner do to convince the Clown to acquiesce to his request?
(a) Beg him.
(b) He does not try to convince the Clown.
(c) Offer him more money.
(d) Summons two devils.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Faustus that it is not too late to turn back?
2. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Whom does Mephastophilis return to Faustus with in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What is necromancy?
5. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)