|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They live together.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They work together.
2. Whom does Mephastophilis say that he serves?
3. What does Faustus's thoughts soon turn away from?
(c) His family.
4. What do Valdes and Cornelius advise Faustus to do?
(a) Get married.
(b) Continue his normal studies.
(c) Quit school.
(d) Study magic.
5. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What does Robin's friend want to use the book for?
(b) He wants to burn the book.
(c) To sleep with a maid he is interested in.
(d) To make a lot of money.
7. What do Faustus and Mephastophilis discuss in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Helen of Troy.
(b) Ancient rulers.
8. What general topic does Faustus begin to study while neglecting his former studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
9. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he does not want to study magic.
(b) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
(c) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(d) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
10. Why does Mephastophilis not want to answer Faustus's questions in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He will be punished if he talks about this topic.
(b) He hates the topic.
(c) He does not want to remember how happy he was.
(d) He does not know anything about the topic.
11. What is necromancy?
(a) The magical art of raising the dead.
(b) A relationship with God.
(c) The art of summoning demons.
(d) Speaking to the devil.
12. When do Wagner and the Clown enter "Dr. Faustus" together?
(a) At the end of Act 1, Scene 3.
(b) At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1.
(c) At the end of Act 1, Scene 4.
(d) At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4.
13. What is Faustus waiting to learn in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) If Mephastophilis will kill him.
(b) If he is going to be expelled.
(c) If Lucifer will accept his offer.
(d) If he should renege on his offer.
14. Where does Faustus grow up?
(a) Rhodes, Germany.
(b) London, England.
(c) Wittenberg, Germany.
(d) Rome, Italy.
15. Why do the scholars decide to visit someone at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) They need to borrow money.
(b) They want to have dinner with him.
(c) They want his help with Faustus.
(d) They lost their keys.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, who owned the object that Robin is carrying before Robin obtained it?
2. How many scholars appear in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why is Faustus tempted to study this?
5. What must Faustus use to sign the contract?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)