|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does the term "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue allude?
(a) The fall of Lucifer.
(b) A wax museum.
(c) A wax figure.
(d) The fall of Icarus.
2. What does Faustus do as a storm approaches?
(a) He goes to the theater to watch a play.
(b) He draws a magic circle around himself.
(c) He hides.
(d) He goes to sleep.
3. What does the Clown think about Wagner's offer?
(a) He is not interested in the job.
(b) He is eager to accept Wagner's offer.
(c) He attempts to negotiate his rates.
(d) He does not hear Wagner's offer.
4. What does Faustus's thoughts soon turn away from?
(a) His family.
5. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) None of these is correct.
(b) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
(c) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(d) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
6. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Which friend to ask for advice.
(b) Whether to quit school.
(c) Which way to turn his studies.
(d) Whether to get married.
7. In Act 2, Scene 2, who owned the object that Robin is carrying before Robin obtained it?
8. What do the scholars learn in response to their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That they are being expelled.
(b) That Faustus is at dinner with Valdes and Cornelius.
(c) That Faustus is in class.
(d) Their question is unanswered.
9. Whom is Faustus waiting for in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) The Bad Angel.
(c) The Good Angel.
10. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
(a) They are friends.
(b) They live together.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) They work together.
11. Whom do the scholars decide to visit at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(c) The rector.
12. What does Wagner want to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Hire the Clown as his servant.
(b) Sleep with a woman.
(c) Summon Mephastophilis.
(d) Kill Faustus.
13. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
(b) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(c) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
(d) That he does not want to study magic.
14. What is Robin's occupation?
15. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) To find women.
(b) They stay at Faustus's house.
(c) To practice their magical skills.
(d) To attend a play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows Faustus the things he has sold his soul for?
2. What do the first set of books that Mephastophilis gives Faustus allow Faustus to do?
3. What does Lucifer demand of Faustus in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What does Robin's friend want to use the book for?
5. What does Robin offer his friend?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)