|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
(b) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
(c) None of these is correct.
(d) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
2. Whom does Mephastophilis return to Faustus with in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) The Bad Angel.
3. What specific topic does Faustus begin to study, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, who owned the object that Robin is carrying before Robin obtained it?
5. What do the scholars want Faustus to do?
(a) Quit school.
(b) Loan them money.
(c) Help them study.
(d) Quit his magical studies.
6. What is the occupation of Valdes and Cornelius?
7. What will Robin's book allow him to do?
(a) Control the weather.
(b) Conjure devils and enchant women to do his bidding.
(c) Obtain knowledge of the universe.
(d) Travel to hell and back to earth.
8. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
9. What does the Bad Angel tell Faustus in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) That he should turn back from his deal.
(c) That he will go to hell if he does not back out of his deal.
(d) Reminds him of everything he can get out of his deal with the devil.
10. Where does Faustus grow up?
(a) Rhodes, Germany.
(b) Wittenberg, Germany.
(c) London, England.
(d) Rome, Italy.
11. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
(b) That he does not want to study magic.
(c) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(d) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
12. Why does Mephastophilis leave Faustus?
(a) Because he is tired.
(b) Because it is daylight.
(c) Because Wagner summons him.
(d) Because he is disgusted with the persistent questions about God and heaven.
13. What do the scholars assume Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius means?
(a) That Faustus is stupid.
(b) That Faustus has made a deal with the devil.
(c) That Faustus is quitting school.
(d) That Faustus is performing magic again.
14. How does Robin feel about his new acquisition?
15. What is the name of Faustus's human servant?
(c) The Clown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Faustus that it is not too late to turn back?
2. What does Faustus consider in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. When do Valdes and Cornelius arrive?
5. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)