|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner first offer the Clown as payment for his service?
(b) British pounds.
(c) French crowns.
(d) American dollars.
2. What do Faustus and Mephastophilis discuss in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) Ancient rulers.
(d) Helen of Troy.
3. What is the relationship between the scholars and Faustus?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They work together.
(c) They are friends.
(d) They live together.
4. Whom do the scholars ask about in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What general topic does Faustus begin to study while neglecting his former studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
6. Whom is Faustus waiting for in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Good Angel.
(c) The Bad Angel.
7. How does Faustus feel about selling his soul in Act 2, Scene 3?
8. How does Faustus do in his studies?
(a) He quits.
(b) Very poorly.
(d) Financially well.
9. Who shows Faustus the things he has sold his soul for?
(b) The Bad Angel.
(c) A series of devils.
10. How many scholars appear in Act 1, Scene 2?
11. What are the names of the devils that appear in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Mephastophilis and Lucifer.
(b) Rafe and Robin.
(c) Baliol and Belcher.
(d) Wagner and Faustus.
12. What do the scholars wonder in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Why Faustus is angry with them.
(b) Who Mephastophilis is.
(c) Where Faustus has gone.
(d) Why God made death.
13. What is the occupation of Valdes and Cornelius?
14. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) That he loves God too much to offer his soul to the devil.
(b) That he does not want to study magic.
(c) That Mephastophilis is not powerful enough to be a helpful servant.
(d) That he did something immoral by offering his soul to the devil.
15. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
(b) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(c) None of these is correct.
(d) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mephastophilis return to Faustus with in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does the Clown agree to do after the devils leave in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Why do Valdes, Cornelius, and Faustus leave Faustus's home at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What is Faustus very tempted to study in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does Faustus question Mephastophilis about in Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)