|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Robin's occupation?
2. Whom does Mephastophilis return to Faustus with in Act 2, Scene 3?
(c) The Bad Angel.
3. What do the scholars learn in response to their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Their question is unanswered.
(b) That Faustus is at dinner with Valdes and Cornelius.
(c) That Faustus is in class.
(d) That they are being expelled.
4. Who speaks in the Prologue?
(b) Good and Bad Angels.
(d) The chorus.
5. How does the Clown react to the appearance of the devils in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He dies.
(d) He cries.
6. Why do the scholars feel the way they do about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
(a) Because they are also good friends with Valdes and Cornelius.
(b) Because they do not care about Faustus.
(c) Because the scholars do not like Valdes and Cornelius.
(d) Because Valdes and Cornelius are magicians and necromancers.
7. Why does Faustus react the way that he does to the pending storm?
(a) He is frightened.
(b) He plans to summon a demon.
(c) He is tired.
(d) He is bored.
8. What does Faustus ask to see in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Ancient Greece.
(b) Helen of Troy.
9. What do Faustus and Mephastophilis discuss in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) Helen of Troy.
(c) Ancient rulers.
10. What is necromancy?
(a) Speaking to the devil.
(b) The art of summoning demons.
(c) A relationship with God.
(d) The magical art of raising the dead.
11. What does Wagner want to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Summon Mephastophilis.
(b) Sleep with a woman.
(c) Hire the Clown as his servant.
(d) Kill Faustus.
12. How does Faustus do in his studies?
(a) He quits.
(b) Very poorly.
(c) Financially well.
13. What does Faustus study as he sits in his studying Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Whether to get married.
(b) Which friend to ask for advice.
(c) Which way to turn his studies.
(d) Whether to quit school.
14. To what does the term "waxen wings" in line 21 of the Prologue allude?
(a) The fall of Lucifer.
(b) A wax figure.
(c) A wax museum.
(d) The fall of Icarus.
15. In Act 2, Scene 3, what does Faustus decide after considering whether he should repent?
(a) He cannot go to heaven anyway so he should just use the devil to obtain all of his earthly desires.
(b) To back out of his deal with Lucifer.
(c) To pray for forgiveness.
(d) He does not make a decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faustus realize in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is the status of Faustus's parents?
3. Where does Faustus go to study?
4. What does Wagner first offer the Clown as payment for his service?
5. When will Lucifer return to grant Faustus's request?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)