|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who appears after Faustus finishes his incantation?
(a) The Good Angel.
(c) The Bad Angel.
2. What does Faustus command the demon to reappear as?
(a) An angel.
(b) A Franciscan friar.
(c) A pretty woman.
(d) A book.
3. Why does Faustus offer this deal to Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He does not offer a deal.
(b) He is frightened of Mephastophilis.
(c) He is eager to learn magic.
(d) In order to have the demon at his beck and call.
4. What is necromancy?
(a) The magical art of raising the dead.
(b) The art of summoning demons.
(c) A relationship with God.
(d) Speaking to the devil.
5. What deal does Faustus offer Mephastophilis in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) To pay Mephastophilis for magical books.
(b) To trade his soul for 24 years of life with Mephastophilis as his servant.
(c) None of these is correct.
(d) To leave Mephastophilis alone if he will answer Faustus's questions about God and heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faustus very tempted to study in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How does Faustus do in his studies?
3. To whom do the scholars pose their question in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What general topic does Faustus begin to study while neglecting his former studies, according to the Chorus in the Prologue?
5. Why do the scholars feel the way they do about Faustus spending time with Valdes and Cornelius?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)