|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well do Yuri and Strelnikov get along when they meet in Varykino?
2. Why is Yuri's tree more noticeable that all the other trees?
3. During the NEP period, Yuri makes a new friend. What is this friend's name?
4. Who cares for Yuri while he is ill?
5. What happens to Pamphil after the discovery of the mutilated man?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Tania in Epilogue of Dr. Zhivago is not Yuri's wife. Who is she and where did she come from?
2. Describe Yuri's death and funeral.
3. Describe Yuri's behavior after Lara leaves for Vladivostok.
4. Describe how the war affects Pamphil.
5. Describe Yuri's relationship with Marina.
6. Describe the rowan tree.
7. What could the rowan tree symbolize?
8. What might have been done to prevent Pamphil's insanity?
9. Why does Lara return for Yuri's funeral after he refused to follow her to Vladivostok?
10. Describe what happens when Komarovsky shows up at Yuri and Lara's house in Yuriatin.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Christina's significance in the story. What could she symbolize? How might her actions have influenced the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Yuri Zhivago is a very sensitive man. Describe how Yuri expresses himself through poetry.
1) How does Yuri express his feeling of begin torn between two relationships? Cite a specific poem.
2) How does Yuri describe his confession of adultery? Cite a specific poem.
3) Describe one of Yuri's poems that reflect his love for Lara. How is this poem different than the first two examples?
Essay Topic 3
How does Yuri's relationship with Tonia differ from his relationship with Lara? What are his motivations in developing each relationship? What influence does each relationship have on his life?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)