|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suspicion do Lara and Yuri have about Mikulitsyn's house?
2. What type of tree does Yuri discover growing near the camp on a piece of high ground?
3. Who offers to help Yuri and Lara leave Yuriatin?
4. Why does Yuri want to borrow scissors from a nearby seamstress?
5. What does Yuri do while alone in Mikulitsyn's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Yuri manages to escape from the Red Army camp.
2. In the Epilogue of Dr. Zhivago, Gordon and Dudorov discuss a woman named Christina. What has Christina done?
3. Why do Yuri's writings both inspire and threaten the characters in the book?
4. Why are Gordon and Dudorov interested in Yuri's book of poetry?
5. What could the rowan tree symbolize?
6. In Chapter 13, while in Yuritan, what does Lara want to have happen to her relationship with Yuri?
7. Describe how the war affects Pamphil.
8. Describe what happens when Komarovsky shows up at Yuri and Lara's house in Yuriatin.
9. Describe Yuri's relationship with Marina.
10. How does Yuri react to Strelnikov's return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, character and events seem to coincidentally occur at just the right (or wrong) time. What role does fate play in Yuri's life? What role does fate play in Lara's life? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Yuri Zhivago is a very sensitive man. Describe how Yuri expresses himself through poetry.
1) How does Yuri express his feeling of begin torn between two relationships? Cite a specific poem.
2) How does Yuri describe his confession of adultery? Cite a specific poem.
3) Describe one of Yuri's poems that reflect his love for Lara. How is this poem different than the first two examples?
Essay Topic 3
After Lara leaves for Vladivostok, Yuri and Lara's husband, Strelnikov, meet in the house. Describe each man's reaction to the other man's presence. Discuss the irony of Lara's lover and husband both living in the same house. How did their conversation affect their actions?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)