|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other character has also lived in Mikulitsyn's house?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 13, by the time Yuri returns to Yuriatin, which political party has gained control of the government?
3. What does Yuri send to Marina?
4. What does the tree represent to Yuri?
5. What eases Pamphil's symptoms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lara return for Yuri's funeral after he refused to follow her to Vladivostok?
2. Describe how Yuri manages to escape from the Red Army camp.
3. Describe how the war affects Pamphil.
4. Describe the rowan tree.
5. Describe Yuri's death and funeral.
6. Describe Yuri's behavior after Lara leaves for Vladivostok.
7. Pasternak ties the love story in Dr. Zhivago to a reference to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. How are the two romantic tragedies similar?
8. Describe what happens when Yuri breaks Red Cross rules and uses a rifle.
9. What could the rowan tree symbolize?
10. In the Epilogue of Dr. Zhivago, Gordon and Dudorov discuss a woman named Christina. What has Christina done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, character and events seem to coincidentally occur at just the right (or wrong) time. What role does fate play in Yuri's life? What role does fate play in Lara's life? Give specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Christina's significance in the story. What could she symbolize? How might her actions have influenced the characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in the book endure the strife of World War I as well as a civil war. Discuss how war affects their lives.
1) How does World War I affect the characters in the book? Cite specific examples.
2) How does the Russian Civil War affect the characters in the book? Cite specific examples.
3) How would Yuri and Lara's affair been different if there had been no war?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)