|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on his journey to Varykino, what happens to Yuri as he walks near a river?
2. Who seduces Lara when she is 16?
3. What is Strelnikov's secret identity?
4. Why does Yuri love Lara?
5. What type of school is set up in Yuri and Tonia's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yura faint in the garden?
2. Describe Yuri's arrest.
3. How does Lara attempt end her relationship with Komarovsky?
4. Give an example of the brutality of war that is described in Dr. Zhivago.
5. Describe some of the social classes of people who are on the train and how they interact with each other.
6. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
7. Why might people exhibit extreme behavior during a time of war that they would not exhibit in peacetime?
8. Why would Dr. Zhivago work willingly near the front line of battle?
9. How do Yuri and his family get food and supplies for their trip to Varykino?
10. What is in Yuri's notebook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Komarovsky keeps appearing to Lara unwanted and uninvited. How do Komarovsky's actions affect the development of his character in the story? How does his influence affect Lara and her daughter, Tania?
Essay Topic 2
How does Yuri influence the characters in the book after his death? What significance do other characters find in his work? How could his work possibly affect the future of Russia?
Essay Topic 3
How do changes in the Russian economy affect the choices and actions that characters make in the story? Cite specific examples of decisions made and actions taken as a direct result of economic need. How do changes in the Russian economy affect the moral development of characters in the story?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)