|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Yura is studying to be a doctor. What else does he want to achieve in this life?
2. When Yura and his uncle live in a house owned by the Gromekos, which character also lives in the house?
3. In the spring, Yuri's half brother, Evgraf, brings a sick peasant in for treatment. What is Yuri's diagnosis?
4. Whom does Yuri see in Yuriatin?
5. Which character does Lara treat in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lara and Pasha's life together.
2. Describe the type of work Yuri and his family do to survive when they first arrive in Varykino.
3. Why does Lara follow Pasha to the front lines?
4. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
5. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
6. Describe some of the political views and opinions of the characters in the first chapter.
7. How does Lara attempt end her relationship with Komarovsky?
8. Why does Yura faint in the garden?
9. How could Yuri's life have been different if he had not tried to return to Lara the night he was conscripted by the Red Army?
10. Describe Yuri's arrest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in the book endure the strife of World War I as well as a civil war. Discuss how war affects their lives.
1) How does World War I affect the characters in the book? Cite specific examples.
2) How does the Russian Civil War affect the characters in the book? Cite specific examples.
3) How would Yuri and Lara's affair been different if there had been no war?
Essay Topic 2
How does Yuri influence the characters in the book after his death? What significance do other characters find in his work? How could his work possibly affect the future of Russia?
Essay Topic 3
After Lara leaves for Vladivostok, Yuri and Lara's husband, Strelnikov, meet in the house. Describe each man's reaction to the other man's presence. Discuss the irony of Lara's lover and husband both living in the same house. How did their conversation affect their actions?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)