|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Zhivago have published during World War I?
2. Whom does Yuri meet at the beginning of May?
3. What does Lara do when Pasha joins the Russian army?
4. Why does Lara leave the front line and return to Moscow?
5. How does Lara plan to end her affair with Komarovsky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the social classes of people who are on the train and how they interact with each other.
2. Why does Yura faint in the garden?
3. How do Yuri and his family get food and supplies for their trip to Varykino?
4. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
5. Describe Lara and Pasha's life together.
6. Describe what happens to Yura during and after his mother's funeral.
7. Why would Dr. Zhivago work willingly near the front line of battle?
8. What is in Yuri's notebook?
9. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
10. How does Yuri react when he sees Lara at the library?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Lara leaves for Vladivostok, Yuri and Lara's husband, Strelnikov, meet in the house. Describe each man's reaction to the other man's presence. Discuss the irony of Lara's lover and husband both living in the same house. How did their conversation affect their actions?
Essay Topic 2
How is the story of Dr. Zhivago similar to Shakespeare's play, "Romeo and Juliet"? What themes are common to both stories? What lessons could be learned from each theme?
Essay Topic 3
How does Yuri's relationship with Tonia differ from his relationship with Lara? What are his motivations in developing each relationship? What influence does each relationship have on his life?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)