|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, Yuri returns to Moscow. How does he find food and supplies on his journey?
(a) He trades his coat to a farmer for produce.
(b) He steals food from an unsuspecting peasant.
(c) He gathers field gleanings and scrounges whatever he can from abandoned houses.
(d) He works odd jobs in towns along the way, accepting food as payment.
2. In Chapter 13, what type of criminal do some people in Yuriatin suspect Yuri of being?
(a) A unregistered citizen
(b) A bad doctor
(c) A Tsarist sympathizer
(d) A deserter
3. In Chapter 16, after World War II, under whose protection does Tonia live?
(a) The protection of the state.
(b) Komorov's protection.
(c) Yuri's protection.
(d) Evgraf's protection.
4. How well do Yuri and Strelnikov get along when they meet in Varykino?
(a) They respect each other and get along well.
(b) They are suspicious and jealous of each other.
(c) They have a fist fight.
(d) They engage in a heated argument over Lara.
5. What does Yuri send to Marina?
(a) A love letter.
(b) A coat.
(c) New shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuri agree to follow Lara in Komarovsky's sleigh?
2. Whom does Tonia tell Gordon and Dudorov is her step-father?
3. What does the tree represent to Yuri?
4. How do Gordon and Dudorov feel about collectivism?
5. Whom do Lara and Yuri learn they share as a common nemesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yuri not accompany Lara to Vladivostok?
2. Describe Yuri's death and funeral.
3. Describe Yuri's behavior after Lara leaves for Vladivostok.
4. Why do you think Yuri stays in Yuriatin for a time instead of leaving immediately to find his wife and family?
5. What could the rowan tree symbolize?
6. Describe how the war affects Pamphil.
7. How does Yuri avoid the temptation of considering Lara and her daughter his new family?
8. What might have been done to prevent Pamphil's insanity?
9. Lara and Yuri discover they share a common nemesis. Who is this person and what has he/she done to them?
10. Describe what Yuri finds in Lara's house when he returns to Yuriatin.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)