|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lara blame for Pasha's abandonment of her?
(a) She blames Yuri.
(b) She blames Pasha's infidelity with the seamstress.
(c) She blames her own behavior.
(d) She blames the revolution and civil war.
2. What illness does Yuri see developing frequently as a result of the constant warfare?
(b) Mental illness.
3. Major-General Zhivago, Yuri's half brother Evgraf, is looking for something. What is it?
(a) New recruits.
(b) Black market dealers.
(c) Eyewitnesses who knew Christina.
(d) Political dissidents.
4. Why does Lara admire Yuri?
(a) Because he is kinder than Pasha.
(b) Because he is a good provider.
(c) Because he has not let political propaganda infect his soul.
(d) Because he is a romantic poet.
5. Why does Lara fear arrest?
(a) Because Yuri refuses to register with the government.
(b) Because she made the seamstress angry.
(c) Because she buys goods from the black market.
(d) Because she is related to Pasha.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Yuri after the discovery of the mutilated man?
2. Gordon and Dudorov realize that Tonia is whose daughter?
3. How does Yuri make money during the NEP period?
4. Whom does Yuri discover lying dead in the snow outside Mikulitsyn's house?
5. In the Epilogue, two characters, Gordon and Dudorov, reminisce about the sufferings of which conflict?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yuri's behavior after Lara leaves for Vladivostok.
2. Describe how Yuri manages to escape from the Red Army camp.
3. Describe Yuri's relationship with Marina.
4. Pasternak ties the love story in Dr. Zhivago to a reference to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. How are the two romantic tragedies similar?
5. What do Yuri and Lara do when they hear a rumor that the Executive Committee plans to arrest them?
6. What might have been done to prevent Pamphil's insanity?
7. In Chapter 13, while in Yuritan, what does Lara want to have happen to her relationship with Yuri?
8. Why does Yuri not accompany Lara to Vladivostok?
9. How does Yuri avoid the temptation of considering Lara and her daughter his new family?
10. What could the rowan tree symbolize?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)