|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lara and Pasha have a daughter. What is the child's name?
2. What is in Yuri's notebook?
(a) Names of people he has met on his journey.
(b) Poetry about the war.
(c) Various writings about his life at Varykino.
(d) Lists of supplies needed and their costs.
3. In October, which political group wins the fight and establishes political power?
(a) The Provisional Government.
(b) The Socialists.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The Bolsheviks.
4. During World War I, Dr. Zhivago, serves in a hospital in which city?
5. What prediction does Commissar Strelnikov make during his meeting with Yuri?
(a) He predicts that they will meet again.
(b) He predicts that Germany will invade Russia again.
(c) He predicts that Yuri will become a famous poet and author.
(d) He predicts that Yuri will die as an old man in his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of government does the new ruling party in October first establish?
2. What color represents the Marxist army?
3. Lara's mother, Amalia Karlovna Guishar, takes over what type of shop?
4. What does Yuri write in his notebook about his half brother, Evgraf?
5. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
Short Essay Questions
1. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
2. Describe Yuri's death and funeral.
3. Why might people exhibit extreme behavior during a time of war that they would not exhibit in peacetime?
4. How does Yuri react to Strelnikov's return?
5. Describe the political views of Maxim Aristarkhovich Klintsov-Pogorevshikh.
6. Interpret the meaning of the line: "to live life to the end is not a childish task." from Yuri's poem "Hamlet."
7. Describe the careers Yura plans to pursue.
8. Pasternak ties the love story in Dr. Zhivago to a reference to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. How are the two romantic tragedies similar?
9. What might have been done to prevent Pamphil's insanity?
10. Describe the type of work Yuri and his family do to survive when they first arrive in Varykino.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)