|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Commissar Strelnikov asks Yuri questions about his military service and destination. With which political group is Strelnikov associated?
(a) The Provisional Government.
(b) The White Army.
(c) The Communist Party.
(d) The Red Army.
2. While on his journey to Varykino, what happens to Yuri as he walks near a river?
(a) He gazes at the moon and composes a new poem.
(b) He is attacked by bandits.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He falls in the river.
3. During Yuri's trip to Varykino, which group succeeds in taking control of the northern mountains?
(a) The White Army takes control away from the Red Army.
(b) The Red Army takes control away from the White Army.
(c) The Provisional Government takes control away from the Germans.
(d) The Bolsheviks take control away from the Communists.
4. What part of life in Varykino does Yuri enjoy the most?
(a) The physical labor of chores.
(b) The time spent with his family.
(c) The time he has to write poetry.
(d) The opportunity to help his patients.
5. How do Yuri and his family finance their trip to Varykino?
(a) The family works together in a factory.
(b) Yuri finds work in one of the few remaining factories.
(c) The family gathers together items to sell or use for barter.
(d) Yuri's uncle Nikolai sends them money for tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Yura and his uncle Nikolai live first?
2. What mode of transportation does Yuri and his family use as they leave for the town of Varykino in the early spring?
3. What does Yuri write in his notebook about his half brother, Evgraf?
4. With which political group does Yuri side?
5. What is in Yuri's notebook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
2. Describe some of the social classes of people who are on the train and how they interact with each other.
3. How could Yuri's life have been different if he had not tried to return to Lara the night he was conscripted by the Red Army?
4. Describe the careers Yura plans to pursue.
5. Describe Yuri's arrest.
6. How does Lara feel about Komarovsky later in their relationship?
7. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
8. Everyone must trade or pay for the food that is sold illegally behind the train stations. Why doesn't the soldier have to pay for the food he eats?
9. Give an example of the brutality of war that is described in Dr. Zhivago.
10. How does Yuri react when he sees Lara at the library?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)