|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Yuri tell his wife he is working with in Meliuzeievo?
2. Where on the estate are the Zhivagos allowed to live?
(a) In a cramped barn.
(b) In the main building.
(c) In a small building on the grounds.
(d) They are not allowed to live on the estate.
3. In the book, Pasternak develops a parallel between the changes occurring in Russia and what other historical event?
(a) The fall of the Roman Empire.
(b) The fall of Adam and Eve.
(c) The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
(d) The conquests of the Vikings.
4. What type of school is set up in Yuri and Tonia's house?
(a) An officer training school.
(b) A medical school.
(c) An agricultural school.
(d) An elementary school.
5. Lara and Pasha have a daughter. What is the child's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seduces Lara when she is 16?
2. Where does fighting begin in the 1917 Russian revolution?
3. What mode of transportation does Yuri and his family use as they leave for the town of Varykino in the early spring?
4. Commissar Strelnikov asks Yuri questions about his military service and destination. With which political group is Strelnikov associated?
5. When the Russian economy collapses, which two political groups begin to fight for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Dr. Zhivago work willingly near the front line of battle?
2. What happens when Yuri finally visits Lara at her house in Varykino?
3. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
4. What is in Yuri's notebook?
5. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
6. Give an example of the brutality of war that is described in Dr. Zhivago.
7. Describe the political views of Maxim Aristarkhovich Klintsov-Pogorevshikh.
8. How does Lara feel about Komarovsky later in their relationship?
9. Why does Lara follow Pasha to the front lines?
10. Everyone must trade or pay for the food that is sold illegally behind the train stations. Why doesn't the soldier have to pay for the food he eats?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)