|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in Yuri's notebook?
(a) Names of people he has met on his journey.
(b) Various writings about his life at Varykino.
(c) Poetry about the war.
(d) Lists of supplies needed and their costs.
2. What happens to four of the conscripted workers one night as Yuri and his companions enter the mountains on their way to Varykino?
(a) The workers are beaten for complaining about the poor food rations.
(b) The workers begin to show signs of typhoid.
(c) The soldiers shoot the workers for sport.
(d) The workers escape.
3. In his notebook, Yuri comments on the poetry of Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin. What elements of Pushkin's poetry does Yuri consider important?
(a) Rhyme and flow.
(b) The use of idioms.
(c) Meter and originality.
(d) Interpretations of truth.
4. Which character does Lara treat in the hospital?
(b) Dr. Zhivago.
(d) The handsome young soldier.
5. During the Presnia uprising, which character meets and falls in love with Lara?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring, Yuri's half brother, Evgraf, brings a sick peasant in for treatment. What is Yuri's diagnosis?
2. What does Yuri barter for food and goods from a central distribution center?
3. How does Lara plan to end her affair with Komarovsky?
4. At the end of Chapter 1, why is Madame Guishar offended?
5. What does Kologrivov help Lara find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the snow is cleared from the train tracks.
2. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
3. Give an example of the brutality of war that is described in Dr. Zhivago.
4. How does Lara attempt end her relationship with Komarovsky?
5. Describe what happens to Yura during and after his mother's funeral.
6. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
7. Describe Lara and Pasha's life together.
8. How do Yuri and his family survive the harsh winter?
9. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
10. Describe Dr. Zhivago's actions during the war.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)