|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which political group does Yuri side?
(b) The anarchists.
(c) The Red Army.
(d) The White Army.
2. How do Yuri and his family finance their trip to Varykino?
(a) The family works together in a factory.
(b) The family gathers together items to sell or use for barter.
(c) Yuri's uncle Nikolai sends them money for tickets.
(d) Yuri finds work in one of the few remaining factories.
3. While traveling to Varykino, who travels with Yuri and his family?
(a) A platoon of soldiers.
(b) A group of government officials.
(c) Uncle Nikolai.
(d) A mixture of professionals, conscripted workers, and peasants.
4. What is in Yuri's notebook?
(a) Lists of supplies needed and their costs.
(b) Poetry about the war.
(c) Various writings about his life at Varykino.
(d) Names of people he has met on his journey.
5. In chapter one, Yura's father jumps from which type of vehicle?
(a) A truck.
(b) A bus.
(c) An airplane.
(d) A train.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of life in Varykino does Yuri enjoy the most?
2. What does Lara do when Pasha joins the Russian army?
3. What does Yuri's wife, Tonia, receive for trading an embroidered towel?
4. Why was Yura poor?
5. When the Russian economy collapses, which two political groups begin to fight for power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Yuri finally visits Lara at her house in Varykino?
2. Describe what happens to Yura during and after his mother's funeral.
3. Describe Dr. Zhivago's actions during the war.
4. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
5. Describe Yuri's arrest.
6. Why would Dr. Zhivago work willingly near the front line of battle?
7. Describe the careers Yura plans to pursue.
8. Why does Lara enter a relationship with a much older man?
9. Why might people exhibit extreme behavior during a time of war that they would not exhibit in peacetime?
10. Describe some of the political views and opinions of the characters in the first chapter.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)