|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Yuri during his illness in the winter?
(a) His uncle Nikolai.
(b) His friend Lara.
(c) His half brother Evgraf.
(d) His friend Maxim.
2. The leaders of the Russian government are called by this name.
3. Where on the estate are the Zhivagos allowed to live?
(a) In the main building.
(b) In a cramped barn.
(c) They are not allowed to live on the estate.
(d) In a small building on the grounds.
4. While in the gardens of the Duplyanka estate, which family member does Yura pray for?
(a) His mother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
5. Where does fighting begin in the 1917 Russian revolution?
(a) St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
2. What is in Yuri's notebook?
3. What part of life in Varykino does Yuri enjoy the most?
4. While traveling to see Lara, who conscripts Yuri as a field doctor?
5. Why does Yuri love Lara?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Zhivago's actions during the war.
2. How could Yuri's life have been different if he had not tried to return to Lara the night he was conscripted by the Red Army?
3. How does Lara feel about Komarovsky later in their relationship?
4. Describe some of the political views and opinions of the characters in the first chapter.
5. Everyone must trade or pay for the food that is sold illegally behind the train stations. Why doesn't the soldier have to pay for the food he eats?
6. How do Yuri and his family survive the harsh winter?
7. Describe the political views of Maxim Aristarkhovich Klintsov-Pogorevshikh.
8. How does Yuri react when he sees Lara at the library?
9. Describe what happens to Yura during and after his mother's funeral.
10. How do Yuri and his family get food and supplies for their trip to Varykino?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)