|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Lara after Yuri leaves and is conscripted?
(a) Her husband takes her daughter away to Moscow.
(b) Her husband forgives her affair and they resume family life.
(c) She has neither husband nor lover, and is left with only her daughter.
(d) She follows Yuri into service as a field nurse.
2. While traveling to see Lara, who conscripts Yuri as a field doctor?
(a) Members of the White Army.
(b) Members of the Provisional Government.
(c) Members of the Green forces.
(d) Members of the Red Army.
3. Lara and Pasha have a daughter. What is the child's name?
4. Where does fighting begin in the 1917 Russian revolution?
(b) St. Petersburg.
5. What does Lara do when Pasha joins the Russian army?
(a) She becomes a secretary.
(b) She works in her mother's bakery.
(c) She becomes a teacher.
(d) She becomes a nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
2. Commissar Strelnikov asks Yuri questions about his military service and destination. With which political group is Strelnikov associated?
3. How does Lara plan to end her affair with Komarovsky?
4. When the Russian economy collapses, which two political groups begin to fight for power?
5. What mode of transportation does Yuri and his family use as they leave for the town of Varykino in the early spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Yuri finds in Lara's house when he returns to Yuriatin.
2. Describe what happens when Yuri breaks Red Cross rules and uses a rifle.
3. Why are Gordon and Dudorov interested in Yuri's book of poetry?
4. How could Yuri's life have been different if he had not tried to return to Lara the night he was conscripted by the Red Army?
5. In the Epilogue of Dr. Zhivago, Gordon and Dudorov discuss a woman named Christina. What has Christina done?
6. Describe how Yuri manages to escape from the Red Army camp.
7. Why does Yuri not accompany Lara to Vladivostok?
8. What happens when Yuri finally visits Lara at her house in Varykino?
9. Why do you think Yuri stays in Yuriatin for a time instead of leaving immediately to find his wife and family?
10. Everyone must trade or pay for the food that is sold illegally behind the train stations. Why doesn't the soldier have to pay for the food he eats?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)