|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring, Yuri's half brother, Evgraf, brings a sick peasant in for treatment. What is Yuri's diagnosis?
(b) A staph infection.
(d) The measles.
2. In the book, Pasternak develops a parallel between the changes occurring in Russia and what other historical event?
(a) The fall of the Roman Empire.
(b) The fall of Adam and Eve.
(c) The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
(d) The conquests of the Vikings.
3. What happens to Yura in the gardens of the Duplyanka estate?
(a) He writes his first poem.
(b) He argues with his uncle.
(c) He faints.
(d) He sees his family.
4. What does Dr. Zhivago have published during World War I?
(a) An article in the most respected Russian medical journal.
(b) A book.
(c) A song.
(d) A poem.
5. During World War I, which country invaded Russia?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Strelnikov's secret identity?
2. Why does Lara leave the front line and return to Moscow?
3. What type of school is set up in Yuri and Tonia's house?
4. What are Yuri's primary concerns during the winter?
5. Whom does Yuri tell his wife he is working with in Meliuzeievo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Everyone must trade or pay for the food that is sold illegally behind the train stations. Why doesn't the soldier have to pay for the food he eats?
2. How do Yuri and his family survive the harsh winter?
3. Describe some of the social classes of people who are on the train and how they interact with each other.
4. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
5. How do Yuri and his family get food and supplies for their trip to Varykino?
6. How could Yuri's life have been different if he had not tried to return to Lara the night he was conscripted by the Red Army?
7. Describe Yuri's arrest.
8. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
9. Why does Yuri choose to take his family to Varykino?
10. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)