|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his notebook, Yuri comments on the poetry of Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin. What elements of Pushkin's poetry does Yuri consider important?
(a) Interpretations of truth.
(b) The use of idioms.
(c) Rhyme and flow.
(d) Meter and originality.
2. What does Kologrivov help Lara find?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A revolver.
(c) Her dog.
(d) A new coat.
3. The book begins with what type of scene?
(a) A funeral.
(b) A demonstration.
(c) A party.
(d) A wedding.
4. In the spring, Yuri's half brother, Evgraf, brings a sick peasant in for treatment. What is Yuri's diagnosis?
(b) The measles.
(c) A staph infection.
5. Who seduces Lara when she is 16?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
2. Where on the estate are the Zhivagos allowed to live?
3. What mode of transportation does Yuri and his family use as they leave for the town of Varykino in the early spring?
4. What does Commissar Strelnikov believe everyone must do during the Russian Civil War?
5. What is Strelnikov's secret identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the careers Yura plans to pursue.
2. Describe the political views of Maxim Aristarkhovich Klintsov-Pogorevshikh.
3. Describe Yuri's arrest.
4. Describe the events that lead to Yuri's conscription by the Red Army.
5. Why does Yuri choose to take his family to Varykino?
6. How does Yuri react when he sees Lara at the library?
7. What happens when Yuri finally visits Lara at her house in Varykino?
8. Why does Lara follow Pasha to the front lines?
9. Describe how the snow is cleared from the train tracks.
10. Why would Dr. Zhivago work willingly near the front line of battle?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)