|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Evgraf help Yuri's family during the winter?
(a) He repairs their leaky roof.
(b) He arranges for them to have better supplies.
(c) He repairs their car.
(d) He drives Yuri to the hospital.
2. Upon the advice of her lawyer, where does Amalia Karlovna Guishar send Lara?
(a) To the country.
(b) To Moscow.
(c) To England.
(d) To school.
3. How are the big snowdrifts cleared from the path during Yuri's journey to Varykino?
(a) The soldiers clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(b) Teams of horses pull snow plows across the path until it is clear.
(c) The passengers split up into work teams, and clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(d) The government officials convince men from a nearby village to clear the snow by promising a large reward.
4. What part of life in Varykino does Yuri enjoy the most?
(a) The physical labor of chores.
(b) The opportunity to help his patients.
(c) The time he has to write poetry.
(d) The time spent with his family.
5. While in the gardens of the Duplyanka estate, which family member does Yura pray for?
(a) His mother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lara plan to end her affair with Komarovsky?
2. What does Yuri barter for food and goods from a central distribution center?
3. Whom does Yuri see in Yuriatin?
4. What type of school is set up in Yuri and Tonia's house?
5. While in Varykino, what does Yuri suspect about Tonia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Yuri react when he sees Lara at the library?
2. How does Lara feel about Komarovsky later in their relationship?
3. Why does Lara follow Pasha to the front lines?
4. Describe what happens to Yura during and after his mother's funeral.
5. What is in Yuri's notebook?
6. Why does Yura faint in the garden?
7. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
8. Why does Yuri choose to take his family to Varykino?
9. How do Yuri and his family get food and supplies for their trip to Varykino?
10. Describe how the snow is cleared from the train tracks.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)