|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in Yuri's notebook?
(a) Names of people he has met on his journey.
(b) Poetry about the war.
(c) Lists of supplies needed and their costs.
(d) Various writings about his life at Varykino.
2. The book begins with what type of scene?
(a) A party.
(b) A demonstration.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A funeral.
3. What happens to Lara after Yuri leaves and is conscripted?
(a) Her husband forgives her affair and they resume family life.
(b) She has neither husband nor lover, and is left with only her daughter.
(c) Her husband takes her daughter away to Moscow.
(d) She follows Yuri into service as a field nurse.
4. Yura is studying to be a doctor. What else does he want to achieve in this life?
(a) He wants to write a grand novel.
(b) He wants to study art.
(c) He wants to teach at the University.
(d) He wants to become wealthy.
5. While on his journey to Varykino, what happens to Yuri as he walks near a river?
(a) He gazes at the moon and composes a new poem.
(b) He is attacked by bandits.
(c) He falls in the river.
(d) He is arrested.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yuri tell Commissar Strelnikov he wants out of life?
2. During the Presnia uprising, which character meets and falls in love with Lara?
3. Whom does Yuri tell his wife he is working with in Meliuzeievo?
4. While Lara works as a housewife and teaches at the gymnasium, what does Pasha do?
5. Which character does Lara treat in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Yuri and his family get food and supplies for their trip to Varykino?
2. How could Yuri's life have been different if he had not tried to return to Lara the night he was conscripted by the Red Army?
3. Describe the beginning Lara and Pasha's relationship.
4. What happens when Yuri finally visits Lara at her house in Varykino?
5. Describe Lara and Pasha's life together.
6. With the Russian economy in ruins, how do people survive?
7. Describe how the snow is cleared from the train tracks.
8. Why would Dr. Zhivago work willingly near the front line of battle?
9. How do Yuri and his family survive the harsh winter?
10. Why does Lara enter a relationship with a much older man?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)