|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yuri need from the government in order to journey to France?
(b) An international medical license.
(c) A train ticket.
(d) A passport.
2. Which rule does Yuri break while serving as a conscripted field doctor?
(a) He gives away food rations to poor peasants.
(b) He sneaks a letter out to Lara.
(c) He gives away medical supplies to poor peasants.
(d) He uses a rifle.
3. By what name is Yuri's division known?
(a) The Forest Brotherhood.
(b) The Forest Forces.
(c) The Woodland Warriors.
(d) The Tree Dwellers.
4. Why is Yuri's tree more noticeable that all the other trees?
(a) The tree has colorful leaves.
(b) The tree is blossoming with beautiful flowers.
(c) The tree is covered in red berries.
(d) The tree is dead.
5. What mode of travel do Lara and Yuri use on their journey out of Yuriatin?
(a) A train.
(b) A horse and sleigh.
(c) A stolen Army truck.
(d) A wagon.
6. Why is a group of soldiers executed near Yuri's tree?
(a) They are found guilty of murder.
(b) They are found guilty of desertion.
(c) They are found guilty of illegally distilling vodka.
(d) They are found guilty of treason.
7. Why does Yuri agree to follow Lara in Komarovsky's sleigh?
(a) Because he does not have enough money to buy a train ticket.
(b) Because they will use the sleigh to haul medical supplies.
(c) In order to follow Lara to their new home.
(d) In order to convince Lara to leave for a safer area.
8. What happens to Pamphil after the discovery of the mutilated man?
(a) Pamphil shows no emotion, but simply walks away and resumes his duties.
(b) Pamphil becomes angry and vows revenge.
(c) Pamphil goes insane and murders his family with an ax.
(d) Pamphil begins to cry and is inconsolable.
9. In Chapter 15, who comes to Yuri's aid while he is living in Moscow?
10. When Yuri returns to Yuriatin in chapter 13, where does he believe his wife and son have gone?
(a) To America.
(b) To the country house.
(c) To France.
(d) To Moscow.
11. What does Yuri discover about the boy he shot?
(a) The boy's life is saved by a small metal box containing a protective prayer.
(b) The boy's life is saved by a small packet of letters.
(c) The boy is his nephew.
(d) The boy's life is saved by a small bible.
12. Yuri returns to Moscow during the Soviet NEP period. What does NEP stand for?
(a) New Education Policy.
(b) New Employee Policy.
(c) New Economic Policy.
(d) New Education Period.
13. What is a serious problem for the leaders of the White Army camp?
(d) Head Lice.
14. What does Lara insist Yuri do when he recovers from his illness?
(a) Stay in hiding until the spring.
(b) Register with the new government.
(c) Stay with her.
(d) Return to his family.
15. Where to Lara and Yuri intend to go after leaving Yuriatin?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuri want to borrow scissors from a nearby seamstress?
2. Gordon and Dudorov realize that Tonia is whose daughter?
3. While living across the street from the house of sculptures in Chapter 13, why do Lara and Yuri feel they must leave Yuriatin soon?
4. How well do Yuri and Strelnikov get along when they meet in Varykino?
5. Which other character has also lived in Mikulitsyn's house?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)