|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 14, who annoys Yuri and Lara with his return to Yuriatin?
(c) Uncle Nikolai.
2. Which rule does Yuri break while serving as a conscripted field doctor?
(a) He gives away food rations to poor peasants.
(b) He uses a rifle.
(c) He gives away medical supplies to poor peasants.
(d) He sneaks a letter out to Lara.
3. When Yuri returns to Yuriatin in chapter 13, where does he believe his wife and son have gone?
(a) To America.
(b) To France.
(c) To Moscow.
(d) To the country house.
4. Who cares for Yuri while he is ill?
(a) The seamstress.
(b) Uncle Nikolai.
5. Why does the White Army leave a mutilated man for the Red Army to discover?
(a) The mutilated man is a black market trader.
(b) The mutilated man is a warning about war atrocities.
(c) The mutilated man is a spy.
(d) The mutilated man was a political leader.
6. What does Yuri send to Marina?
(a) A coat.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A love letter.
7. What does Yuri discover about the boy he shot?
(a) The boy's life is saved by a small metal box containing a protective prayer.
(b) The boy is his nephew.
(c) The boy's life is saved by a small packet of letters.
(d) The boy's life is saved by a small bible.
8. What type of relationship does Yuri have with Marina?
(a) She is his common-law wife.
(b) She is his new head nurse.
(c) She is Vasia's wife.
(d) She is the town seamstress.
9. Why is Yuri's tree more noticeable that all the other trees?
(a) The tree is dead.
(b) The tree is covered in red berries.
(c) The tree is blossoming with beautiful flowers.
(d) The tree has colorful leaves.
10. Why does Lara admire Yuri?
(a) Because he has not let political propaganda infect his soul.
(b) Because he is kinder than Pasha.
(c) Because he is a romantic poet.
(d) Because he is a good provider.
11. What does the blood on the snow outside of Mikulitsyn's house remind Yuri of?
(b) Rowan berries.
12. What animals found lurking on the property in Varykino represent the pressures of the world lurking nearby?
(a) The wolves.
(b) The ravens.
(c) The owls.
(d) The bears.
13. When Yuri returns to Yuriatin, what does he discover in his room?
(c) Head Lice.
14. Whom does Tonia tell Gordon and Dudorov is her step-father?
15. Yuri receives a letter from Tonia. Where does he learn she has gone?
(a) She has been living in Moscow.
(b) She has moved to Leningrad.
(c) She has been deported to Italy.
(d) She has been deported to France.
Short Answer Questions
1. The washing woman has a special friend who died during the war. What was her friend's name?
2. What mode of travel do Lara and Yuri use on their journey out of Yuriatin?
3. Why was Christina considered a war heroine?
4. How long does Yuri serve as a conscripted field doctor?
5. How do some of the villagers reconstruct their roofs?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)