|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Tonia tell Gordon and Dudorov is her step-father?
2. In Chapter 15, Yuri returns to Moscow. How does he find food and supplies on his journey?
(a) He works odd jobs in towns along the way, accepting food as payment.
(b) He gathers field gleanings and scrounges whatever he can from abandoned houses.
(c) He trades his coat to a farmer for produce.
(d) He steals food from an unsuspecting peasant.
3. Why does Yuri have delirious thoughts and dreams in Chapter 13?
(a) He is suffering from exhaustion.
(b) He ate spoiled food.
(c) He longs to see Lara.
(d) He is suffering from a fever.
4. What happens to Yuri after the discovery of the mutilated man?
(a) Yuri begins to cry and is inconsolable.
(b) Yuri goes insane and murders Pamphil's family with an ax.
(c) Yuri shows no emotion, but simply walks away and resumes his duties.
(d) Yuri escapes using skis and supplies he had hidden in the forest.
5. In Chapter 15, what does Lara help organize in Moscow?
(a) Yuri's papers in to a book of poetry.
(b) A political rally.
(c) The hospital staff.
(d) Tonia's funeral.
6. What does Yuri discover about the boy he shot?
(a) The boy's life is saved by a small bible.
(b) The boy is his nephew.
(c) The boy's life is saved by a small packet of letters.
(d) The boy's life is saved by a small metal box containing a protective prayer.
7. In the Epilogue, two characters, Gordon and Dudorov, reminisce about the sufferings of which conflict?
(a) World War II.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) The Revolution.
(d) World War I.
8. Why does Yuri want to borrow scissors from a nearby seamstress?
(a) To make Lara a gift.
(b) To make a shirt out of the curtains in his room.
(c) To trim his hair and beard.
(d) To repair his coat.
9. In Chapter 13, what new information does Lara give Yuri?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) He has a new son named Misha.
(c) He has a new daughter named Masha.
(d) The government is looking for him.
10. What does the blood on the snow outside of Mikulitsyn's house remind Yuri of?
(a) Rowan berries.
11. During the summer, how many jobs does Yuri take in order to make ends meet?
12. Why does Lara fear arrest?
(a) Because Yuri refuses to register with the government.
(b) Because she buys goods from the black market.
(c) Because she made the seamstress angry.
(d) Because she is related to Pasha.
13. While living in Mikulitsyn's house, what hobby does Yuri pursue?
(a) Poetry writing.
(d) Wood carving.
14. Which other character has also lived in Mikulitsyn's house?
(d) Uncle Nikolai.
15. During the NEP period, Yuri makes a new friend. What is this friend's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yuri wish to kill the Bolshevik officer?
2. What book do Gordon and Dudorov discuss at the end of the epilogue?
3. Why does the White Army leave a mutilated man for the Red Army to discover?
4. Which drunken character from Lara's past is allowed to sleep in a rat-infested room of her house in Yuriatin?
5. What happens to Pamphil after the discovery of the mutilated man?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)