|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lara consider herself to be a bad person?
(a) She feels guilty about her past.
(b) She wishes she could be Yuri's wife.
(c) She stole in order to feed her family.
(d) She knows she does not love Pasha.
2. While on his journey to Varykino, what happens to Yuri as he walks near a river?
(a) He falls in the river.
(b) He is attacked by bandits.
(c) He is arrested.
(d) He gazes at the moon and composes a new poem.
3. In his notebook, Yuri comments on the poetry of Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin. What elements of Pushkin's poetry does Yuri consider important?
(a) The use of idioms.
(b) Rhyme and flow.
(c) Meter and originality.
(d) Interpretations of truth.
4. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
5. Why did the soldiers of the Provisional Government bayonet a young idealist after he had already been killed by a rifle shot?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They wanted to make sure he was really dead.
(c) He moved his arm.
(d) He spoke to them.
6. Yura is studying to be a doctor. What else does he want to achieve in this life?
(a) He wants to write a grand novel.
(b) He wants to become wealthy.
(c) He wants to study art.
(d) He wants to teach at the University.
7. How are the big snowdrifts cleared from the path during Yuri's journey to Varykino?
(a) The government officials convince men from a nearby village to clear the snow by promising a large reward.
(b) The passengers split up into work teams, and clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(c) The soldiers clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(d) Teams of horses pull snow plows across the path until it is clear.
8. In chapter one, Yura's father jumps from which type of vehicle?
(a) A bus.
(b) A truck.
(c) A train.
(d) An airplane.
9. Where do Yura and his uncle Nikolai live first?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A hotel.
(c) His uncle's estate.
10. Where on the estate are the Zhivagos allowed to live?
(a) In the main building.
(b) In a cramped barn.
(c) In a small building on the grounds.
(d) They are not allowed to live on the estate.
11. How do Yuri and his family finance their trip to Varykino?
(a) The family works together in a factory.
(b) The family gathers together items to sell or use for barter.
(c) Yuri finds work in one of the few remaining factories.
(d) Yuri's uncle Nikolai sends them money for tickets.
12. What is in Yuri's notebook?
(a) Various writings about his life at Varykino.
(b) Lists of supplies needed and their costs.
(c) Poetry about the war.
(d) Names of people he has met on his journey.
13. How many days did it take to clear the snowdrifts from the path?
14. How does the illness affect Yuri?
(a) The fever affects his mind.
(b) His stomach is upset.
(c) The rash irritates his skin.
(d) His aching joints cripple his movement.
15. Yura is also called what name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Lara's mother, Amalia Karlovna Guishar, takes over what type of shop?
2. What does Yuri's wife, Tonia, receive for trading an embroidered towel?
3. What illness affects Yuri and most of the city in the winter?
4. What part of life in Varykino does Yuri enjoy the most?
5. What does Yuri tell Commissar Strelnikov he wants out of life?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)