|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During World War I, which country invaded Russia?
2. Where does fighting begin in the 1917 Russian revolution?
(c) St. Petersburg.
3. When the Russian economy collapses, which two political groups begin to fight for power?
(a) The Provisional Government and the Bolsheviks.
(b) The Provisional Government and the Communists.
(c) The Bolsheviks and the Marxists.
(d) The Provisional Government and the Socialists.
4. Why does Lara leave the front line and return to Moscow?
(a) She thinks that Pasha is dead.
(b) Lara learns that her mother is dying.
(c) She is offered a job at the hospital in Moscow.
(d) Pasha's tour of duty is over.
5. While in Varykino, what does Yuri suspect about Tonia?
(a) That she is ill.
(b) That she is having an affair with Mikulitsyn.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she is unhappy.
6. What illness affects Yuri and most of the city in the winter?
7. During World War I, Dr. Zhivago, serves in a hospital in which city?
8. How are the big snowdrifts cleared from the path during Yuri's journey to Varykino?
(a) The soldiers clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(b) The government officials convince men from a nearby village to clear the snow by promising a large reward.
(c) Teams of horses pull snow plows across the path until it is clear.
(d) The passengers split up into work teams, and clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
9. Why does Dr. Zhivago leave the front line and return to the hospital?
(a) He is wounded by a shell explosion.
(b) He returns to treat the wounded Lara.
(c) The hospital offers him a promotion.
(d) He cannot stand the gruesome nature of war.
10. At the end of Chapter 1, why is Madame Guishar offended?
(a) There is no fresh produce in the city.
(b) Her bakery can no longer receive flour.
(c) Lara has insulted her.
(d) Her seamstresses have gone on strike.
11. While in the gardens of the Duplyanka estate, which family member does Yura pray for?
(a) His sister.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
12. When the Russian economy collapses, how do the citizens cope with the lack of food and supplies?
(a) Brave soldiers drive supply wagons to Asia.
(b) People barter among themselves.
(c) American troops drop care packages from airplanes.
(d) Groups of people travel to Europe to gather supplies.
13. Why does Yuri believe that Varykino would be a good place to resettle his family?
(a) Yuri hopes the townspeople will help his family because he gave medical aid to an important member of the town during World War I.
(b) Yuri's uncle Nikolai now lives in Varykino and is willing to help the family.
(c) Yuri hopes the townspeople will help his family because his father once owned property and a factory in Varykino.
(d) Yuri has heard that Varykino is in desperate need of a physician.
14. When Yura and his uncle live in a house owned by the Gromekos, which character also lives in the house?
(a) Lara Guishar.
(b) Pasha Antipov.
(c) Misha Gordon.
(d) Ivan Ivanovich.
15. Tonia must trade goods for food. Why does the soldier get to eat for free?
(a) The soldier is the son of the vendor.
(b) The soldier is given free food because everyone respects his willingness to defend their country.
(c) The soldier has a gun and everyone is afraid to complain about his behavior.
(d) The government has agreed to pay the food vendors each month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Commissar Strelnikov asks Yuri questions about his military service and destination. With which political group is Strelnikov associated?
2. Why does Lara love Yuri?
3. Yura is also called what name?
4. How does Evgraf help Yuri's family during the winter?
5. Where on the estate are the Zhivagos allowed to live?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)