|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the illness affect Yuri?
(a) The fever affects his mind.
(b) His stomach is upset.
(c) His aching joints cripple his movement.
(d) The rash irritates his skin.
2. Why does Dr. Zhivago leave the front line and return to the hospital?
(a) He cannot stand the gruesome nature of war.
(b) The hospital offers him a promotion.
(c) He returns to treat the wounded Lara.
(d) He is wounded by a shell explosion.
3. In the book, Pasternak develops a parallel between the changes occurring in Russia and what other historical event?
(a) The fall of the Roman Empire.
(b) The conquests of the Vikings.
(c) The fall of Adam and Eve.
(d) The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
4. Yura is studying to be a doctor. What else does he want to achieve in this life?
(a) He wants to become wealthy.
(b) He wants to teach at the University.
(c) He wants to write a grand novel.
(d) He wants to study art.
5. What does Yuri barter for food and goods from a central distribution center?
(a) His winter coat.
(b) His car.
(c) His medical services.
(d) A carton of stolen cigarettes.
6. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
7. During World War I, Dr. Zhivago, serves in a hospital in which city?
8. The leaders of the Russian government are called by this name.
9. While traveling to Varykino, who travels with Yuri and his family?
(a) A group of government officials.
(b) A mixture of professionals, conscripted workers, and peasants.
(c) Uncle Nikolai.
(d) A platoon of soldiers.
10. Lara's mother, Amalia Karlovna Guishar, takes over what type of shop?
(a) A grocery shop.
(b) A bakery shop.
(c) A shoe shop.
(d) A dress shop.
11. When Yura and his uncle live in a house owned by the Gromekos, which character also lives in the house?
(a) Lara Guishar.
(b) Ivan Ivanovich.
(c) Misha Gordon.
(d) Pasha Antipov.
12. Why does Lara consider herself to be a bad person?
(a) She stole in order to feed her family.
(b) She wishes she could be Yuri's wife.
(c) She feels guilty about her past.
(d) She knows she does not love Pasha.
13. During the Presnia uprising, which character meets and falls in love with Lara?
14. Lara and Pasha have a daughter. What is the child's name?
15. What is the name of the independent republic that Blazheiko sets up and backs with a force of deserters from the 212th Infantry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Yura is also called what name?
2. What happens to Yura in the gardens of the Duplyanka estate?
3. What happens to Lara after Yuri leaves and is conscripted?
4. Why was Yura poor?
5. What does Yuri tell Commissar Strelnikov he wants out of life?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)