|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During his journey to Varykino, Yuri realizes he knows the leader of one of the powerful political forces in Russia. Which political force does Galiullin lead?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) The Provisional Government.
(c) The White Army.
(d) The Red Army.
2. In October, which political group wins the fight and establishes political power?
(a) The Provisional Government.
(b) The Socialists.
(c) The Communists.
(d) The Bolsheviks.
3. In the first chapter, many workers protest working conditions by leaving their jobs. What word is used in the book to describe that type of protest?
4. How are the big snowdrifts cleared from the path during Yuri's journey to Varykino?
(a) The soldiers clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(b) The passengers split up into work teams, and clear the snow with shovels borrowed from a nearby village.
(c) The government officials convince men from a nearby village to clear the snow by promising a large reward.
(d) Teams of horses pull snow plows across the path until it is clear.
5. While Lara works as a housewife and teaches at the gymnasium, what does Pasha do?
(a) He joins the protests and becomes a political activist.
(b) He works in an ammunition factory.
(c) He works as a schoolteacher.
(d) He works in Madame Guishar's bakery.
6. Why does Yuri love Lara?
(a) She has pretty eyes.
(b) They like the same authors.
(c) She arouses a new passion in him.
(d) She is wonderful cook and Yuri feels at home with her.
7. Where does fighting begin in the 1917 Russian revolution?
(a) St. Petersburg.
8. When the Russian economy collapses, how do the citizens cope with the lack of food and supplies?
(a) American troops drop care packages from airplanes.
(b) Brave soldiers drive supply wagons to Asia.
(c) Groups of people travel to Europe to gather supplies.
(d) People barter among themselves.
9. While on his journey to Varykino, what happens to Yuri as he walks near a river?
(a) He is attacked by bandits.
(b) He is arrested.
(c) He gazes at the moon and composes a new poem.
(d) He falls in the river.
10. How does Evgraf help Yuri's family during the winter?
(a) He repairs their leaky roof.
(b) He repairs their car.
(c) He drives Yuri to the hospital.
(d) He arranges for them to have better supplies.
11. After her affair with Komarovsky ends, whom does Lara marry?
12. During Yuri's trip to Varykino, which group succeeds in taking control of the northern mountains?
(a) The Provisional Government takes control away from the Germans.
(b) The White Army takes control away from the Red Army.
(c) The Red Army takes control away from the White Army.
(d) The Bolsheviks take control away from the Communists.
13. What does Yuri tell Commissar Strelnikov he wants out of life?
(a) He wants the peace and anonymity of country life.
(b) He wants to be respected as an author.
(c) He wants to become wealthy.
(d) He wants to experience real love.
14. Several conflicts are present in the book. Which struggle best describes the conflict between the warring political parties?
(a) The struggle of capitalism versus communalism.
(b) The struggle of territory versus common property.
(c) The struggle of order versus chaos.
(d) The struggle of personal freedoms versus the common good.
15. While traveling to Varykino, who travels with Yuri and his family?
(a) A mixture of professionals, conscripted workers, and peasants.
(b) A group of government officials.
(c) A platoon of soldiers.
(d) Uncle Nikolai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lara leave the front line and return to Moscow?
2. Yura is studying to be a doctor. What else does he want to achieve in this life?
3. Tonia must trade goods for food. Why does the soldier get to eat for free?
4. What physical handicap does political leader Maxim Aristarkhovich Klintsov-Pogorevshikh have?
5. When the Russian economy collapses, which two political groups begin to fight for power?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)