|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the illness affect Yuri?
(a) The rash irritates his skin.
(b) His stomach is upset.
(c) The fever affects his mind.
(d) His aching joints cripple his movement.
2. Where does fighting begin in the 1917 Russian revolution?
(d) St. Petersburg.
3. Lara's mother, Amalia Karlovna Guishar, takes over what type of shop?
(a) A grocery shop.
(b) A shoe shop.
(c) A dress shop.
(d) A bakery shop.
4. How does Lara plan to end her affair with Komarovsky?
(a) She plans to tell him in a letter.
(b) She plans to run away.
(c) She plans to tell him over dinner.
(d) She plans to shoot him.
5. How long did Yuri's affair with Lara last?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two years.
6. After watching a worker's demonstration, what job does Pasha Antipov want?
(a) He wants to be the fire chief.
(b) He wants to be a teacher.
(c) He wants to be chief of police.
(d) He wants to be a lawyer.
7. Tonia must trade goods for food. Why does the soldier get to eat for free?
(a) The government has agreed to pay the food vendors each month.
(b) The soldier is given free food because everyone respects his willingness to defend their country.
(c) The soldier has a gun and everyone is afraid to complain about his behavior.
(d) The soldier is the son of the vendor.
8. What is the name of the independent republic that Blazheiko sets up and backs with a force of deserters from the 212th Infantry?
9. What happens to Yura in the gardens of the Duplyanka estate?
(a) He writes his first poem.
(b) He argues with his uncle.
(c) He sees his family.
(d) He faints.
10. In chapter one, Yura's father jumps from which type of vehicle?
(a) A train.
(b) An airplane.
(c) A truck.
(d) A bus.
11. What does Yuri write in his notebook about his half brother, Evgraf?
(a) He wonders if Tonya is in love with Evgraf.
(b) He does not feel he can trust his brother.
(c) He wishes he could repay Evgraf for his kindness.
(d) He knows virtually nothing about his brother.
12. During Yuri's trip to Varykino, which group succeeds in taking control of the northern mountains?
(a) The Provisional Government takes control away from the Germans.
(b) The White Army takes control away from the Red Army.
(c) The Bolsheviks take control away from the Communists.
(d) The Red Army takes control away from the White Army.
13. Upon the advice of her lawyer, where does Amalia Karlovna Guishar send Lara?
(a) To school.
(b) To England.
(c) To Moscow.
(d) To the country.
14. What does Commissar Strelnikov believe everyone must do during the Russian Civil War?
(a) Everyone should be prepared for the hardships of war.
(b) People should help each other.
(c) People should use their rations wisely.
(d) Everyone must choose a side.
15. Yuri discovers that Lara has been reading books about which political philosophy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness affects Yuri and most of the city in the winter?
2. Why does Yuri believe that Varykino would be a good place to resettle his family?
3. Why did the soldiers of the Provisional Government bayonet a young idealist after he had already been killed by a rifle shot?
4. What part of life in Varykino does Yuri enjoy the most?
5. Why does Lara love Yuri?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)