|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of mood is Eddie in during Christmas, in Chapter 15, The Jolly Season?
2. What do good teachers enjoy with their students, according to Powers in Chapter 9, Among Others and Smooth Eddie?
3. What awaits Eddie at home, in Chapter 16, Final?
4. How is dating for Catholic adolescents described, in Chapter 10, Double Dating with Felix Lindor?
5. What does being a nice guy not do for Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe dating for the Catholic adolescent boys in the 1950s or 1960s.
2. What does Brother O'Connell tell Eddie, in Chapter 14, Late Bloomer?
3. What is addressed, in Chapter 9, Among Others, Smooth Eddie?
4. What happens, at the end of Chapter 14, Late Bloomer?
5. What happens to Timmy in his final tumbling routine?
6. What happens, at the end of Chapter 15, The Jolly Season?
7. Describe Brother Sens.
8. Describe Smooth Eddie.
9. Describe what the annual retreat is like.
10. How has Eddie changed from the beginning of the book to the end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Eddie sees the Catholic Church as a bunch of "do's" and "don'ts."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how describing typical teenage events brings out the theme of adolescent maturation, so adults can witness it through the content of Powers' book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the definition of a "good" student in the 1950s and 1960s to the definition of a "good" student is in present day.
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)