Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the rounds of the eighth circle divided?
2. What does the inscription on the gates of Hell in Canto 3 tell souls to abandon before they enter?
3. In Canto 3, what is buffeting the sinners of the second circle of Hell?
4. What shields Dante and Virgil from the falling fire in Canto 15?
5. According to Farinata in Canto 10, what do the dead have difficulty seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What horrific moment does Dante witness at the end of Canto 13?
2. Who is Capaneus, and what is he doing in Canto 14?
3. How are the panders and seducers of Canto 18 punished?
4. How does Dante proceed to the eighth circle at the end of Canto 17?
5. Describe the conversation the souls have with Dante in Canto 16?
6. What does Dante notice about the usurers in Canto 17?
7. What are the trees in Canto 13?
8. What does Farinata reveal about Dante and the visions of damned souls in Canto 10?
9. Who is the unnamed soul who talks with Virgil in Canto 22?
10. Why was Guido not released from Hell after death?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the significance of Dante's relationship with Virgil in The Inferno. How does using the classic poet as a guide create a link between Alighieri and Italy's past? What significance does Virgil have to Renaissance-era Florence? In terms of narrative, how is Virgil integral both to exposition and to the character of Dante's development as a protagonist? What does he explain to the reader? How is he a catalyst for growth in Dante?
Essay Topic 2
Most of the figures featured is Dante's poem are being punished in Hell for one sin or another. There are, however, groups that serve functions in Hell; one could almost call them employees of Hell. Write a poem in three parts about these figures of The Inferno:
Part 1) At what point does Dante encounter the Fallen Angels who fought on Satan's side in the Heavenly civil war? What is their job in Hell? How do they interact with Virgil and Dante in their passages of The Inferno? Discuss how Virgil deals with these officiates of the City of Dis.
Part 2) Only some of the circles of Hell actually have demons in them. Discuss which circles these are and what duties the demons must perform within them. What human characteristics do these monsters display? How does Alighieri portray them in the text? What is the cumulative effect of their passages of the poem?
Part 3) Who are the Giants and what is their function concerning the ninth circle of Hell? Discuss why they are imprisoned in Hell, and why only some of them are chained? What service does one of the Giants perform for the pilgrims in the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Dante's poem serves as something of a hodgepodge of allusions. He draws from several different sources. In a three-part essay, discuss these various sources. Cite several examples of individuals who appear in the text. Why are they in Hell? How does the poet-pilgrim of the text react to their presence? Does he interact with them?
Part 1) Classical Greek mythology
Part 2) The Christian Bible
Part 3) Contemporary Italian politics
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)