Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the rounds of the eighth circle divided?
(a) With rock walls.
(b) With high embankments.
(c) With ditches.
(d) With rivers.
2. What does the inscription on the gates of Hell in Canto 3 tell souls to abandon before they enter?
3. In Canto 3, what is buffeting the sinners of the second circle of Hell?
(a) A raging river.
(b) A tempest.
(c) A club of demons.
(d) Tongues of flame.
4. What shields Dante and Virgil from the falling fire in Canto 15?
(a) An awning of festering flesh.
(b) A dark cloud.
(c) A parasol.
(d) A convocation of floating souls.
5. According to Farinata in Canto 10, what do the dead have difficulty seeing?
(a) The present.
(b) The future.
(c) Their place in Hell.
(d) Their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does the river in which the violent are punished consist?
2. How are the most grievously offending sinners of Canto 14 punished in the burning sands?
3. When will the souls entrapped in the trees regain their bodies?
4. In Canto 16, from what two blights does Dante insist Florence is presently suffering?
5. Who demands that the guardians of the dread gate allow entry in Canto 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What horrific moment does Dante witness at the end of Canto 13?
2. Who is Capaneus, and what is he doing in Canto 14?
3. How are the panders and seducers of Canto 18 punished?
4. How does Dante proceed to the eighth circle at the end of Canto 17?
5. Describe the conversation the souls have with Dante in Canto 16?
6. What does Dante notice about the usurers in Canto 17?
7. What are the trees in Canto 13?
8. What does Farinata reveal about Dante and the visions of damned souls in Canto 10?
9. Who is the unnamed soul who talks with Virgil in Canto 22?
10. Why was Guido not released from Hell after death?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)