Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the rounds of the eighth circle divided?
(a) With rock walls.
(b) With high embankments.
(c) With ditches.
(d) With rivers.
2. What does the inscription on the gates of Hell in Canto 3 tell souls to abandon before they enter?
3. In Canto 3, what is buffeting the sinners of the second circle of Hell?
(a) A raging river.
(b) A tempest.
(c) A club of demons.
(d) Tongues of flame.
4. What shields Dante and Virgil from the falling fire in Canto 15?
(a) An awning of festering flesh.
(b) A dark cloud.
(c) A parasol.
(d) A convocation of floating souls.
5. According to Farinata in Canto 10, what do the dead have difficulty seeing?
(a) The present.
(b) The future.
(c) Their place in Hell.
(d) Their lives.
6. Of what does the river in which the violent are punished consist?
7. How are the most grievously offending sinners of Canto 14 punished in the burning sands?
(a) Their souls feed the flames that heat the sand.
(b) They must devour the sand.
(c) They are buried to their necks in the sand.
(d) They must lay prostrate in the sand.
8. When will the souls entrapped in the trees regain their bodies?
(a) After one thousand years.
(b) At the final judgment.
(c) At the start of the new millenium.
(d) At the fall of the Medicis.
9. In Canto 16, from what two blights does Dante insist Florence is presently suffering?
(a) Pride and excess.
(b) Greed and pestilence.
(c) Lethargy and gluttony.
(d) Madness and degradation.
10. Who demands that the guardians of the dread gate allow entry in Canto 9?
(b) An angel.
(c) The Voice of God.
11. According to Virgil, why are the sinners he and Dante have already met less offending to God than those below?
(a) They were alive before the coming of Christ.
(b) Their sins are pleasurable.
(c) They are repentant.
(d) They hurt no one else.
12. Why are souls put into Limbo?
(a) They have only sinned once.
(b) They could not complete penance in Purgatory.
(c) God refuses to judge them.
(d) They have not been baptized.
13. What does Dante do before leaving the wood of suicides at the beginning of Canto 14?
(a) He returns leaves.
(b) He asks Virgil how many circles are left.
(c) He says a prayer for his country.
(d) He curses the damned souls around him.
14. What sin have the sinners of the fourth circle committed?
(a) Betrayal of country.
(c) Carnal desire.
15. How does Dante know Farinata?
(a) He lived next door to Dante.
(b) He was the prince regent of Florence.
(c) He was Dante's uncle.
(d) He was a friend's father-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what fruit does Brunetto Latini compare Dante in Canto 15?
2. At the beginning of Canto 11, a sign on the cliff announces that who is kept in the circle below?
3. What role does Virgil offer to serve for Dante in Canto 1?
4. How does Dante react to the torments of the second circle in Canto 5?
5. What does Farinata prophesy about Dante in Canto 10?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)