|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Canto XVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Canto 2, who does Virgil say implored him to find Dante?
(b) A lord of Florence.
2. Why did Pier delle Vigne commit suicide?
(a) He lost his children in the civil war.
(b) He was exiled form Florence.
(c) He was accused of treachery against the Emperor.
(d) His wife left him for a Ghibelline captain.
3. Which of the following is not a sin punished in the lowest three circles of Hell?
4. Of what does the river in which the violent are punished consist?
5. Why is Dante pale at the beginning of Canto 9?
(a) He fears he will not enter the dread city.
(b) He is overcome by the stench of Hell.
(c) He is recalling the death of Beatrice.
(d) He has seen too much torment.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Canto 16, from what two blights does Dante insist Florence is presently suffering?
2. What is Minos's job in Hell?
3. Who is being burned in flaming chests at the end of Canto 9?
4. How does Dante describe the tree in Canto 13?
5. According to Virgil at the end of Canto 14, all the rivers of Hell flow from the body of a man standing in what island?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)