Eight Week Quiz A
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Canto IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Canto 1, what does Virgil prophesy the vice-less greyhound will do?
(a) Speak to Dante.
(b) Descend from the mountain.
(c) Save Italy.
(d) Die by the hand of the she-wolf.
2. Why are certain tormented souls of the fourth circle tonsured in Canto 7?
(a) They worked for the Vatican.
(b) They stole from their families.
(c) They were beheaded.
(d) They refused to acknowledge their sin.
3. In Canto 5, what sin has damned sinners to the second circle of Hell?
(c) Wrathful violence.
(d) Carnal passion.
4. In Canto 3, what is buffeting the sinners of the second circle of Hell?
(a) Tongues of flame.
(b) A raging river.
(c) A tempest.
(d) A club of demons.
5. What makes Dante weep in Canto 3?
(a) The memory of his lost love.
(b) The agonized cries behind the gates of Hell.
(c) The prospect of entering Hell.
(d) The faces of dead souls walking toward Hell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Dante last enter the dread city?
2. How does Dante compare himself to Aeneas and Paul in Canto 2?
3. Why are souls put into Limbo?
4. How are the gluttons of the third circle punished?
5. Who is being burned in flaming chests at the end of Canto 9?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)