Canto I | Canto II
* Dante is lost in a Dark Wood.
* Virgil, at Beatrice's request, agrees to guide Dante.
Canto III | Canto IV
* Dante sees the lukewarm in the plains outside Hell.
* Dante sees the righteous nonbelievers in Limbo, the first circle.
Canto V | Canto VI
* Dante sees the carnal sinners of the second circle.
* Dante speaks with Ciacca the glutton about Florence in the third circle.
Canto VII | Canto VIII
* Dante sees the avaricious and prodigal punished in the fourth circle.
* Dante crosses the Styx, where the wrathful are punished.
* Fallen angels try to halt Dante and Virgil.
* An angel from Heaven gains Dante and Virgil entry to Dis.
* Dante learns of his exile from Florence from the heretic Farinata.
* Dante learns Beatrice will tell his whole life's path.
* Virgil explains who is kept in the lowest circles of Hell.
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)