|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Shevek's arrival such an important occasion?
2. What kind of poor people does Shevek say he sees while driving about?
3. Why does Shevek find shopping such as awful experience?
4. Why does Dr. Kimoe throw Shevek's pajamas in the trash?
5. From which world is the language of Lotic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Shevek learned about from going to Urras?
2. What hope does Shevek and Ketho bring to the two planets?
3. How does Shevek now view his own society?
4. What line doe Shevek draw between the Urrasti and Anarresti pasts?
5. In what way does Shevek re-evaluate his purpose on Urras?
6. How does Shevek cope with leaving behind the familiarity of his world?
7. How does Vea see Shevek's ideal society?
8. What do you think Shevek discoverd at the Terran Embassy?
9. In what way does the demonstration wake up the rebels?
10. What is the overall outcome of the council meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your thoughts on the following statement: Married couples or people in long-term relationships should live apart so they can achieve their own goals and develop their own life.
Essay Topic 2
A major theme in the book is that different people have different ideas and at one point Shevek has an argument with Vea. How do their opinions differ? Why is it important that they come to a compromise?
Essay Topic 3
The Anarres government tries its best to portray Urras in a negative light. What countries and groups do you think America presents in a negative light in:
1) The media
What are the reasons for doing this? What effect does it have?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)