|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who denies Shevek his request to teach his theories?
2. How does Shevek shock his new friends?
3. For how long is Kadagv imprisoned?
4. What is the name of Shevek's teacher?
5. What hits Shevak on the shoulder?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what does Shevek now feel disorientated?
2. What does Shevek hope to achieve with his printing syndicate?
3. In what way is Shevek finding it difficult to adjust to his surroundings?
4. For what is Shevek really fighting?
5. What does Takver's presence make Shevek realize?
6. What do you think the wall symbolizes in this chapter?
7. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
8. What does the image of the wall symbolize in this chapter?
9. In what way does the demonstration wake up the rebels?
10. What is the overall outcome of the council meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ursula Le Gun is known as a feminist science fiction writer.
1) How are her views reflected in the novel?
2) Compare her views to feminism in today's society.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Urras and Anarres. What are the negative and positive points of each society? Are there similar countries in our reality? What are their relationships?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Shevek founds a printing syndicate to counter censorship. What do you think a printing syndicate could achieve? What effect do newspapers have on the public conscious? Think abut censorship in America. How have people battled against it?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)