|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the engineers say Shevek can help make possible?
2. How did Urras punish Odo?
3. To whom does Mitis send Shedek's paper?
4. With whom does Shedak copulate?
5. Who denies Shevek his request to teach his theories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the wall means in relation to the contact he has to make with Urras?
2. How does seeing Odo's grave and prison give Shevek a better perspective?
3. How does Sabul prove Tirin's theory correct?
4. How does the note in Shevek finds in his pocket change his view on Urras?
5. How has Bedap's views changed since Shevek last met him?
6. How does Shevek realize that Tirrin's ideas were right?
7. Why does Shevek feel anger towards his mother when he meets her?
8. What has Shevek learned about from going to Urras?
9. How does Shevek reflect the values on Anarres?
10. In what ways does Shevek begin to feel more connected to the Urrasti people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What similarities do Le Guin's worlds have with our own world?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Ursula's Le Guin's viewpoint is in the novel? In what ways does she show it?
Essay Topic 3
Le Guin often talks negatively about Urras and its materialism. How true do you think Le Guin's negative representation of materialism is? What kind of society does materialism create?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)