|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what country is Chifoilisk?
2. What is the name of Shevek's teacher?
3. What does Shevek find does not exist in Urras to the degree he thought it did?
4. Where does Shevek begin his teaching on Urras?
5. How do Shevek and Bedap put an end to their arguing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does time again become an issue in this chapter?
2. What does the image of the wall symbolize in this chapter?
3. In what way does the demonstration wake up the rebels?
4. What does the man's hand, shot off at the end of the chapter, symbolize to Shevek?
5. For what is Shevek really fighting?
6. What do you think Shevek discoverd at the Terran Embassy?
7. What is Shevek's world like?
8. What hope does Shevek and Ketho bring to the two planets?
9. What is the overall outcome of the council meeting?
10. What does Shevek believe he is seeing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an anarchist society? What do you think it would be like to live in one?
Essay Topic 2
In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
Essay Topic 3
A major theme in the book is that different people have different ideas and at one point Shevek has an argument with Vea. How do their opinions differ? Why is it important that they come to a compromise?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)