|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Shevek and Bedap put an end to their arguing?
2. What does Bedap think the Anarres power structure is doing?
3. Whose grave does Shevek visit?
4. Which friend's conversation does Shevek recall?
5. Who tends to Shevek while he is aboard the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shevek react when Rulag tells him she is proud of him?
2. How does Shevek reflect the values on Anarres?
3. What is Shevek's world like?
4. Why have the two societies cut themselves off from each other?
5. Why do you think Tirrin reacted so badly to the Authorities' not liking his play?
6. How does time again become an issue in this chapter?
7. Why is it important the Hainishman leaves his ship to look around Anarres?
8. How does Vea see Shevek's ideal society?
9. Why is the return of the character Bedap important?
10. What does the image of the wall symbolize in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Arranes is often seen as a Utopia and Urranes as a Dystopia. What is a Utopia and what is a Dystopia? Do you think people have different ideas of what Dystopia and Utopia are?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, Shevek founds a printing syndicate to counter censorship. What do you think a printing syndicate could achieve? What effect do newspapers have on the public conscious? Think abut censorship in America. How have people battled against it?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)