|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which of the doctors does Shedek show admiration?
2. Of which doctor does Shevek write a critique?
3. How is the city different to other cities in which Shevek has lived?
4. Which friend's conversation does Shevek recall?
5. What do Shevek and his friends build?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the two societies cut themselves off from each other?
2. In what way has Anarres become resemble more a dystopia than utopia?
3. How will Shevek's temporal theory bring world's together?
4. In what way is Shevek finding it difficult to adjust to his surroundings?
5. Why it is important for Shevek and Takver not to "own each other"?
6. How does seeing Odo's grave and prison give Shevek a better perspective?
7. How has Bedap's views changed since Shevek last met him?
8. Why does Shevek think he is selling his soul to Sabul?
9. How does Sabul prove Tirin's theory correct?
10. What hope does Shevek and Ketho bring to the two planets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shevek writes two papers in the novel.
1) Principles of Simultanely
2) General Temporal Theory
Describe each paper and discuss how Shevek's ideas have matured through the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Ursula's Le Guin's viewpoint is in the novel? In what ways does she show it?
Essay Topic 3
What are Shevak's goals in this book? How does he achieve them? What mistakes does he make? How does he learn from his mistakes?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)