|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Shevek's mother?
2. What does Shevek do after leaving the infirmary?
3. Which character visits Shevek in the infirmary?
4. About what does Shevek dream?
5. What is Palat's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Shevek feel isolated?
2. How has Bedap's views changed since Shevek last met him?
3. What hope does Shevek and Ketho bring to the two planets?
4. Why is the return of the character Bedap important?
5. What is the difference between Shevek and Tirn's view on why they are forbidden to interact with Urrasti?
6. What is the only way Shevek can achieve his mission?
7. How does Shevek realize that Tirrin's ideas were right?
8. How does Shevek now view his own society?
9. In what way is Shevek finding it difficult to adjust to his surroundings?
10. What does the image of the wall symbolize in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel reflect the 1960s and 1970s concerns?
Essay Topic 2
What are Shevak's goals in this book? How does he achieve them? What mistakes does he make? How does he learn from his mistakes?
Essay Topic 3
In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)