|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Shevek when he arrives in Urras?
2. Which character does Bedap say has spent time on Segvina Island Asylum?
3. What do the engineers say Shevek can help make possible?
4. Which character visits Shevek in the infirmary?
5. What was Odo during his lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shevek think he is selling his soul to Sabul?
2. What do you think Shevek discoverd at the Terran Embassy?
3. How does Shevek cope with leaving behind the familiarity of his world?
4. In what does time again become an important factor at the end of the chapter?
5. In what way is Vea's argument similar to Bedap's?
6. In what ways does Shevek begin to feel more connected to the Urrasti people?
7. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
8. What is Shevek's world like?
9. What does Shevek believe he is seeing?
10. In what way does the demonstration wake up the rebels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in the book is that different people have different ideas and at one point Shevek has an argument with Vea. How do their opinions differ? Why is it important that they come to a compromise?
Essay Topic 2
The Anarres government tries its best to portray Urras in a negative light. What countries and groups do you think America presents in a negative light in:
1) The media
What are the reasons for doing this? What effect does it have?
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel reflect the 1960s and 1970s concerns?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)