|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shevek decide the Anarres settlers did?
2. What was Odo during his lifetime?
3. Which of the following is a scientific theory about which the scientists talk to Shevek?
4. Who denies Shevek his request to teach his theories?
5. Why did Rulag abandon Shevek as a baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shevek now represent to his world?
2. What has Shevek learned about from going to Urras?
3. In what does Shevek now feel disorientated?
4. How does Sabul prove Tirin's theory correct?
5. Why have the two societies cut themselves off from each other?
6. How does Shevek realize that Tirrin's ideas were right?
7. How does the note in Shevek finds in his pocket change his view on Urras?
8. What does Takver's presence make Shevek realize?
9. How does time again become an issue in this chapter?
10. How does Shevek cope with leaving behind the familiarity of his world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1The Anarres government tries its best to portray Urras in a negative light. What countries and groups do you think America presents in a negative light in: 1) The media 2) Education What are the reasons for doing this? What effect does it have?
Essay Topic 2In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
Essay Topic 3In what way does Shevak's move from isolation to socializing change his character? What does isolation teach him? What does socializing teach him?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)