|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Shevek's teacher?
2. What does Bedap think the Anarres power structure is doing?
3. What surrounds the Anarranes port?
4. Why did Rulag abandon Shevek as a baby?
5. For what does Shevek ask the scientists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabul prove Tirin's theory correct?
2. What hope does Shevek and Ketho bring to the two planets?
3. In what does Shevek now feel disorientated?
4. What do you think the wall symbolizes in this chapter?
5. Why is it important the Hainishman leaves his ship to look around Anarres?
6. What has Shevek learned about from going to Urras?
7. Why do you think the citizens of Anarres do not climb the wall?
8. In what way is Shevek finding it difficult to adjust to his surroundings?
9. How does Shevek realize that Tirrin's ideas were right?
10. In what way do Shevek and Takver deal differently with the drought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Shevak's move from isolation to socializing change his character? What does isolation teach him? What does socializing teach him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Shevek's character.
1) What is his background?
2) What does he look like?
3) What are his motivations and objectives?
4) Why is he so important to the two worlds?
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel reflect the 1960s and 1970s concerns?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)