|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tirrin contend with Shevek about Urras?
2. What year is Shevek in when Gvarab dies?
3. Why is Shevek surprised that the scientists on Anarres correspond with Urrasti scientists?
4. Which area of science do the scientists debate?
5. What is Shevek's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What importance does the phrase "working together" hold for Shevek?
2. In what does Shevek now feel disorientated?
3. How does Shevek realize that Tirrin's ideas were right?
4. How does the note in Shevek finds in his pocket change his view on Urras?
5. What does Shevek now represent to his world?
6. What symbolizes the fact they may not be living in a truly free society?
7. What is the significance of the wall surrounding the port?
8. Why does Tirin rebel against his society's view of the universe?
9. What does Shevek believe he is seeing?
10. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shevek writes two papers in the novel.
1) Principles of Simultanely
2) General Temporal Theory
Describe each paper and discuss how Shevek's ideas have matured through the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Ursula's Le Guin's viewpoint is in the novel? In what ways does she show it?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Arranes is often seen as a Utopia and Urranes as a Dystopia. What is a Utopia and what is a Dystopia? Do you think people have different ideas of what Dystopia and Utopia are?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)