|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Bedap say has spent time on Segvina Island Asylum?
2. What is the name of Shevek's teacher?
3. What kind of living quarters does the institute provide for Shevek
4. How long is the journey to Urras?
5. Which friend's conversation does Shevek recall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shevek believe he is seeing?
2. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
3. What does Shevek hope to achieve with his printing syndicate?
4. How does the note in Shevek finds in his pocket change his view on Urras?
5. In what way does the demonstration wake up the rebels?
6. How has Bedap's views changed since Shevek last met him?
7. What is Shevek's world like?
8. How does Vea see Shevek's ideal society?
9. What do you think the wall means in relation to the contact he has to make with Urras?
10. What does Kvetur's imprisonment symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Shevek's character.
1) What is his background?
2) What does he look like?
3) What are his motivations and objectives?
4) Why is he so important to the two worlds?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel reflect the 1960s and 1970s concerns?
Essay Topic 3
Ursula Le Gun is known as a feminist science fiction writer.
1) How are her views reflected in the novel?
2) Compare her views to feminism in today's society.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)