|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year is Shevek in when Gvarab dies?
2. Why does Shevek find shopping such as awful experience?
3. What does Dr.Kimoe give Shevek?
4. To where is Shevek traveling?
5. Which of the following does Shevek have in Urras that he does not have at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Anarres become resemble more a dystopia than utopia?
2. In what ways does Shevek feel isolated?
3. How has Bedap's views changed since Shevek last met him?
4. Why does Shevek not see his apparent freedom as a good thing?
5. How does seeing Odo's grave and prison give Shevek a better perspective?
6. What does Shevek believe he is seeing?
7. How will Shevek's temporal theory bring world's together?
8. Why it is important for Shevek and Takver not to "own each other"?
9. What is the significance of the wall surrounding the port?
10. Why does Tirin rebel against his society's view of the universe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Arranes is often seen as a Utopia and Urranes as a Dystopia. What is a Utopia and what is a Dystopia? Do you think people have different ideas of what Dystopia and Utopia are?
Essay Topic 2
The wall is an important metaphor in the story and means different things at different points.
1) What does the wall that surrounds the Port of Anarres symbolize?
2) What is the significance of the prison walls that surround Kadagv?
3) What is the link between the wall and Shevek's parents?
4) What do you think the overall meaning of the wall is?
Essay Topic 3
What similarities do Le Guin's worlds have with our own world?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)