|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Shevek's teacher?
2. Which of the following is a scientific theory about which the scientists talk to Shevek?
3. What does Shevek spend his free time doing?
4. What does Shevek decide the Anarres settlers did?
5. How is the city different to other cities in which Shevek has lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think the wall means in relation to the contact he has to make with Urras?
2. What is the difference between Shevek and Tirn's view on why they are forbidden to interact with Urrasti?
3. What is the only way Shevek can achieve his mission?
4. What does the image of the wall symbolize in this chapter?
5. In what way is Shevek finding it difficult to adjust to his surroundings?
6. In what way has Anarres become resemble more a dystopia than utopia?
7. Why does Tirin rebel against his society's view of the universe?
8. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
9. What does Kvetur's imprisonment symbolize?
10. How does Shevek reflect the values on Anarres?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme in the book is that different people have different ideas and at one point Shevek has an argument with Vea. How do their opinions differ? Why is it important that they come to a compromise?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss your thoughts on the following statement: Married couples or people in long-term relationships should live apart so they can achieve their own goals and develop their own life.
Essay Topic 3
The wall is an important metaphor in the story and means different things at different points.
1) What does the wall that surrounds the Port of Anarres symbolize?
2) What is the significance of the prison walls that surround Kadagv?
3) What is the link between the wall and Shevek's parents?
4) What do you think the overall meaning of the wall is?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)