|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surrounds the Anarranes port?
2. About what does Shevek dream?
3. What happened to Kadagv while he was imprisoned?
4. For how long is Kadagv imprisoned?
5. What does Chifoilisk tell Shevek?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does living in Abbeney widen Shevek's limited experience?
2. Why does Shevek feel anger towards his mother when he meets her?
3. What does Shevek believe he is seeing?
4. What is the significance of the wall surrounding the port?
5. What is the overall outcome of the council meeting?
6. In what way has Anarres become resemble more a dystopia than utopia?
7. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
8. What does Kvetur's imprisonment symbolize?
9. Why it is important for Shevek and Takver not to "own each other"?
10. In what way is Vea's argument similar to Bedap's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does Shevak's move from isolation to socializing change his character? What does isolation teach him? What does socializing teach him?
Essay Topic 2
In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
Essay Topic 3
The wall is an important metaphor in the story and means different things at different points.
1) What does the wall that surrounds the Port of Anarres symbolize?
2) What is the significance of the prison walls that surround Kadagv?
3) What is the link between the wall and Shevek's parents?
4) What do you think the overall meaning of the wall is?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)