|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Shevek surprised that the scientists on Anarres correspond with Urrasti scientists?
2. Which of his old friends does Shevek run into after the death of his teacher?
3. Why does Sabul become angry with Shevek?
4. What is the name of Shevek's father?
5. What is Sabul's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Shevek and Tirn's view on why they are forbidden to interact with Urrasti?
2. What do you think the wall symbolizes in this chapter?
3. How does Shevek now view his own society?
4. What does Takver's presence make Shevek realize?
5. How is Shevek forced to reevaluate his concept of time?
6. In what way is Vea's argument similar to Bedap's?
7. What does Kvetur's imprisonment symbolize?
8. How will Shevek's temporal theory bring world's together?
9. In what way does Shevek re-evaluate his purpose on Urras?
10. How does Bedap wake Shevek up to his original goals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
Essay Topic 2
What similarities do Le Guin's worlds have with our own world?
Essay Topic 3
What are Shevak's goals in this book? How does he achieve them? What mistakes does he make? How does he learn from his mistakes?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)