|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the city different to other cities in which Shevek has lived?
2. What year is Shevek in when Gvarab dies?
3. What surrounds the Anarranes port?
4. What is Sabul's profession?
5. Which of the following does Shevek have in Urras that he does not have at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Vea's argument similar to Bedap's?
2. How does Sabul prove Tirin's theory correct?
3. How does the note in Shevek finds in his pocket change his view on Urras?
4. What line doe Shevek draw between the Urrasti and Anarresti pasts?
5. Why have the two societies cut themselves off from each other?
6. How has Bedap's views changed since Shevek last met him?
7. How is Shevek forced to reevaluate his concept of time?
8. How does Shevek's trip to the retail district of Nio Esseia poke holes in his belief that Urrasti society is all-providing?
9. How does Shevek reflect the values on Anarres?
10. In what way does Efor stoke Shevek's sense of failure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ursula Le Gun is known as a feminist science fiction writer.
1) How are her views reflected in the novel?
2) Compare her views to feminism in today's society.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Urras and Anarres. What are the negative and positive points of each society? Are there similar countries in our reality? What are their relationships?
Essay Topic 3
In the 4th chapter, Shevek meets his mother for the first time in years. What does his reaction show about him as a person? Does the meeting help or hinder his progress? Does he change in any way after the meeting?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)