|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which friend's conversation does Shevek recall?
2. What does Palat give Shevek on his return?
3. Why does Dr. Kimoe throw Shevek's pajamas in the trash?
4. Who is waiting for Shevek when he arrives in Urras?
5. With whom does Shedak copulate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the two societies cut themselves off from each other?
2. In what way does Shevek re-evaluate his purpose on Urras?
3. What do you think the wall symbolizes in this chapter?
4. What is the only way Shevek can achieve his mission?
5. Why it is important for Shevek and Takver not to "own each other"?
6. Why do you think Tirrin reacted so badly to the Authorities' not liking his play?
7. What is the overall outcome of the council meeting?
8. How does time again become an issue in this chapter?
9. What negative aspects of Anarrasti society does the meeting highlight?
10. What does Kvetur's imprisonment symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an anarchist society? What do you think it would be like to live in one?
Essay Topic 2
The Anarres government tries its best to portray Urras in a negative light. What countries and groups do you think America presents in a negative light in:
1) The media
What are the reasons for doing this? What effect does it have?
Essay Topic 3
What similarities do Le Guin's worlds have with our own world?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)