|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shevek have to keep the information he will learn secret?
2. Why is Shevek surprised that the scientists on Anarres correspond with Urrasti scientists?
3. How do the professors at the school stop themselves from being distracted?
4. Who tends to Shevek while he is aboard the ship?
5. What does Dr.Kimoe give Shevek?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what does time again become an important factor at the end of the chapter?
2. How does the note in Shevek finds in his pocket change his view on Urras?
3. What do you think Shevek discoverd at the Terran Embassy?
4. Why does Shevek think he is selling his soul to Sabul?
5. What is the significance of the wall surrounding the port?
6. In what ways does Shevek begin to feel more connected to the Urrasti people?
7. What do you think the wall symbolizes in this chapter?
8. In what way does Efor stoke Shevek's sense of failure?
9. In what way has Anarres become resemble more a dystopia than utopia?
10. In what does Shevek now feel disorientated?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your thoughts on the following statement: Married couples or people in long-term relationships should live apart so they can achieve their own goals and develop their own life.
Essay Topic 2
Le Guin often talks negatively about Urras and its materialism. How true do you think Le Guin's negative representation of materialism is? What kind of society does materialism create?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Arranes is often seen as a Utopia and Urranes as a Dystopia. What is a Utopia and what is a Dystopia? Do you think people have different ideas of what Dystopia and Utopia are?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)