|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Shevek surprised that the scientists on Anarres correspond with Urrasti scientists?
(a) He thought it was aginst the laws of both planets
(b) He thought they were both developing theories to defeat the other in war.
(c) He thought the scientists hated each other
(d) He did not think the Urrasti's were capable of interacting with free people.
2. Why does Dr. Kimoe throw Shevek's pajamas in the trash?
(a) It costs less than having them cleaned
(b) He does not like them
(c) Shevek has soiled them
(d) He wants to provide Shevek with silk pajamas.
3. What is the name of Shevek's mother?
4. In what does Chifoilisk say the Urras scientists are particularly interested?
(a) Maintaining their control over the masses
(b) Secrets about Anarres
(c) Shevek's General Temporal Theory
(d) Developing nucler weapons
5. What is the wall for?
(a) It keeps the aliens quarratined
(b) It reduces radiation
(c) It stops viscious sea creatures from entering
(d) It separates the rich from the poor
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the scientists think Shevek is looking for when he asks where all the women are?
2. For which of the doctors does Shedek show admiration?
3. What kind of living quarters does the institute provide for Shevek
4. What do the engineers say Shevek can help make possible?
5. From what country is Chifoilisk?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Shevek begin to feel more connected to the Urrasti people?
2. In what way has Anarres become resemble more a dystopia than utopia?
3. In what way is Shevek finding it difficult to adjust to his surroundings?
4. In what way does Efor stoke Shevek's sense of failure?
5. What does the man's hand, shot off at the end of the chapter, symbolize to Shevek?
6. Why does Shevek feel anger towards his mother when he meets her?
7. What has Shevek learned about from going to Urras?
8. What line doe Shevek draw between the Urrasti and Anarresti pasts?
9. In what ways does Shevek feel isolated?
10. How does seeing Odo's grave and prison give Shevek a better perspective?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)