|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shevek get stuck in a small town?
(a) There is a wreck on the train line
(b) There is a storm
(c) Shevek falls ill
(d) Urras have invaded Abbeney
2. With whom does Shevek try to strike up a conversation?
3. What does Shevek think is holding him back from publishing his General Temporal Theory?
(a) Fear of imprisonment
(b) Fear of his life
(c) Because it will put his family in danger
(d) Fear that it will be disproved
4. On what country in Urras is a revolution taking place?
(b) Nio Esseia
5. What does Bedap say one seeks to avoid on Anarres?
(b) A long term relationship
(d) His neighbors' disapproval
6. What does Rulag say when Shevek brings up the possibility of an Anarresti visiting Urras?
(a) Such a person would be unable to return
(b) Such a person for fall in love with Urras's consumerism.
(c) Such a person would be killed
(d) Such a person put the whole world in danger
7. Who does Efor take Shevek to meet?
(a) Tuio Maedda
(c) Frank Davis
8. About what does Efor talk to Shevek?
(a) Urras secrets
(b) The revolution
(c) The abominable living conditions of the lower classes
(d) His poor wages
9. Why is Shevek surprised at the poor living conditions he sees in Nio Esseia?
(a) He was told there was no poverty in the country
(b) He had previously thought it was a city of wealth
(c) It is a step away from an area of prosperity
(d) He had never seen poverty
10. What does Takver convince Shevek to do to get his paper published?
(a) Sleep with Sabul
(b) Let Sabul put his name to it
(c) Reword it
(d) Bribe the authorities
11. Where does Sadik stay?
(a) In a children's dormitory
(b) In a friend's apartment
(c) In a hospital
(d) In a nursery
12. What does Shevek think he will achieve by going to Urras?
(a) He will keep the Odonian revolution alive
(b) He will stop the friction between the two planets
(c) He will make peace
(d) He will start a war
13. What effect does Shevek's opinions have on his family?
(a) They are asked to leave the country
(b) They decide to disown Shevek
(c) They become very popular
(d) They are bullied by school mates and work colleagues
14. With what culture is Keng associated?
(a) The Urrastis
(b) The Terrans
(c) The Hainish
(d) The Anarestis
15. What does Shevek say the change in society is going against?
(a) The people's basic human rights
(b) His own beliefs
(c) The Odonian ethic of decentralization
(d) The constitution
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Shevek and his friends celebrating?
2. What disgusts Shevek about what he hears about the revolution?
3. What does insurrection day commemorate?
4. What did seeing Tirin make Shevek realize?
5. How long does Shevek shut himself in his room?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)