|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whose family does Shevek spend a week?
2. What effect does Shevek's opinions have on his family?
(a) They are bullied by school mates and work colleagues
(b) They are asked to leave the country
(c) They become very popular
(d) They decide to disown Shevek
3. What does one man think the real Odonians will do to someone who leaves to go to Urras?
(a) Worship them
(b) Put them on trial
(c) Imprison them
(d) Exact violence on them
4. What does insurrection day commemorate?
(a) Their president's birthday
(b) Anarres's independence from Urras
(c) The first Odonian uprising on Urras
(d) The founding of the Anarres constitution
5. Why is Shevek surprised at the poor living conditions he sees in Nio Esseia?
(a) He had previously thought it was a city of wealth
(b) He had never seen poverty
(c) He was told there was no poverty in the country
(d) It is a step away from an area of prosperity
6. Who does Efor take Shevek to meet?
(a) Frank Davis
(d) Tuio Maedda
7. What does Shevek do while waiting for Takver to finish her posting?
(a) Spends time with Sadik
(b) Watches films
(c) Writes a scientific paper
(d) Begins to organize a revolution
8. What happens in the summer?
(a) Takver and Shevek split up
(b) Shevek is offered a job in Urras
(c) Anarres win the football world cup
(d) There is a drought
9. Why does Keng say Urras is a paradise?
(a) Because her own society has ruined its planet
(b) Because there is no poverty
(c) Because the weather is always nice
(d) Because they allow you to become rich
10. What does Rulag say when Shevek brings up the possibility of an Anarresti visiting Urras?
(a) Such a person would be killed
(b) Such a person for fall in love with Urras's consumerism.
(c) Such a person put the whole world in danger
(d) Such a person would be unable to return
11. What do Shevek and the council think Anarres is compared to Urras?
(a) A free country
(b) A dystopia
(c) A democracy
(d) A Utopia
12. Which group of people turn on Shevek when he goes to talk to them about his views?
(c) Old age pensioners
13. Why is Shevek restricted to campus?
(a) Because they no longer trust him
(b) Because he is ill
(c) Because of the revolution
(d) Because he has uncovered a top secret
14. What disgusts Shevek about what he hears about the revolution?
(a) The violence
(b) Its racist attitudes
(c) Its treatment of women
(d) Its passive nature
15. To whom does Shevek find himself attracted?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did seeing Tirin make Shevek realize?
2. Why does Keng believe her planet will never be like Anarres
3. With what culture is Keng associated?
4. Why does Shevek want to give his theory to the Terrans?
5. What name do Takver and Shevek give their daughter?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)