|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the troops find in the city of Hue?
2. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
3. What is the trick to survival?
4. Why do military officials say Khe Sanh is different from Dien Bien Phu?
5. In what city is Herr's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
2. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
3. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
4. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
5. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
6. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
7. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
8. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
9. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
10. Who are the Montagnards and what role do they play in the Vietnam War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What type of relationship do the soldiers and correspondents maintain? Is it symbiotic? Are there moments of tension? Are they respectful?
Essay Topic 2Discuss the culture of America that Vietnam Veterans returned to. How were they greeted and treated? What opportunities were available to them or denied them because of their time in Vietnam? How did their family members and friends treat returning soldiers?
Essay Topic 3Discuss the difficulty Herr and the other correspondents face during get togethers. Why is it difficult for them to act relaxed and talk normally? Why does Herr feel longing and emptiness during their meetings?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)