|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Herr's apartment?
2. What is the trick to survival?
3. What does Herr wear on his first day in Vietnam?
4. Who do some American soldiers fight for?
5. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
2. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
3. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
4. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
5. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
6. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
7. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
8. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
9. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
10. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of relationship do the soldiers and correspondents maintain? Is it symbiotic? Are there moments of tension? Are they respectful?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the state of Vietnam when Herr arrives in Saigon. What is the history of the war up to that point? Who has been involved? Who is fighting? What are the issues being fought for? Who controls the land? Who controls the air? How are the Vietnamese people coping with the constant state of war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)