|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some soldiers feel they must stop the war or Communism will go where?
2. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
3. Who do some American soldiers fight for?
4. What do men do to reduce glare?
5. What do most of the soldiers try to avoid in one way or another?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
2. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
3. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
4. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
5. Describe the stories Herr hears from the soldiers.
6. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
7. Why do soldiers take body part trophies? Does drug use play a role in this practice?
8. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
9. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
10. Describe the soldier who tells Herr that he knows how to use both types of drugs to handle the war.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of the war correspondents in Vietnam. Are the correspondents always professional? Why do they take unnecessary risks? What type of reports do they send back to the States? What governing body edits the reports written in the field? Are all the reporters in Vietnam actual war correspondents?
Essay Topic 2
How does the attitude of the Marines compliment the denial of reality by government officials? How do both of these attitudes affect the morale of troops?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rock and roll culture in America during the 1960s. How did the music parallel the political environment of the decade? How did the lives of the rock artists mimic the experiences of the Vietnam soldiers?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)