|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr say finally happened to the young marine?
2. What battles take place in 1965 that cost numerous American lives?
3. Who is defeated during the battle of Dien Bien Phu?
4. Which president declares that Khe Sanh cannot fall to the NVA?
5. There are eight thousand American troops facing how many NVA troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
2. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
3. Why do soldiers take body part trophies? Does drug use play a role in this practice?
4. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
5. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
6. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
7. Discuss Page's wound and his recovery.
8. What is Soc Trang and what does it promise Herr?
9. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
10. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Page. What type of man is he? How does he act? Why do the Marines view Page as the real enemy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difficulty Herr and the other correspondents face during get togethers. Why is it difficult for them to act relaxed and talk normally? Why does Herr feel longing and emptiness during their meetings?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)