|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is defeated during the battle of Dien Bien Phu?
2. Where are the Americans best at fighting?
3. When was terrorism at its worst?
4. When do NVA troops begin building up around the Khe Sanh base?
5. When does the Tet Offensive begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
2. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
3. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
4. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
5. What is Soc Trang and what does it promise Herr?
6. Who are Day Tripper and Mayhew? What does Herr do with them?
7. Describe China Beach and what soldiers do there.
8. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
9. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
10. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of relationship do the soldiers and correspondents maintain? Is it symbiotic? Are there moments of tension? Are they respectful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Montagnard people. Who are they? What role did they play in the war? How did the war affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rock and roll culture in America during the 1960s. How did the music parallel the political environment of the decade? How did the lives of the rock artists mimic the experiences of the Vietnam soldiers?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)