|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
2. Who does Herr tour a palace with?
3. What do men do to reduce glare?
4. The VC conserves what?
5. Who set the booby trap on the latrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
2. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
3. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
4. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
5. What timeframe is Herr writing during? Is there any significance to the fact that he is writing at this time?
6. Describe China Beach and what soldiers do there.
7. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
8. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
9. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
10. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of relationship do the soldiers and correspondents maintain? Is it symbiotic? Are there moments of tension? Are they respectful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actions of the war correspondents in Vietnam. Are the correspondents always professional? Why do they take unnecessary risks? What type of reports do they send back to the States? What governing body edits the reports written in the field? Are all the reporters in Vietnam actual war correspondents?
Essay Topic 3
Major Trong does not tell Herr who the last emperor of Vietnam was but states that he is the new emperor. How does his statement affect Herr and the war? What do you make of Trong's refusal to answer Herr's question? Do you think Trong's statement is one based on truth or on greed for power?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)