|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Herr finally take up a weapon?
2. Who set the booby trap on the latrine?
3. Who is defeated during the battle of Dien Bien Phu?
4. What does Herr smoke before sleeping that causes him to have strange dreams?
5. Where is the enemy most effective?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
2. What are the two realities of Vietnam and how do they differ?
3. Describe the reaction Herr has to seeing dead bodies and how the soldiers react when they kill the enemy.
4. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
5. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
6. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
7. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
8. How does the Vietnam War impact more than just the country of Vietnam?
9. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
10. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rock and roll culture in America during the 1960s. How did the music parallel the political environment of the decade? How did the lives of the rock artists mimic the experiences of the Vietnam soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the state of Vietnam when Herr arrives in Saigon. What is the history of the war up to that point? Who has been involved? Who is fighting? What are the issues being fought for? Who controls the land? Who controls the air? How are the Vietnamese people coping with the constant state of war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Herr's statement that Saigon looks beautiful from the air but up close is really a crime ridden trash heap. How does this statement apply to the entire Vietnam War?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)