Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. President Johnson's comment about Khe Sanh is considered what?
2. When does Herr finally take up a weapon?
3. What happens to bodies that cannot be positively identified?
4. What is the most popular strategy for ending the war according to the soldiers?
5. What is a LRRP?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
2. Khe Sanh is compared to another battle fought nearly ten years earlier. What is the name of that battle and what happened?
3. What are the two realities of Vietnam and how do they differ?
4. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
5. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
6. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
7. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
8. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
9. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
10. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the state of Vietnam when Herr arrives in Saigon. What is the history of the war up to that point? Who has been involved? Who is fighting? What are the issues being fought for? Who controls the land? Who controls the air? How are the Vietnamese people coping with the constant state of war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the culture of America that Vietnam Veterans returned to. How were they greeted and treated? What opportunities were available to them or denied them because of their time in Vietnam? How did their family members and friends treat returning soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how exhaustion and frustration with the war affect the soldiers. What do the soldiers do that costs some of them their lives? What has their time in country done to their belief in the war and in the odds of survival?
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)