|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do men do to reduce glare?
2. Who says he is now emperor?
3. Where is Herr working as a war correspondent?
4. What do the troops find in the city of Hue?
5. When does Herr finally take up a weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
2. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
3. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
4. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
5. Describe the soldier who tells Herr that he knows how to use both types of drugs to handle the war.
6. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
7. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
8. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
9. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
10. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of the war correspondents in Vietnam. Are the correspondents always professional? Why do they take unnecessary risks? What type of reports do they send back to the States? What governing body edits the reports written in the field? Are all the reporters in Vietnam actual war correspondents?
Essay Topic 2
How does the attitude of the Marines compliment the denial of reality by government officials? How do both of these attitudes affect the morale of troops?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the title of Chapter 4, Illumination Rounds. What are illumination rounds in a military sense? What are the illumination rounds Herr discusses?
This section contains 1,848 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)