|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. President Johnson's comment about Khe Sanh is considered what?
2. When does Herr finally take up a weapon?
3. What happens to bodies that cannot be positively identified?
4. What is the most popular strategy for ending the war according to the soldiers?
5. What is a LRRP?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
2. Khe Sanh is compared to another battle fought nearly ten years earlier. What is the name of that battle and what happened?
3. What are the two realities of Vietnam and how do they differ?
4. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
5. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
6. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
7. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
8. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
9. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
10. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
Essay Topic 1
How does the attitude of the Marines compliment the denial of reality by government officials? How do both of these attitudes affect the morale of troops?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of Chapter 4, Illumination Rounds. What are illumination rounds in a military sense? What are the illumination rounds Herr discusses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)