|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do some American soldiers fight for?
2. What happens to bodies that cannot be positively identified?
3. Some soldiers feel they must stop the war or Communism will go where?
4. Where is Herr working as a war correspondent?
5. What is the trick to survival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
2. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
3. What role does luck play in the lives of the soldiers?
4. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
5. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
6. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
7. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
8. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
9. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
10. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Herr's statement that Saigon looks beautiful from the air but up close is really a crime ridden trash heap. How does this statement apply to the entire Vietnam War?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of Chapter 4, Illumination Rounds. What are illumination rounds in a military sense? What are the illumination rounds Herr discusses?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the state of Vietnam when Herr arrives in Saigon. What is the history of the war up to that point? Who has been involved? Who is fighting? What are the issues being fought for? Who controls the land? Who controls the air? How are the Vietnamese people coping with the constant state of war?
This section contains 1,961 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)