|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a fatal mistake made by the Marines?
2. What does NVA stand for?
3. From where is the young marine departing?
4. What does Herr say plays behind the young marine's eyes?
5. No soldier would want to return home with this.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
2. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
3. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
4. Discuss Page's wound and his recovery.
5. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
6. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
7. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
8. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
9. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
10. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of relationship do the soldiers and correspondents maintain? Is it symbiotic? Are there moments of tension? Are they respectful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the various reactions of soldiers and correspondents to the mountains of death they encounter each day. Why do some soldiers react with arousal while others are repulsed? How do the soldiers learn to cope with what they are ordered to do and what happens to them? How do students suppose that the soldiers overcome what they witness or perform during the war? Discuss the increase instances of post-traumatic stress disorder and how the American people reacted to veterans with flashbacks?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)