|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where is the young marine departing?
2. The dreams of the soldiers become what?
3. What battles take place in 1965 that cost numerous American lives?
4. What is the young marine's laugh like when it does come out?
5. What does ARVN stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
2. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
3. Describe the reaction Herr has to seeing dead bodies and how the soldiers react when they kill the enemy.
4. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
5. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
6. What do the soldiers expect to find at Hue? What are they greeted with? How does the battle turn out?
7. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
8. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
9. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
10. Khe Sanh is compared to another battle fought nearly ten years earlier. What is the name of that battle and what happened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the culture of America that Vietnam Veterans returned to. How were they greeted and treated? What opportunities were available to them or denied them because of their time in Vietnam? How did their family members and friends treat returning soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how exhaustion and frustration with the war affect the soldiers. What do the soldiers do that costs some of them their lives? What has their time in country done to their belief in the war and in the odds of survival?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the geographical designations of Vietnam with the military names assigned to the areas. How do the military names further destroy the country of Vietnam? Why do you think that the military felt the need to assign names to the four main regions of Vietnam?
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)