|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Herr tour a palace with?
2. Why does the young marine not show any mirth in his smile?
3. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
4. How long does it take for Herr to hear all the variations of war stories?
5. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
2. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
3. Who are Day Tripper and Mayhew? What does Herr do with them?
4. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
5. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
6. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
7. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
8. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
9. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
10. Describe the stories Herr hears from the soldiers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the title of Chapter 4, Illumination Rounds. What are illumination rounds in a military sense? What are the illumination rounds Herr discusses?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Page. What type of man is he? How does he act? Why do the Marines view Page as the real enemy?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the geographical designations of Vietnam with the military names assigned to the areas. How do the military names further destroy the country of Vietnam? Why do you think that the military felt the need to assign names to the four main regions of Vietnam?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)