|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr call a company of soldiers returning from battle?
2. What tribes control the mountains?
3. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
4. Which president declares that Khe Sanh cannot fall to the NVA?
5. What does NVA stand for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
2. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
3. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
4. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
5. What is Soc Trang and what does it promise Herr?
6. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
7. How does the Vietnam War impact more than just the country of Vietnam?
8. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
9. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
10. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Martin Luther King Jr.'s death on the Vietnam War both at home and overseas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how exhaustion and frustration with the war affect the soldiers. What do the soldiers do that costs some of them their lives? What has their time in country done to their belief in the war and in the odds of survival?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Page. What type of man is he? How does he act? Why do the Marines view Page as the real enemy?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)