|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
2. What does ARVN stand for?
3. Where does Herr place Khe Sanh?
4. The VC conserves what?
5. Who is defeated during the battle of Dien Bien Phu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
2. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
3. How does the image of the World War II correspondent typing by candlelight relate to the Marines diverse views regarding war correspondents?
4. What are the two realities of Vietnam and how do they differ?
5. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
6. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
7. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
8. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
9. Describe the reaction Herr has to seeing dead bodies and how the soldiers react when they kill the enemy.
10. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the rock and roll culture in America during the 1960s. How did the music parallel the political environment of the decade? How did the lives of the rock artists mimic the experiences of the Vietnam soldiers?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the geographical designations of Vietnam with the military names assigned to the areas. How do the military names further destroy the country of Vietnam? Why do you think that the military felt the need to assign names to the four main regions of Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)