|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Herr in Vietnam?
2. What was once the most beautiful city in Vietnam?
3. Who fought the Vietnamese in Dien Bien Phu?
4. In what city is Herr's apartment?
5. When does the Tet Offensive begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
2. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
3. Who are Day Tripper and Mayhew? What does Herr do with them?
4. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
5. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
6. How does the Vietnam War impact more than just the country of Vietnam?
7. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
8. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
9. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
10. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Martin Luther King Jr.'s death on the Vietnam War both at home and overseas.
Essay Topic 2
Major Trong does not tell Herr who the last emperor of Vietnam was but states that he is the new emperor. How does his statement affect Herr and the war? What do you make of Trong's refusal to answer Herr's question? Do you think Trong's statement is one based on truth or on greed for power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture of America that Vietnam Veterans returned to. How were they greeted and treated? What opportunities were available to them or denied them because of their time in Vietnam? How did their family members and friends treat returning soldiers?
This section contains 1,850 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)