|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most popular strategy for ending the war according to the soldiers?
2. How many times does the young marine miss his transport?
3. What does one soldier do when he sees Herr's bloody nose?
4. Where is the enemy most effective?
5. What is a TAOR?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
2. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
3. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
4. Describe the condition "shell shock." Why do parents fear their sons will come home with it and why do soldiers with it not want to return home?
5. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
6. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
7. Why do soldiers take body part trophies? Does drug use play a role in this practice?
8. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
9. Describe the soldier who tells Herr that he knows how to use both types of drugs to handle the war.
10. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the various reactions of soldiers and correspondents to the mountains of death they encounter each day. Why do some soldiers react with arousal while others are repulsed? How do the soldiers learn to cope with what they are ordered to do and what happens to them? How do students suppose that the soldiers overcome what they witness or perform during the war? Discuss the increase instances of post-traumatic stress disorder and how the American people reacted to veterans with flashbacks?
Essay Topic 2
Major Trong does not tell Herr who the last emperor of Vietnam was but states that he is the new emperor. How does his statement affect Herr and the war? What do you make of Trong's refusal to answer Herr's question? Do you think Trong's statement is one based on truth or on greed for power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rock and roll culture in America during the 1960s. How did the music parallel the political environment of the decade? How did the lives of the rock artists mimic the experiences of the Vietnam soldiers?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)