|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the river by Hue?
2. Who says he is now emperor?
3. What two correspondents spend about a month with Herr?
4. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
5. Where is the enemy most effective?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
2. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
3. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
4. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
5. Describe Herr's memories of Vietnam.
6. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
7. Why do you think the chaplain lies to the soldier whose legs have been blown off?
8. Why do soldiers take body part trophies? Does drug use play a role in this practice?
9. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
10. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Herr's statement that Saigon looks beautiful from the air but up close is really a crime ridden trash heap. How does this statement apply to the entire Vietnam War?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the truth of the war. The soldiers fight battles that are not won or lost but are reported as victories. What do you make of the officials decisions to lie about the real course of the war? What effect do the lies have on the soldiers? How does the lack of honesty affect the American public's impression of the war?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how exhaustion and frustration with the war affect the soldiers. What do the soldiers do that costs some of them their lives? What has their time in country done to their belief in the war and in the odds of survival?
This section contains 1,827 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)