|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reporters compare the Khe Sanh base to what other military conflict?
2. No soldier would want to return home with this.
3. What do men do to reduce glare?
4. When was terrorism at its worst?
5. What type of transport is the young marine awaiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the chapter's title reflect the feelings of the soldiers and differ from the upper brass's description of the war?
2. What is the result of the siege at Khe Sanh?
3. What is Soc Trang and what does it promise Herr?
4. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
5. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
6. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
7. Describe the events that finally make Herr take up a weapon and the role he plays in the Tet Offensive.
8. What timeframe is Herr writing during? Is there any significance to the fact that he is writing at this time?
9. Discuss some of the reasons men have joined the military.
10. What role does luck play in the lives of the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the geographical designations of Vietnam with the military names assigned to the areas. How do the military names further destroy the country of Vietnam? Why do you think that the military felt the need to assign names to the four main regions of Vietnam?
Essay Topic 2
Major Trong does not tell Herr who the last emperor of Vietnam was but states that he is the new emperor. How does his statement affect Herr and the war? What do you make of Trong's refusal to answer Herr's question? Do you think Trong's statement is one based on truth or on greed for power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of illegal drugs and marijuana among Vietnam soldiers. Why were the drugs used? How were they obtained? What effect did the drugs have on the soldiers? What happened when strung out soldiers returned to the United States? Did the use of drugs in Vietnam influence the drug culture in America? How so?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)