|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr wear on his first day in Vietnam?
2. Where does Herr place Khe Sanh?
3. What geographical area is close to Khe Sanh and is dangerous even without the war?
4. When does Herr finally take up a weapon?
5. What is a fatal mistake made by the Marines?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
2. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
3. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
4. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
5. Describe the mortar attack in which Herr is injured, his understanding of the situation, and the possible truth about the soldier's laughter.
6. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
7. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
8. Why do soldiers take body part trophies? Does drug use play a role in this practice?
9. Discuss the difference between Prager and Herr and General Tompkins.
10. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rock and roll culture in America during the 1960s. How did the music parallel the political environment of the decade? How did the lives of the rock artists mimic the experiences of the Vietnam soldiers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how exhaustion and frustration with the war affect the soldiers. What do the soldiers do that costs some of them their lives? What has their time in country done to their belief in the war and in the odds of survival?
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)