|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fought the Vietnamese in Dien Bien Phu?
2. When did the First Indochina War end?
3. The Marines feel one of them is worth how many regular soldiers?
4. President Johnson's comment about Khe Sanh is considered what?
5. How many times does the young marine miss his transport?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
2. How does the presence of the correspondents lend importance to missions and also detract from the importance of the soldiers job?
3. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
4. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
5. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
6. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
7. Who are Day Tripper and Mayhew? What does Herr do with them?
8. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
9. Why does Herr feel emptiness and longing while visiting old friends?
10. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the truth of the war. The soldiers fight battles that are not won or lost but are reported as victories. What do you make of the officials decisions to lie about the real course of the war? What effect do the lies have on the soldiers? How does the lack of honesty affect the American public's impression of the war?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Page. What type of man is he? How does he act? Why do the Marines view Page as the real enemy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the culture of America that Vietnam Veterans returned to. How were they greeted and treated? What opportunities were available to them or denied them because of their time in Vietnam? How did their family members and friends treat returning soldiers?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)