|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most of the soldiers try to avoid in one way or another?
2. Where does the chapter's title come from?
3. The brass declare what after the Tet Offensive?
4. How do soldiers ensure the enemy is dead?
5. Who do the Montagnards hated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Vietnam War impact more than just the country of Vietnam?
2. Why does Herr feel emptiness and longing while visiting old friends?
3. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
4. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
5. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
6. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
7. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
8. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
9. Discuss Page's wound and his recovery.
10. What role does luck play in the lives of the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difficulty Herr and the other correspondents face during get togethers. Why is it difficult for them to act relaxed and talk normally? Why does Herr feel longing and emptiness during their meetings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the title of Chapter 4, Illumination Rounds. What are illumination rounds in a military sense? What are the illumination rounds Herr discusses?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effect of Martin Luther King Jr.'s death on black soldiers. Does news of the assassination affect the way black soldiers are treated? Do the black soldiers fight differently following news of the civil rights leader's death?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)