|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of transport is the young marine awaiting?
2. Who is Seann Flynn's famous father?
3. What happens on the day the young marine is supposed to leave?
4. Which president declares that Khe Sanh cannot fall to the NVA?
5. Who fought the Vietnamese in Dien Bien Phu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
2. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
3. What role does luck play in the lives of the soldiers?
4. Describe the battle at Khe Sanh.
5. Describe Herr's drug use and why the soldiers try to avoid their dreams.
6. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
7. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
8. Who is the Khe Sanh press secretary and what is his role in the Khe Sanh siege?
9. Describe what the soldiers and correspondents pack when going into battle.
10. Describe the types of reporters working in Vietnam and the reports that are sent back to the American public.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Page. What type of man is he? How does he act? Why do the Marines view Page as the real enemy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the geographical designations of Vietnam with the military names assigned to the areas. How do the military names further destroy the country of Vietnam? Why do you think that the military felt the need to assign names to the four main regions of Vietnam?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)