|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Herr tour a palace with?
2. What do men do to reduce glare?
3. What happens to South Vietnamese at Hue?
4. In what city is Herr's apartment?
5. What are the names the military gives to the geographical areas of Vietnam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Herr's comments about the NVA who refused to come out of his spider hole and the numerous ways a man can be killed in Vietnam.
2. Why does Herr feel emptiness and longing while visiting old friends?
3. Discuss the soldier who has already served three tours in Vietnam and wants to re-enlist for a fourth.
4. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
5. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
6. What is the attitude of the Marines? How does this attitude negatively affect the troops?
7. Describe China Beach and what soldiers do there.
8. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
9. What is the Khe Sanh Combat Base and who forms it?
10. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of the war correspondents in Vietnam. Are the correspondents always professional? Why do they take unnecessary risks? What type of reports do they send back to the States? What governing body edits the reports written in the field? Are all the reporters in Vietnam actual war correspondents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of Martin Luther King Jr.'s death on the Vietnam War both at home and overseas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Page. What type of man is he? How does he act? Why do the Marines view Page as the real enemy?
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)