|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names the military gives to the geographical areas of Vietnam?
2. What are the streets of Saigon full of?
3. What is the most popular strategy for ending the war according to the soldiers?
4. When was terrorism at its worst?
5. The brass declare what after the Tet Offensive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Herr feel emptiness and longing while visiting old friends?
2. Describe the effects of fatigue on the soldiers.
3. What is Soc Trang and what does it promise Herr?
4. Describe the battle for the Citadel in Hue.
5. Describe the soldier who tells Herr that he knows how to use both types of drugs to handle the war.
6. How does the presence of the correspondents lend importance to missions and also detract from the importance of the soldiers job?
7. Discuss what an NVA attack on Khe Sanh with the tanks would mean for the American soldiers.
8. Discuss Herr's comment that the military's use of "corps" zones reduces the character of the country.
9. Herr talks with a black Marine about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. What impact does the assassination have on the black soldiers in Vietnam?
10. Describe Herr's first encounter with the Marines and how that affects Herr.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of Martin Luther King Jr.'s death on the Vietnam War both at home and overseas.
Essay Topic 2
How does the attitude of the Marines compliment the denial of reality by government officials? How do both of these attitudes affect the morale of troops?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Herr's decision to take up a weapon and fight in the Tet Offensive. How does this act change Herr's part in the war?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)