|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the Americans best at fighting?
2. Where do the American soldiers get marijuana?
3. Which president declares that Khe Sanh cannot fall to the NVA?
4. Many soldiers carry what to keep them safe?
5. What is the official death toll for Ia Drang listed at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of the correspondents while in the field.
2. How does the news of Day Tripper and Mayhew affect Herr's time at China Beach?
3. Discuss the story about the soldier who is rewarded for killing more enemy and rescuing more prisoners than he actually did.
4. How does the Vietnam War impact more than just the country of Vietnam?
5. Describe the increasing intensity of the war and what the NVA are planning.
6. How does the battle of Ia Drang affect the American soldiers?
7. Discuss the meaning of Major Trong's statement that he is emperor now.
8. How do the soldiers feel about the war?
9. Describe the stories Herr hears from the soldiers.
10. Who are Day Tripper and Mayhew? What does Herr do with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Herr's statement that Saigon looks beautiful from the air but up close is really a crime ridden trash heap. How does this statement apply to the entire Vietnam War?
Essay Topic 2
Major Trong does not tell Herr who the last emperor of Vietnam was but states that he is the new emperor. How does his statement affect Herr and the war? What do you make of Trong's refusal to answer Herr's question? Do you think Trong's statement is one based on truth or on greed for power?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of illegal drugs and marijuana among Vietnam soldiers. Why were the drugs used? How were they obtained? What effect did the drugs have on the soldiers? What happened when strung out soldiers returned to the United States? Did the use of drugs in Vietnam influence the drug culture in America? How so?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)