|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Amir’s tone at the start of Scene Four?
2. What does Isaac claim to have done then immediately confess he did not do?
(a) Run with the bulls in Pamplona.
(b) Visit Tunisia.
(c) Fish for trout in the Apennines.
(d) Fight in Desert Storm.
3. What is Amir’s approach to airline security?
(a) He wears his most expensive clothes.
(b) He offers himself to be searched.
(c) He makes eye contact and reassuring glances at security.
(d) He does not fly.
4. How does Emily say the Quran sees humanity?
(a) As clans of people with various gods.
(b) As stubborn and self-interested.
(c) As needing loving guidance.
(d) As fallen divinity waiting to be redeemed.
5. Where does Amir say his parents were born?
(c) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What work of Emily’s does Amir say he prefers to the portrait of him?
2. What does Amir say he understands people feeling about Muslims who kill and die for their faith?
3. What does Amir say is at the heart of the Muslim religion?
4. What reason does Jory give Amir for his failure to be promoted?
5. What does Amir say he felt pride in, on 9/11/2001?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical circumstance complicates the question of Amir’s nationality?
2. What advice does Amir give Abe about how he expresses his political views, and what is Abe’s response?
3. What is the irony in Isaac’s praise for Emily’s portrait of Amir?
4. How is Abe’s appearance in Scene 4 different from his entrance in Scene 1?
5. What does Amir propose to Jory in Scene 3?
6. Why is Emily excited about Isaac and Jory’s visit at the beginning of Scene Three?
7. What is the meaning of the play’s title, in light of this final confrontation between Amir and Abe?
8. In Scene 4, Amir says that Emily was right about him: what was she right about?
9. What accusation does Abe level at Amir before he leaves in Scene 4?
10. What happened at work that made Amir forget to get wine?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)