The following version of this book was used to create this lesson plan: Akhtar, Ayad. Disgraced. Back Bay Books, 2013. Paperback version.
• The play, set in the summer of 2011, opens in an expensively-furnished apartment on New York City’s Upper East Side.
• Emily, a white woman in her early 30s, is painting her husband Amir, a man of 40, of South Asian descent, in his shirt and jacket but without pants.
• Emily is painting Amir in the style of Velázquez’ Portrait of Juan de Pareja.
• They are talking about a confrontation in which Amir felt a waiter was looking at him and Emily in an offensive, judgmental way.
• In flawless English that indicates that he is native to America, Amir tells Emily she should get her black Spanish ex-boyfriend to come sit for her paintings.
• She says that her father is still traumatized from this previous...
This section contains 2,922 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)