|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is it that comes to pick up David at the hospital after he is treated?
2. When Melanie and David enter his house, what does he offer her?
3. Who is Melanie Issacs?
4. Of what ethnicity is Soraya?
5. What relationship do Melanie and her roommate have?
Short Essay Questions
1. David describes Melanie as "clever enough, but unengaged." What might the attraction to such a person suggest about David?
2. After Melanie's boyfriend confronts David in his office, he comes to class with Melanie. What is his purpose for this visit?
3. How does Melanie's cousin Pauline treat David over the telephone when he calls for Melanie?
4. After class, David comments that if he were alone with Melanie, he would call her "his little dove" and embrace her. Why then does he treat her so sternly?
5. At David's hearing, what are the two charges to which he pleads guilty?
6. What does Bev's acceptance of David, even after he tells her of his forced resignation, suggest about her?
7. What might David Lurie offer in his defense of his sexual relations with Melanie Isaacs, his student?
8. When David first learns of the charge of harassment, what is his estimation of Melanie's active part in the charge?
9. What is it about Soraya's character does David find appealing?
10. When Melanie is with David in his daughter's room, why might Melanie have such an interest in David's previous sexual conquests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 16. David cares very much for his daughter, yet repeatedly feels that he ineffective in his goal to help make her life easier. Is he actually ineffective in her eyes or does he just imagine that Lucy sees him this way?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 15. What role do the treatment of animals, both dogs and sheep, play in David's transformation?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, the reader meets Soraya and in Chapter 2, the reader meets Melanie. Compare and contrast these two women. What do they have in common? What are their differences?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)