|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Melanie and David enter his house, what does he offer her?
2. Which description most accurately describes the clothing of the unwelcome visitor in David's office?
3. Who is Manas Mathabane?
4. On the evening of the visit of this unwelcome visitor, what possession of David's is vandalized?
5. Chapter 9 opens with David watching television. What is he watching?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David's opinion of Bev Shaw diminish what one might expect of someone who is a college professor?
2. When David puts on soft music and offers wine, he describes this as a ritual. What is this a ritual for?
3. While David pleads guilty, he will not say that he repents. What is his reason for refusing this request to sign a repentance?
4. When Melanie's father calls David, how does David respond to Melanie's father's request for help?
5. In Chapter 12, why is David amazed that Bill Shaw comes to the hospital to pick him up after his burns are treated?
6. When Lucy asks why David isn't trying to justify his actions at the university, what reason does he offer?
7. What does it mean when Ms. Rassool says that they, the committee, may have a duty to protect David from himself?
8. How does Melanie's cousin Pauline treat David over the telephone when he calls for Melanie?
9. After Melanie's boyfriend confronts David in his office, he comes to class with Melanie. What is his purpose for this visit?
10. Of what significance is it that Soraya wiped off her makeup so readily when David asked her to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 12. Explain how Lucy's rape altered her personality. Discuss Lucy's remarks about the issue of racism and inherent guilt in South Africa and how this guilt influences her beliefs and actions thus far in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, the reader meets Soraya and in Chapter 2, the reader meets Melanie. Compare and contrast these two women. What do they have in common? What are their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 16. How might the party Petrus has be a symbolic event in the story? Might this event crystallize conflict in the story?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)